Almost Live-Voyager, Barcelona-Southampton, June 6-23

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

asnaleah was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Well, we passed our Covid tests and are at the airport waiting to fly to Barcelona! So many of you have helped us with planning and pro tips, I decided to try to pass it forward by starting this post. WiFi permitting, I will post as I have time. This cruise is quite port intensive. We are very excited to see parts of Portugal as we have never been before. 

Edited by asnaleah
  • Like 9

• asnaleah changed the title to Almost Live-Voyager, Barcelona-Southampton, June 6-23
14 hours ago, mdunne48 said:

We board the Voyager on July 15th.  Looking forward to your almost live trip report. Safe travels and have a fantastic cruise.

what part of Illinois?

Chicago suburbs, north and west 

Very nice flight on American Airlines, nonstop Chicago-Barcelona. The nonstop was not available through Regent air, so we took the credit and booked our own, using points to upgrade to business class. We did use the hotel/transfer and I’m not sure I would do that again. The Regent representative was supposed to meet us at baggage claim, but we had to hunt for him. Then, he didn’t see our names on his list. Then, when my husband pointed to our names, he said we would have to wait for another couple. We had cleared customs, claimed our bag (so much for packing light lol) and got tired of waiting, so we got a taxi on our own. The hotel, Le Meridien, is lovely, and the staff has been superb, but the rooms are very tiny. Our TA had requested an upgrade and we have some Marriott status, but no upgrade. I think our suite on the ship is larger! 

We'll be staying at Le Meridian next month so any comments you have on the hotel would be welcome, especially the breakfast and trip to the port from the hotel ( cab cost).Your last stop. Bilbao, is one of our favorites. It is Basque country and fantastic pintxos ( tapas). Enjoy!

• Like 2

TS:

Just for clarification--you advised your husband found your names on Regent's list of passengers arriving at the Barcelona Airport; and awaiting transport to the hotel. 

This is surprising.  You booked your own air; were at Concierge status (thus the included (not-really "free) pre-cruise night at Le Meridian Hotel. 

In our Regent experience, arranging one's air segments (while keeping the pre-cruise hotel night) meant assuming responsibility for transportation from arrival airport to hotel; and, upon debarking the ship, transportation to airport for return home.  We still obtained "free" van transport from hotel to the ship on embarkation day..

Although, for convenience, (and depending on distance from hotel to Pier) we often let Regent get our bags from the hotel to ship, while we took a taxi.    

Did I miss something?  You might want to check this aspect out while onboard to verify whether you are in the "independent" traveler category reference debarkation day.  In the interim: I will check with my TA to determine if Regent has changed its policy on this aspect.     

Have a great voyage.  

GOARMY!

10 hours ago, GOARMY said:

TS:

Just for clarification--you advised your husband found your names on Regent's list of passengers arriving at the Barcelona Airport; and awaiting transport to the hotel. 

This is surprising.  You booked your own air; were at Concierge status (thus the included (not-really "free) pre-cruise night at Le Meridian Hotel. 

In our Regent experience, arranging one's air segments (while keeping the pre-cruise hotel night) meant assuming responsibility for transportation from arrival airport to hotel; and, upon debarking the ship, transportation to airport for return home.  We still obtained "free" van transport from hotel to the ship on embarkation day..

Although, for convenience, (and depending on distance from hotel to Pier) we often let Regent get our bags from the hotel to ship, while we took a taxi.    

Did I miss something?  You might want to check this aspect out while onboard to verify whether you are in the "independent" traveler category reference debarkation day.  In the interim: I will check with my TA to determine if Regent has changed its policy on this aspect.     

Have a great voyage.  

GOARMY!

The transfers are attached to the hotel stay, not the flight. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, asnaleah said:

The transfers are attached to the hotel stay, not the flight. 

Only the transfer from the hotel to port is attached to the hotel stay.

Transfer airport to hotel is attached to the air, and is not provided if you arrange your own air or take a deviation.

Here is my information from Regent. We have transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship. 

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS
  Hotel:
Phone:
Hotel Nights: Check-In: Check-Out:
LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA LA RAMBLA 111 BARCELONA, SPAIN
34 93 318 6200
2 04JUN2022 06JUN2022

GROUND TRANSFERS
 Date
04JUN2022 06JUN2022
Description
Motor coach service from airport to LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA
Motor coach service from LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA to SS VOYAGER
 Regent Seven Seas Cruises representatives will be stationed at the airport. These representatives will be identified with Regent Seven Seas Cruise signage and will meet guests at the exit from Customs or in the baggage claim area, depending on individual airport regulations. Should you be unable to locate the Regent Seven Seas Cruises representative, kindly wait by the exit doors from the Customs or baggage claim area. Our local representatives will be continuously checking these areas for guests listed in our manifests.
Specifics concerning your transfer from the hotel to the ship will be provided to you upon check-in at the hotel.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Here is my information from Regent. We have transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the ship. 

PRE-CRUISE HOTEL ARRANGEMENTS
  Hotel:
Phone:
Hotel Nights: Check-In: Check-Out:
LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA LA RAMBLA 111 BARCELONA, SPAIN
34 93 318 6200
2 04JUN2022 06JUN2022

GROUND TRANSFERS
 Date
04JUN2022 06JUN2022
Description
Motor coach service from airport to LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA
Motor coach service from LE MERIDIEN BARCELONA to SS VOYAGER
 Regent Seven Seas Cruises representatives will be stationed at the airport. These representatives will be identified with Regent Seven Seas Cruise signage and will meet guests at the exit from Customs or in the baggage claim area, depending on individual airport regulations. Should you be unable to locate the Regent Seven Seas Cruises representative, kindly wait by the exit doors from the Customs or baggage claim area. Our local representatives will be continuously checking these areas for guests listed in our manifests.
Specifics concerning your transfer from the hotel to the ship will be provided to you upon check-in at the hotel.

So if I am reading this correctly, you purchased an additional night at the hotel from Regent. If so, that is why you received transportation from the airport to the hotel. Correct?

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

In reference to transportation when you booked own air - on our cruise out of Miami in February, we used AmEx points for air. This cruise used credits from a cancellation the previous year. We were allowed to put those credits towards transportation from the airport, to the ship and back to the airport plus the hotel. We were in a F1 cabin. 

• Like 1

All:  

Reference my Post #10--Thanks for additional inputs and clarification.  IN this matter, that EXTRA hotel night is key.  So--no need to call my TA.   

Happy cruising to all. 

GOARMY!

On board! Transfer from the hotel to the pier was very smooth, timely, and efficient. There are a lot more checkpoints due to Covid requirements, but everything moved well. Plus or minus 30 minutes from the bus to the ship. Lunch was very nice. Either La Veranda or the Pool Grill, both with table service for drinks. I don’t like the self serve buffet, but there are hand washing stations conveniently located. I strongly suggest using them!

We are in a PH-C. Beautiful aft balcony with two big chairs, a nice sized table, and one lounge. The cabin itself is smaller than I’d hoped, and the storage is not great for 17 days on board. I will try to take and post photos, but this is not really my skill set. To compare, we most often sail on Celebrity in a Royal or Celebrity suite. Lots more space and storage on X. There is a notable vibration aft, but it doesn’t bother us - yet.

Our pre-selected bar set up did not happen, but was quickly remedied. The Vero water tastes fine, I will let you know if I get swollen ankles.

The bathroom is nicely appointed. Both Guerlain and L’Occitane products. Lovely towels and bed linens. 
That’s it for now. I will update as Wifi and time permit. So happy to be onboard!

• Like 2

Dinner last evening in Compass Rose. Very pretty room with beautiful china! The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. The service was good but rushed. We are trying Sette Mari tonight. 
We had a terrific tour today in Mallorca at Bodega Ribas, a winery in operation since the beginning of the 18th century. We had a tour, a tasting, and some tapas. Very nice coach, masks required on all public transport in Spain. In Palma we had a brief stop in the city center, saw the Cathedral and had a pleasant walk around the King’s gardens.

• Like 1

Very nice dinner at Sette Mari last evening. SO much food, so we decided to skip the buffet offerings and eat from the a la carte menu only. We shared a delicious risotto with asparagus. I had branzino and DH had the surf and turf, Sette Mari style - ribeye steak and prosciutto wrapped prawns. He enjoyed the prawns much more than the ribeye. The steak was cooked perfectly, it was just thin and maybe not the best cut. The service was a little sloppy, but pleasant. The family style antipasti served was very bread heavy. Next time, we will try the buffet for starters and save our carbs for pasta or risotto.

our tour in Cartagena today was a walking tour to an amazing market with fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, and olives. We stopped for a few highlights on the way with our delightful guide. It was okay, but I think we could have gone on our own with just a map and a page of highlights. I’m a little worried about our tour to Cordoba tomorrow - it’s supposed to be 101 degrees! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asnaleah said:

our tour in Cartagena today was a walking tour to an amazing market with fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, and olives.

Hi,

Do you remember the name of the market in Cartagena? We will be there next month and have planned a on our own tour and this might be suitable to get lunch from.