Formal nights

florence11

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

In past years, I've typically see a decrease in participating in dressing up on the 2nd formal night.

I always attributed it to people watching others not being in formal clothing & following their leads. 

This was before the Covid shutdown. 

Since the return, many choose a more relaxed dress code on all formal nights.

Or they already had formal photos taken... or they don't fit into their clothes anymore. ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, MissP22 said:

In past years, I've typically see a decrease in participating in dressing up on the 2nd formal night.

This was certainly the case on our 7 day cruise from Athens to Barcelona on Regal in June.

The second “formal” night was called Dress to Impress and was the night immediately after the first formal night.

Apart from the Cruise Director, who wore a flashy suit, everybody else seemed to revert to smart casual.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wichenford Wolf said:

Apart from the Cruise Director... everybody else seemed to revert to smart casual.

Which, since you are able to remark what everybody wore, means it was a success as, "Dress to Impress." An utterly meaningless phrase. Anyone can wear anything if it makes an impression. Not saying what anyone should or ought to wear, only that the phrase itself is a joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night was formal night.      
wore my very nice shorts and a nice button up.   No problem.      
I went to the Juneau dinning room and talked to head waiter the day before and he said no problem with shorts.  We have eased our formal dress policies to recommend.      
no one sees your shorts when sitting at a table.   
and had great conversation with both groups on either side of me.  

6CE4842D-6EF3-4DD6-ADC4-5987D50DFC44.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I went to the Juneau dinning room and talked to head waiter the day before and he said no problem with shorts.  We have eased our formal dress policies to recommend.      

Call it what you want. Still inappropriate. I expect the usual trolls to jump in any time. Always that group that lowers the bar to see what they can get away with. Love to see you try this on Oceania. Trust me, you won't get in. I really wonder if what you said is true. Personally, I don't believe it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Call it what you want. Still inappropriate. I expect the usual trolls to jump in any time. Always that group that lowers the bar to see what they can get away with. Love to see you try this on Oceania. Trust me, you won't get in. I really wonder if what you said is true. Personally, I don't believe it.

Personally I don’t care what you believe. 
Or your opinion.  your just one of the trolls.    
Ive been on many cruise lines and never worn pants.   
the op asked a question and I’m giving honest facts    I won’t be wearing pants on the next formal night either.    
you sir have a great day.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Inappropriate to your delicate sensibilities, perhaps. But clearly not inappropriate to the other 95% of the passengers. 

I expect you to troll this comment. It appears that only your idea of how a cruise should be is what matters. Everyone who has a different perspective than you is a "Troll" in your eyes.

And in case you haven't figured this out yet, this is a Princess forum, not Oceania. What Oceania does is of no concern to Princess, and the reverse is also true. Most of us don't care that you dine at high end restaurants like Capitol Grill or Morton's or that you like to cruise on an expensive cruise line like Oceania (or at least name-drop them to impress us). What we do care about is you calling some of us "slobs" or "slovenly" if we dress comfortably, and acceptable to Princess, instead of how you want us to.  

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oceania? Where in heaven's name did that come from and how is that even remotely relevant to the Princess cruise @Ptroxx is talking about? This is a PRINCESS BOARD. 

I'll bet shorts aren't allowed in Prince Albert Hall either but who in blazes cares???? Just muddying up the water, but then again, that's to be expected. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Inappropriate to your delicate sensibilities, perhaps. But clearly not inappropriate to the other 95% of the passengers. 

I expect you to troll this comment. It appears that only your idea of how a cruise should be is what matters. Everyone who has a different perspective than you is a "Troll" in your eyes.

And in case you haven't figured this out yet, this is a Princess forum, not Oceania. What Oceania does is of no concern to Princess, and the reverse is also true. Most of us don't care that you dine at high end restaurants like Capitol Grill or Morton's or that you like to cruise on an expensive cruise line like Oceania (or at least name-drop them to impress us). What we do care about is you calling some of us "slobs" or "slovenly" if we dress comfortably, and acceptable to Princess, instead of how you want us to.  

Thank you for saying what I really wanted to say.   
I got banned for 4 days for defending myself from him and all the posts were deleted.   So I was trying to be politically correct for CC mods this time.  
but he continues to attack me.   And calls me a liar.   
I am on the Discovery right now.  Beautiful weather in Ketchikan. And I’m not going to let a troll bring me down. That’s for sure.  

just trying to give to OP some useful information  about formal night.   On a princess cruise.     

00EBC19D-D124-418F-8F17-3B6EC9320466.jpeg

26B24947-5EBA-44C9-B4B5-4C01F176954E.jpeg

I really don't flippin care what others wear to dinner as long as they take a bath (really don't want foul body odor to interfere with my enjoyment of my meal)and aren't falling down drunk( again, I don't want a drunk someone either vomiting or falling into me while I am eating my meal and yes, that has happened to us).  Hubbs and I like to dress a little (coat and tie for hubbs, cocktail dress or sparkly top with dress pants for me), but that is our choice. It makes the meal seem a little more special IMHO.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

the op asked a question and I’m giving honest facts    I won’t be wearing pants on the next formal night either.    

Edited by Jopix

4 minutes ago, Jopix said:

It’s you’re.  

Really.   Lol.   That’s all ya got. Lol.  
was posting while walking auto correct is not your friend.    Lol. But thank you for pointing out my iPhones mistake.   
Im sure you’re just busting my hump lol.  

is that better. Posting from my balcony now lol 

7 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I really don't flippin care what others wear to dinner as long as they take a bath (really don't want foul body odor to interfere with my enjoyment of my meal)and aren't falling down drunk( again, I don't want a drunk someone either vomiting or falling into me while I am eating my meal and yes, that has happened to us).  Hubbs and I like to dress a little (coat and tie for hubbs, cocktail dress or sparkly top with dress pants for me), but that is our choice. It makes the meal seem a little more special IMHO.  

I love to see families dress up. I was having a nice conversation with a group last night and the guys were all in tuxes and younger girls were in what I’d call princess dresses.   And the very young girls kept calling them

princess.  It was too cute.    
I asked what’s the occasion.   They said nothing we like to dress up as a family.  
as dad said. I can’t wait to get out of this tux Lolol.  
so to each his own.   As long as your enjoying yourself.  
and not stinking out your neighbors. Lolol.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Thank you for saying what I really wanted to say.   
I got banned for 4 days for defending myself from him and all the posts were deleted.   So I was trying to be politically correct for CC mods this time.  
but he continues to attack me.   And calls me a liar.   
I am on the Discovery right now.  Beautiful weather in Ketchikan. And I’m not going to let a troll bring me down. That’s for sure.  

just trying to give to OP some useful information  about formal night.   On a princess cruise.     

00EBC19D-D124-418F-8F17-3B6EC9320466.jpeg

26B24947-5EBA-44C9-B4B5-4C01F176954E.jpeg

Deleted.  Replied to the wrong person

Edited by Cruise till you drop

14 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

trying to be politically correct by calling everyone a troll who disagrees ?

Very Troll-like if you ask me

For shame

Perhaps you might want to check out post #231 to see who is the one actually calling others trolls. "Always that group that lowers the bar to see what they can get away with" is another 'for shame' comment by that same poster. 

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

This has been our experience on 50 days of cruising this year on Princess.  SUGGESTED dress code is lax and almost anything goes.  However, many people still dress up but not what I would call Formal Attire.  Things have definitely changed on the 4 ships we were on and for the good I believe.  It was never enforced anyway and people who want to dress formal can always sail Cunard ships.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

@Ptroxx, be careful with use of the “T” word. Don’t want to see you get censured. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rbtan said:

Just another troll trying to tell others how to dress and act. continual failure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

It was never enforced anyway and people who want to dress formal can always sail Cunard ships.

True, but they can also sail on Princess.  IDC if guests want to dress formally every night for dinner.  I won't be joining in, mind you, but it's their cruise too and they are quite welcome to dress up as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rbtan said:

I believe it based upon the 14 nights we spent on the Discovery in April.  The only thing I was concerned about was the group of 20 something's with many of the guys wearing baseball caps in the specialty venue.

Dress codes have gone from required to recommended on Carnival, Royal, and NCL with a few exceptions.  Have seen it first hand on both Princess as well as Celebrity this year.

• Like 2