What happens in quarantine?

natasac1

1 hour ago, spunks said:

The phones worked fine. The issue was that unless you knew the number to dial you were out of luck. I had 3 friends on the cruise, but I did not know their cabin numbers so I could not call them. Guest services would not answer so I could not get any number from them. All I could do is call my cabin and leave a message for my wife. She could not stay in the cabin because she was continuing to stand in line at Guest Services or at the internet center. The internet did not function so I could not use that. The Medallion App was non functional, so on and so on....

After reading all that you have written about your Princess experience, it clearly shows the indecisiveness of the Princess crew and their lack of caring. And we keep hearing again and again the uselessness of the Medallion app when on board. A few have said it worked but it seems like the minority.

All I can say is sorry for your absolute nightmare on Princess. Hope you have recovered.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dog said:

Does this apply to those in quarantine?

The menu was in the app & tv, when we were on theDiscovery this month with prices shown for Specialty restaurant items and pizza.

we were charged for the pizza from  GiGis as well.

Quarantine and close contacts. There was a letter from the hotel department in my husband’s quarantine cabin that spelled out his dining options. As a close contact who had to eat only in my cabin, I was supposed to get information like that, too, but never did. Finally one night I ordered two starter items from the Crown Grill through Guest Services when I couldn’t get through to Room Service, and they were delivered. I was never charged. However, a day later, when I wanted a slice of pizza, I got the whole pizza and was charged. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, san diego sue said:

You are locked in the corridor.There are those big doors that are locking you in that open to the elevators and stairs. You have no access out. Don't know if there are people in the hall watching to see if you try to leave.Friend of mine said when she was taken to isolation cabins, she was brought through crew only access areas , not public hallways or elevators.

I wonder if they have trained the crew what to do about those locked in a corridor if there was an emergence and a call to muster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder if they have trained the crew what to do about those locked in a corridor if there was an emergence and a call to muster.

The staff is poorly trained on many things right now, but the service elevator was inside that corridor so it would be one option for escape.   If I could have arranged for a helicopter, I would have used that elevator to get to the sky deck.   Nobody told us what to do though and we were never even given a new muster station.  Any evacuation would have been disaster for the entire floor that was in isolation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Drews_Cruise said:

The staff is poorly trained on many things right now, but the service elevator was inside that corridor so it would be one option for escape.   If I could have arranged for a helicopter, I would have used that elevator to get to the sky deck.   Nobody told us what to do though and we were never even given a new muster station.  Any evacuation would have been disaster for the entire floor that was in isolation. 

Totally agree. Here’s the thing…information was promised in writing about drill, safety, etc., but it simply never materialized. The letters that both quarantinees and close contacts received were definitely composed in Santa Clarita. I think they simply figured that unknown specifics would be added on the ships. But on the Ruby Princess, they never were.

I have photos of all the correspondence we received on the Ruby in my blog post at http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2022/05/what-really-happened-to-us-on-ruby.html. At least my husband (as the quarantined party) did get a standard letter from the HGM (the only way we knew we could order something from besides the standard room service menu, which would have gotten old after one day). He was also promised a Guest Services teammate who would be in touch once or twice a day  “for anything and everything”.  That never once happened. If a phone was disabled and couldn’t call Guest Services (as someone reported theirs was), you’d really be out of luck. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Thanks 1

I just read this on Facebook.  Since it exactly addressed the topic of this post, I want to share it here. This just happened on the Royal Princess ans really is the worst I have heard of yet. It sounds like the quarantine situation on board is not improving. 

3D8EB84E-03AB-40D7-AC42-2A1ED6FF9AA5.jpeg

22 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That never once happened. If a phone was disabled and couldn’t call Guest Services (as someone reported theirs was), you’d really be out of luck. 

uh, no - I'd be in the hall or on the balcony yelling until 'somebody' came to see what was going on.  just sitting back is not an option.  and don't say they are extremely sick, if so, they shouldn't be in a cabin.

maybe an air horn in the covid kit is what is needed

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just wondering out loud with the recent Carnival ship that caught fire did that ship have anyone in quarantine at the time and was someone there to unlock the fire doors?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

But...at least it's in "your" cabin. I feel so sad for those who paid for a suite and got shuffled into a balcony.

But it shouldn't be a Suprise.   We know before we get on a ship that something like this could happen.   For some it might not be a time to start cruising.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, waltd said:

But it shouldn't be a Suprise.   We know before we get on a ship that something like this could happen.   For some it might not be a time to start cruising.

I will be making an early stop at Guest Services & Muster station next time I embark to ASK about protocols If quarantine etc in an emergency!

suggest we all do.

Edited by dog
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, waltd said:

But most don’t know what “this” means. Of course we know there are quarantine cabins, and COVID, but how many people are aware that “this” means hours on hold with room service trying to get served food, and a lack of communication and attention. I think that most do not. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

But most don’t know what “this” means. Of course we know there are quarantine cabins, and COVID, but how many people are aware that “this” means hours on hold with room service trying to get served food, and a lack of communication and attention. I think that most do not. 

Well thank god we are  on CC.   We have many people that post like yourselves that give us select few a heads up.  I guess we keep spreading the word.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, waltd said:

Well thank god we are  on CC.   We have many people that post like yourselves that give us select few a heads up.  I guess we keep spreading the word.

Agree, I appreciated hearing from those on-board this season.

so different from what we read about in 2021 Alaska when Jan S. Was on-board.

• Like 3

Having gone through the onboard quarantine on emerald followed by figuring out testing etc to fly home to usa from london and then reading others stories I conclude that overall Princess really does not have their act together re how to deal with the various issues.  Like others i got nothing in writing entire time i was in quarantine telling me anything....i got one call a day from med center wanting to know my temp.  I got lucky as the bell boy told me  to call guest service and get answered quickly who then transferred me to a special line in room service which was promptly handled.

It is truly amazing that such a large company as Princess with no doubt many high paid executives could not have put together a plan along with written detailed FAQ and procedures,  I do not blame the basic crew but these execs who obviously dropped and continue to drop the ball months after resuming sailing and having multiple covid positives across all their ships.

Sorry but I think some of these execs should be removed for incompetence.  But i suspect that many will end up with a bonus or promotions.  Covid I think has revealed across a variety of large corps being run by extremely highly paid execs a level of incompetence that has shown the emperor has no clothes.

• Like 3

I hate that cruiselines have to deal with this, but it is part of cruising coming back.

I know from reading this thread, I am highly motivated to avoid quarantine. Nothing would seem as miserable in regards to cruiseing as being stuck in a cabin hoping someone answers the phone when you are hungry.

Edited by Riley_Mon

3 minutes ago, dockman said:

Having gone through the onboard quarantine on emerald followed by figuring out testing etc to fly home to usa from london and then reading others stories I conclude that overall Princess really does not have their act together re how to deal with the various issues.  Like others i got nothing in writing entire time i was in quarantine telling me anything....i got one call a day from med center wanting to know my temp.  I got lucky as the bell boy told me  to call guest service and get answered quickly who then transferred me to a special line in room service which was promptly handled.

It is truly amazing that such a large company as Princess with no doubt many high paid executives could not have put together a plan along with written detailed FAQ and procedures,  I do not blame the basic crew but these execs who obviously dropped and continue to drop the ball months after resuming sailing and having multiple covid positives across all their ships.

Sorry but I think some of these execs should be removed for incompetence.  But i suspect that many will end up with a bonus or promotions.  Covid I think has revealed across a variety of large corps being run by extremely highly paid execs a level of incompetence that has shown the emperor has no clothes.

The Peter Principle in all it's glory.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, waltd said:

It is not a question of could but "IT IS happening" on all of their ships now and they are doing nothing to protect passengers and even worse wash their hands as fast as they can when passengers get ill.

Maybe passengers who have total disregard for their fellow passengers and do not want to practice safe Covid protocols should not be cruising.  That makes a lot more sense.  Either be part of the solution or do not cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

uh, no - I'd be in the hall or on the balcony yelling until 'somebody' came to see what was going on.  just sitting back is not an option.  and don't say they are extremely sick, if so, they shouldn't be in a cabin.

maybe an air horn in the covid kit is what is needed

If you have Covid you will not be yelling....believe me!  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Yes, this is what I was afraid of when I posted the question you answered. And subsequent posts seem to further prove that they do not have their act together. 

1 hour ago, waltd said:

Just wondering out loud with the recent Carnival ship that caught fire did that ship have anyone in quarantine at the time and was someone there to unlock the fire doors?

That is a great question. I hope someone can actually provide an answer.

I hope this thread doesn't scare people into not reporting Covid when on board a cruise ship.

We  have made the decision to cruise and have four booked future cruises. (and already have been on four cruises since cruising began again)However, none of our cruises will start and end anywhere except in the U.S.If we have to isolate, will do it. Being within driving of a port makes us feel more secure. If we have to go to a hotel because too sick to drive, that is fine with us.

The article that was posted by the lady isolated in Vancouver shows how expensive  and difficult isolation after a cruise can be. Some postings mention that passengers were driven to Seattle instead. I think for U.S. citizens that would have been preferred. Less hassle after 5 days of isolation.

The responsible thing is to report when you are ill. Protect your fellow human beings, please.

Edited by san diego sue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1