The Daily for Tuesday 05/31/2022

richwmn

Today is National Macaroon Day, Save Your Hearing Day, and World No Tobacco Day

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.--Lewis Carroll

Meal Suggestion for today - Masala dosa
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Basil Spritzer
Wine of the Day - Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot, WA
Destination of the Day - Kochi, Japan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Rotterdam   Destination Kristiansand, Norway
Zuiderdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/01

Barcelona, Spain

Oosterdam   08:00 -

Cartagena Spain, Murcia

Nieuw Statendam   09:00 - 18:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   08:30 - 18:30

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Eurodam   14:00 - 18:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Noordam   07:00 - 15:00

Skagway, Alaska

Koningsdam   07:00 - 20:00

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada

Zaandam   10:00 - 18:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0531World.thumb.png.ae7ccda4b143b2dec9da913075890c92.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 17

Good morning from a hot and humid Southern Ontario.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I like macaroons. 🙂  It's important to save your hearing.  I'd be happy with no tobacco but I think some others would disagree.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I think the drink would be good on a day like today.

I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 34

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'm not a big fan of macaroons but do enjoy them occasionally.  Saving hearing and being tobacco free are both great things to celebrate.  I love the Carroll quote but do not think I've been to Kochi.  I have no idea what the meal is.  My alternative is Garden Salad, Roast Turkey, and Apple Blossom A la Mode, as served on Adventure of the Seas May 30, 2019. 

dishes30.jpg

Today’s care list:

Malinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Buddy with continuing problems ad problematic bone scan
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine
Very close call for cunnorl DD
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
 Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
oceansaway17

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Pat
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
HAL4Now blood donation
Surgery set for dfish 1 June
Ancient Wanderer and Dh covid free and ready for new grandchild
1 Day for Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam June 1 to 13 + 6 days Venice) and now safely in Barcelona
an easy trip back to cabin for lindaler
Tana’s neighbors helping with the stairs
A new home for Terri’s wheelchair
lazey1 (Koningsdam to 6/4) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
kochleffel best wishes with onward plans (or are you still on the Jade)
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 15

Good morning everyone.  Thank you for the daily report.  Ugh, back to work today, where did the weekend go?  Happy macaroon day everyone.  It’s important to protect your hearing.  I don’t use tobacco so I’ll do my part today.  The meal suggestion sounds like it might be quite tasty.  I like the quote, press on.  Haven’t been to today’s port and looking forward to seeing the photos of it.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 31

Good afternoon.

It is currently 50°F and cloudy with rain expected.

Thanks to Rich and Roy for the daily and various lists.

I don't like or dislike macaroons but don't buy them.

Hearing is important and it is wise to protect it.

I smoked when I was young but stopped 45 years ago.

I will give the food and drink a miss today.

Best wishes for everyone who is unwell 

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 36

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good day on the golf course yesterday as I aced the second hole for my 6th career hole in one, of course it cost me a few bucks as I had to buy a round of drinks for the 15 other players in my Monday golf league.

Thank's for The Daily, stay well and hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 44

12 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Good day on the golf course yesterday as I aced the second hole for my 6th career hole in one, of course it cost me a few bucks as I had to buy a round of drinks for the 15 other players in my Monday golf league.

That is fantastic news you got a hole in one yesterday.

I only ever hit one hole in one when I was playing off 7 handicap but it is a great feeling and worth the expense of buying your playing buddies a drink.

Graham.

• Like 21

Good morning, everyone.

It is another beautiful morning here in northeastern Ohio.  Bright sunshiny skies will also bring us very warm temps today.  It is expected to be in the high 80s to low 90s.  Tomorrow will bring relief.  Thankfully, I have the shelter of my air conditioned home to escape the heat if it gets oppressive.  I loved the macaroons we used to get in Riquewihr, France, when my sister lived in Strasbourg.  They were really, really good.   I know how difficult it was for my dad who lost part of his hearing when he was in the Navy.  Hearing aids helped some, but he couldn't afford the really good ones.   He would avoid situations where he felt uneasy because he couldn't hear or follow conversations, which isolated him in later years.  When I would spend my week each month with him, I made a point of getting him out of the house everyday, even if it was to look at different walls than the ones at home. We'd go for coffee, ice cream, lunch, a drive, the mall.   He liked to sit in the mall and people watch.  

@GTVCRUISER Happy Birthday!

@Vict0riann's Pat

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.ed7b296b090b509ff48ca22b4a7244b4.jpg

@cunnorl Thank goodness your daughter was ok.   What a fright that must have been for you.

@Cruzin Terri Thank you for your generosity in passing on Eugene's chair to someone else in need.  You are what the world needs more of.  

Today's meal is interesting.  It is popular in South India and is a type of crepe. It is usually eaten at breakfast with a filling inside. Urad dal can be replaced with black lentils if you can't find urad dal.  If you have an Indian grocer nearby, I would try there.    https://recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/masala-dosa/rs54289752.cms

712695222_masaladosa.jpg.fd07a4d2a7b5613c4c7f9ab5d317e190.jpg

This recipe comes from the Times of India and uses onions.  https://recipes.timesofindia.com/us/recipes/onion-rava-masala-dosa/rs75598971.cms

1397141045_masaladosa2.thumb.jpg.096d564f87d8bcb8ed5d33aa73ede3ca.jpg

This recipe is for the potato sabzi filling.  You'll want to make the crepes ahead.  https://www.saveur.com/masala-dosa-recipe/

1791682641_masaladosa3.jpg.e9c5a18b17e856de7e9182293083d005.jpg

This next one claims to be the originator of masala dosa.   https://muthuhealthyrecipes.com/mysore-masala-dosa/

1462220819_masaladosa4.thumb.jpg.25dcbe1f5cfa6e62b3f6d9c81950b078.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and Daily family members struggling with a challenge in life.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 10

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That is fantastic news you got a hole in one yesterday.

I only ever hit one hole in one when I was playing off 7 handicap but it is a great feeling and worth the expense of buying your playing buddies a drink.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, after probably 5,000 rounds in my 62 years of playing golf, it's still a thrill.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Another lovely day here. An early visit to the Vet for Bind’s annual checkup. Then off to a Zumba class. 

Roy, thank you again for sharing your cruise with us & keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites. @dfish, Debbie, hoping all goes smoothly tomorrow. 

Someone sent me an email yesterday with a bunch of these one-liners. This one seems sadly appropriate these days. 

B4EF3F7D-9D18-4252-A1F1-7590FE81C059.jpeg.170dd83de1b863bc3e6383b241339b82.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot

All released vintages of this Merlot share very good ratings. And the price is so reasonable, it could become your “House Merlot”. Widely available with prices starting at $7.99!

Winemaker’s Notes

TASTING NOTES

This Merlot has a rich aromatic profile with notes of chocolate and dark cherries. The complex fruit flavors are followed by a smooth, velvety finish.

FOOD PAIRINGS

Pair this wine with blue cheese, duck, beef, veal and dark chocolate.

WINE ANALYSIS

Blend:
Merlot, and a small amount of other red varietals
Aging:
The wine aged predominately in both French and American oak barrels, 40% new, for approximately 17 months. A small percentage of the wine aged in stainless steel to retain freshness of fruit and varietal character.
Alcohol:
14.5%
F:
Fermented for 6-10 days on skins to extract optimum fruit and textural components.
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I do like macaroons but dont have them very often.  Protecting your hearing is so important. So many of our friends are now dealing with some level of hearing loss. I am not a smoker and never have been, which I think is unusual for my age group.

I thank all of you for your messages of concern and well wishes for my DD yesterday. Means a lot to me. She thankfully is well, but it scared the living day lites out of me. 

@MISTER 67Congratulations on your hole in one!  Never had one and doubt I ever will. Good for you!!

@dfish Will be thinking of you and sending strong messages of support tomorrow. We will pray for a good outcome and a speedy recovery.

Driving my SIL to the Orlando airport this AM.  She will be back in July for her sons 50th birthday. We spent last evening planning the menu and writing out invitations. It will be fun! All good.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Congratulations! What a thrill!

My only hole in one was on a mini golf course, and I know it was a thrill for me. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Happy Tuesday from a warm and humid Atlanta. @cat shepard I couldn't agree you with more, I said something similar to this statement last night to DH.

I grew up believing that Macaroons were little balls of coconut, until I tried Macaroons on a cruise, and got those sweet crunchy munchy morsels.   I just call them heaven.

77f9db60f583d71bb2088da803052fe3.jpg?nii=t

Back to work today, and I can honestly say that besides doing laundry. and making the bed, I did nothing, I repeat,  nothing for the last two days.  Well I fed myself, so I cooked...but it was two days of being a zombie.

Today I really move into working the night  shift.  I start at 2 this afternoon and work til 11 p.m..  I see coffee in my future.

199cba655bb1030bd5a377befba8bf81.jpg

I hope that i get to actually talk to people.  West coast calling gigs are the hardest, when you work and live on the east coast.    And I am not one to sleep late.  Before I go to work today, I get to drive over to Macy's and pay the bill (they no longer put an envelope in your bill  to mail your payment. ) When I complain they tell me to do it on line.  I tell them the problem with doing every thing on line, is two fold.  One, you just took away a job for someone to open mail, and another person to actually read it and apply it.  And two, if I don't have to come in the store, then I may never purchase anything  that they have to offer.  Because you can buy every thing on the internet.  And to prove the point, last month I was in line to pay the bill, and purchased a Gnome salt and pepper shaker set.  I'm sure I really needed that.... ( they are really cute, and they were marked down).  

@MISTER 67I think that if you get a hole in one, your fellow players should be buying you the drinks.

Have a glorious day hugs to you all.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

My brother is still hospitalized as he is still unable to swallow. He was able to swallow two ice chips and two spoonsful of pudding yesterday but could not swallow a third spoonful. The plan is to scope his throat today. The original plan was to release him to a rehab facility tomorrow but I am not sure if that will happen. Somehow it was lost in the past month's texts from my younger sister (we have a system of one point person) that both my brother and sister-in-law had contracted COVID at the start of all this! Both were fully vaccinated and boosted but he is terrible compromised with the Parkinson's.

I spoke with my sister yesterday. She unfortunately is very weak so the calls are just a few minutes in length. Enough that she knows that I am thinking of her.

Still torn about the timing of our trip to Europe and two cruises. We still have two months until final payment for the first one on the Oosterdam. We may cancel that and just do our Rotterdam Transatlantic. That will be celebrating HAL's 150th Anniversary and we would like to participate. In case we cancel both, yesterday I was home alone with Sam so spent the afternoon planning options. HAL's last two Transatlantic crossing both leave November 5. I worked up three MSC options that would coincide with them so that we could at least cruise some of the Adriatic/Mediterranean than just the Transatlantic ports. Last year I applied for the MSC Status Match and have been anxious to try them.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Tuesday from a warm and humid Atlanta. @cat shepard I couldn't agree you with more, I said something similar to this statement last night to DH.

I grew up believing that Macaroons were little balls of coconut, until I tried Macaroons on a cruise, and got those sweet crunchy munchy morsels.   I just call them heaven.

77f9db60f583d71bb2088da803052fe3.jpg?nii=t

Back to work today, and I can honestly say that besides doing laundry. and making the bed, I did nothing, I repeat,  nothing for the last two days.  Well I fed myself, so I cooked...but it was two days of being a zombie.

Today I really move into working the night  shift.  I start at 2 this afternoon and work til 11 p.m..  I see coffee in my future.

199cba655bb1030bd5a377befba8bf81.jpg

I hope that i get to actually talk to people.  West coast calling gigs are the hardest, when you work and live on the east coast.    And I am not one to sleep late.  Before I go to work today, I get to drive over to Macy's and pay the bill (they no longer put an envelope in your bill  to mail your payment. ) When I complain they tell me to do it on line.  I tell them the problem with doing every thing on line, is two fold.  One, you just took away a job for someone to open mail, and another person to actually read it and apply it.  And two, if I don't have to come in the store, then I may never purchase anything  that they have to offer.  Because you can buy every thing on the internet.  And to prove the point, last month I was in line to pay the bill, and purchased a Gnome salt and pepper shaker set.  I'm sure I really needed that.... ( they are really cute, and they were marked down).  

@MISTER 67I think that if you get a hole in one, your fellow players should be buying you the drinks.

Have a glorious day hugs to you all.

Yep, it is sort of a backwards tradition but at most of the golf clubs I have belonged to, there was a hole in one pool where most everyone threw in 20 dollars at the beginning of the golf season, there was usually around 3,500 dollars in the pool and at the end of the season the pool was divided by the number of hole in ones and 1 year I received 400 dollars and 300 a couple of years later, that made up for the bar tab.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Goood morning from a cloudy but not windy (for now) central Texas.  Today is the day the house gets cleaned.  I wish there was a machine that could do the cleaning, but until there is, I'm it.

I'm not a fan of macaroons, but will celebrate the other days.  Hearing aids help, but don't restore hearing to normal.

An interesting quote today.  We'll pass on the meal and think about the drink.  We've had the wine of the day and enjoyed it.  Columbia Crest produces some good wines at decent prices.

We have not been to today's port, maybe some day.

@dfish  Debbie, hope all goes well tomorrow and that your recovery is quick.

@Vict0riann  HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT.

@MISTER 67  Congratulations on the hole in one.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, glad you made it safely to Barcelona, and have a great cruise.  I know what you mean about changing planes in Heathrow.

@cat shepard  Ann, I like the one liner.

@rafinmd Roy, safe travels home.  Thank you for taking us along on your cruise.

@Heartgrove  I hope they find out why your brother can't swallow.

We had been looking at the New England-Canada cruises for June and nearly booked b2bs Friday.  Saturday, after looking at the new Covid cases and the number of cases on some ships, we decided to wait a little longer to book more cruises.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 5