April 9 Apex Chair Hog Pictorial Reivew

Sam.Seattle

37 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Having cruised numerous RS and PH on S and M class the spa has never been included…..Perhaps a new perk on E class only?

Perhaps.  I've never been to the spa area in the S or M class ships, but the thermal suites on the E-class are rather large and never felt crowded, and we went everyday on both sea days and port days.

So maybe the size of the E-class thermal suites allows them to offer complimentary access to higher suites.

On 4/24/2022 at 2:01 PM, terrydtx said:

That sounds like the same NCL cruise we were on and it was our last, never again. LOL

I go on a cruise for a nice relaxing vacation on the high seas; not to have to deal with or have a confrontation with an  idiot.  It should be up the the crew to remove the stuff so there is no confrontation with fellow cruisers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Perhaps.  I've never been to the spa area in the S or M class ships, but the thermal suites on the E-class are rather large and never felt crowded, and we went everyday on both sea days and port days.

So maybe the size of the E-class thermal suites allows them to offer complimentary access to higher suites.

Then it's a shame that the Elite one-day port pass benefit doesn't apply on E-class.

22 minutes ago, milogurd said:

I always have a friend reserve my chair! Nobody dares to bother her, and she can keep my chair for me all day... 🤪 

Chair Hog Girlfriend.jpeg

Is your relationship with your "friend" strictly platonic, or has it advanced to something more?

• Haha 2

Fun Fact or Myth?....Flamingos in Popular Culture

To early Egyptian culture the Flamingos were a representation of the god Ra, who was known as the god of the sun. They felt that the animals where there as a reminder of the work of that god. They went out of their way to make sure these animals were preserved.

Chair Hogs 11.JPG

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Like 1

I am against any chair hogs......Use your chairs or lose your chairs.  I have reported and watched many peoples items being removed and brought to lost and found, I NEVER do it myself.   I have seen fights with both men and women over chairs that have gotten extremely physical and most recently a lady and her husband were removed from our ship at the next port as she attacked the person who had taken her chairs on the retreat sundeck after going to lunch for 1.5 hours.  As this fight happened she kept saying, I am in the Royal suite....I get any chair I want, as she hauled the woman out of the chair by her hair.....Which apparently was not the case.  They analyzed the video and she was OFF...Royal suite or not.   This 'Me, Me, Me, attitude" is unacceptable when  you are on a ship with 2-3K people.....That ship is a town and everyone needs to try to think of others and get along.....I know that's a fantasy...but it is how it Should be and how I try to behave.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

This 'Me, Me, Me, attitude" is unacceptable when  you are on a ship with 2-3K people.....That ship is a town and everyone needs to try to think of others and get along...

In some cases, one wonders if the royally entitled behaviors are consistent wherever they may be?  Perhaps taking advantage of situations and other people, is a way of life?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, esther e said:

There is another hog that we encountered on Oceania.  (So it doesn't matter the cost of the cruise -- it's the "people" who cruise).  We were having breakfast on the outdoor cafe when this insufferable person leaves his table to park himself close to ours so he won't disturb his other insufferables while he's on his cell phone.  And why do people who use cell phones think that everyone wants to hear their conversations?  

We were younger than we are now, so we kept quiet.  Now, today, this feisty old lady would have said something.  

Was on Apex last month having dinner in Cosmopolitan at a table for 2.  There was a couple next to us waiting for their dessert to arrive and decided it was a good time to FaceTime with his mother.  Again, why do they think this appropriate?  Thankfully we were just finishing our wine and left.

• Haha 2

On 4/24/2022 at 11:25 AM, mikewomb said:

Oh well, their skin cancer should be raging shortly. Seriously that is wrong, and something should be done about it, but never is , regardless of Hotel or ship

We've been cruising since 2003; certain things never change!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 12:12 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

Here you go!  Hope you like Tom Clancy

Chair Hogs Books.jpg

We saw a lot of this in the Apex retreat!  People covering every square inch of the lounger with towels.  So obnoxious and wasteful and just adds to the laundry.

I agree with the poster who said that X needs to step up  and start enforcing.

• 9 months later...

As a previous reply said, this situation is nothing new and (also in a previous reply) it is particularly common in cruises to the Caribbean. Next Sunday we will be embarking on our first cruise with Celebrity on the Reflection and after 22 cruises with Princess, two with RCI and one with Carnival I fully expect the chair hogs to be doing their thing. Our first cruise was with Princess in 1998 and it took a few more for me to develop a strategy.

First, select an area in the stern of the ship. We have zero desire to be around the main pool because no matter what that area is often where lots of activities take place and we want peace and quiet. We scope out the areas on our first walk-around on the ship the day we board. It is especially important to select an area where there is some space around the chairs and here's why.

I pass through the area where I hope to sit, make note of the availability of chairs, then go to an early breakfast. Then head for the area where I hope to get a chair, no later than 7:30. Even earlier is better, if possible. (BTW - What time does the buffet open on Celebrity ships, the Reflection in particular?)

Then comes the fun part, and this is why it's important to find an area with some space. If I see two chairs that were "saved" on my pass through earlier, I carefully remove the Hog's stuff and place it neatly on the deck. THEN - and this is key - I drag the chair some distance away from its original location and do the same for my wife's chair. I get settled in and also place my wife's towel, etc. one what will be her chair, assuming she will show up not too much later.

An hour or two or three later the person who was in charge of "saving" the chairs - and more often than not, it is one person from a group who has toweled-up a bunch chairs - and watch their reaction. They glare and look around.... but there is no way that person can positively identify "their" chairs and after a minute or two they stomp off OR....they essentially do what I did with another two chairs in the general area!

FWIW, if my wife has little or no intention of using the chair that I dragged over for her within a reasonable amount of time - perhaps an hour at the most -  I ALWAYS take her stuff off the chair and gladly give the chair to anyone who asks for it. 

It's so unfortunate that the deck attendants are so reluctant to enforce the rules, but the explanation is quite simple: In their world the guests are always right except in situations where the well-being of a guest is in play. And as has been said here and in messages posted for every other cruise line, if the cruise lines would just have more chairs available a lot of this situation would all but disappear.

• Like 2

I read an interesting solution on another board.  This guy would simply remove the hogs books and their bags  etc and take them to Guest Relations and tell them that “I think someone lost these” In some cases the hogs had even left them before going out on an excursion and it was until the afternoon before  they returned!  

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 2

I walk the track early in the morning and always have a birds eye view of the chair hogs scurrying around marking their territory. The other comedy show are those seat hogs in the main theater in the evening attempting to save multiple seats while frantically trying to fend off others. Who says Celebrity doesn't have good entertainment. 😂

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Chair hogs and wearing shorts in the MDR at night, two things that will never go away, but are entertaining to read on CC.😁

Hey now I resemble the shorts comment at dinner; although, usually either in blu or luminae.  

On 2/13/2023 at 4:52 AM, caribbean2000 said:

As a previous reply said, this situation is nothing new and (also in a previous reply) it is particularly common in cruises to the Caribbean. Next Sunday we will be embarking on our first cruise with Celebrity on the Reflection and after 22 cruises with Princess, two with RCI and one with Carnival I fully expect the chair hogs to be doing their thing. Our first cruise was with Princess in 1998 and it took a few more for me to develop a strategy.

Please share your experiences.  Maybe things have changed?  Maybe not....

Recently had breakfast with an elderly couple who happened to mention they had been up to the pool deck and built their nests for the day. They were not sure when they were going. I commented that they were not supposed to reserve chairs. The response was everybody does it. I then asked what they did when their children said but Mom and Dad everybody is doing it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rudy888 said:

Recently had breakfast with an elderly couple who happened to mention they had been up to the pool deck and built their nests for the day. They were not sure when they were going. I commented that they were not supposed to reserve chairs. The response was everybody does it. I then asked what they did when their children said but Mom and Dad everybody is doing it.

The kids didn't have to say anything. They just followed their parents lead. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 12:08 PM, Canuker said:

Right, that settles it.

I'm clamping towels to our theatre seats from now on, too.

True story.  Theater patrons on land seen covering their seats in bath towels before taking their seats.  Then the cooties are only on their towels not their clothing or themselves.