Why choose a suite?

So, we cruise more on celebrity than royal, and LOVE that a suite comes with a dedicated restaurant! 
But on royal there is no such perk as far as i can tell. 
We are looking at mariner of the seas in August and suite prices are tempting, but what do we get over a standard balcony anyway?
we are diamond (thanks to being elite on celebrity) if that matters.

So, why a suite? Probably get a slightly bigger cabin I’d guess, but anything besides priority this or that?

thanks for any shared wisdom

Depends on the boat, larger vessels have coastal kitchen which is a dedicated suite restaurant.

We always choose a suite.......because we like the one with the piano and our daughter plays it all the time. ;).

Other than that...space, high touch with concierge and/or genie, second bathroom (sometimes)...we are almost always a party of 4....then there is the better/larger bath tubs and no a small shower stall benefit.....

On the smaller boats in a suite you also get a dedicated place for breakfast even if they don't have coastal kitchen....we love breakfast in chops.

Edited by dodgestang

11 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

So, we cruise more on celebrity than royal, and LOVE that a suite comes with a dedicated restaurant! 
We are looking at mariner of the seas in August and suite prices are tempting, but what do we get over a standard balcony anyway?

So, why a suite? Probably get a slightly bigger cabin I’d guess, but anything besides priority this or that?

Diamond gets you 4 drinks a day anywhere anytime up to $13 and a day of free wifi.

JS isnt counted as a suite, but above that you have a suite lounge with happy hour for a few hours. 

• Like 1

I think wifey saw a suite guarantee for the same(almost) as a balcony.

it would likely be a junior suite, unless we are very lucky.

just wondering what a suite would get that’s better than a balcony 

The suite life on Royal is incredible.   Ships with Coastal Kitchen are the best as this is the private restaurant for suites.   On freedom class you get CHOPS for breakfast, but no private dinner spot.   

Book a JS GTY and then when it get closer to your sail date put in a bid for a Royal Up to a Larger Suite.

If the sailing you picked has al ot of larger suites still available after final payment and your Royal Up Bid is decent, you may have a good shot at one of the larger suites.

5 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

To that very specific question......shower/tub in the bathroom, little more space in the room, double points for C&A

6 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

JS doesnt get suite lounge. Oh well, if it's about the same price I'd do the JS for the extra loyalty pt. 

2 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

To that very specific question......shower/tub in the bathroom, little more space in the room, double points for C&A

Just to be clear they dont get double pts. As a solo I get 2 pts in a regular cabin. I get 1 extra not double with a JS.

Someone on next cruise here on my ship told a lady sailing solo she would get double and nkw she thinks she will get 4. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Just to be clear they dont get double pts. As a solo I get 2 pts in a regular cabin. I get 1 extra not double with a JS.

Someone on next cruise here on my ship told a lady sailing solo she would get double and nkw she thinks she will get 4. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/26/royal-caribbeans-junior-suites-what-you-need-know

28 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

We love Celebrity’s suite class but RCI doesn’t come close unless you book Star class. The JS is a glorified larger stateroom but it’s the highest I will book on most RCI ships unless they have Star class. Very few perks and nothing close to X. If you book I suggest keeping your expectations in check.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Junior Suite is basically just a bigger room.  It doesn't get the full array of suite perks

I've done Junior Suites on the Mariner a couple of times, and I've also done full suites on X ... and yes, they are absolutely apples to oranges.

That being said, if the price difference is negligible I would definitely go for it! The perks don't compare, it's true, but they aren't nonexistent either. For me, having the tub, the extra closet space and the larger room & balcony are worth it. 

50 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I've done a JS how about you? I also know going from 2 pts to 3 isnt double in the math I learned.

Sorry I know about JS i guess you dont if you have to post a link. Like i said a lady at my Mdr dinner table booked onboard at next cruise. They booked her solo into a JS so she thought she would get 4 pts. They said double pts. Why not say 1 more pt for a suite and use exact language. Not new math to make it sound different. 

I think the world thinks everything is about being a couple so solos are swept under the table. 2 plus 1 more pt equals 3 pts, she will not get 4 pts. 

There’s nothing wrong with a Junior Suite but the snobs always say things like it’s not a suite, etc. (Despite it having Suite in the title.)

You still get double points, a bathtub, larger room and nice balcony and on some ships dinner at Coastal Kitchen which is nice, all at significant savings over higher level suites. Other than the genie, you will get treated just as well by crew and get the nice seats. 
True you won’t be able to rub elbows with the hoity toity drunks in the Suite lounge but there’s are plenty of other nice places to drink. 

As for the genie portion, I have no experience other than seeing them doing what their guests are too lazy to do. No thanks, Sir Squishalot I can use the app just fine. 

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've done a JS how about you? I also know going from 2 pts to 3 isnt double in the math I learned.

Sorry I know about JS i guess you dont if you have to post a link. Like i said a lady at my Mdr dinner table booked onboard at next cruise. They booked her solo into a JS so she thought she would get 4 pts. They said double pts. Why not say 1 more pt for a suite and use exact language. Not new math to make it sound different. 

I think the world thinks everything is about being a couple so solos are swept under the table. 2 plus 1 more pt equals 3 pts, she will not get 4 pts. 

Uhhh....why are we talking about solo cruising.  Original poster didn't mention solo.  When you sail in balcony you get 1 point per night, when you sail in a junior you get 2 points per night....otherwise know as double points to the cruising community at large using double occupancy.  How solo layers into that is something you obviously know more about than me....but that's doesn't discount the fact that sailing in a JS gets you double C&A points.  Sounds like what you are trying to say, is that the OP, if they were to sail alone in a JS would get 3 point per night....which is double points for the suite and then 1 additional for the solo run 😉  Where-as since you always sail in a non-suite as a solo you were already getting 'double points' because of the 1 point per night bonus and then personally felt slightly when that didn't stack to a +4.  They do make it overly complicated sometimes with language choices.

As for the link.....documentation is always preferred when justifying a position in opposition to someone.   I'm sorry if you would prefer to only debate with anecdotes.  On the plus side.....thanks to covid I've been banking on double suites and double covid...so I have been getting 4 points per night for 4 outings now....only downside though is I have to put up with my family 😉

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Uhhh....why are we talking about solo cruising.  Original poster didn't mention solo.  When you sail in balcony you get 1 point per night, when you sail in a junior you get 2 points per night....otherwise know as double points to the cruising community at large using double occupancy.  How solo layers into that is something you obviously know more about than me....but that's doesn't discount the fact that sailing in a JS gets you double C&A points.  Sounds like what you are trying to say, is that the OP, if they were to sail alone in a JS would get 3 point per night....which is double points for the suite and then 1 additional for the solo run 😉  Where-as since you always sail in a non-suite as a solo you were already getting 'double points' because of the 1 point per night bonus and then personally felt slightly when that didn't stack to a +4.  They do make it overly complicated sometimes with language choices.

As for the link.....documentation is always preferred when justifying a position in opposition to someone.   I'm sorry if you would prefer to only debate with anecdotes.  On the plus side.....thanks to covid I've been banking on double suites and double covid...so I have been getting 4 points per night for 4 outings now....only downside though is I have to put up with my family 😉

it came up because someone posted you get double pts in a JS.

Btw I told the lady at my dinner table about cruise critic. I suggested she come on here and ask how many pts she will get in a JS. I told her 3 but she wouldnt believe me. The next cruise rep told her double pts which to her means 4. So i said after she gets off ask and someone will explain how many pts she will get as a solo in a JS. I think its sloppy language to tell someone they will get double pts, like the next cruise rep told her to get her to book a JS. 

Idk if she will come on here and ask or not. She wouldnt accept my answer of 3 pts per day. She thinks there is just some special deal the next cruise rep got her for double pts. 

54 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

It's an extra point for suites not double. If it was double points solos would get 4 points for suites.

And if your math worked for doubling when royal actually ran the double points promo a solo in a regular cabin would not get 4 points a night 

It's one point for sailing. One point for suites. One point for solo cruises not in a studio. 

5 hours ago, justcrusn said:

Hello🙂

we also are X cruisers that do royal now and then… We feel it’s oranges against pear’s. My expectations are lower on royal in some areas. It’s not the same type of product in many ways. 

-what I expect to be good on royal is shows/entertainment, sports activities, mini golf, FlowRider, pool-areas. 

-what I expect to be less quality is the food in mdr, buffet and the level of “privat” service feeling. 

I had a gty suite last week on Voyager. Did get a JS. 
The stateroom was larger then a balcony. It had a tub, large sofa area and a walk-in. There was no amenities like q-tips/cotton pads. (Very stripped) 
when it comes to service/“suite” perks. There are non. It’s just like staying in an ordinary balcony. You don’t have access to the suite lounge or reserved seats around the pool. 

But you get extra points… (I’m diamond/Elite) 

This sailing had excellent food in mdr and buffet for lunch. 
The entertainment/live music was under my expectations. 

It was my first cruise since lock-down. So my bar for expectations was not on 🔝
My shoulders was more, it’s a CRUISE!!!

But I must admit, my heart is at X. It’s the details and something they offer that fits my needs and expectations better. 

If the price for gty suite is similar to balcony, we book js or gty suite. It’s due to space. Nothing else. 

We started with a Guaranteed Suite cabin (first time doing a guaranteed cabin). We were, of course, booked into a junior suite. We put in a RoyalUp offer but never got anything so when I asked the TA what the actual cost to upgrade to a 1-bed grand suite, it was less than what our Royal Up offer was so we took it. We have Coastal Kitchen access, VOOM is included, happy hour, concierge, etc. Can't wait - we leave in 2 days!!

• Like 1

To me, the Junior Suite "normal" sized tub/shower and the walk-in closet (which can be used as a changing room), and the extra C&A point, make it worth more than the Balcony room.  Going up to a "full" suite does give some additional perqs, like the Grand Suite giving wifi, better soaps, a slightly bigger bathroom, and a larger room.  Having done all three, we like the cost/benefit ratio of the JS. I don't think we could go back to a balcony truthfully just because of the bathroom/closet.  We have never been on Celebrity, so do not have a point of reference to compare between the two lines.

• Like 1

For us, it was a graduation - from our first inside cabin, to ocean view, to balcony, to Jr. suites. Recently did the royal up to a grand suite. The only perk from a balcony to a Jr. suite is double points and a slightly larger cabin. And we've also had access to the lounge when there was room. Also Coastal Kitchen. Cruise after this might be Celebrity!

Sometimes I feel like the resident oddball on here (but I'm kinda used to that and don't mind in the slightest).

My wife grew up cruising with her parents in mostly balconies or an occasional suite. She told me she "needed" a balcony so that's what we got on our honeymoon and next few cruises. I'm frugal and we really weren't using the balcony much but happy wife...

When we were 4 points from Diamond I convinced her to try the cheapest 4-night cruise we could find in an interior. During that cruise she realized she actually liked the interior. She acknowledged we didn't really use the balcony and she liked how dark and cold the interior got for naps/sleeping. Other than Alaska or when her parents are taking the family, we've been cave dwellers ever since. 🤣

All that said, we'll be in our first ever Grand Suite on Harmony in 2 weeks (family cruise for her parents' 50th anniversary). I'm looking forward to the perks more than the room but I'm sure we'll love it... then it's right back to a cave in July.

Different strokes... Her parents have been lovingly teasing me about my frugality for 20 years.

• Like 3

We will do a Junior suite for the larger bathroom and extra points when it is not too much more than our standard Ocean View balcony. The good deals don’t happen too often. 

For example, we sailed in Feb on a 7-night Navigator cruise in a Junior Suite for $2,400 and it was part of their “double points” promotion. We felt it was a good deal to do the suite for the extra room and earn 28 C&A points for the one trip. 

Our best deal was a 2 bedroom suite 7-night Southern cruise on Adventure. 3 of us sailed for $3400. Wish I could find that deal again!!!

The Junior suite normal price tends to be near double the price of the OV balcony and we’d rather take 2 cruises in a balcony vs one in a Junior suite for the same money.  

• Like 1