April 9 Apex Chair Hog Pictorial Reivew

Sam.Seattle

I have no problem marking the clock and bringing over a pool attendant or Officer to remove towels etc. at the 31 minute mark. Last two times I've done that, my wife and I were able to enjoy the chairs for the whole day without anyone coming by afterwards and asking "where's my stuff?" 

I have no problem with someone staking their claim in the morning and leaving for the occasional pool dip or buffet run. As long as they come back within a reasonable time limit.

It's the ones who drop a bunch of towels at 7 am for their entire group of 8 and none of them actually show up at any point during the day. I don't understand how a human can be so self-centered and inconsiderate of others.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Rule # 1: Never move someone else’s “stuff”. (Payback can be nasty).

Rule # 2: If you broke Rule # 1, never admit it.

I have no problem admitting what I did and calling them out on it in a public place, I had drinks delivered to me from other passengers for calling them out.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

On day 2 I fill out multiple comment cards that I drop in various comment card boxes to report that removal of unattended items is not being enforced by pool attendants and this is impacting the enjoyment of our cruise. By the next day we usually see items being removed by staff. It seems like once passengers start seeing dazed people looking for belongings the chair hogging seems to decrease substantially.

Brilliant!
On one Equinox cruise, the Solarium attendants were very efficient at removing towels from reserved seating. I complimented them on the comment cards, midweek, to make sure maitre d'otel knew that it was appreciated. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

Brilliant!
On one Equinox cruise, the Solarium attendants were very efficient at removing towels from reserved seating. I complimented them on the comment cards, midweek, to make sure maitre d'otel knew that it was appreciated. 

Compliments are certainly a proactive way to encourage good work! I’ll be sure to do the same on future cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kathynorth said:

On day 2 I fill out multiple comment cards that I drop in various comment card boxes to report that removal of unattended items is not being enforced by pool attendants and this is impacting the enjoyment of our cruise. By the next day we usually see items being removed by staff. It seems like once passengers start seeing dazed people looking for belongings the chair hogging seems to decrease substantially.

I love this and will definitely remember it! 

• Like 1

I really dislike people who are too lazy to put their wet towels in the bins and leave them at the end of the lounger.  It feels like the lounger has been trashed.

Picking up neatly placed items and moving them out of the way is one thing, the idea of moving someone else’s really gross wet towels is repulsive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rotoal said:

I really dislike people who are too lazy to put their wet towels in the bins and leave them at the end of the lounger.  It feels like the lounger has been trashed.

Picking up neatly placed items and moving them out of the way is one thing, the idea of moving someone else’s really gross wet towels is repulsive.

Chair Hog = lazy, selfish, or very dirty person. 

• Like 1

Years ago on Home Lines Homeric and Atlantic one would pay cruise line $14 for 2 /day to have a couple of lounges set up when the guest came to the pool deck and would place ones name on it if one should leave for 30 minutes or less; pack things up for one if over 30 minutes and set one up again when one returns. Has anyone ever tried to tip a pool deck member to set one up (there are lots of lounges stacked all around the ship). And spaces where these lounges could be set up on the pool deck still. One can not change another's bad habits. One never knows what might transpire in a confrontation over removing another's property and sit in comfort waiting for the possible confrontation. We've seen guests throw drinks in another's face for less. 

The ship's policy is 'lip service'. They will not get involved. On a cruise on Edge the Cruise Director even joked to the audience on the first evening that a ship that can hold  3000 (really  2900) and only 800 on this sailing there is no reason not to hog 6 loungers each on the pool deck....

P.S. We noticed a few (I posted pictures at the time) of those that hogged 2 in the sun and 2 across in the shade.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

15 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

This post gave me a good laugh.  You see it at resorts.  I would be afraid to move their possessions.  Towels, fair game.  Can hardly wait for my Caribbean cruise next year on Apex.  I will ask the pool person to do their job.  

Don’t be afraid!  Chair hogs count on others being afraid or intimidated to move their stuff…it’s how they work!

Move the things away from the chair or give to an attendant and plop yourself down.

• Like 2

I never sit by the pool, but in the theater, if seats are being saved, I just go ahead and sit down (if it's a single seat, I don't).  They get over it.  In my dotage, I no longer put up with a lot of stuff I used to.  It's sort of fun to be "that cranky old lady" when the occasion warrants.  😇

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

And wait for the former heavyweight champion of the world to come back .....

Nah.  Just play dumb.  When they say, “Hey, where’s my stuff?” you just put on your best confused face and say, “I dunno - chair was empty when I got here 2 hours ago.”

Better yet, fake sleep. 😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Once I’ve gotten the lay of the land, so to speak, and once the clock strikes 31 minutes empty,  off they go to the nearest attendant and now I have own little slice of paradise for an hour or so.  

Perfect! Did you thank those people for saving you a lounge right next to the pool?!? They are So thoughtful for those that know the rules. 

I was a bit disappointed…..the photos showed no books left out for me to………ooops, last time I posted about what to do, a poster got very upset, so I’ll just leave the thought there.

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I never sit by the pool, but in the theater, if seats are being saved, I just go ahead and sit down (if it's a single seat, I don't).  They get over it.  In my dotage, I no longer put up with a lot of stuff I used to.  It's sort of fun to be "that cranky old lady" when the occasion warrants.  😇

I agree and have no problem being the "Cranky Old Man" who puts up with less crap than when I was younger.

• Like 4

I’m usually up early on a cruise and will save a lounger by the pool for my wife. I’ll lay on mine having coffee and getting sunburned and skin cancer while she gets hours more of beauty sleep until she finally joins me at the pool. 
If I get up from my chair to grab a muffin from the buffet please don’t toss my stuff overboard. 

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I’m usually up early on a cruise and will save a lounger by the pool for my wife. I’ll lay on mine having coffee and getting sunburned and skin cancer while she gets hours more of beauty sleep until she finally joins me at the pool. 
If I get up from my chair to grab a muffin from the buffet please don’t toss my stuff overboard. 

Only if you bring me a muffin 😎

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Nah.  Just play dumb.  When they say, “Hey, where’s my stuff?” you just put on your best confused face and say, “I dunno - chair was empty when I got here 2 hours ago.”

No hablo ingles. 😇

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

I always sit on the deck above the pool deck. I walk the track early every morning for 1.5 hours and get a birds eye view of the chair hogs rooting around marking what they believe is their territory. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I always sit on the deck above the pool deck. I walk the track early every morning for 1.5 hours and get a birds eye view of the chair hogs rooting around marking what they believe is their territory. 

See the source image

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Great idea !!  I'm gonna do that during Celebrity Olympics --- poolside every afternoon between 2-4.

Whoever falls asleep the quickest wins their choice of a keychain, t shirt, or scoop of gelato.

LOL---Ya can't select no lanyard . They are reserved for recently " graduated " Elite members.

• Haha 1

On my first Edge sailing (pre-covid), the loungers that are in the pool were always taken.   It wasn't until the last day of the cruise that two became available...one for my friend and the other for me.  After no more than 15 minutes, I got up to use the ladies room.  When I came back, there was someone else on the lounger.  Apparently, both my friend and another person in a nearby lounger told the person who was using the lounger that I got up for a quick trip to the ladies room.  Her response was "too bad; she's gone."  When it was time to leave for the day, that person was still using the lounger.  I went to her and let her know that when I got up it was to go to the ladies room...sorry that I didn't get up quickly enough and left a little something "yellow" for her😁.  She was mortified and I laughed all the way to my cabin.

FYI...I was kidding about leaving a gift for her!!!

• Haha 1