April 9 Apex Chair Hog Pictorial Reivew

Sam.Seattle

3 minutes ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

It doesn't help the matter when Celebrity sells the "Magically Entitled Chair Clips" in their own gift shop. Just stop. 

enhance

So, that's where they come from, I want 2 VIP ones, LOL

• Haha 1

The worst bit of chair hogging I have personally experienced was at the sunset bar on Eclipse. At the time I was on crutches and wearing an orthopaedic boot. I clearly looked in need of a seat!

As we approached the bar we realised it was busy but there was a table with four chairs and only two guests. The woman had her handbag on one of the spare chairs. When I hobbled closer I asked if we could use the spare chairs she stood up to look over the full area (presumably to indicate other vacant seats) before reluctantly moving her bag….

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I have no problem marking the clock and bringing over a pool attendant or Officer to remove towels etc. at the 31 minute mark. Last two times I've done that, my wife and I were able to enjoy the chairs for the whole day without anyone coming by afterwards and asking "where's my stuff?" 

I have no problem with someone staking their claim in the morning and leaving for the occasional pool dip or buffet run. As long as they come back within a reasonable time limit.

It's the ones who drop a bunch of towels at 7 am for their entire group of 8 and none of them actually show up at any point during the day. I don't understand how a human can be so self-centered and inconsiderate of others.

Welcome to the world of cruising... Mass Market at that... LOL

bon voyage

With the recent Constellation cruise going out half full getting a primo location was not an issue.  We are early morning walkers and every morning there was a man in the same chair by the pool wrapped in towels and blissfully sleeping.  We wondered if he slept there each night.  We applauded him for not breaking the rules.  Literally the same chairs (one for his SO) everyday for 10 days.  We should have asked him why those two chairs.

• Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:13 AM, goofysmom99 said:

I never sit by the pool, but in the theater, if seats are being saved, I just go ahead and sit down (if it's a single seat, I don't).  They get over it.  In my dotage, I no longer put up with a lot of stuff I used to.  It's sort of fun to be "that cranky old lady" when the occasion warrants.  😇

Now we know why we liked cruising with you. Geoff and the boss (Anita)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ehall said:

Hoping some of you will leave my towel and book in the chair when I leave to run to the ladies room for a few minutes.  It beats the alternative of me trying to save my chair 🤣😀

While in denial, if you smear some chocolate Ice Cream on your towel, it will probably be there when you return.

PS -

Thanks for not peeing in the pool.

Cheers!

😁

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, chemmo said:

The worst bit of chair hogging I have personally experienced was at the sunset bar on Eclipse. At the time I was on crutches and wearing an orthopaedic boot. I clearly looked in need of a seat!

As we approached the bar we realised it was busy but there was a table with four chairs and only two guests. The woman had her handbag on one of the spare chairs. When I hobbled closer I asked if we could use the spare chairs she stood up to look over the full area (presumably to indicate other vacant seats) before reluctantly moving her bag….

@chemmo not quite the same, IMO, in the spectrum of chair hogs, although she did give up the seats to you so probably spare seats. 🙂 However, I think there is a difference sometimes.  A couple sitting at a 4 seat table are possibly waiting for another couple on the way.  The difference being they were at the table and occupying it.  It was not an empty table with 4 empty seats and stuff on them.  Many of us do this all the time at tables.  About half the tables in the buffet have people at them waiting for another to bring back food.  I really do not consider that chair hogging in that instance.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

@chemmo not quite the same, IMO, in the spectrum of chair hogs, although she did give up the seats to you so probably spare seats. 🙂 However, I think there is a difference sometimes.  A couple sitting at a 4 seat table are possibly waiting for another couple on the way.  The difference being they were at the table and occupying it.  It was not an empty table with 4 empty seats and stuff on them.  Many of us do this all the time at tables.  About half the tables in the buffet have people at them waiting for another to bring back food.  I really do not consider that chair hogging in that instance.  

Bearing in mind I was on crutches and that in the 30 minutes or so it took us to enjoy our drink and nobody appeared to join the other couple I feel less charitable. I certainly would never behave as ungraciously to any fellow cruiser….

I do understand that many of us arrange to meet others in a range of venues and saving spaces is reasonable if there are spaces to save as there usually are in your buffet scenario. However, if you are at a venue like the Martini Bar or (as in our case) the Sunset Bar with no spare seating then I think you need to gracefully allow others to sit. On arrival of your friends, if the area has cleared then you can usually rearrange a table or chair or two…Certainly in our case if friends of Mrs Grumpy had arrived, and by that time there were alternative places for me to hobble to, I would happily have offered to move…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chemmo said:

Bearing in mind I was on crutches and that in the 30 minutes or so it took us to enjoy our drink and nobody appeared to join the other couple I feel less charitable. I certainly would never behave as ungraciously to any fellow cruiser….

I do understand that many of us arrange to meet others in a range of venues and saving spaces is reasonable if there are spaces to save as there usually are in your buffet scenario. However, if you are at a venue like the Martini Bar or (as in our case) the Sunset Bar with no spare seating then I think you need to gracefully allow others to sit. On arrival of your friends, if the area has cleared then you can usually rearrange a table or chair or two…Certainly in our case if friends of Mrs Grumpy had arrived, and by that time there were alternative places for me to hobble to, I would happily have offered to move…

I was not commenting on your specific case that day. It seems reasonable.  I was just bringing up that there are some general differences sometimes to consider on the Chair Hog discussion.   Guest-occupied small table versus empty lounge chairs with stuff on them by the pool.

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I was not commenting on your specific case that day. It seems reasonable.  I was just bringing up that there are some general differences sometimes to consider on the Chair Hog discussion.   Guest-occupied small table versus empty lounge chairs with stuff on them by the pool.

Understand, I guess the point of my post was to indicate not all chair hogs are poolside…

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I was just bringing up that there are some general differences sometimes to consider on the Chair Hog discussion.   Guest-occupied small table versus empty lounge chairs with stuff on them by the pool.

Excellent--- 

I can't count the number of times we were asked , or, we asked ( in the Spa Cafe or the OVC  ) whether the empty chairs beside us were taken. Never encountered a problem. In fact, we met many very nice people, made the " usual " cruise chat , etc. etc. but, no politics, please. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Excellent--- 

I can't count the number of times we were asked , or, we asked ( in the Spa Cafe or the OVC  ) whether the empty chairs beside us were taken. Never encountered a problem. In fact, we met many very nice people, made the " usual " cruise chat , etc. etc. but, no politics, please. 

We live in a different time and place now.  With COVID still spreading and contact tracing being used by cruise ships, I might be uncomfortable sharing a table with strangers. One cough and I am changing tables.

Political chat is a completely different topic.

Cheers!

🥂

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

We live in a different time and place now.  With COVID still spreading and contact tracing being used by cruise ships, I might be uncomfortable sharing a table with strangers. One cough and I am changing tables.

Cheers!

🥂

You realize as soon as I read this…..I coughed! 

Den

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Can't find another chair???

No - I don't really plan to pack up my things, carry them to the restroom or going to get a drink at the bar and try to find a new chair when I am only away for about 5 minutes.  Is that something that most people do?  I mean if I were leaving to go eat lunch or go to an activity like trivia or something - yes.  Then I would indeed pack up my stuff and look for a new chair when I return as I would be gone for an extended time.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Cheers!

🥂

I’m with you.  We do not want someone not in our traveling party sitting with us.  We definitely will not ask to join anyone else either.  Surprising how many do not think like we do during these times. We also avoid venues when they are most busy so we do not have to deal with these issues. Will be seeing for ourselves how to deal with this soon.  

Edited by mauimary
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Excellent--- 

Yet, I do rather enjoy talking politics, religion and the like....

LOL

bon voyage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Yet, I do rather enjoy talking politics, religion and the like....

LOL

bon voyage

LOL--- On our last cruise ( 2019 ) , before we sailed , while leaning on the rail, daydreaming of etc, etc, a couple " slid up " beside us and struck up a conversation. Both were wearing red baseball hats with " letters " on them. They both had a " few " into 'em already-- and , before you , oops, I knew it--- " Hey, where ya from ? What do they think of etc, etc up there "? 

" You know who " gave me an elbow to the ribs --- I got the " message " and told them we had to go to unpack.

Question : Who do you think we avoided for the rest of the cruise ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- On our last cruise ( 2019 ) , before we sailed , while leaning on the rail, daydreaming of etc, etc, a couple " slid up " beside us and struck up a conversation. Both were wearing red baseball hats with " letters " on them. They both had a " few " into 'em already-- and , before you , oops, I knew it--- " Hey, where ya from ? What do they think of etc, etc up there "? 

" You know who " gave me an elbow to the ribs --- I got the " message " and told them we had to go to unpack.

I wondered where you went 😀!

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

That would definitely be my luck! 

• Haha 2