Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

Just an FYI from today's CDC Cruise Ship Status Dashboard:

108 ships have opted in and participating in CDC's COVID Program for Cruise Ships. As of today:

44 are Green, 33 are Yellow and 31 are Orange (None are red)

Green means no reported cases of COVID or Covid-like illness (CLI)

Yellow means reported cases of COVID are below the threshold for CDC investigation

Orange means reported cases of COVID have met the threshold of reported cases for investigation

The following Princess cruise ships carrying passengers and crew have the following colour status:

Caribbean Princess      Orange

Discovery Princess       Green

Emerald Princess          Yellow

Enchanted Princess      Green

Grand Princess              Orange

Majestic Princess         Orange

Ruby Princess               Orange

I'm not sure when the CDC actually get around to updating their dashboard, but I don't think it is as frequent as daily

Edited by redtop101

My wife went downstairs to get us some ice and saw a fellow she recognized from the ship. He’s from Canada and he has to stay for 10 days before Canada will let him back in:(

the rest of his family flew home.

they were moving him to a new room cause his tv doesn’t work.

he said that he was under the impression that princess was going to send someone here to check on us all?

she also said he called the 800 number princess gave us onboard and still hasn’t heard back from them. His family made it back to Canada safely.

im beginning to feel lucky we didn’t get kicked off in Costa Rica or Mexico….

Edited by Optotronics
Added more
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

My wife never tested positive supposedly, so it might have been a cold or allergies for her. She going to the rooftop garden to get fresh air (wearing n95) and take some pictures.
I’m not going anywhere outside this room… about the time I do the cdc will show up;)

as for princess customer care, I’ll call them when we get home and see about them paying for the hotel and food.

then use our travel insurance to cover the airline flight back home and extra parking.

I think if they really cared about their “customer care” they wouldn’t have dropped all the testing and mask enforcement and wouldn’t have sent people shivering from Covid out to wait at the curb for an hour for transport to the hotel… or even made a priority to get those stuck in their quarantine cabins food and drink in a timely manner.

I agree with you about their customer care.  We are still onboard with my husband in isolation.  It continues to be a struggle to get food.  He us diabetic and this worries me.  I have been to guest services several times to complain and they assure me they will fix it.  It took 3 hours to place a breakfast order this morning.  Finally about 10 am pancakes arrived with no syrup.  Who the hel... eats pancakes without syrup?  As the negative spouse I am being tested every morning for 5 days.  Surprised they have your wife with you and they are not testing her, but you are "out the door" now and no worries.  Not that they worry that much about their positive cases onboard.  Hubby has had 1 phone call to check on him in 4 days.  His O2 was 93 when he was sent to isolation.  I got off the ship in SF and bought an oximeter to send to him since no one else is monitoring him!

Edited by Joy_K
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Since Ruby has removed all (or almost all) of their POSITIVE pax.....why has the CDC color not been reset to GREEN?

I believe the color code represents both passengers and crew.  And there is reportedly a routine delay in reporting and updating the CDC info.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

bought an oximeter to send to him since no one else is monitoring him!

Good, good, good.  Monitor his oxygen every few hours.  You are so smart for doing that! 

Sorry about all the other stuff.  I would not be a happy camper.  Keep advocating for your husband.  

Edited by Level six
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

I agree with you about their customer care.  We are still onboard with my husband in isolation.  It continues to be a struggle to get food.  He us diabetic and this worries me.  I have been to guest services several times to complain and they assure me they will fix it.  It took 3 hours to place a breakfast order this morning.  Finally about 10 am pancakes arrived with no syrup.  Who the hel... eats pancakes without syrup?  As the negative spouse I am being tested every morning for 5 days.  Surprised they have your wife with you and they are not testing her, but you are "out the door" now and no worries.  Not that they worry that much about their positive cases onboard.  Hubby has had 1 phone call to check on him in 4 days.  His O2 was 93 when he was sent to isolation.  I got off the ship in SF and bought an oximeter to send to him since no one else is monitoring him!

This is so disturbing as being a diabetic, alone and not the proper food can be disastrous.   It seems they isolate & wash their hands of it.  Shame on them.  There should be dedicated employees assigned to those in isolation to phone and continue check ups if they need anything.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Article says: "All of the infected people were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic,..."

I think that this is a statement parroted by every organization in the world these days.  Everyone with Covid is asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic...yet the hospitalization rates are spiking all over the place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

I can relate, we ordered sodas and ice with lunch around 12:30 the other day and some of the food was missing and no drinks or ice. I called and still none. Finally around 5 hours or more later it arrived. It took forever and  it able to get they on special numbers they gave us for ordering.

Finally got dinner after 9pm and they didn’t get that right either on top of bringing only 1 set of silverware.

when the sodas and ice arrived, we discovered their were no glasses in the room for drinking.

plus we were in a room with a refrigerator for many hours and at on point we were told that quarantine rooms didn’t have refrigerators??

42 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Since Ruby has removed all (or almost all) of their POSITIVE pax.....why has the CDC color not been reset to GREEN?

No because they didn’t disembark all positive cases. There were passengers in quarantine that were staying on for Hawaii.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this is related to the Covid-19 on the Ruby but I have a cruise booked on the Ruby due to embark in about a month.  I was green status in the Medallion app then late yesterday it turned to blue status. I took a look and the previously check marked "Passage Contract & COVID-19 Risk Notification or Acceptance" confirmations no longer had check marks.  I am not sure if Princess have suddenly changed the verbiage of the agreement or if it is just another Medallion app glitch.

22 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Article says: "All of the infected people were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic,..."

I think that this is a statement parroted by every organization in the world these days.  Everyone with Covid is asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic...yet the hospitalization rates are spiking all over the place.

Did anyone on the Ruby require hospitalization? I thought they were sequestered at a hotel or their homes which would only be if they were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. 

@brisaltaI'm on the Ruby April 23rd and still green. So maybe your app is just having a hiccup

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Did anyone on the Ruby require hospitalization? I thought they were sequestered at a hotel or their homes. 

@brisaltaI'm on the Ruby April 23rd and still green. So maybe your app is just having a hiccup

They did have a couple ambulances waiting, but didn’t see anyone rolled out.

on the 2nd formal night we went to the stardust show and you could tell they replaced a couple of show people with others who didn’t know what was going and made for a lack of coordination in the show. They must have been off boarded in Panama because we saw lots of baggage when we were getting on the tenders.

8 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

No because they didn’t disembark all positive cases. There were passengers in quarantine that were staying on for Hawaii.

I cannot understand that.  From everything I have read re: Princess Covid protocols I expected everyone who tested positive to be in quarantine along with travel companions and disembarked to further quarantine until testing negative.

makes me reconsider if I will cruise in May, if I must have misunderstood their protocols and they are keeping positive passengers ( who are higher risk- diabetes) on the ship for a second cruise.

hope all recover safely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

They did have a couple ambulances waiting, but didn’t see anyone rolled out.

I would certainly hope so. Medical evaluation. Not needing a higher level of care than DIY

6 minutes ago, dog said:

From everything I have read re: Princess Covid protocols I expected everyone who tested positive to be in quarantine along with travel companions and disembarked to further quarantine until testing negative.

From what I understood asymptomatic could quarantine 5 days onboard or until testing negative just like on land

This is not March 2020. Now there's vaccines, effective meds, and known treatments for a virus that has mutated to be less deadly

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Did anyone on the Ruby require hospitalization?

So are there only three categories now?  Asymptomatic, hospitalized and dead?  I would not classify the following description as either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.  If this is describing "mildly symptomatic" then the world has gone collectively crazy.

last night was rough with many visits to the toilet to..,.

muscles ache like never before, head pounding and very congested; but no fever. I don’t want to even move, but breathing is good and coughing the Covid out. Yesterday I felt the worst was over, now I’m not so sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Maybe some that live locally or even the hotel can give you some suggestions on restaurants that deliver themselves.  DoorDash adds on so many fees that it greatly ups the price of the order.  

Hope you feel better soon.  

In the San Francisco area, gas is at least $6 a gallon and restaurants that used to deliver are now forced to charge fees to make up for that.  It’s just an expensive place for any and everything right now.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mikel1733 said:

Crew members may have it

from news report

The Port of San Francisco said that cruise ships and other vessels are responsible for arranging private transportation and private accommodations on shore for COVID-positive passengers or crew to use for quarantine

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dog said:

I cannot understand that.  From everything I have read re: Princess Covid protocols I expected everyone who tested positive to be in quarantine along with travel companions and disembarked to further quarantine until testing negative.

makes me reconsider if I will cruise in May, if I must have misunderstood their protocols and they are keeping positive passengers ( who are higher risk- diabetes) on the ship for a second cruise.

hope all recover safely.

Makes no sense why keep a high risk positive on the ship?

I don't get the decison making.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

So are there only three categories now?  Asymptomatic, hospitalized and dead? 

No. There's the "symptomatic" range which goes from worst flu-like ever to requiring inpatient tx. If you feel that you have been misdiagnosed and require hospitalization be re-evaluated 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

All of the infected people were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, and were quarantined and isolated onboard while monitored by medical staff, the statement said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joy_K said:

There should be zero reason that one shouldn't be able to get food of any kind in a reasonable time frame. Customer care seriously lacking.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

In the San Francisco area, gas is at least $6 a gallon and restaurants that used to deliver are now forced to charge fees to make up for that.  It’s just an expensive place for any and everything right now.  

What is the daily food $$ amount?? Thai ran us $14pp + tx + tip Friday. Breakfast is often $10. So it needs to be fairly hefty ..... 

• Like 1