April 9 Apex Chair Hog Pictorial Reivew

Sam.Seattle

I agree it needs to be enforced, but it won't be done on the big lines. Especially now when they are struggling to get enough crew. I have never been on a line that is considered an upgrade from Celebrity, but when I go to their forums, I see the same complaints.

• Thanks 1

An idea 💡💥  find an "unoccupied" lounger with clean unused towels and a couple or so belongings like book, suntan lotion. Remove them to floor next to lounger and plop yourself on the clean towels. Go for a swim and return to same lounger. After a few mins or so, get up and put the original belongings back on wet towels and leave.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

An idea 💡💥  find an "unoccupied" lounger with clean unused towels and a couple or so belongings like book, suntan lotion. Remove them to floor next to lounger and plop yourself on the clean towels. Go for a swim and return to same lounger. After a few mins or so, get up and put the original belongings back on wet towels and leave.

Or find loungers directly above or below the offending hogs, position the loungers exactly in the same direction and move their stuff, positioned exactly as they left it, when they return say you must be mistaken we have been here all day. 

• Haha 1

I was once accused of moving stuff when I didn't.  You know that area on the upper deck when you walk out of the Oceanview cafe....right there. My friend found 2 empty chairs on the end. The 2 next to us had towels, etc. So I'm sitting there minding my own (my friend ducked inside for a drink) and I hear "WHAT HAPPENED HERE!!!!!?????" Um.......what? The lady came back and was all upset because "she was on the END and now YOU are there!". So of course I said, "Look, these chairs where here when I got here. I haven't moved anything. You can ask any of those people sitting right there! (and pointed)". I think what happened was the people across the way moved those chairs over so they could spread out. The rest of the cruise I kept yelling WHAT HAPPENED HERE??!!! just because it was such a ridiculous response.

Another time I did move someone's stuff after waiting over 45 minutes for them to return. I even took the book she borrowed from the ship's library. Sorry, not sorry. They came back over an hour later and I played dumb. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In my opinion I would leave these rude, ungrateful hogs alone.

People are people, there will always be someone, somewhere that will not follow the rules.

No need to confront them and cause a scene or confrontation.

They are who they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weregoingcruising said:

So you reserved chairs.

Technically, yes. And to take it a step further we bring umbrellas that attach to these lounges. Many times we have found a couple of lounges on deck only to have someone plop down next to us and start hacking. Having our own balcony has its advantages until ones neighbor starts hacking or smoking on their balcony. Which has prompted us to book a suite to have access to a Retreat pool deck and lounges, until another hacker plops down again. Then a cabana for the week as well, just in case....just what every cruise line hopes for its guests to do. 

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Technically, yes. And to take it a step further we bring umbrellas that attach to these lounges. Many times we have found a couple of lounges on deck only to have someone plop down next to us and start hacking. Having our own balcony has its advantages until ones neighbor starts hacking or smoking on their balcony. Which has prompted us to book a suite to have access to a Retreat pool deck and lounges, until another hacker plops down again. Then a cabana for the week as well, just in case....just what every cruise line hopes for its guests to do. 

I brought my umbrella and found a suite that was amazingly private and quiet!

Apex Villa Umbrella.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

on a 2 week cruise and well into it . The plush loungers on the raised area near the pool were either reserved and empty or being used by the same group of people every day ( mostly mid day but reserved very early and empty until at least 10am. Since I am an early riser It thought this would be a nice area to spend a couple of hours so I plunked myself and belongings by 6am. Hubby joined by 7. We never left them empty for more than to 30 minute rule. 

Well along comes the 'group' . They were LIVID. They stared and glared and talked and the 2 without chairs constantly paced by us. We took turns fetching our lunch. When I decided that we had enough sun I took a walk and saw two gals who were circling looking for spare loungers and offered them our prime spots. Of course they were delighted. Twas a very good day!!

• Like 13
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

One thing that is even worse than chair hogs is chair bullies.

Those are the people that get up at noon and expect a chair by the pool and will literally stand over you and repeatedly ask if you’re done with your chair to intimidate you to move

These are the entitled folks

Fortunately I have never experienced that or even seen it happen.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I agree it needs to be enforced, but it won't be done

Page 4 -- going for 1683 pages

You are correct -- Never going to happen--- Too intimidating for Staff, and,  Officers could " care less "as they strut around ( always with their phone to their ear-- so, nobody bothers them to get involved )---- 

I don't believe for one minute that anyone takes a suite ,or just stays on their balcony because of this " problem ".

We've been on xxx cruises, did see lots of chair hogs, but always were able to find a place to sit.

In fact, on occasion while looking for a seat , we were offered seats when folks were ready to leave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

One thing that is even worse than chair hogs is chair bullies.

Those are the people that get up at noon and expect a chair by the pool and will literally stand over you and repeatedly ask if you’re done with your chair to intimidate you to move

These are the entitled folks

LOL, I recommend that we look up at them and request they move a bit to the right to block more of the sun... or will you go fetch me a cocktail, bourbon with a splash and twist... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I don't believe for one minute that anyone takes a suite ,or just stays on their balcony because of this " problem ".

You are right, we book a suite for many more reasons than dealing with chair hogs. I have too many problems with skin cancers, the result of too much time in the sun when younger, so now I do not have to deal with the hogs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

You are right, we book a suite for many more reasons than dealing with chair hogs. I have too many problems with skin cancers, the result of too much time in the sun when younger, so now I do not have to deal with the hogs.

We also book a suite (with a covered balcony) because hubby has problems getting skin cancers.  We are early risers, and love the solarium early in the morning before it gets busy!

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, chemmo said:

Bearing in mind I was on crutches and that in the 30 minutes or so it took us to enjoy our drink and nobody appeared to join the other couple I feel less charitable. I certainly would never behave as ungraciously to any fellow cruiser….

I do understand that many of us arrange to meet others in a range of venues and saving spaces is reasonable if there are spaces to save as there usually are in your buffet scenario. However, if you are at a venue like the Martini Bar or (as in our case) the Sunset Bar with no spare seating then I think you need to gracefully allow others to sit. On arrival of your friends, if the area has cleared then you can usually rearrange a table or chair or two…Certainly in our case if friends of Mrs Grumpy had arrived, and by that time there were alternative places for me to hobble to, I would happily have offered to move…

i once had two seats across from me in the captains club waiting for friends. I was asked if anyone was sitting there and as I had just learned they were coming in about 45 minutes I encouraged him to sit until then, as I saw no need to tie up a chair that long knowing people would be leaving for dinner.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Funny!   For all the reasons we book suites, the avoidance of Chair Hogs is perhaps number 99 out of the top 100.  🙂

• Like 4

On 4/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, Sam.Seattle said:

I brought my umbrella and found a suite that was amazingly private and quiet!

Apex Villa Umbrella.JPG

LOL.  I think you need a bigger umbrella.

I also loved these suites...private entrances to both the Retreat lounge and the Retreat sundeck.

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

LOL.  I think you need a bigger umbrella.

I also loved these suites...private entrances to both the Retreat lounge and the Retreat sundeck.

I agree!!!

But, it did fit inside the suite case.

Cheers!

🍹

1 hour ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

i once had two seats across from me in the captains club waiting for friends. I was asked if anyone was sitting there and as I had just learned they were coming in about 45 minutes I encouraged him to sit until then, as I saw no need to tie up a chair that long knowing people would be leaving for dinner.  

How kind and sweet.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

How kind and sweet.

Turned out he was a delight to talk with so we gained a new friend!  He was a solo traveler that basically had decided to come to the port and see if there was space!   I wanted to know more about how that worked!  Clearly, it worked out.  

On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, Pinboy said:

Excellent--- 

I can't count the number of times we were asked , or, we asked ( in the Spa Cafe or the OVC  ) whether the empty chairs beside us were taken. Never encountered a problem. In fact, we met many very nice people, made the " usual " cruise chat , etc. etc. but, no politics, please. 

I never ask to sit at someone’s table and I don’t like it when someone asks to sit at ours.  They always want to make small talk and I just don’t care to get into all that.  As I’m older now, probably if someone asked I would smile and say they were welcome to share the table but please, no small talk.  We don’t go to the buffet at peak times though, so thankfully we rarely have it happen.