Can we bring small 5" fan?

Gma&Gpa

1 hour ago, Momma1980 said:

Last cruise, I saw a guy walk off the ship with a window sized box fan! 😂 So… I am sure a small one would be fine. 

:classic_ohmy: Wow. I wonder how he got away with that?

17 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Do you bring a non surge protected extension cord for fan then? 

Yes, but since we typically put on desk, an outlet is already there.  That being said, we always have extension cords (for any electronics) since outlets are limited.

On 6/18/2022 at 11:16 PM, Joe817 said:

:classic_ohmy: Wow. I wonder how he got away with that?

Fans aren't prohibited. I always carry a desk fan on, at least when we drive to the port. Flying is another matter, takes up too much space.

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Fans aren't prohibited. I always carry a desk fan on, at least when we drive to the port. Flying is another matter, takes up too much space.

Yup. They sure are allowed. But WINDOW SIZED BOX FANS are not! THAT was what my comment was about:

"Last cruise, I saw a guy walk off the ship with a window sized box fan!"

Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning

• Thanks 2

I've also seen several large box fans on our cruises.  I pack a desktop fan and a non-surge protector extension cord.  Would love to see photos/links of some of the others mentioned here.  I'm always on the lookout for maybe something a little smaller but with a LOT of power, for when mine dies one day.  I will leave other things behind so that I have room in my carry-on for my fan - even for our AK cruises!!

1 minute ago, LHARTWICK said:

I've also seen several large box fans on our cruises.  I pack a desktop fan and a non-surge protector extension cord.  Would love to see photos/links of some of the others mentioned here.  I'm always on the lookout for maybe something a little smaller but with a LOT of power, for when mine dies one day.  I will leave other things behind so that I have room in my carry-on for my fan - even for our AK cruises!!

Mine is not this brand but it looks very similar. Actually I bought mine at Aldi. It fits easily in my carry on bag. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Air-Circulator-Electric-Whole-Room-Table-Fan-Terracotta-HPF820FWM/876314832?athbdg=L1600

It's too big to fly with and I have not found a suitable fan for carrying on when flying. Generally when we fly we just ask the steward for a fan when we meet them on the first day.

3 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YU0W3CY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   Both battery or USB so I use a portable charger if there isn't a convenient UBB or outlet 

image.thumb.png.dc4609246bd010e33abbab59638ebd4e.png

I carry a small fan on every cruise. I've also been told twice I could not do so. Here is what I do as I'm at the "Get off my lawn" age of 63.  
The fan also has the UL sticker on the base, and I showed the private security company conducting the screening the first time I was told no. 

Print the Carnival policy and have it handy. We carry a 1/2" binder with our cruise documents, passport copies, vaccine card copies, boarding documents, pre-purchase item emails and the policy allowing HAM radios to be carried aboard. That stopped the questions here in Galveston on our most recent cruise. 

See you at sea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We sailed on the Legend in May.  We purchased a brand new box fan, slapped luggage tags on the box and checked it with the rest of our luggage.  The porters didn't bat an eye and the fan was delivered to our room with our luggage.  Not a word was said to us about it not being allowed.  We packed non-surge protected extension cords that allowed us to use the one plug in the room for multiple items.  I'm so glad we had it because our room was warm and stuff the whole week!!  Then on debarkation day, my husband carried it off with our other carry on stuff.  

Edited by eh24fan

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

Mine is not this brand but it looks very similar. Actually I bought mine at Aldi. It fits easily in my carry on bag. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Air-Circulator-Electric-Whole-Room-Table-Fan-Terracotta-HPF820FWM/876314832?athbdg=L1600

It's too big to fly with and I have not found a suitable fan for carrying on when flying. Generally when we fly we just ask the steward for a fan when we meet them on the first day.

This is the same type I have at home now - 2 of them.  Yes - too big for my carryon, but they are powerful for their size!  I think the ships' supplies of fans are very limited, so I won't chance it.  I've seen those that the ship supplies and they are large - would move some air!

To be on the safe side, you might want to pack it in your carry on. I’ve brought my small fan several times, but earlier this year it was confiscated from my checked luggage at the New Orleans port. Not sure why, but customer service said it would have been fine in my carry on. I guess it’s all up to who is doing the security screening of the checked luggage.