Review: Wonder How This Will Go? The Sixth Sailing Ever of Wonder of the Seas

Ah!   That new ship smell!

IMG_2964.JPG.87fa7dda1a13dc0c9708afd814ba6201.JPG

It's been a long long time for me. I think the last nearly new ship I sailed was Allure so this was long overdue.

Let me set the table for those who don't know my reviews.

Longtime cruiser here, started sailing RCI when I was a kid, never stopped. 🙂

IMG_2979.thumb.JPG.3be6a5702b75794fcf93b6673fa4c250.JPG

I live in Texas with my wife and two daughters.     

Lately we have enjoyed cruising with friends,  talking relatives of friends to join us but for the first time in a couple years we're doing one alone. 

I bought this cruise in the early days of the pandemic,  rock bottom pricing on Explorer out of Galveston.    It never happened.  and got lifted and shifted and FCC credited and swapped and swirled until somehow we wound up on the biggest ship in the world.

Those who are new to my reviews... I'm not onboard anymore.

We got back Wednesday. 

I'll gather my thoughts nightly and take you day by day through the week, kinda relive the week. 

I like to throw lots of photos into the mix as well, although I didn't take as many this time.

Just wanted to set the table so I can get myself in the review writing mode.

IMG_2974.thumb.JPG.d8db7e2076ceea6c02a2c3f2bfae2476.JPG

Hope you enjoy following along!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

DAY 00  -- Covid, classes, and coincidences

IMG_2070.thumb.JPG.ff0e5afdffdb6e1f057dc8ba17b0adee.JPG

Day Double Zero --- *****.   Yeah I know, but we did leave two days early for our cruise.

I spotted this 5 day on wonder... to cozumel and coco cay and saw it was over easter weekend.  Kids had Friday and Monday off. So they'd only miss two days of school.   We're not typically of the pull the kids out of school for a cruise club, but I could argue two days to my wife. 

Well, when it was time to book airfare I realized a problem.. WOWZA was it expensive.  Ship left Friday.   Thursday night airfare was $580 per person from DFW to MIA.  But if we left Wednesday night it dropped to $267.   So.... extra day off school.... and we left for Miami a little earlier.

IMG_2074.thumb.PNG.73c7e3ef7ae8cfd8be2ca1ec4f194e88.PNG

RCI regulations require the covid test no more than two days before departure, and i really didn't want to deal with trying to get one in Miami.   So my wife and I went midday on Wednesday, and brought the kids at 3:35pm right after school got out.... then straight to our flight for a 6pm departure.

My wife said, I understand the protocols but man I'm so sick of all this stress pre-cruise.   Scheduling times, worrying if they're positive,  what will we do then?  ugh.

She's a worrier.   Bags had been packed for days with lists and organization.   Me....   I threw a chunk of stuff from the dry cleaner in one side of my suitcase, and the random essentials in the other...  and it took me all of 15 minutes.    ANything i forget, oh well, you buy on board. 

We're at the gate for our flight and  I realize we brought the kids here straight from school, we leave at 6pm and land at 9:30pm  They didn't eat dinner.  Ugh.  tried to find something everyone can stomach in the airport.   Got back and notice a familiar face....  Adam Goldstein, former President of Royal Caribbean is standing there.   We left him be, but my kids would have loved to have bent his ear about the cost of the ultimate family suite. 

IMG_2084.thumb.JPG.08997f9bcccaf4f273c56621c4dae4ab.JPG

We settled in for the 3 hour flight... we took off late due to traffic in the area and the need to go around some storms.   I'm usually not a comedy person, but decided to watch the movie Date Night for some mindless entertainment.   

IMG_2077.thumb.JPG.01bbdb4714f2220cbf5e171fc9b5151f.JPG

My wife goes, "what are you watching?  you never laugh so much when you're watching tv"   She decided to fire it up too, convinced it had to be hilarious.  Upon landing she goes "it wasn't"  
ha!

IMG_2088.thumb.JPG.f1a2628a29c87ca99fb53f55aeadc189.JPG

Those of you who remember our sailing a few months back on Allure may remember we landed late and waited hours for out baggage because there was lightning and crews couldn't unload and got to the hotel at 2am to find we checked into a room where  a sewer pipe had broken in the wall and we were walking barefoot in carpet that had raw sewage in it. 

It was the start of a very very rough week on Allure.

461998527_IMG_2095(1).thumb.JPG.e8def018318e9f23282168d17fc51c13.JPG

This time baggage was out in minutes,  hotel shuttle came quickly,  and yes we went back to the same hotel this time where they comped our stay in a suite, gave us meals, and reward points in addition to the refund.

All went smoothly this time... I have a feeling Wonder will be wonderful!

875734915_IMG_2094(1).thumb.JPG.2bb1517a2fcf15407fd6eed52013deef.JPG

Day 0

We woke up Thursday. Myself and my oldest daughter had dueling laptops going catching up on work.   My wife and my youngest were going crazy ready to leave the hotel and do something fun.   I rented a car... be mindful inventory is still really really low.   I'm a gold member and almost always walk up find the perfect car and drive off in minutes. This time there was next to nothing at the Hertz lot and I waited forever trying to get something big enough for all our stuff.... especially the scooter.

IMG_2107.thumb.JPG.a89613f112f1e8ceafccb08428de0f00.JPG

My oldest recently broke her ankle.   We looked into wheelchair rentals and scooter rentals.    Pro tip.    Rental for the scooter was $91 for the 5 days.   We were able to buy one from amazon for $93.  Had it shipped directly to the hotel and needed no special tools to put together.  My wife actually did it while we worked.

IMG_2113.thumb.JPG.38c6c1b28c199583efef5e261aec5587.JPG

We hopped in our rental car in the afternoon and drove to Bayside Marketplace.   It's been so long since I've sailed out of Miami, i knew Bayside to be a great spot pre cruise.   Not so much anymore.   The whole outdoor area was under construction so there was no sitting out on the water with a drink and people watching.   Best we did was enjoy views of the RCI headquarters across the bay.   

IMG_2109.thumb.JPG.1ba2736d694a9c9972b65a3c548dfc0c.JPG

There was a brief interest in renting this thing.    A Tiki bar with two outboard motors attached to it.   Now I'm sorry that's cool and fun and I was so down.  Of course with a handicapped kid, a tiny kid, and a wife who worries about safety a lot I made a mental note to look this dude up later on a nonfamily trip.

So after a gelato we went driving around Miami Beach and whoa boy   bad mistake at 5pm      We got caught in insane traffic jams.    We were scheduled to have dinner with a former coworker in Fort Lauderdale and it became clear that wasn't happening.  We stopped at the fountainbleu for a bathroom break and took 25 minutes just to get off that block.

IMG_2114.thumb.PNG.a6c6e5be96b8750d0c55208f67ce1fcd.PNG

Everyone just wanted out of the traffic so we went back to the hotel, had dinner at the Marriott.  We all hung out together and watched TV something we don't ever really do as a family anymore, it was quite nice.

IMG_2116.thumb.JPG.b54b0aab3de55efc4f9c55c2b9bae833.JPG

Tomorrow  is CRUISE DAY......   with a 85% chance of thunderstorms!
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Life is good when you can get first class tickets for $267 pp.

We've done it a few times. Have to love it. 

It was actually premium economy...

The flight was a widebody, 787 dreamliner,  it continued on to Santiago Chile... so it had a premium economy cabin. 

and I paid extra for the upgrade a little later on. 😉

• Like 2

Day 1

1406563613_67172917475__7497BD1C-2744-42B7-80E6-AE1363F1FCFD(1).thumb.JPG.40935581e49cfeade7f5783c8959c669.JPG

Got up early and hit the road to FLL. Planned to drop the girls  and luggage off at the pier, return the rental to Hertz, and uber my way back to the pier.

Well that was harder than I imagined.  Uber at FLL was tough.  I went to the ride sharing location, but almost every uber driver tried to pick me up someplace else.   Several of us were having this problem, it was uber annoying.   lol

IMG_2984.thumb.PNG.d4d59a1a3dbaab0db86b75b9592b815c.PNG

After 3 different drivers I got a someone to pick me up and take me to the pier where the skies had opened up.   Is rain at sail away, kinda like rain on your wedding day?

Anyway, we reunited and tried to find someone to help us with wheelchair service for my daughter.  We had ordered ahead of time, but no one seemed to be aware of how, and where we should go.  My newly minted teen insisted she'd make do on her scooter.

This process was hectic.   Just like last year on Allure.

One person would put you in one line,  then someone else would question why you were in said line.

There appears to be no more priority lines for C&A  members....

We were in a suite last time but couldn't use a suite line because we had a kid.  

It just was a crowded mess. .. and I really think this is more an issue with the company that does the pier check in than Royal.

IMG_2124.thumb.JPG.cca5ba5e228f81a0446bd609df51bb88.JPG

I've never remember pier boarding being so confusing as it's been our last two visits to Fort Lauderdale.

Anyway we snaked our way through lines until we got one someone who looked everything over and just waved us onboard...  no filling out anything or anything like that,   just "everything seems in order, go ahead"    It couldn't be simpler....  once we got to him. 

IMG_2136.thumb.JPG.15773f12ce59de4447fa9864787c482e.JPG

We scooted our way up the gangway as huge thunderstorms erupted outside.  We were glad to be indoors and snaking our way onboard until we were greeted and welcomed into the promenade.

There were smiles, a brief picture with the mustang and then a hug goodbye as I went to take care of business, and the ladies off to tour the ship.

IMG_2145.thumb.JPG.e74814a48c97a4bad687199fafd2934f.JPG

Since you can't make reservations for shows at home anymore I wanted to make a mad rush to get connected to wifi and get everything booked.   Allure was so tough to get times I was paranoid to 

get it done quickly.  However, I couldn't seem to log in to the Voom. 

Depending on who you talked to you got a different explanation....   the weather had the whole system down, shows weren't open yet, somethings wrong with your account.

Finally after not being able to get connected with 2 voom guys and a royal app guy helping me I went down to Entertainment place hoping I could get them to make reservations for me on their computer.   Their insisted they could get my app working and they were right....   a few pushes and boom I was connected.  Funny how the entertainment staff could do what the voom staff couldn't.  ha.

Amazingly no issues at all booking every single show I wanted.   Everything I tried was open.   WooHoo.

But then as I tried to move dinner reservations.... trouble again.   My account was suspended.   huh!?!

1134482488_IMG_2146(1).thumb.PNG.a5156488fbe9c29dda1568e2d97a6ade.PNG

Went to Guest Services,  they saw nothing wrong.   Sent me away,   I tried to book again --- nope.   

Turns out the email I used on my app wasn't a match for the email royal had on file for me.   For some bizarre reason  they have my wife's and I've tried to fix it many times but it still pops up.   So they changed it for me and the app roared back to life.

IMG_2150.thumb.JPG.7dbbb3b3a83400353cf38dfb874f929c.JPG

Headed up to Windjammer to reconnect with the family and wow LOVE this windjammer. It's so much bigger, more open, more spacious than any other.  This was an excellent change on wonder. 

IMG_2148.thumb.JPG.d30e41bd6db7f0dab43875f7deda7e18.JPG

After a quick bite, I was off to explore the ship.  The rain had died down so I was able to take in the sun deck, and went aft and ran into El Loco Fresh.   

IMG_2172.thumb.JPG.924882a0d9e032fe1f687c9c6419ac7e.JPG

What a cool concept.  Grab and Go burritos  right there.  The bar was great, with folks ordering shots, and the pineapple guava sangria.  I tried one and quickly labeled this my go-to drink of the next 5 days.   It was amazing.

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.3512295daa9e17606404e5a78dedad16.JPG

My youngest was absolutely ready to tackle the arcade, and Dad is the one who does it with her.  So we ventured inside to see what this space had to offer.   It was a good size, not massive, not tiny,  some great new machines, including one of the coolest air hockey tables I've ever seen. 

IMG_2189.thumb.JPG.f500bd81e7961736163c251945913ecc.JPG

It rang bells and shot the disks out sideways and oh man we had a ball.

IMG_2192.thumb.JPG.0dffbef1d5c08b722b1fe67cacb9f60c.JPG

After that it was up to the new wonder playscape.... which i have to say totally confused me. The write up for this place described it as more a fun outdoors whimsical hangout spot.... I got the impression kids during the day but older at night.   I was curious to see what it was going to be. 

IMG_2199.thumb.JPG.b671eb961ec980ba61b48505886ceab3.JPG

The photos came out of it in real life and it looked like mini golf, nothing more and I got on the ship and found...   it was minigolf.    The photos I was looking at which many had described as the new spot was nothing more than the usual mini golf.   There was a small kid area behind it with some climbing and what not, but nothing at all like I expected.   Not really much worth talking about in my opinion, but whatever.   We got in a few games of mini golf and they were great for sure. 

IMG_2147.thumb.JPG.dbc984a0a1a4f090c5c19ac64e31e580.JPG

We headed down to our cabin.....  and this well.... was an area we were worried about.  Junior Suites are our go to.  It's all we really book.  With a few experiences in the GS or OS.   And yes we've done the aft corner D1's on the voyager class ships, but only because they're the same size as a JS.

IMG_2203.thumb.JPG.2145c8d372a67d4296c6e0b4ffe13802.JPG

Anyway, this cruise was a last minute FCC swap and on a ship that was nearly full with no quad junior suites left, so we booked a balcony.   We were all nervous about how the 4 of us would manage in here but amazingly it was fine.   Just enough room for all of us.   Sure it was tight but we made it work and I never once heard complaining about the cabin size all week.    We enjoyed our balcony on the hump and well just made it work. 

IMG_2231.thumb.JPG.704b18435678fd4e544d631cb00ef9a4.JPG

We wanted to put our diamond plus BOGO coupons to good use, so we booked Wonderland for night 1... 

My oldest is a theater kid and had just done a performance of Alice Down the Rabbit Hole, and my youngest loves the story, so both were super excited for this night.

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.d121ddfac8360772aa9450b39c5cc20c.JPG

The location on Deck 12 was great and we had a wondering table right by the window overlooking the boardwalk. 

IMG_2272.thumb.JPG.33c5bdc048b5605451c7120370b6fdc1.JPG

Our server Tapan was amazing, the best!   He took time to get to know us, our preferences, likes and dislikes and then just kept food and drinks coming.  We had absolutely no idea what we were getting and honestly that's just the fun of Wonderland. 

IMG_2304.thumb.JPG.00a403bd77cc40d6a6ce1cbdb99b238c.JPG

My youngest had cotton candy come out with almost every course, so she was thrilled,  but we all tried everything from tomato water, smoked eggs, and shrimp, to lobster  bone marrow and spicy tuna, down the most imaginative desserts out there. 

IMG_2325.thumb.JPG.56ecbcdc11fdfb34dcf08e990d6134d4.JPG

The meal reminded me of Q-sine on celebrity ships.  They service was fantastic. We all left with huge grins on our faces and full bellies. 

IMG_2290.thumb.JPG.298f2b7aa5a014355f0d13f6c16c78f7.JPG

We turned in early that night ready for the big first sea day to come!

• Like 10

I’m so excited to read this!  I’ve been trying to prepare our thoughts from this cruise!! 

I actually saw your family outside in the check in line area sitting along the side around 10:30ish.. but we were doing the same nonsense dance in the rain you mentioned … “stand in the 11am line”….”no - you can’t be here even though your kids are vaccinated - you have to go to the kids line”….entire party of 9 - including my parents wiTh mobility issues  treks to kids line and we are told we “don’t belong in the kids line - and we need to go back! “

that’s where I drew the line and politely said that she could walk us back to that line and tell the man we should stay (other families had also been sent) or help us cut that line to recover the spot we were just directed to get out of. Or she could help us get in from here.   

She helped us get back into the right line quickly by going in her kid door.  We were still further behind than our original spot but we were on board with one of the early groups.

And I provided Royal a lot of survey results about the playscape usage per day Vs a flow rider…and that the wind jammer was sooo awesome…

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Does wonderland have options for people who do not eat seafood? My wife Linda can’t eat seafood but we would like to try Wonderland.

I’d like to know about how they handle food allergies as well. In my world fish 🐟 🐠 are friends, not food! I’d love to try Wonderland, but definitely don’t want to spoil a cruise with a food allergy reaction. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:01 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Ah!   That new ship smell!

It's been a long long time for me. I think the last nearly new ship I sailed was Allure so this was long overdue.

Let me set the table for those who don't know my reviews.

Longtime cruiser here, started sailing RCI when I was a kid, never stopped. 🙂

IMG_2979.thumb.JPG.3be6a5702b75794fcf93b6673fa4c250.JPG

I live in Texas with my wife and two daughters.     

Lately we have enjoyed cruising with friends,  talking relatives of friends to join us but for the first time in a couple years we're doing one alone. 

I bought this cruise in the early days of the pandemic,  rock bottom pricing on Explorer out of Galveston.    It never happened.  and got lifted and shifted and FCC credited and swapped and swirled until somehow we wound up on the biggest ship in the world.

Those who are new to my reviews... I'm not onboard anymore.

We got back Wednesday. 

I'll gather my thoughts nightly and take you day by day through the week, kinda relive the week. 

I like to throw lots of photos into the mix as well, although I didn't take as many this time.

Just wanted to set the table so I can get myself in the review writing mode.

Hope you enjoy following along!

Awesome, I love your reviews!  

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Does wonderland have options for people who do not eat seafood? My wife Linda can’t eat seafood but we would like to try Wonderland.

Yes, there are lots of non seafood options.  I was worried about this too as both DW and I have limited interest in seafood.  We enjoyed our time at Wonderland. More for the experience than the food but the food was good too. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

More for the experience than the food but the food was good too. 

I think one should visit Wonderland at least once just for a fun thing to do.  We've been twice so are debating going again.  But it's a great gastric diversion from the ordinary.  Of course the World dessert shouldn't be missed!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:31 PM, RCCL Fan said:

There appears to be no more priority lines for C&A  members....

Yep same in Galveston! On Adventure last month...quite disappointing!  After waiting for 20 years to finally be Diamond plus and the last few years it's experience has seriously diminished!  A year ago in September we still had the privilege of a special waiting area and lines along with suite passengers...this year not so much.  O well, it wasn't too long a wait.  But gad, I wished we still had some preferential treatment from the terminal!

Day 2

Good Morning From The Loo!

IMG_2337.thumb.JPG.440a7d97ba71d1114c7d41055eaa2bf2.JPG

So i mentioned earlier the balcony cabin for all 4 of us was something new for us but pleasantly not so bad.

One down side of the small space was the fight for the bathroom... and well I don't know if it's cabin size or Wonder but the bathroom didn't seem to offer a ton or privacy (and I'll leave it at that)

So being the gentleman that I am I decided to spend a portion of my morning activities in the  lovely men's room outside the music hall on deck 8.  It really was just lovely!

IMG_2338.thumb.JPG.5677ad24f35d4374a8f07e54b587dda5.JPG

Let me take a moment to introduce you to these lovely auto door sensors.     You wave your hand in front of them and the bathroom door magically swings open.  Now that's innovation! However, and this was often a problem for the one person bathrooms or the handicapped stalls....  they don't work in the reverse.   I kept seeing people waving their hands in front of them trying to close the door.   Nope.   The door will close on it's own.  Just wait a moment and be patient.  waving your hand frantically in front of it trying to close the door will not help you get to your bathroom activities sooner.    It will just make you wait longer.

IMG_2362.thumb.JPG.ce4c4d434d9c6f9186a4a81b35a86df8.JPG

Oh  yeah and I never get tired of the artwork above the urinals on these ships.... ah those funny pets.

IMG_2346.thumb.JPG.ff96e266950ad8a2a52889c23cf234a9.JPG

Now that this is out of the way....   we decided for some bizarre reason to go to the top tier member gathering... something I don't think we've ever done on a cruise ship.  It was HOT, the sun was blazing back there in the aquatheater  but nonetheless there were some cool performances and interesting info about the ship, crew etc. 

1728159940_IMG_2350(1).thumb.JPG.1d03295dd394f91fdda71ac69c8a5d56.JPG

I never thought I could handle a transatlantic, but all the talk about the next sailing "the crossing", as they called it really had us all curious could we handle  more than a week at sea??

After that we split up.   My wife and youngest were ready to dive in for a poolside sea day.   My oldest said, "We're going to be laying out in the sun all day at the beach in Cozumel and CocoCay, I wanna be indoors today."     So I volunteered to be her guide. 

IMG_2359.thumb.JPG.6f5e89d4d63523922ef6f816a1f77ad9.JPG

We did stop on the pool deck briefly for some ice cream and were surprised to see bingo being held outdoors.   

That was a first for us. We scooted around the ship and decided to put a big dent in those 5 free drinks coupons. 

67181754278__5E577025-8AE2-41EA-9B79-F6659113B8A8.thumb.JPG.8ccebb11403cd74a359a2962f8765db4.JPG

From the Frozen mojitos  to that pineapple guava sangria again,  for me... and the unleaded stuff for her.  We were checking to see which bartenders had the best touch.... 

259573164_67183452101__C8C7B4F5-3E7A-4232-B6E1-53B66BC4DC01(1).thumb.JPG.7d6bc25c99640c49d47ec938b248f95f.JPG

Nothing like drinking with your 13 year old at 11am.       But it was great daddy daughter time for us,  talking about school, life, extra curricular.  It was just good time together.

67182274154__09FED8A5-0F3A-425D-978E-4A6586F66FF1.thumb.JPG.5b033263a9289e6811767ec67baf8426.JPG

Which of course we had to top off with a carousel ride....  I did miss the horses partially carved being on the boardwalk.  They were missing from Wonder....  and the doughnut area which was never really used had been replaced with some outdoor arcade games which was an interesting choice. 

IMG_2391.thumb.JPG.b298ff738f3cc6397ec300d94fca85c3.JPG

We caught one of the aquatheater performers practicing her moves and were glued to this.

IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.22e7c02d816d360d079bf5eac5a27ecf.jpeg

Meanwhile up on the pool deck the bathing beauties told me the chair hogs were the worse than usual.  I was wondering if she just forgot about them after our last two cruises being reduced capacity.  But  nonetheless on my walks through the pool deck it seemed so busy, so crowded I wanted no part and was glad I had taken non-pool duty.  I know people would loose their crap but there does need to be monitors or something who toss your stuff if it's left untouched after an hour or something.   

IMG_2358.thumb.JPG.9f297903d4d661bd2ecfa571c4d59fd9.JPG

I know I need to let it go, but it's not so easily.  I miss the Viking Crown --- like a lot.   I hated being up there and seeing a TV but no circular wall of windows.   There's just something about it that was iconic for me for a royal ship.  Even if it's a suite area and I can't use it, I think that glass saucer is iconic and being up there without it kinda bummed me out so I kinda avoided the pool deck this trip.

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.79c1fedb1bfcb7c0dc1333a44b7516ad.JPG

We sailed over Easter/Passover weekend.... and this was Easter Eve, if you will, so they had an Easter family event on the boardwalk.  I'm so happy they did this.   It was hectic.... a ton of people crowded around a huge table of cupcakes, candy, bunnies, etc.    It was push and shove crowded event, and get adults were doing the pushing and shoving, NOT the kids.   Grown folks actually nudging kids out the way to get a chocolate bunny that they bit into with a big grin.  OK.....

The little one came down from the pool for this.

I got my kid up front and she  looked around and was a little overwhelmed and said she didn't want anything.  I think it was just "too much"  

She was sad after that a while, and she wouldn't tell me why.  But I figured it was she knew she had every opportunity to get what she wanted, but the crowds intimidated her and she kinda shut down.  I think she was disappointed in herself.   but she "didn't want to talk about it" and we didnt.

IMG_2421.thumb.JPG.f83ad5ee8596333967fcbc42e9c09034.JPG

Instead we switched kids... I was told she hadn't eaten all day and I can usually be more effective in getting her to eat. I took her on the carousel and around the ship for more drinking of course because what better to do with a 2nd grader.   She wanted down time after her morning in the sun so we enjoyed the balcony for a bit,  searched for flying fish, and spotted a mural in the promenade of New Orleans, my hometown.... 

IMG_2406.thumb.JPG.53256e76c4d4efcccd3338878aded505.JPG

Voom was giving us issues again.  I stopped by the desk and got some help, they had to reset some stuff....   I always find it hit or miss.  I know it's a cruise ship it's not going to be perfect.  When it works it's great, it's just like a 50/50 shot I find.

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.f44fa1a552095558ea1a5f88b1070840.JPG

Dinner that night for us was early --- in Izumi.    We didn't really look at the compass with grave attention and just assumed day 2 was formal night as it typically was.   I planned on wearing casual clothes to Izumi but the kids insisted we dress up because formal night, and photos, etc.  

Well.  I don't think it was formal night....  no one was very dressed up and goodness knows I could have done without hibachi smells in my suit but I digress.

IMG_2425.thumb.JPG.5b3ff1378fa5c0fc1ecd0cb4c7869dce.JPG

This was a first for us!  We've been wanting to do this on the ship for years.  There was that time i booked the sushi side thinking it was all the same.... there was a time we had to skip due to too much sun.  This time we were finally making it!

It was just like on land...  good little show all the usual gimmicks.... no fire/onion volcano though.  One thing I thought while sitting here.   This place only has 3 cooking tables, it's kinda cramped.... always seems like an after thought in the corner on what used to be overflow seating in the dining room.  I'm surprised they haven't found a better spot for it.  Ventilation is also still a big issue here... you can smell the place a mile coming!

IMG_2437.thumb.JPG.a7713ad384a97b10cd5d2382897a3828.JPG

After dinner the kids wanted to venture on their own.....   we agreed and snuck off to the solarium for some couple cuddling. 

IMG_2435.thumb.JPG.5840b862f44dd0c7d224e697bc2e232d.JPG

Of course that's when we found up my wife's step mom was admitted to the hospital and so that time was spent on the phone checking on her.... and with a pineapple guava sangria of course. 

Wifi calls worked great on voom... but we realized quickly that my reset earlier that day had kicked my preteen off wifi and she didn't know the password to log back in.   So we panicked and split up to find them...  worried they couldn't reach us. 

IMG_2447.thumb.JPG.93cf4ade4738f7d3922976add427c4ca.JPG

Turned out they were fine... little one pushing big one on her knee scooter.  

We all went down to studio B for the ice show,  OMG!!!

IMG_2448.thumb.JPG.88d6e5f65fdd62ae884b02fc5c822810.JPG

It was soooo good.    I honestly had gotten a bit tired of the ice show,  how many times could you watch that monopoly tour of the ship.   Well this was a new show, 365  and it was amazing.   

IMG_2453.thumb.JPG.01d8070d76d0bbcf06cb6edfc858c4ca.JPG

They have new technology that lets them turn the whole ice floor into these awesome backdrops, the cast was so talented, I couldn't help snapping photos constantly and the youngest who usually gets bored very easily was IN AWE. Don't miss this!

IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.ccff2104dfc083ee987ce7c955fb49a1.JPG

Let me take a moment to talk to you about the cruise director, Mike Szwajkowski

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.1bbe02187ddadc34f365db59286635f8.JPG

I liked him!   I really liked him.    Now.  I didn't LOVE him like the amazing Richard Spacey, or love to hate on him like I do with the lovable but cheesy Ken Rush    But he was head and shoulders above the cruise directors we've had recently, like that guy on Allure who kept missing all the shows and wouldn't be there to Emcee the end applause to the cast.....

Mike was good.   He was funny, informative, engaging, there, but not too much.   He was balance.  I enjoyed him.

IMG_2496.thumb.JPG.3d146fd69a3c2a20cbb5ede17258cfea.JPG

We had some downtime in the diamond lounge after the show, to let the crowd thin out...   and really without the free drinks, and with a limited snack selection, there's really not much to do in here anymore.   I think RCI should put  some of the little mini cafe promenade sandwiches that few people eat in the diamond lounge.... and maybe some lemonade and cookies.  Something small and simple.   I think being able to grab a nibble between shows here would be great. 

IMG_5139.thumb.jpeg.4fad7710a0703aa5b891090bb3094809.jpeg

Anyway...  my wife and youngest went to get pizza.... which turned schooner bar, and like 10 other things....   while my oldest and I went to see Jennifer Singer... the singer.

IMG_2502.thumb.JPG.a9ec5ef11464ef14fcaf22564807397f.JPG

yeah her last name's singer and she's a singer.

IMG_2499.thumb.JPG.c9b8b5e8b51868e588264447d443198c.JPG

Now she surprised me saying she was some type of "Royal Caribbean official featured entertainer" or something like that...   I wasn't sure what it meant.   But i sat back and listened and wow can this little lady sing,  I was very very impressed with her vocal ability.

Meanwhile in some bar....     

67185488513__4EF304D1-0A73-446B-B97F-1FFF554A2C00.thumb.jpeg.83a33c31a999dbe1a8df7f467500838e.jpeg

I had picked the happy kid again! lol     

All my wife's photos post sideways for some reason... but this one was too good not to share!  

Tomorrow it's  Cozumel!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Yes, there are lots of non seafood options.  I was worried about this too as both DW and I have limited interest in seafood.  We enjoyed our time at Wonderland. More for the experience than the food but the food was good too. 

Thanks Dave that's good to know that she will be ok there.

46 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

IMG_5139.thumb.jpeg.4fad7710a0703aa5b891090bb3094809.jpeg

which turned schooner bar, and like 10 other things....  

Wow! What is this cocktail called and what's in it?  Was this at Schooner Bar?

• Like 1

Fantastic start to the review RCCL Fan.  Just wondering if you could have ducked into the spa facilities men's shower.  Wasn't possible on the Odyssey but both the Oasis and the Symphony, with their 2 deck spas, I just walked down the stairs  and popped into the men's locker room. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Dave that's good to know that she will be ok there.

Wow! What is this cocktail called and what's in it?  Was this at Schooner Bar?

I'm the only one who eats seafood in my family.   We just told the server ahead of time and he took care of everyone.   They were awesome with restrictions,  just go and enjoy!   You'll love it Greg.

And as for the drink, I'm sure it's just a chocolate martini  it's Michelle's go to. 

• Like 2