Unmasking… new protocols 4/22

6 hours ago, rudeney said:

I got COVID from a masked person.  We were socially-distanced, and according to CDC guidelines, were never in "close contact".  Maybe had I also been wearing a mask, I would not have contracted it, but obviously her wearing a mask did not help me.  

I'm curious...how do you know who you caught it from?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

You would think.  However on my Oct. Oasis cruise, MTD tables where literally 6 inches apart in some sections.  😞  Anthem in Dec. was better, but Enchantment in late March was also very close (tables for 2 were basically one long table for 10).

I understand, and I sat at those side-by-sides, too.  The TABLES are 6 inches apart, but the PEOPLE are more like 2-3 feet apart.  Not ideal, and if I sat without eating or drinking for long periods, I just put my mask back on.  That rarely happened.

The Windjammer, where I ate breakfast and lunch, was much further apart.  Also, the Jewel has a wonderful outside eating area off the back of the ship, and also large couches and chairs for eating on in the front outside.

It's not the eating social distancing that I am worried about, but standing or walking in large groups of unmasked people on the ship.  I made a point not to get on an elevator with more than 5 people.  If I was in the back I faced backwards, and in the front I would just get off and wait for the next elevator.  I always wore a mask in elevators, and anytime I left my cabin.

I know 95+% are vaccinated on RCCL ships.  It's the young children I'm more concerned about, or adults who might not be vaccinated for medical reasons.  Even though I'm vaxxed and boosted, I can still CARRY the virus to others. 

So, I try to keep as safe from it as possible and still have wonderful cruises.  I truly was not inconvenienced by wearing my masks, and no one mentioned it except to tell me they like all my different colored blingy masks that matched my clothes.   😁

With 10 negative COVID tests since mid-February, I'm satisfied with my "personal protocols".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pcur said:

I understand, and I sat at those side-by-sides, too.  The TABLES are 6 inches apart, but the PEOPLE are more like 2-3 feet apart.  Not ideal, and if I sat without eating or drinking for long periods, I just put my mask back on.  That rarely happened.

The Windjammer, where I ate breakfast and lunch, was much further apart.  Also, the Jewel has a wonderful outside eating area off the back of the ship, and also large couches and chairs for eating on in the front outside.

It's not the eating social distancing that I am worried about, but standing or walking in large groups of unmasked people on the ship.  I made a point not to get on an elevator with more than 5 people.  If I was in the back I faced backwards, and in the front I would just get off and wait for the next elevator.  I always wore a mask in elevators, and anytime I left my cabin.

I know 95+% are vaccinated on RCCL ships.  It's the young children I'm more concerned about, or adults who might not be vaccinated for medical reasons.  Even though I'm vaxxed and boosted, I can still CARRY the virus to others. 

So, I try to keep as safe from it as possible and still have wonderful cruises.  I truly was not inconvenienced by wearing my masks, and no one mentioned it except to tell me they like all my different colored blingy masks that matched my clothes.   😁

With 10 negative COVID tests since mid-February, I'm satisfied with my "personal protocols".

Just a quick question, before Covid, did you worry about carrying viruses/diseases to those that are compromised?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From CDC.com:

Cloth masks have been used in healthcare and community settings to protect the wearer from respiratory infections. The use of cloth masks during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic is under debate. The filtration effectiveness of cloth masks is generally lower than that of medical masks and respirators; however, cloth masks may provide some protection if well designed and used correctly. Multilayer cloth masks, designed to fit around the face and made of water-resistant fabric with a high number of threads and finer weave, may provide reasonable protection. In community settings, however, cloth masks may be used to prevent community spread of infections by sick or asymptomatically infected persons, and the public should be educated about their correct use.

I didn't start wearing N95 masks until a few months ago, so I am of the opinion that the masks I did wear helped me and others around me.  I live in an area where masking was mandated by local government, and all businesses. 

Edited by pcur

7 minutes ago, BND said:

Just a quick question, before Covid, did you worry about carrying viruses/diseases to those that are compromised?  

Yes, actually.  I did not go out much if I had a bad cold or was coughing.  If I did go out I pulled up my clothing when I had to cough.  Didn't do this thinking of "compromised" people, but just all people I might be around.

I had a serious viral respiratory infection that had a long recuperation period when I was 20.  I missed an entire quarter of college.  Hard lesson, and I was careful around other people when I was sick.  I wish whomever gave me the Hong Kong flu in September 1968 would have been similarly inclined.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, erinsmom03 said:

Updated Mask Policy for Royal Caribbean Sailings

As you know, our protocols are fluid and subject to change. We proactively review all of our requirements to meet the guidance of various government and health authorities to ensure the health and safety of our guests and crew.

Due to recent changes in mask guidance, we’ve updated our mask policy, effective immediately, for all of our sailings where we've announced protocols, excluding Singapore departures.

Updated Mask Policy

Masks are optional for vaccinated guests and recommended for unvaccinated children while onboard. In our terminals, masks are optional unless required by local regulation. Some destinations we visit may require masks. Guests under 2 years old don’t need to wear a mask. These protocols are subject to change.

Thank you for your continued understanding as we work diligently to provide you with the very best cruise experience. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon! 

Well, it is a start but not enough to get me on a ship.  We haven't worn masks for over a year including inside areas for extended periods of time.  Just got back from a wonderful land vacation where I saw a handful of people wearing masks and crowds of people not wearing masks inside and out.  Therefore, the thought of maybe having to wear a mask at any time during a vacation makes me say thanks but no thanks, I will spend my money someplace else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Well, it is a start but not enough to get me on a ship.  We haven't worn masks for over a year including inside areas for extended periods of time.  Just got back from a wonderful land vacation where I saw a handful of people wearing masks and crowds of people not wearing masks inside and out.  Therefore, the thought of maybe having to wear a mask at any time during a vacation makes me say thanks but no thanks, I will spend my money someplace else.

I just got off a b2b on the Jewel.  99% of the people did not wear masks on the ship.  They only wore them where mandatory:  some cruise terminals and some businesses in port where required.

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

That is the joy of being free to make our now choices... I am thrilled to be going on our next cruise in less than 2 weeks. We were on one a month ago, and the limited times we had to wear our masks didn't bother us at all. 

8 minutes ago, pcur said:

I just got off a b2b on the Jewel.  99% of the people did not wear masks on the ship.  They only wore them where mandatory:  some cruise terminals and some businesses in port where required.

That is enough to make it a hard no for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

First, I hope you didn't have Covid too hard, and had no long term effects.  

You can't be sure her mask didn't help you.  Had she not been masked, you might have received a much larger initial loading dose of the virus, which, depending on your vax status, might have resulted in a more severe case.

Regarding the comment that a person with wearing a mask didnt help, I will point out the concept of viral load and disease severity.  By way if example, my BIL was covid positive with almost no symptoms due to a brief exposure traced to a restaurant.  My sister who slept with him while he was shedding got very sick, not hospital, but 2 weeks of misery.

So, had the person not worn a mask, it is likely you would have been even more sick.  Viruses work like soldiers attacking your defending army.  The more overwhelming the number of soldiers in, the higher liklihood you get overrun and seriously ill.  Limited numbers and you might not even become sick.

I think it is useful for folks to remember that getting covid is not a binary thing, sure you might test positive from a masked person, but it is likely if they were unmasked the person you replied to would likely have received 2-10x or more the viruses and gotten sick faster and worse.

Something to think about.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes I did. I stayed home  or wore a mask at work when sick and was generally thoughtful of others so they did not fall sick. My first microbiology course in college was a huge influence on me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruising sister said:

Yes I did. I stayed home  or wore a mask at work when sick and was generally thoughtful of others so they did not fall sick. My first microbiology course in college was a huge influence on me!

HA!  I wish my "influence" had been like yours!  3 months out of my young life:  POOF!!

26 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

That is the joy of being free to make our now choices... I am thrilled to be going on our next cruise in less than 2 weeks. We were on one a month ago, and the limited times we had to wear our masks didn't bother us at all. 

Same here. Wearing a mask really doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

So, had the person not worn a mask, it is likely you would have been even more sick. 

I'm not the poster who was sick.  Did you mean to respond to @rudeney?

In any case you and I made the same point, but you gave more explanation. @rudeney's initial viral load might have been much higher if the person he was exposed to hadn't been wearing a mask.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes

57 minutes ago, BND said:

No. Never. But that is the problem with sneaky, stupid Covid, in that you don't know you have it and can give it to others. If you are really sick with a cold or the flu, you don't go out much anyway either, and that probably won't change. My dentist made a good comment early on when they stopped the temperature checks, "If you have a high fever, you are probably not out walking around." :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...how do you know who you caught it from?

I caught it from Cheri, the lady who cleans our house.  She was here the Wednesday before Thanksgiving 2020.  She was wearing a mask (her choice) and gloves while cleaning.  Both my wife and I work from home with offices on different floors.  Even before the lockdowns, we didn't leave the house very often, and of course during that time, we ventured out rarely and were masked as mandated. 

We were only in the same room with Cheri very briefly as she was leaving.  My wife was inviting her to join us for Thanksgiving dinner since all of her family is out of town.  We were standing at least 10 feet apart across the dining room table for less than 15 minutes while having this conversation. 

The next morning, Cheri called to say she was not feeling well (GI issues) and would not be coming over to eat.  Friday she called to let us know that she had tested positive for COVID.  She said she got it from the lady whose house she cleaned the day before ours who had called her to tell her she was positive.  That Sunday, I began to feel the first tickles in my throat signifying the start of a cold, so I started my proven cure - Mucinex DM and Johnnie Walker.  

Ironically, no one else that came over Thursday (kids, son-in-law) nor my wife got sick.  We are fairly certain the youngest had COVID early on as she was exposed in her student apartment in Georgia.  A friend helped her and her roommates setup a new TV, then stay to watch a movie.  He tested positive the next week and died a week later (unfortunately he had some very high risk pre-existing conditions).  She never got tested, but the whole apartment was sick with a bad cold/flu for a week. At that time, it was hard to get tested and most were just going to the ER< but they decided not bother.

12 hours ago, pcur said:

No worries about my unvaccinated children. They (and us) already had COVID, and they only had a low fever. That's it. I want to bet that any unvaccinated child OR an unvaccinated young adult in excellent health is LESS at risk than a boosted 70 year old and/or an individual with autoimmune disease. And I can say this thanks to Omicron which is a lot less deadly than previous variants. You can find all kind of stats of healthy adults and children dying/being hospitalized with Covid but the vast (if not all) majority of those are from the Alpha and Delta variants. We're at a spot as good as we can hope for with the virus: stop worrying, protect yourself if needed and enjoy life!

Edited by exm
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, pcur said:

It's the young children I'm more concerned about, or adults who might not be vaccinated for medical reasons. 

A vaccinated adult has a far higher risk of covid than an unvaccinated child.

Plus the CDC just said that as of February, at least 75% of kids have already had covid.

• Like 1

Guess what everyone!  I had the flu just about every year.  Now, it is estimated that 60% of adults and 73% of kids were exposed, and carry the antibodies.  Our medical leader, Dr. Fauci said that in the USA the pandemic phase is over.  Masks are not required anyplace, except for a few stray governments that can't let it go.  SO WHY ARE WE STILL DEBATING WEARING A MASK!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sooo...back to the original post...masks are optional for everyone now on a cruise and in the terminal. Now waiting for the testing and vaccines to be lifted.

I seem to be the odd one out on this thread who has unmasked and been with crowds for a year now. Saw friends and family since May 2020. I am unvaccinated and never have gotten covid. None of this scares me and it is actually sad that if they don't lift the vaccine mandate, I will have to get it ONLY for cruising as nothing else requires it in my life anymore. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Sooo...back to the original post...masks are optional for everyone now on a cruise and in the terminal. Now waiting for the testing and vaccines to be lifted.

I seem to be the odd one out on this thread who has unmasked and been with crowds for a year now. Saw friends and family since May 2020. I am unvaccinated and never have gotten covid. None of this scares me and it is actually sad that if they don't lift the vaccine mandate, I will have to get it ONLY for cruising as nothing else requires it in my life anymore. 

+1

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Not only one, except for Dr appts, Flying and in Cruise Terminal 3wks ago haven't needed to wear Mask in 2 yrs. Last wk no Masking during turn around required, even 2/3 Workers in Terminal were without them. Now another wk later as I get off my B4B along with Port Terminal, good to go at MIA and my Flight Home. Delta Air even sent me an update 3 days ago that it's optional on their Plane's and at MIA. It's Good getting back to Normal...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not only one, except for Dr appts, Flying and in Cruise Terminal 3wks ago haven't needed to wear Mask in 2 yrs. Last wk no Masking during turn around required, even 2/3 Workers in Terminal were without them. Now another wk later as I get off my B4B along with Port Terminal, good to go at MIA and my Flight Home. Delta Air even sent me an update 3 days ago that it's optional on there Plane's and at MIA. It's Good getting back to Normal...

It is wonderful. I only wear them now for doctors appts also. That is all. 

• Like 3