What is your comfortable per night cost when you cruise?

Hi Guys,

I broke down our next cruise to a per night cost and was surprised to say the least! Curious on where most people are comfortable at for a per night cost when you cruise. 

For example-: Our next cruise is a RC cruise, 18 nights in Junior Suite, with drinks package and internet package. It breaks down to (without flights and 4 night stay) $393 each per night.

We usually would be a lot more conservative however, we have a cruise savings account that is toped up each week. We like to cruise twice a year and in saying this we have 2 and half years of cruise savings and we are going all out on the first cruise since the pandemic shut the industry down.   

Just cruise only is $295 per night each.

Edited by SuitesRbest
  • Like 1

Before COVID we cruised several times a year and now have five cruises booked plus the world cruise in June 2023. We don't spend $393pn pp but probably around half that amount. This is without a drinks package so drinks are a modest add-on.

• Like 1

We sail mid ship balcony, sweet spot used to be $200pp pn, now creeping up about $250.

But a few years ago, strewth must be near on 5, we did a two night get away on Celebrity Solstice, the night before the cruise in a Sydney Hotel, diner and breakfast cost more than the cruise.

• Like 3

Really depends on the cruise line TBH, as you can see below from the 4 cruises we have booked it’s a wide range when on a per night basis!

We have 4 in the pipeline, the first is just a 4 night from Sydney in June with P&O, works out at $113 each a night for a guarantee balcony but no inclusions, after that its a 19 day transpacific on Ovation of the Seas in October in a standard balcony and it works out at $207 each including one way flights to Hawaii and 2 nights in a Hotel and transfers and US$200 OBC, but no drinks or WIFI packages, with this one though we got moved from the cancelled 16 night Radiance of the seas crossing at no extra charge plus we got the OBC.

Following on from that’s we have a 13 night luxury cruise with Azamara in a standard balcony from Sydney to Perth in Feb 2023, that’s pretty much all inclusive with the exception of excursions, but we do get US$500 OBC, cost per night though is $436 each plus the one way flight back to Sydney which will be about $275 each.

Lastly we have an 18 night Princess Cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney in an Aft Balcony with $285 OBC, Drinks and WIFI packages and a nights specialty dinning, that works out at $214 each but we will need to sort out 1 or 2 nights in HK pre cruise and one way flights from Sydney, but with HK still closed that’s yet to be organised, but estimating about $1700-$2000 for the 2 of us.

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 1

It depends on the itinerary, the cruise line and the cabin type.

For example among the Princess cruises we currently have booked there is:

- a suite Plus fare at $284 on a South Australia cruise

- a balcony cabin Plus fare at $392 on a Round Australia cruise

- balcony cabin Plus fare at $374 on a world cruise

The suite is the cheapest of the three!!!! 😊

We cancelled a Cunard cruise as it was almost $500 for a balcony cabin with no drinks or internet packages included. 

• Like 5

Depends on the cruise. As a guide, I like $100 inside, $200 balcony, $300 mini-suite, and these are also clouded by what extra is included.

The length of the cruise plays a part. Happy to pick an inside cabin, which we often do on a longer cruise. We have done a few short cruises in some amazing suites, and price per night wasn't a real consideration, more about how we could get an extra treat from a short getaway.

The next 2 cruises are short, and we have gone suite, then mini. Both of these come in well below the usual price point. The one after that is 11 nights in a mini, which was really  cheap to book at the time everybody else was cancelling.

For us, it is when can we go, where do we want to go, and only then we will look at our budget and see what we get for our dollars.

• Like 2

Itinerary is important as we work through our bucket list.  Done a few insides (never again), lots of window cabins (if a cruise is expensive but we really love the itinerary, don't mind going back to that).  At this stage, really prefer balconies.   The frills i.e. suites, drinks package etc don't bother us because a wine with dinner is all we want.   Don't really care about expensive cruise lines but we do prefer RCCL and Princess.

I like something in the 150-200 pppd range, but at this stage we're travelling with 4 which might skew the numbers a bit - and we like 2 week cruises if possible, which leans to a lower per day cost.

But it really depends on a few things - length of cruise, line, type of stateroom, itinerary etc.

I’ve got a free suite on Pacific Explorer in 3 weeks and I feel I paid to much.

I think you’re on quantum trans pacific,$400 a night is pretty steep for a repo.

Ive got a 7 night balcony on Ovation in December for $120 a night each .

The booze package is $120 and the Internet is $27. Then specialty dining is about $70 .

It seems the extras are about the same as the fare.

• Like 1

Depends also where you are cruising. Check out European fares for next year and you'll be hard pressed to find anything under $300pn for a basic Outside cabin, wheras in Australian waters you should be able to find a decent cabin in the $150/200 range, and if it's Princess it's probably worth getting the Plus package [other lines less so]. 

Booking early has helped us, with a Christmas/New Year cruise on Princess including Plus less than $300pn, wheras on some other lines it would be more. 

P&O can still offer limited sale fares at not much more than $100pn, but have you noticed how the up market lines like Azamara have upped their rates, and they may not offer the last minute bargains that they have in the past.

• Like 3

I have a transpacific in a large balcony junior suite for $250 night, which I think is pretty good value for a mainstream line.

We also do expedition cruising and our next cruise is $1350pp/pn (29 nights) obviously a very different experience and to us worthwhile. 

• Like 1

It's horses for courses

It really does depend on a range of factors - we have an expedition cruise on Silversea booked for over $1,200 pdpp but that is only something we do every few years (not regularly) and that includes J class airfares to UK etc and is totally inclusive, a Cunard QG we have booked for a short cruise was much cheaper per day when we booked it but way more expensive now for the PG and 2 Princess cruises this year are around the $180-$200 pppd for mini suite, drinks and internet.

Basically we look at where we want to go and what we are prepared to pay (and can afford at the time).

• Like 3

These days I'd rather go on a more costly small line (e.g., Oceania, Azamara) less frequently, than a 'mass market' line more frequently.  Nothing to do with Covid, more to do with us being anti-social. We don't like children on cruises and we really, really value good food and interesting destinations.  So it's not a per-night question really - some people might cruise three or four times a year on cheaper lines, we might cruise once a year on a line that costs four times as much.    All of us are happy, and that's the main thing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lahore said:

These days I'd rather go on a more costly small line (e.g., Oceania, Azamara) less frequently, than a 'mass market' line more frequently.  Nothing to do with Covid, more to do with us being anti-social. We don't like children on cruises and we really, really value good food and interesting destinations.  So it's not a per-night question really - some people might cruise three or four times a year on cheaper lines, we might cruise once a year on a line that costs four times as much.    All of us are happy, and that's the main thing.

I prefer all inclusive small ship cruising.  Usually I cruise with no single supplement, but it still costs around $1000 per night (my limit).  

• Like 3

On 5/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, MicCanberra said:

I would prefer to cruise for free, big line or small, but this has rarely happened, so I am prepared to pay for what we want.

A pound of flesh is usually where I draw the line, as an arm & a leg isn't sustainable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Belinda Van Krevel said:

image.png.969c80b05600d0196137a2f9c41fdfdb.png

Have you done any cruises?  I lived and worked in 'The Gong in the 1970's.👮‍♂️It was a dump back then.

Anyway if you want to know about cruising, plenty of experts on here, just ask.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 10:29 AM, lahore said:

That’s us in a nutshell.  We prefer once a year or even every two years, in a spacious, well-appointed suite.  We choose Oceania more  often than not, for the same reasons you nominate.  This year is unusual:  a 14 day Oceania on Sirena then after some time in Cornwall and Somerset, we fly to Barcelona to board Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, sailing home to Sydney on its repositioning cruise.  First time on Cunard, so it will be interesting to compare the two cruise lines.

• Like 1

I meant to add that we love children, so don’t mind cruising with littlies around.  We love Oceania’s superior cuisine, and looking forward very much to trying QG on Cunard.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

That’s us in a nutshell.  We prefer once a year or even every two years, in a spacious, well-appointed suite.  We choose Oceania more  often than not, for the same reasons you nominate.  This year is unusual:  a 14 day Oceania on Sirena then after some time in Cornwall and Somerset, we fly to Barcelona to board Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth, sailing home to Sydney on its repositioning cruise.  First time on Cunard, so it will be interesting to compare the two cruise lines.

Oooh, I will be interested if you wouldn't mind reporting on what you think of Cunard.  We have thought about doing what you are doing with the repo cruise, perhaps next year.  Maybe going on it rather than returning.  It's not horribly different from a business class airfare at the moment.