Vista propulsion problems

40 minutes ago, CarolSW said:

OY!

Not liking where this is going, says the lady who is on the final countdown to her June 4 cruise on this ship.

My son & his new wife are booked for this Saturday for their honeymoon trip. 

We are booked in early July. 

So I'm certainly hoping  that they can fix this issue without dry dock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is not the first rodeo for the Vista. Back in 2019, I believe, they had serious issues with the propulsion system, and they limped back into Galveston like a day or 2 late. That was a long time ago, and just recalling from memory. I hope they get the issue resolved.

We were on her last August, and experienced no issues at all. A most enjoyable cruise. The Vista is a beautiful ship, with lots of amenities. 

On my April 2 cruise, they'd already adjusted port times like this to accommodate propulsion issues.

An essential crew member never returning to the ship in Cozumel (and the ship leaving three hours late due to that), just tipped the dominoes and it seems like the Vista hasn't recovered.

• Like 1

All these Vista Class ships have had similar problems. Apparently, the work that gets done seems not to permanently solve the issue.  From what I've read, this is 'similar' to what she went through in 2019.  I suspect Horizon's problems were related.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K&RCurt said:

It is the Swedish Azipods not the Italian ship.

Not definite about that.  Article mentions that Carnival stated "engine difficulties" and given that Vista has only 5 engines (many have 6), and is configured with 3 small engines and 2 large engines, loss of a large generator could affect speed when the itinerary calls for top speed passages.  If it is an engine problem, then it would be a German, Danish, French, Indian, or Chinese problem.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not definite about that.  Article mentions that Carnival stated "engine difficulties" and given that Vista has only 5 engines (many have 6), and is configured with 3 small engines and 2 large engines, loss of a large generator could affect speed when the itinerary calls for top speed passages.  If it is an engine problem, then it would be a German, Danish, French, Indian, or Chinese problem.

That's the way I read it.  One of the five ain't pulling its load, and that's a relatively easy fix at the pier as long as you can get the repair parts staged.

Panorama had issues a few times returning. They really struggle on fighting against the current . I think the ships were made too big with an engine too small to handle the heavy weight in subpar conditions. 

I think the entire Vista line was designed like this. I feel like they're meant for calm waters only. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:41 PM, vwrestler171 said:

If I remember correctly, they had to dry dock Horizon end of 2021 into Jan 2022 for something similar.  I know Panorama had issues as well.  Something about the Vista class seems cursed.

The Vista class also has some of the lowest space-to-passenger ratings too.

5 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

That's the way I read it.  One of the five ain't pulling its load, and that's a relatively easy fix at the pier as long as you can get the repair parts staged.

The engine manufacturer does not make the spare parts for the engines.  They license the ability to build engines to companies in other areas of the world, and the license "fee" is paid by producing spare parts which are then "paid" to the manufacturer to sell to the client.  Not sure how, these days, the supply chain is working for engine parts, but it was fairly bad a year ago, probably worse now.  And a long lead time item like a crankshaft could put that engine out for 6 months or so.  So, as I've said elsewhere, the repairs can be done underway, and are done this way routinely, every engine getting a full tear-down overhaul every 2.5 years, its just a question of part availability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Which is why I said... "as long as you can get the repair parts staged"...  It's possible they've been working for the last eight-twelve weeks to source what they need, and are just now scheduling the down-time.

Since Mobile is losing a ship, we'd take Vista with the propulsion problems and other warts.  We could live with the tendered embarkation, since it might not fit in the channel or port. Also acceptable to us, the disclaimer that you might be floating at sea for a while, since we know the U.S. Coast Guard will air drop Spam and Pop Tarts.  All would be good in the neighborhood.😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well, this confirms my suspicions from my earlier thread. 

We’re scheduled to embark on tomorrow’s sailing and we got an email last night saying we had an itinerary change. They reversed the order of our ports so now everyone’s excursions & onboard activities are all screwed up and we will be in Cozumel on a day with FOUR ships instead of by ourselves. 

Expecting more changes to port times or the inevitable cancellation of Belize once onboard. I’ll report back here. Still excited to be going on a cruise, but this sure it frustrating… 

• Thanks 1