Guest Relations/Customer Service? Where, oh, where?

Harrietq

I have a serious issue with how a COVID situation was handled by Azamara on a recent cruise. 

First, I tried AzamaraGuestRelations@azamara.com. No response. Twice. Then I called the general number, and the agent said post-cruise guest concerns were still being handled by Royal Caribbean customer service (a number also listed on AZ’s website). I called, detailed our issues, got some reassuring murmurs that she spoke to her supervisor and I should detail our story in an email and send to royalguestrelations@rccl.com. Upon sending the details, I did receive a boilerplate response from a “named” agent who listed the general number as her contact. The email address was the one to which I sent my document. Essentially, a non-response. I replied to the email and haven’t yet heard a response. I’ve been waiting what I think is a reasonable time between communiqués.

I’m concerned that my story has fallen down a hole. I have no confidence that anyone has taken any interest, not to mention ownership, of our complaint.

Does anyone have any suggestions of further avenues I might investigate? I’d truly appreciate any ideas or leads. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

What do you consider a reasonable time?  A day, a week?  

Three to four days after each contact. A couple were sent concurrently as I was asking two different organizations (AZ and RCL). And this was simply asking for a confirmation of receipt. I certainly did not expect a resolution.

• Like 1

They are taking a long time to answer queries at present. I had a query about visas and sent an email to the Customer Service email address on 4 April and then on 18 April to Azamara Circle. Initially I got a standard ‘thanks for your email, someone will get back to you soon’ reply from Customer Service, but nothing from Azamara Circle. However on 28 April I got a reply from Customer Services and on 1 May I got a second more detailed reply from Customer Services which was actually in response to my Azamara Circle email.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laurieb said:

What do you consider a reasonable time?  A day, a week?  

Oops had a tech issue 

What do I consider to be a reasonable time well the answer is certainly not the length of time we are currently waiting. Like grandma I have waited two weeks up to no reply and yes I am using the right email address

We all appreciate pandemic but in many organisations that excuse is now just being trotted out. If they can’t recruit staff or are still running at lower service levels they need to start being honest about it. I’ve seen some companies do that and you think more of them as a result

• Like 7

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Oops had a tech issue 

What do I consider to be a reasonable time well the answer is certainly not the length of time we are currently waiting. Like grandma I have waited two weeks up to no reply and yes I am using the right email address

We all appreciate pandemic but in many organisations that excuse is now just being trotted out. If they can’t recruit staff or are still running at lower service levels they need to start being honest about it. I’ve seen some companies do that and you think more of them as a result

Thanks Uktog. Sometimes I get the feeling that some members (Trolls? Azamara defenders? Travel agents?) are posting without really contributing. Empty answers like “we have to live with Covid” or “Azamara is not a health clinic” make me wonder what is the intention behind 🧐. As a cruiser who really like the Azamara product (at least before the new owners), I am surprised about some posts. If the intention is to defend or justify the obvious mistakes from Azamara right now, I am afraid the purpose is not being achieved. On the contrary some of us, who are really looking for help and answers on this boards are rather annoyed with empty answers.
Ivi

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks Uktog. Sometimes I get the feeling that some members (Trolls? Azamara defenders? Travel agents?) are posting without really contributing. Empty answers like “we have to live with Covid” or “Azamara is not a health clinic” make me wonder what is the intention behind 🧐. As a cruiser who really like the Azamara product (at least before the new owners), I am surprised about some posts. If the intention is to defend or justify the obvious mistakes from Azamara right now, I am afraid the purpose is not being achieved. On the contrary some of us, who are really looking for help and answers on this boards are rather annoyed with empty answers.
Ivi

I was one of the posters, you referred to and certainly not a troll. I’ve been on Silversea twice,  Celebrity twice, and Oceania once. I signed up for this upcoming cruise since I like small ship sizes, the price was good, and hope to receive a similar experience as Oceania.

Personally, I would “love” to know what the COVID related complaint was??? The cruise line can’t win. 

If they respond with “loosen up” and stop trying to bully us with your COVID fears then you will be “offended”, and if they follow some of the ideas expressed on this board, they might as well close shop now, because no one would want to be on your “ideal” cruise.

• Like 3

I am wondering if all the effort has been put into the launch of Onward and it has left them spread even thinner than normal. One thing is for sure, there is only so much time a company can keep using the 'due to covid' defence.  I know other cruise lines have similar service issues but that doesn't make it right. I love Azamara at sea but the website, back office and reservations sometimes make it hard to stay loyal.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, john1970 said:

I am wondering if all the effort has been put into the launch of Onward and it has left them spread even thinner than normal. One thing is for sure, there is only so much time a company can keep using the 'due to covid' defence.  I know other cruise lines have similar service issues but that doesn't make it right. I love Azamara at sea but the website, back office and reservations sometimes make it hard to stay loyal.

John, I agree with you about wanting a similar experience as pre-covid. I also prefer not to hear excuses and would like some semblance of normal.

However, if the number of COVID related messages in this forum is indicative of the type of people actually going on the cruise, then there is a very “real” level of stress to the system related to COVID.

We just went out yesterday for Mother’s Day in the US at a Brazilian Steakhouse (Fogo De Chau), and it was great. No masks used by the servers or guests. Hard to make an all you can eat steak place COVID friendly. 

Hoping my June experience will be a fun and relaxed…

• Like 3

I believe the level of stress is not because of individual attitudes to whether they should travel or not it’s because the communication from the cruise line has been confusing, contradictory and very unclear. That’s a back office issue which is plaguing everything including wait times at the call centre. It doesn’t take rocket science or budget to sort effectively communicating  one version of the truth. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, john1970 said:

I’m afraid I've been hearing some very negative reports from friends currently on Onward who are very experienced Azamara cruisers (and I'm talking a LOT of cruises and money spent) and they say the ship is not ready and shouldn't have sailed. The odd thing or two, but there are many. And the crew aren't adequately trained. It's very disheartening for me to hear this as a lover of Azamara. And the reports from Quest that I heard weren't at all stellar either. It all seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket just now, no matter how it's dressed up as "Covid". I think we just need to be honest. 

Phil 

• Like 6

I too heard from someone today, not the same person as Phil, an Azamara loyalist often top cruiser and their report was very similar to the one Phil gave. The ship shouldn’t have sailed missing equipment including key kitchen items that’s impacted on everything. They reported the ship wasn’t clean (I’ve no specifics on that).  But what bothered me most was there comments about the crew and in particular the lack of effective supervision by those who could start to make things better. I reported exactly the same problems on Quest last month but thought well at least they will get it better on Onward they’ve plenty of time and executive focus there. Sadly not true it seems. 

Yep that hand basket (containing decent tonic linked to WiFi fit for purpose) has left the building 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’m afraid I've been hearing some very negative reports from friends currently on Onward who are very experienced Azamara cruisers (and I'm talking a LOT of cruises and money spent) and they say the ship is not ready and shouldn't have sailed. The odd thing or two, but there are many. And the crew aren't adequately trained. It's very disheartening for me to hear this as a lover of Azamara. And the reports from Quest that I heard weren't at all stellar either. It all seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket just now, no matter how it's dressed up as "Covid". I think we just need to be honest. 

Phil 

Good point…not sure if other cruise lines are dealing with similar issues or not. Overall, customer service is way down here in the US. 2-years of low profits, higher employee costs, supply chain issues, increased food/fuel/non-food costs, and additional requirements in non-core areas are causing stresses almost everywhere.

We have a casual chain called Panera and you can’t even get a cup of coffee. They shut down their app whenever they are overwhelmed to prevent orders (seen this happen at 3 different locations).

23 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Good point…not sure if other cruise lines are dealing with similar issues or not. Overall, customer service is way down here in the US. 2-years of low profits, higher employee costs, supply chain issues, increased food/fuel/non-food costs, and additional requirements in non-core areas are causing stresses almost everywhere.

We have a casual chain called Panera and you can’t even get a cup of coffee. They shut down their app whenever they are overwhelmed to prevent orders (seen this happen at 3 different locations).

Whilst others have had challenges they seem to be coping better overall (from first hand experience on two other lines). I think Azamaras attempt to somehow go from 1-4 vessels working with new owners in a rapid space of time hasn’t helped their cause.

Staff have a different view of work post pandemic (every organisation has that issue just now) but Azamara seems to be ploughing on believing their own rhetoric. 
It used to be feedback about major issues onboard were reacted to and post cruise surveys were followed up on. Our first hand experience in both cases is no they are not. Not looking for financial recompense - but feeling someone is listening and empathising with issues and a simple we need to get that better next time you’re with us would go a long long way. Currently you’re left with a “nobody cares” feeling. 

• Like 5

Certainly the experiences posted here are concerning and need to be addressed.

I will reference one positive response that I benefitted from.

We needed to postpone a cruise that we had booked by implementing the rewards from changing loyalty level. I enjoyed almost immediate contact with the service centre and was surprised at a change in policy that was to our benefit.

The helpful agent warned us that we would need to have confirmation about said policy from a higher official. It took about three weeks, not surprising considering that they have bigger fish to fry, but our benefit was confirmed.

This instance is, as I mentioned, not to question the serious issues faced by others.

But I would be remiss in not mentioning an efficient and beneficial engagement.

Since we are not convinced that things will soon return to “normal”, as referenced in many problems encountered, in an excess of caution we will still be staying home for a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not usually a 'cheerleader' however we had an excellent B2B on Quest from 16th April.  It was great to see some old faces amongst waiters and bartenders.  The welcome home was as genuine as ever I think. The new Captain was really good and very much fitted into the Azamara mould. (until he contracted Covid)  The Associate Cruise Director Darren, shortly moving to Journey, was excellent.  Great band in the Living Room.

My only complaints, which did not spoil my cruise, were:

Limited menu in Prime C and Aqualina.  Who chose the sides ?  I do not eat fish so I accept I am difficult.  Had some great steaks, the lamb was good.  No chicken ?

Cabaret lounge entertainment was uninspiring.  First week too many dancers, not enough good singers.  Second week worse.  CD was going through the motions, understandably because she was about to leave the ship to go home to marry the Shore Excursions Manager.

Didnt get the dock in Kotor, Weather said to impact in Dubrovnik, so in the cruise port rather than tendering into old town.

Change from Venice Marghera, to Ravenna, did have an impact.  Ravenna was lovely but now I have seen it and would not return - Would go back to Venice time and time again.

First week we had 276 guests, second week 419.  Not sure whether they will cope with a full ship. Large contingent from the UK (174) US (181).

I see that Pursuit actually had an off the ship Azamazing evening, unlike us.  We had the Sopranos in Livorno and 2 tenors and a soprano in Amalfi.  Very good but no substitute for the off ship events we have previously enjoyed.

Made the decision to book a 14 day Spain intensive June 2023 despite me being certain that I would book no more cruises until we complete our Scenic river cruise and Viking Med in Sept.

All in all they did a good job - not up to pre Covid standard - but we met such great fellow cruisers and hope to do so again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mdpa said:

I was one of the posters, you referred to and certainly not a troll. I’ve been on Silversea twice,  Celebrity twice, and Oceania once. I signed up for this upcoming cruise since I like small ship sizes, the price was good, and hope to receive a similar experience as Oceania.

Personally, I would “love” to know what the COVID related complaint was??? The cruise line can’t win. 

If they respond with “loosen up” and stop trying to bully us with your COVID fears then you will be “offended”, and if they follow some of the ideas expressed on this board, they might as well close shop now, because no one would want to be on your “ideal” cruise.

The nature of my complaint has little to do with my post. I am simply inquiring whether anyone might have an idea how to more effectively find and deal with the appropriate customer service personnel and let those resources judge whether or not my issue has merit and substance. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I am not usually a 'cheerleader' however we had an excellent B2B on Quest from 16th April.  It was great to see some old faces amongst waiters and bartenders.  The welcome home was as genuine as ever I think. The new Captain was really good and very much fitted into the Azamara mould. (until he contracted Covid)  The Associate Cruise Director Darren, shortly moving to Journey, was excellent.  Great band in the Living Room.

My only complaints, which did not spoil my cruise, were:

Limited menu in Prime C and Aqualina.  Who chose the sides ?  I do not eat fish so I accept I am difficult.  Had some great steaks, the lamb was good.  No chicken ?

Cabaret lounge entertainment was uninspiring.  First week too many dancers, not enough good singers.  Second week worse.  CD was going through the motions, understandably because she was about to leave the ship to go home to marry the Shore Excursions Manager.

Didnt get the dock in Kotor, Weather said to impact in Dubrovnik, so in the cruise port rather than tendering into old town.

Change from Venice Marghera, to Ravenna, did have an impact.  Ravenna was lovely but now I have seen it and would not return - Would go back to Venice time and time again.

First week we had 276 guests, second week 419.  Not sure whether they will cope with a full ship. Large contingent from the UK (174) US (181).

I see that Pursuit actually had an off the ship Azamazing evening, unlike us.  We had the Sopranos in Livorno and 2 tenors and a soprano in Amalfi.  Very good but no substitute for the off ship events we have previously enjoyed.

Made the decision to book a 14 day Spain intensive June 2023 despite me being certain that I would book no more cruises until we complete our Scenic river cruise and Viking Med in Sept.

All in all they did a good job - not up to pre Covid standard - but we met such great fellow cruisers and hope to do so again.

Appreciate the update and it sounds like a few non-Azamara related issues conspired against you. Sorry to hear about your port changes…our related cruise originated in Venice and stopped in Kotor, so would not be happy with those changes.

Unfortunately, Venice has been threatening the change in policy for quite a while. Back in 2017 we had the benefit of arriving by boat to our hotel from the airport, and then taking the same boat to our cruise ship. Great experience…

1 hour ago, mdpa said:

Appreciate the update and it sounds like a few non-Azamara related issues conspired against you. Sorry to hear about your port changes…our related cruise originated in Venice and stopped in Kotor, so would not be happy with those changes.

Unfortunately, Venice has been threatening the change in policy for quite a while. Back in 2017 we had the benefit of arriving by boat to our hotel from the airport, and then taking the same boat to our cruise ship. Great experience…

Yes but Viking and Saga and others are docking in the admittedly far from ideal industrial port of Marghera/Fusina with a 30 minute transfer. 
Like you pleased we had the opportunity to visit Venice previously. I did feel bad for those expecting Venice as it was a last minute change. Apparently we get a future cruise certificate from USD upwards depending on state room. No idea how this will be documented.

5 hours ago, mdpa said:

However, if the number of COVID related messages in this forum is indicative of the type of people actually going on the cruise, then there is a very “real” level of stress to the system related to COVID.

I am feeling that stress. We are long time cruisers on products from Royal Viking to carnival to regent. but this is our first Azamara booking. I know the uncertainty of Covid makes it difficult to predict things but this customer service situation is the worst I have see on any cruise line we have traveled. Everything is confusing and the daily weekly changes to the testing etc are so anxiety inducing. Add to that the difficulty in contacting the cruise line. Very stressful. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I am not usually a 'cheerleader' however we had an excellent B2B on Quest from 16th April.  

……

Glad to hear you had a great cruise on the Quest. Thanks for sharing your impressions. 

I believe the ship that had an Azamazing evening and not the entertainers coming on board was the Onward. I hope the Pursuit also does it for our next cruise in about one week from now. We will also stop in Livorno.

Ivi

50 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Glad to hear you had a great cruise on the Quest. Thanks for sharing your impressions. 

I believe the ship that had an Azamazing evening and not the entertainers coming on board was the Onward. I hope the Pursuit also does it for our next cruise in about one week from now. We will also stop in Livorno.

Ivi

Sorry of course it was Onward. I hope you do have a proper Azamazing evening.  I am sure you will have a great cruise.

• Like 1

We have done a lot of cruises over the years and one of our rules is never sail on a ship right out of dry dock.  Too many chances for problems.  Given the extensive work on the Onward, I would be more surprised if there weren’t any problems.

• Like 6

We have had a problem with part of our schedule on our B2B cruise in October last year. As we booked through a TA they are chasing (very, very slowly) but it took until early April this year for Azamara to respond. Their answer did not marry up with the facts so a further response has been made.

We are still waiting for a response... But we are not letting go.

• Like 1

I am always puzzled as to why anyone in the hospitality business let customers loose on a facility that it not fit for purpose , greed I presume.

Some years back my husband and I booked the first cruise after the refurb on Journey, quite honestly it was a joke , there was no way it was ready for guests , far to many issues to list here , I’d be typing all day ! In fact it wasn’t even passenger ready when we got off .

looking back God knows how ,but we had a brilliant holiday met some fabulous people . We are seasoned cruisers but this was our first Azamara cruise and it could quite easily been our last but it wasn’t.

The lesson we did learn however is we’d never ever sail on a ship after it had come out of of dry dock or on its inaugural sailing . 
We are booked on the Onward for next Jan and we can’t wait.

• Like 6