Anyone seeing any Covid counts on RC ships?

2 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

Lots of people currently in quarantine on the vision of the sea. They will not give an exact count but everyday crew members are missing and I’ve personally seen 12 people removed from their cabins on my floor. 5 days ago we were told by RCL that they had 72 people in quarantine but now they will not tell us.  They are making quite a few announcements looking for passengers that have tested positive to contact medical immediately. Lots of different names.

Thanks for this on-topic information.  We'll be cruising next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida32 said:

They test you even if you show up to medical with sicknesses besides Covid. Possible food poisoning even gets a Covid test. Even if the person shows no signs of Covid. 
Then if someone tests positives all close contacts get tested. 
My friend was a close contact to a crew member and had to get tested. 

Covid can cause GI symptoms so this is appropriate. 

Royal has a responsibility to protect their brand and crew. We all cruise under their rules and sign off on that several times during booking and onboard processing. I certainly hope people with symptoms will inform medical and cooperate from there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

That’s like saying if we don’t do mammograms, we wont see so much breast cancer?  I recall someone else using the mentality that “we need to stop testing” .  

I appreciate when someone I’m around tests for cold symptoms. If they’re positive, I know to avoid them or if I’ve been around them, to test a few days later if symptomatic. 

Have you tested for strep or the flu or anything else before Covid if someone you knew had it? We need to just stay home if you feel sick. This will be a virus that will always be around so we need to treat it like every other illness.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Not alike at all. Unfortunately there isn’t a vaccine for breast cancer and untreated it has a much worse outcome than Omicron. 

My point is that testing uncovers cases. And even if asymptomatically positive, knowing is beneficial to prevent spread. 

Edited by jerseygirl3
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Have you tested for strep or the flu or anything else before Covid if someone you knew had it? We need to just stay home if you feel sick. This will be a virus that will always be around so we need to treat it like every other illness.

If i was symptomatic of any of those  illnesses you mention, yes, I would get tested. The cruiselines dont want outbreaks so its in their interest to test symptomatic pax and thise whi've been in close contact. Strep throat is not nearly as contagious as Omicron and these new variants. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Florida32 said:

They test you even if you show up to medical with sicknesses besides Covid. Possible food poisoning even gets a Covid test. Even if the person shows no signs of Covid. 
Then if someone tests positives all close contacts get tested. 
My friend was a close contact to a crew member and had to get tested. 

Im guessing they test all who show  up in medical in an effort  to prevent possible spread. The symptoms of Covid vary so much that it's probably the prudent thing to do. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

My point is that testing uncovers cases. And even if asymptomatically positive, knowing is beneficial to prevent spread. 

carnival has chosen to quit testing b2b vaccinated cruisers. The policy says they might test you, but its ship by ship. All the posts I have seen is no test for b2b if you are vaccinated.  

Time to live life and rcl stop so much testing for b2b. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

If i was symptomatic of any of those  illnesses you mention, yes, I would get tested. The cruiselines dont want outbreaks so its in their interest to test symptomatic pax and thise whi've been in close contact. Strep throat is not nearly as contagious as Omicron and these new variants. 

Would you do so on land? I can see on a cruise when you might not be able to avoid people.

2 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

We have a lot of Covid positive  patients who complain of nausea and diarrhea. 

And, I currently have sinusitis (caught onboard the second leg of our b2b) and I've had both issues.  Very generic symptoms that apply to a lot of illnesses.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hazeleyes46 said:

Tell the captain that when half his crew is sick with it!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

Tell the captain that when half his crew is sick with it!

Well, that would be something since infection rates have never reached anywhere near 50% of ANY population at one time.  Far from it.

Edited by BND

On 4/28/2022 at 12:16 PM, Sun Lover said:

Even though everyone has to submit a negative test to get onboard, is RCI doing daily tests of everyone for Covid?

This is why I am a proponent of getting rid of the whole negative test to board.  I take that test 2 days prior - at 5:30am - get my negative test, and then go out to the grocery store.  Then I get on an airplane to fly to the cruise port, stay in the hotel the night before, get into a taxi/lyft to get to the port.

Could easily bring covid on with me from any of those outings - and none of them were reckless.

Allow people to get tested on board, quarantine them if they test positive, and get on with the travel.

IMO.... with no disrespect to anyone.

• Like 7

On 4/29/2022 at 2:53 PM, hazeleyes46 said:

Would you do so on land? I can see on a cruise when you might not be able to avoid people.

Yes, I would.  If someone close to me had strep throat (to use your example) and 2 days later I started with strep symptoms, I would get tested.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:17 PM, firefly333 said:

carnival has chosen to quit testing b2b vaccinated cruisers. The policy says they might test you, but its ship by ship. All the posts I have seen is no test for b2b if you are vaccinated.  

Getting tested onboard for a B2B is the easiest testing possible.  I would MUCH rather do that than find testing facilities to get on a plane back to the U.S.

• Like 1

Cruising soon and bringing 6 covid19 test kits with us! They were giving em away at the YMCA recently. Senior center other options for free including us postal mail although those were missing liquid part, usa government at its finest!

Just so we know if we get it onboard? Recently a spike in cases April May in northeast USA!
Plus flu outbreaks 😷 so you can be sick but not covid19 and flu shot from November 2021 is fading in protection.
Double vaccinated and double booster too! Best we can do is hope for the best!🙏

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, firefly333 said:

Good news for b2bs there are some passengers for some Europe sailings they didn't have to do test to stay onboard if they were current with their covid shots/boosters.😃

Maybe we will start to hear this for US sailings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

Cruising soon and bringing 6 covid19 test kits with us! They were giving em away at the YMCA recently. Senior center other options for free including us postal mail although those were missing liquid part, usa government at its finest!

Just so we know if we get it onboard? Recently a spike in cases April May in northeast USA!
Plus flu outbreaks 😷 so you can be sick but not covid19 and flu shot from November 2021 is fading in protection.
Double vaccinated and double booster too! Best we can do is hope for the best!🙏

Exactly, the rules are that you need to be vaccinated but who knows if these vaccines are even still efficient. They could be as efficient as someone unvaccinated who is not allowed to cruise. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Turn off the TV and stay off the internet news sites for a while.

Doesn't help!  We're surrounded by it----most of our extended family has it now and we're 'lying low' this week to try and get a neg test before boarding this weekend.  The stress is real.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, louv2000 said:

Doesn't help!  We're surrounded by it----most of our extended family has it now and we're 'lying low' this week to try and get a neg test before boarding this weekend.  The stress is real.

Hope they are ok but are they sick with what is more like a cold? Everyone I know who has had it recently were fine in a few days.