Bayonne and Oasis

7 minutes ago, Mkripke said:

Hello

We are heading out this weekend and I have heard that the port is a bit unorganized, can anyone let me know if they have seen improvements yet?

the port is very easy. drive in to the porter. drop off baggage. pull into parking ramp less than 300' . find a spot and get on board. hope you have fun

14 minutes ago, Mkripke said:

Hello

We are heading out this weekend and I have heard that the port is a bit unorganized, can anyone let me know if they have seen improvements yet?

What does unorganized mean.  I sailed Oasis in September and other than the new requirements due to the H&S protocols, it was normal.  Also, sailed Anthem on Easter and it was a bit overwhelming as I had a granddaughter that is not vaxxed and had to go thru some hoops before getting on board. There was a bottleneck in registration of unvaxxed for their required Covid tests.  We had to wait some 15 minutes in a waiting area for the results.

We had a 11:30 appointment and were grouped with those from my assigned time to the ones at 1PM. Even with the extra requirements we got on board at approximately 12:30PM and headed to 2x70 cafe for their delicious roast beef sandwiches.

Edited by nelblu

Some problems a couple weeks ago (1st and 2nd sailings) because they had to move Oasis out of the port and back in right before boarding which caused delays.  Definitely not as organized as Port Canaveral as there aren’t separate lines by boarding time. 

Sailed on Oasis in October and Anthem in April from Bayonne (they both use the same terminal as it is the only terminal for RCCL).  Was very organized in both experiences.  Drove up, dropped off our luggage, parked in the garage and got in line.  We arrived 20 minutes before our assigned time and were in line on time. 

The process was organized, but still a line process that takes you in turn.  In October the check-in to on-ship time was about 45 minutes.  In April it was about 30 minutes.  (With double the total booked capacity than October).  We also have cruised out of Port Everglades in December on Allure with a similar experience to our April Bayonne experience, if not a little faster.

The key is to arrive just before your scheduled time and you will move well in your queue.  Get there too early and you will just wait until your time for the line to be called. 

To @Jkaczanowskithe situation you experienced was likely due to the ship having to move in and out as you indicated and likely would not have occurred otherwise, at least based on our recent experiences.  I can see how that would certainly tend to back things up.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

52 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Some problems a couple weeks ago (1st and 2nd sailings) because they had to move Oasis out of the port and back in right before boarding which caused delays.  Definitely not as organized as Port Canaveral as there aren’t separate lines by boarding time. 

So, the ship on the 2nd sailing docked and let passengers off and then moved the ship in & out to let other passengers on.  Whatever happened, it's not disorganized but some mistake by someone.

We just got on Oasis. Thought everything at the port was incredibly organized. About a 25 minute cue to get to bag drop but I expect that with thousands of people checking in. Once we got the bags dropped off we were on the ship in 30 minutes. 

Edited by jpcello
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We sailed January and had no problems.   Maybe later in the day things back up, but I don’t know.

If you mean that as the day progresses it becomes more backed up, in our experience the answer would be no, as they follow the boarding times with each line set and manage that group before the next group is queued.  The lines move similarly all day long as a result.  We boarded Oasis at 2:00 in October and Anthem at 12:00 and the approximate time and process was the same with both.

• Like 1

Not always smooth.  We were on the March 27 cruise and, after parking the car, had to wait on a line to board that actually stretched all the way into the parking garage.  Part of the problem was people arriving before their assigned time.  It was a mess.

31 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Not always smooth.  We were on the March 27 cruise and, after parking the car, had to wait on a line to board that actually stretched all the way into the parking garage.  Part of the problem was people arriving before their assigned time.  It was a mess.

That happened with us in October, but it only affected those who arrived too early as they had to wait until their time.  Our boarding process and timing was not affected. 

That is why I mentioned previously to not arrive too early - those who do should be the only ones affected by having to wait.  At least with that cruise that is how it worked as they were not allowing anyone in line prior to their assigned boarding time.  Everyone waiting was in groups along the building or elsewhere but not in the active boarding line.

The best advice I can offer is Don't show up before your check in time.      Our check in time was 12:30/1:00 pm and we arrived just before 1 pm and walked right up to the front door (avoided standing in line since we knew our time had already been called) and we went right in and were onboard within 10 to 15 minutes.    

Too many people show up much earlier than the check in and this is why the bottlenecking and long lines start up.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if there is separate entrance line for junior suites and above that are supposed to get "priority boarding" We have never done this before with a room that qualified.

we just returned from oasis this Sunday and had a noon time sailing. we arrived at 11:30 and parked the car right away ,after dropping our bags ,which took 5 minutes and didn't even wait ten minutes .was on the ship right away. great cruise. I think it just depends on week and time you go

4 hours ago, Cruise_Couple said:

Does anyone know if there is separate entrance line for junior suites and above that are supposed to get "priority boarding"

The suite line should be to the right of the regular line.

8 hours ago, Mkripke said:

Hello

I was on Anthem out of Bayonne last month.  We had to wat 2 hours IN THE COLD outside in Bayonne just to check in, never mind going through security.

BTW HOWDY NEIGHBOR!

Edited by broadwaybaby123

12 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I was on Anthem out of Bayonne last month.  We had to wat 2 hours IN THE COLD outside in Bayonne just to check in, never mind going through security.

BTW HOWDY NEIGHBOR!

Was that 2 hrs after your check in time?

4 hours ago, Cruise_Couple said:

Does anyone know if there is separate entrance line for junior suites and above that are supposed to get "priority boarding" We have never done this before with a room that qualified.

Once you get in the door and thru security go to your far left and there is check in counter for suites and pinnacles.  Easy peasy.  Enjoy your cruise!

38 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

BTW HOWDY NEIGHBOR!

It was a CDC / cruise line restart protocol agreement that only a certain number of people could be inside the building at one time to go through the process of security and check in to board.  Unfortunately, as a result, being outdoors waiting in line to enter is intentional in order to comply with this.  The next check in time group has to wait outside while the previous group is completing this, which is another good reason to not show up early to your boarding time.   Not convenient in inclement weather.  You also are still required (by the port authority) to wear a mask while in the terminal.  

• Like 1