Covid outbreak on the Ruby

Optotronics

We "may" have a better chance of being safe. We board Royal Princess on May 2nd and I'm pretty sure that will be her first voyage with passengers since the shutdown. Not having had passengers on prior to our voyage "may" decrease the risk. In our case, we embark and disembark in Canada so I doubt there is even the slightest chance of simply going back home if we test positive. Canadian immigration folks don't really have a sense of humor as far as ignoring their directives.

• Like 1

I cancelled my 4/11 cruise on Ruby this morning. The idea that a B2B passenger has been out and about for 4 days before testing positive has me worried. (Through no fault of her own-not placing blame here at all!)  I got a great deal on the cruise and live close to the port, but this wasn't the trip of a lifetime, so I can skip it, even if I'm out the money. (We'll see what happens when I trigger the insurance for cancel for any reason). I will be interested to see what happens when they get back from Hawaii. I'd much rather be an observer at this point than a participant. Loosening the mask policy and allowing self service at the buffet isn't going to help matters. Time will tell. I wish all of you safe travels and hope those who came down with it recover quickly. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

I cancelled my 4/11 cruise on Ruby this morning. The idea that a B2B passenger has been out and about for 4 days before testing positive has me worried. (Through no fault of her own-not placing blame here at all!)  I got a great deal on the cruise and live close to the port, but this wasn't the trip of a lifetime, so I can skip it, even if I'm out the money. (We'll see what happens when I trigger the insurance for cancel for any reason). I will be interested to see what happens when they get back from Hawaii. I'd much rather be an observer at this point than a participant. Loosening the mask policy and allowing self service at the buffet isn't going to help matters. Time will tell. I wish all of you safe travels and hope those who came down with it recover quickly. 

Your choice is valid if you feel uncomfortable under the circumstances.  Since you purchased the cancel for any reason insurance (it sounds like you did from your post), you will either get your money back or FCCs back, so nothing really lost except for the cost of the insurance.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

I am the one who got to "run loose" for 4 days before testing positive.  I took my instructions very seriously and only left my cabin 1 time during those 4 days other than to report to medical each morning for testing.  I was told to wear my KN95 any time I was outside my cabin and not to remove it.  Any food or beverages I had during that time was consumed in my cabin.  I can about guarantee you no one caught covid from me.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Joy_K said:

I am the one who got to "run loose" for 4 days before testing positive.  I took my instructions very seriously and only left my cabin 1 time during those 4 days other than to report to medical each morning for testing.  I was told to wear my KN95 any time I was outside my cabin and not to remove it.  Any food or beverages I had during that time was consumed in my cabin.  I can about guarantee you no one caught covid from me.

From the sound of it, you are a responsible person who takes this very seriously. I believe most people would never intentionally spread it, but you are one person out of 2,000 or so passengers and unfortunately, I fear not everyone would be as careful under the same circumstances. My faith in humanity has faltered a little since this whole thing started. Lol. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

From the sound of it, you are a responsible person who takes this very seriously. I believe most people would never intentionally spread it, but you are one person out of 2,000 or so passengers and unfortunately, I fear not everyone would be as careful under the same circumstances. My faith in humanity has faltered a little since this whole thing started. Lol. 

While I don't disagree with your point at all, I am wondering what the rules are "on land" where you are from in terms of close contacts? Here in BC, Canada, close contacts are NOT required to isolate - so, if my kid tests positive, I am still allowed (expected) to go to work, etc providing I don't have symptoms. No requirement for me to get tested. Life continues as normal. I am far more worried about Covid being spread this route than I am about getting it on a ship (though I agree with you that close contacts absolutely SHOULD be isolating wherever they happen to be)!!!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

I understand your choice.  I was uncomfortable reading about the positive Covid cases being allowed to stay on-board for b2b. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dog said:

I understand your choice.  I was uncomfortable reading about the positive Covid cases being allowed to stay on-board for b2b. 

Gotta agree with your statement.  I thought they would be off loaded, either to covid hotel to finish quaratine,  or drive home. 

Cruise with confidence?   😒 Its more than alittle disconcerting.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Gotta agree with your statement.  I thought they would be off loaded, either to covid hotel to finish quaratine,  or drive home. 

Cruise with confidence?   😒 Its more than alittle disconcerting.

actually , the Cruise With Cinfidence, I have used twice. Happy with that as I expected my insurance to be used, but got all back as FCC. Fair 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dog said:

actually , the Cruise With Cinfidence, I have used twice. Happy with that as I expected my insurance to be used, but got all back as FCC. Fair 

I'm no longer 30 days out, so I think it's cancel for any reason?

21 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

While I don't disagree with your point at all, I am wondering what the rules are "on land" where you are from in terms of close contacts? Here in BC, Canada, close contacts are NOT required to isolate - so, if my kid tests positive, I am still allowed (expected) to go to work, etc providing I don't have symptoms. No requirement for me to get tested. Life continues as normal. I am far more worried about Covid being spread this route than I am about getting it on a ship (though I agree with you that close contacts absolutely SHOULD be isolating wherever they happen to be)!!!

We are to stay home if someone in the home has COVID. I imagine there have been COVID positive cases on the 2 cruises I have already been on, but not as many as there were on the Panama Canal return. I guess knowing kind of ruined it for me? That and the idea of not having room service delivered in a timely manner, plus I'm on a special diet. If things went south, they'd go very south. 🤣 I've been lucky enough to sail twice already and have a few more planned. Just thought I'd share that it's okay to not be okay. Haha. 

• Like 5

@voljeep  I have an understanding that if you have private transportation home at the port Princess let’s you go.  The docs say you can arrange to quarantine in a different hotel so why not Mi Casa hotel?   but for the life of me I am not able to find the passage right now that says you can use private transport home. I recall it being buried somewhere.  When I find it again I’ll bookmark it and share. 

It seems to me if you’re asymptotic and driving your own car I would be medically cleared to travel home. Or let’s say I felt like ick. Son and hubby would drive over and get me and drive my car back. 

these are the passages from the covid 19 protection plan that I think support my thoughts. I think it relies on what it means to be medically cleared to travel. 

• We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.

• Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home? 
    Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@voljeep  I have an understanding that if you have private transportation home at the port Princess let’s you go.  The docs say you can arrange to quarantine in a different hotel so why not Mi Casa hotel?   but for the life of me I am not able to find the passage right now that says you can use private transport home. I recall it being buried somewhere.  When I find it again I’ll bookmark it and share. 

It seems to me if you’re asymptotic and driving your own car I would be medically cleared to travel home. Or let’s say I felt like ick. Son and hubby would drive over and get me and drive my car back. 

these are the passages from the covid 19 protection plan that I think support my thoughts. I think it relies on what it means to be medically cleared to travel. 

• We’ll designate a Dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until you or the member of your immediate travel party is medically cleared to travel home.

• Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home? 
    Hotel accommodations will be arranged by Princess with one of our contracted hotel partners. Should you select a different hotel, you will be reimbursed only for the amount of the contracted hotel rate. Any incidental charges, costs related to room upgrades and additional room nights in excess of what is provided by Princess, requested or arranged by you, is your responsibility. Princess will provide hotel accommodations until a medical professional clears you to travel home.

What they say in their shiny website is not how it always is:(

we’ve done 3 of our 5 days in Covid hotel and still no contact from princess (except for more cruise ads in my email)

we call the 800 number for liaison the first 2 days of quarantine without getting through. I really doubt we will need medical clearance when our time is up… especially since There has been zero contact so far.

I usually get a review form from princess the same day we disembark, but not yet…I have a feeling they know better than to ask.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, dog said:

My Cruise with Confidence comment was more along the lines of,

How can I cruise with confidence when known covid positives remain onboard....

they don't have to get off to Hotel quarantine, or go home?

Their rewarded with cruising some more?

We are suppose to have Negative covid tests within 2-3 days before we board.

But known positive cases get to stay on. 😖

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

In isolation. Not wandering around the ship. And their close contacts are tested daily and not allowed to leave their cabins unmasked, nor eat or drink outside their cabin. And yet new passengers who haven’t been tested for as many as six days and may have flown to San Francisco and just stood in line talking to each other on Sunday for hours while boarding the ship are running around unmasked.

In transits are the least of the issues. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Yes, I understand what you meant. The wording-.

anyway I agree after observing the spread on the Diamond in Tokyo with all quarantined for 2 weeks , tells us keeping positive cases on-board is not controlling the spread.

I was surprised to hear all did not disembark to finish quarantine and close contacts were allowed to move about ship.

I do appreciate being informed.

with the warnings I will keep in mind, we intend to cruise in May, mostly on the balcony with strateies  to stay safe.  We will deal with whatever. There are thousands enjoying their cruises.  Looking forward to the seafood in Alaska cruise.

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

In isolation. Not wandering around the ship. And their close contacts are tested daily and not allowed to leave their cabins unmasked, nor eat or drink outside their cabin. And yet new passengers who haven’t been tested for as many as six days and may have flown to San Francisco and just stood in line talking to each other on Sunday for hours while boarding the ship are running around unmasked.

In transits are the least of the issues. 

Sounds like it could get ugly by the time you get to Hawaii with a higher passenger count onboard 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

Sounds like it could get ugly by the time you get to Hawaii with a higher passenger count onboard 

Higher passenger count, less crew, has to be difficult for them.

be safe. Take care all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

What they say in their shiny website is not how it always is:(

we’ve done 3 of our 5 days in Covid hotel and still no contact from princess (except for more cruise ads in my email)

we call the 800 number for liaison the first 2 days of quarantine without getting through. I really doubt we will need medical clearance when our time is up… especially since There has been zero contact so far.

I usually get a review form from princess the same day we disembark, but not yet…I have a feeling they know better than to ask.

You haven't heard from Princess yet?  There are no words to describe how horrible that is.

Are you feeling better?  And how is your wife doing?

As for the post cruise survey, those are kind of hit and miss these days.  No one I've spoken to who was on my February cruise got one.  Well actually I did get a link from Customer Service after I submitted a question about it through the "contact us" section of their website.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

You haven't heard from Princess yet?  There are no words to describe how horrible that is.

Are you feeling better?  And how is your wife doing?

As for the post cruise survey, those are kind of hit and miss these days.  No one I've spoken to who was on my February cruise got one.  Well actually I did get a link from Customer Service after I submitted a question about it through the "contact us" section of their website.

I’m getting better in that my ears are starting to get a little movement with I hold my nose and blow, but still plugged up. No more chills and better breathing; but I’m so tired and weak muscles.

my wife is doing better, she never tested positive onboard 

I think any help from

princess got back on the ship and left on Sunday. It was such a bad disembark.

didn’t have to go they customs or show passport at all…but it was

cold/wet that morning and people with Covid shivering in it. A fellow by me after waiting for transport for 1/2 hour had to go pee and they wouldn’t let him back inside… so he relieved himself around the side of a big round tank outside the door.

will be glad to get home on Friday night:)

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Definitely scratching my head on this one. Allowing to continue paints a poor image for PC safety protocols. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

I’m getting better in that my ears are starting to get a little movement with I hold my nose and blow, but still plugged up. No more chills and better breathing; but I’m so tired and weak muscles.

my wife is doing better, she never tested positive onboard 

I think any help from

princess got back on the ship and left on Sunday. It was such a bad disembark.

didn’t have to go they customs or show passport at all…but it was

cold/wet that morning and people with Covid shivering in it. A fellow by me after waiting for transport for 1/2 hour had to go pee and they wouldn’t let him back inside… so he relieved himself around the side of a big round tank outside the door.

will be glad to get home on Friday night:)

OMG!

8 minutes ago, Optotronics said:

How did you get princess’ attention and a call back? We would like to give someone a piece of our minds about this whole ordeal.

First we received on Monday from Princess evaluations of how they did! To make a long story short I wrote some not so desirable stuff and compared them to our Oceania cruise prior to boarding them AND how deplorable from my eyes of what was happening with their lack of caring and how shoddy from the Captains announcements which was bad since half of what he was saying you could not understand him at all!

As a DDS I saw officers walking around at the beginning of cruise without masks on and SMOKING WHERE YOU WERE NOT TO BE SMOKING!! I even called them on it and they laughed! Come on this cruise I knew was doomed from the start! I hope and pray you and wife are better! We live in 
a little beach town in Encinitas California next to Del Mar and tonight we enjoyed watching the ocean from our home knowing we were home and not watching out for ourselves because of all the crap onboard Princess. God speed 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1