Explorer check-in. What the heck?

4 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We are in one of the 3 huge lines outside the port. Lines aren't moving much. No one is checking docs or appointment times. I've never seen anything like this. Last month we just walked on to Navigator at our appointment time. 

Is this the norm for Port of Miami Terminal G?

Yup, that way Cruises last month. Then a mad Rush when time to Board Shoulder to shoulder

Certainly can't argue your situation but it doesn't sound right. Maybe its a Miami thing?  I know that the only time (which was back in October) that we had any delay with the lines moving was the result of not having enough port authority security and 3rd party check in staff available in Bayonne.  Every other cruise since then - another out of Bayonne and one out of Port Everglades - was smooth and fast.

Hopefully this will improve soon for you.  Sounds like a unique issue that unfortunately is affecting you!  Enjoy your cruise - that enjoyment will be much longer and better than this short term frustration!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

In Port Canaveral, they had 3 likes, but they were according to appointment time. Moved very fast, super efficient. This was crazy.

Lines. 😁 ..

On board now. Windjammer was crazy packed. The rest of the ship doesn't feel as crowded. 

Looking forward to 8 wonderful days!

• Like 3

Hope you have a wonderful cruise 👍🏻

we will be on EX in 4 weeks for an 8 night Southern.

The app has no day 8 dining or 5:30 dining times in MDR for decks 4 & 5

Would you be able to confirm dining times for MDR and if you are using the App if all looks good for day 8

We are going Old School on this cruise and giving the MDR a guest appearance 😉

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Certainly can't argue your situation but it doesn't sound right. Maybe its a Miami thing?  I know that the only time (which was back in October) that we had any delay with the lines moving was the result of not having enough port authority security and 3rd party check in staff available in Bayonne.  Every other cruise since then - another out of Bayonne and one out of Port Everglades - was smooth and fast.

Hopefully this will improve soon for you.  Sounds like a unique issue that unfortunately is affecting you!  Enjoy your cruise - that enjoyment will be much longer and better than this short term frustration!

It's not just in Miami. I was on Anthem out of NJ in April and we had to wait over 2 hours in the cold outside the terminal in those lines.

6 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

It's not just in Miami. I was on Anthem out of NJ in April and we had to wait over 2 hours in the cold outside the terminal in those lines.

When?  We were on Anthem April 10 and dropped our luggage off at 12:10, parked the car and were in line at 12:30, and in our stateroom at 1:10.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We are in one of the 3 huge lines outside the port. Lines aren't moving much. No one is checking docs or appointment times. I've never seen anything like this. Last month we just walked on to Navigator at our appointment time. 

This is exactly how it was at the beginning of the month.  Waited 100 minutes from arrival to on board.

5 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Happened to me in March on either the Vision or the Jewel (one of them left from Pier G in Miami).  My porter told me which door to go to for disable entrance, but I don't need that.  When I saw a man walking sloooooowly with a cane, I stopped him and told him to go up to the other entrance.  The line was waaaay behind me, and I was waaaay away from the regular entrance.  I don't know how that man would have made it otherwise.

I did a B3B on Explorer, and two of the three I was on had HUGE delays in getting people off the ship mainly b/c of problems with Customs and Border Patrol.  The morning that was the worst, they didn't even clear the ship to start debarking passengers until just before 8am, and then the lines just CRAWLED along.  

When they finally let off the consecutive cruisers, we found out why the lines were so slow -- Terminal G doesn't have the facial recognition, and CBP had a grand total of TWO agents working that morning.  Yes, that's two whole agents for almost 3,000 passengers.... no wonder it was so slow!

The consecutive cruisers didn't get through customs and back onto the ship until just before noon that day, when they were supposed to be already boarding the first two batches of oncoming passengers.  That meant that the check-in area was full, the lines weren't moving, and the lines went out the door and down the sidewalk -- it was all kinds of messed up.

I really don't understand why they can't hook up a few tablets for the Facial Recognition System in Terminal G.... they have it down the block in Terminal A, and they have it retrofitted into the old Terminal 18 in Port Everglades, so why can't they do it in Terminal G?

That sounds very reasonable. Maybe if enough of us suggest a retro fit at Terminal G we can help make it a reality...at least before the temps are triple digits! While I understand lines in the cold, the lines in the heat of summer can be horrible too. 

7 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

And I walked straight through the door, through security (slight hold up because of idiots in front of me), ultra-fast check-in, sitting in chair - all within 15 minutes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

I did a B3B on Explorer, and two of the three I was on had HUGE delays in getting people off the ship mainly b/c of problems with Customs and Border Patrol.  The morning that was the worst, they didn't even clear the ship to start debarking passengers until just before 8am, and then the lines just CRAWLED along.  

When they finally let off the consecutive cruisers, we found out why the lines were so slow -- Terminal G doesn't have the facial recognition, and CBP had a grand total of TWO agents working that morning.  Yes, that's two whole agents for almost 3,000 passengers.... no wonder it was so slow!

The consecutive cruisers didn't get through customs and back onto the ship until just before noon that day, when they were supposed to be already boarding the first two batches of oncoming passengers.  That meant that the check-in area was full, the lines weren't moving, and the lines went out the door and down the sidewalk -- it was all kinds of messed up.

I really don't understand why they can't hook up a few tablets for the Facial Recognition System in Terminal G.... they have it down the block in Terminal A, and they have it retrofitted into the old Terminal 18 in Port Everglades, so why can't they do it in Terminal G?

Wow! That explains a lot. Thanks for the heads-up. This may change our debarkation plans... We usually get off early, often with self-assist. I'm wondering if waiting until the very last moment would be better. We drive to the port, and have no real reason to get on the road early.

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And I walked straight through the door, through security (slight hold up because of idiots in front of me), ultra-fast check-in, sitting in chair - all within 15 minutes.

Cheer Leaders get an express lane,  no waiting for anything branded with Royal. 🤣😉

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 11:46 AM, cruisin from florida said:

We are in one of the 3 huge lines outside the port. Lines aren't moving much.

Those of you who've had trouble boarding in Miami, what time did you arrive?  

Anything you can see that people could do to move things along?  

Is it connected to the checking-Covid tests?  

Just trying to put together a pattern of how to approach boarding efficiently.  Thanks. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Same for the Anthem TA (arrived at 12:15 pm).

The only backup I've encountered was Enchantment (Baltimore) in late March.  Arrived on time, quickly through security, but then a slow line for check-in (not in Suite or Pinn).

4 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

We usually get off early, often with self-assist. I'm wondering if waiting until the very last moment would be better. We drive to the port, and have no real reason to get on the road early.

We love self-disembarkation.  Well, that's not true -- we don't actually love anything about leaving the ship.  It's too early, it's too rushed, it's just icky. 

But we definitely prefer keeping our luggage and carrying it ourselves.  Even with my husband recovering from a serious illness, as long as the suitcases are on wheels, I can manage two.  And we don't pack heavy. 

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Those of you who've had trouble boarding in Miami, what time did you arrive?  

Anything you can see that people could do to move things along?  

Is it connected to the checking-Covid tests?  

Just trying to put together a pattern of how to approach boarding efficiently.  Thanks. 

Honestly, it's "luck of the draw".  For Terminal A, I walked right on at 11am.  For Terminal G, I was there by 10am because I just came down the street from Terminal A, and I was on the ship by 10:45 (no line outside at all).  The next week was the week they only had two CBP agents and B2B cruisers didn't get off and back on again until almost noon.  

It has nothing to do with checking documents, and everything to do with getting the first passengers off the ship so the second group of passengers can get on.

15 hours ago, sandy toes said:

That sounds very reasonable. Maybe if enough of us suggest a retro fit at Terminal G we can help make it a reality...at least before the temps are triple digits! While I understand lines in the cold, the lines in the heat of summer can be horrible too. 

I've heard that Terminal G is scheduled for renovations next year, so they probably are just waiting until then to put in Facial Recognition.  But they REALLY need to do it ASAP!