Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Learned a long time ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game.  As long as the rules to cruise are what they are, you're relegated to land based vacations.  There are many great all inclusives out there, particularly on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Your other option of course is to cross over the line in the sand and get the jab so you would be able to cruise, but we both know you're too stubborn to do that.

Really? It's amazing how you jump to a conclusion without knowing me.

FYI - I had my first Pfizer jab in March 2021 and the second shot 3 weeks later.  Since then I have had 2 boosters.  My objections to what is currently going on with protocols has absolutely nothing to do with being vaccinated.  

• Like 13

4 hours ago, mek said:

Really? It's amazing how you jump to a conclusion without knowing me.

FYI - I had my first Pfizer jab in March 2021 and the second shot 3 weeks later.  Since then I have had 2 boosters.  My objections to what is currently going on with protocols has absolutely nothing to do with being vaccinated.  

Glad you were unselfish and got jabbed and boosted.  If having to get tested and possibly wearing a mask is too much for you, that's your decision.

I cruised for 14 days last month and the only time I had to wear a mask was in the terminal.  Mask wearing on board was optional. Big difference from our cruises in January and February when masks were required on board at times.  

Restrictions are loosening up. Masks are now optional when flying.  I personally hate wearing them and the only time I wear them at home is at the Dr's.  But, having to wear them in the terminal is a small price to pay in order to cruise.  Obviously it, or another protocol, is what is holding you back from cruising.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, Anton said:

I had some t-shirts made when this all started to careen out of control in early 2020.  This is what they look like.  I have worn them on cruises since then.  1839566506_ScreenShot2022-05-15at11_15_26AM.thumb.png.0d9d7dfa8d3e5492fc0d93d0b4cdd900.png

That is AWESOME!!!

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 10:17 AM, cruise1957 said:

I have springtime allergies, I am so tired of saying no I don't have covid I have allergies! My nose is never not stuffy or runny, my throat is sore most of the time in spring. If I tested for that all the time there would be no tests for anyone else EVER.

yup I am right there with you and I live in PA.

And if one is in loud environments and talks loudly for several hours, you can get a sore throat too.

Ships are loud and I found my throat during recents trips was annoyed after a few hours in loud parts of ship trying to even talk.

Nope I would not stupidly volunteer on the questionaire or while on ship any mild symptoms unless I hard a real fever and was really feeling bad.  

• Like 2

On 5/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, BirdTravels said:

A sore throat usually indicates an infection. Best not spread that to your fellow passenger. 

And requesting the test was the absolute correct thing to do. 

Not true at all. I have horrible allergies and frequently have sore throats from post-nasal drip.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Not true at all. I have horrible allergies and frequently have sore throats from post-nasal drip.

YUP me too.

I had this on the Wonder back in early May.  I waited until I got home tested right away and I was fine.

I was fine 2 days before the cruise and 2 days after.

One thing I now to, is carry a small container of salt to gargle with.  this helps.

A lot of the crew gargle daily with salt as well.  They are told this is good to do.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Glad you were unselfish and got jabbed and boosted.  If having to get tested and possibly wearing a mask is too much for you, that's your decision.

I cruised for 14 days last month and the only time I had to wear a mask was in the terminal.  Mask wearing on board was optional. Big difference from our cruises in January and February when masks were required on board at times.  

Restrictions are loosening up. Masks are now optional when flying.  I personally hate wearing them and the only time I wear them at home is at the Dr's.  But, having to wear them in the terminal is a small price to pay in order to cruise.  Obviously it, or another protocol, is what is holding you back from cruising.  

Like you, I accept the current protocols and have enjoyed cruising since the restart.  Still, I respect other people’s choices.  In addition to the testing and the now reduced masking, the potential of being quarantined in an oceanview cabin (especially if one cruises in nicer cabins or spends little time in cabin, perhaps even with minor child) might cause some to select other options now.   To each their own, especially if such  confinement might drive one batty.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Sorry, but I have to laugh at your continued assumptions concerning my motives.

Quite frankly being unselfish had nothing to do with me getting vaccinated. I believe in the vaccines and  my motives were purely selfish - I did it to protect myself, (and possibly a little unselfishness popped in because I also wanted to protect my husband.)

Apparently you haven't been following my posts because I have never said anything about masking.  While I do think pre cruise testing has become pointless, my biggest concern is being quarantined and not being allowed to stay in my cabin - with a balcony.  Yes, I'm very selfish when it comes to that and I'm not sure I want to risk the possibility of that happening.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, mek said:

Sorry, but I have to laugh at your continued assumptions concerning my motives.

Quite frankly being unselfish had nothing to do with me getting vaccinated. I believe in the vaccines and  my motives were purely selfish - I did it to protect myself, (and possibly a little unselfishness popped in because I also wanted to protect my husband.)

Apparently you haven't been following my posts because I have never said anything about masking.  While I do think pre cruise testing has become pointless, my biggest concern is being quarantined and not being allowed to stay in my cabin - with a balcony.  Yes, I'm very selfish when it comes to that and I'm not sure I want to risk the possibility of that happening.

I guess I mistakenly assumed that the protocol you were against was masking since that was the hill that many decided to plant their flag on. 

The quarantine possibility is so slim to me I would not even think about it.  I did 12 days in January with about 1100 passengers, did 14 days in February with 5000 passengers and 14 days in April with 2800 passengers.  40 days in total so far and another 40 days booked later this year.  Quarantine possibility not even a concern to me.

Edited by SNJCruisers

I am sometimes amused at how presumably affluent people (high-end cabin frequent D++ cruisers) are so afraid of their fellow cruisers, but don't say anything about the possibility of being exposed to the virus during port exposures, either by drivers, cashiers, servers, or just the locals on the street that they pass on by.

Let's just assume that the people on the islands are practicing top-notch safety protocols, while our fellow vacationing passengers are walking diseases waiting to infect everyone.

• Like 8

I guess we all have our comfort levels with risk.  Personally, I have no problems being around unvaxxed people, while there are many who still think it's best to avoid them.

Hopefully things will be better by October and the cruise lines might be more reasonable and let people remain in their cabins, if they are positive.

• Like 5

I have no issue being around unvaxxed or people who may be positive.  We cruise 5 times a year and are D+, but not sure how the pp came up with the logic that frequent cruisers are afraid.  Frequent cruisers are more likely to be on these boards and for a longer time but you can't draw any conclusions from it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

While I do think pre cruise testing has become pointless, my biggest concern is being quarantined and not being allowed to stay in my cabin - with a balcony.

You can avoid that by not being tested on board. You can self-isolate in your cabin if by some very small chance you happen to catch something.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 3:55 AM, rtanders said:

We thought we would be extra cautious and ask for a Covid test. The wife had a runny nose and I had a mild sore throat. The medic came to our room and gave us a PCR test which took an hour to get the result phone call from the doctor. Even though we tested negative we we told to isolate for 24 hours. We were very disappointed to learn that being extra cautious cheats one out of a day of cruising.  

Thank you for doing the right thing.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yup I am right there with you and I live in PA.

And if one is in loud environments and talks loudly for several hours, you can get a sore throat too.

Ships are loud and I found my throat during recents trips was annoyed after a few hours in loud parts of ship trying to even talk.

Nope I would not stupidly volunteer on the questionaire or while on ship any mild symptoms unless I hard a real fever and was really feeling bad.  

totally agree! 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You can avoid that by not being tested on board. You can self-isolate in your cabin if by some very small chance you happen to catch something.

I do plan do bring my own tests with me; however, I would have to feel really bad and/or have a temperature before I would self test.  I don't test if I have sniffles at home and probably wouldn't do it  on a cruise.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Two weeks ago, I was an exhibitor at a conference with 1200 attendees.  As is usual at these events, I talk constantly, and talk loudly over the crowd noise.  I take clients out in the evenings to loud restaurants and bars, and yell over the crowd.  And as usual, by the end of the week, my throat is dry and my voice is almost gone.  Of course being springtime, I am sniffling and coughing with allergies.  I have a condition that causes constant headaches.  No way am I going to answer any sort of "wellness questionnaire" that I have any of those symptoms.  It's not COVID - it's normal, non-infectious allergies and vocal problems.  And BTW, when I had COVID, I had no fever.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BND said:

I have no issue being around unvaxxed or people who may be positive.  We cruise 5 times a year and are D+, but not sure how the pp came up with the logic that frequent cruisers are afraid.  Frequent cruisers are more likely to be on these boards and for a longer time but you can't draw any conclusions from it.  

Agree. Did B4B last month and on one Leg 85 staying on, none wore a Mask. Shoot week they ended Masking requirement less then 1/3 Shore Workers had them on and under 10% passengers were wearing one during Cruise, was prob less then 5%. Nobody was avoiding Crowded Elevators, sitting close in Theaters or SL/DL's

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:19 PM, Blauelini said:

Unless dead, I'm not going to medical.

Did the departed sweat prior to departure? - Yes - It 's good!

Voyage, Voyage

Edited by kirtihk

14 hours ago, rudeney said:

Two weeks ago, I was an exhibitor at a conference with 1200 attendees.  As is usual at these events, I talk constantly, and talk loudly over the crowd noise.  I take clients out in the evenings to loud restaurants and bars, and yell over the crowd.  And as usual, by the end of the week, my throat is dry and my voice is almost gone.  Of course being springtime, I am sniffling and coughing with allergies.  I have a condition that causes constant headaches.  No way am I going to answer any sort of "wellness questionnaire" that I have any of those symptoms.  It's not COVID - it's normal, non-infectious allergies and vocal problems.  And BTW, when I had COVID, I had no fever.  

glad to hear a lot of others have this

I was on Oasis last week and had a hangover. I went looking for Ibuprofen in the shops and vending machines. There is none. I contacted my genie, who said I would need to book a consultation with a nurse. I assume this was all done deliberately to force you to get a covid test. I wasn't about to do that for a hangover, so I just got off the ship in Port Canaveral and got some at the bait and tackle shop.

I guess the lesson is, bring your own.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OllieS0806 said:

I was on Oasis last week and had a hangover. I went looking for Ibuprofen in the shops and vending machines. There is none. I contacted my genie, who said I would need to book a consultation with a nurse. I assume this was all done deliberately to force you to get a covid test. I wasn't about to do that for a hangover, so I just got off the ship in Port Canaveral and got some at the bait and tackle shop.

I guess the lesson is, bring your own.

Not just Ibuprofen.  Besides any meds you need bring a good supply of Imodium, Pepto, antihistamines, fever reducer, cough suppressant, throat lozenges, nasal spray, c19 tests and antivirals (if your Dr. thinks they would be a good idea since it might be more then 5 days between a positive test and seeing your Dr.)  Maybe repack used products back in your luggage to throw away after your cruise.

• Like 3