Ok i know this used to be a hot topic but....

matymil

Im not trying to be a smart a** i honestly dont remember the general conscientious on shorts in the MDR & steakhouse. Its been awhile since Ive gone on a cruise in the middle of the summer and my buddy has already told me that he does not want to wear long pants. This is his first cruise ever...i told him and i think it may be frowned upon. Of course im talking dress shorts not basketball shorts. We are doing the steakhouse on the first night as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, matymil said:

Thats kinda what i thought to thx. Yeah we are skipping elegant.  Thanks!

Dress shorts in the steakhouse are allowed on night one and is up to the maitre'D the rest of the week.  Dress shorts in the MDR are OK every night, even elegant nights.  Wear a collared golf shirt or even a Hawaiian shirt and you'll be fine.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Dress shorts in the steakhouse are allowed on night one and is up to the maitre'D the rest of the week.  Dress shorts in the MDR are OK every night, even elegant nights.  Wear a collared golf shirt or even a Hawaiian shirt and you'll be fine.

Awesome thank you

My husband wears nice shorts (like golf shorts) in the dining room every nice. He does wear slacks for formal night, but I think as long as their not gym shorts it’s fine. My son will be going on our next cruise and that’s what I’ll have him wear too. 

My husband got refused entry to the steakhouse for wearing nice dress type shorts. He was told long pants even jeans would be fine to change to.

Others have posted wearing shorts to the steakhouse no issues but suggested maybe it was because it was elegant night pants were required in the steakhouse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They will turn you away from the Steakhouse with shorts on, or it has been my experience on our past cruises. Twice on Horizon last year and once this year, we saw them ask several  people to change into pants in order to be seated. They also remind you when leaving a message about your reservation “shorts are not allowed in the steakhouse ”. 
I could care less what others wear personally, but just passing along our experiences. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

My husband got refused entry to the steakhouse for wearing nice dress type shorts. He was told long pants even jeans would be fine to change to.

Others have posted wearing shorts to the steakhouse no issues but suggested maybe it was because it was elegant night pants were required in the steakhouse.

On board Panorama in April a friend reports they were refused entry wearing pressed linen dress shorts. A hostess with an attitude spoke condescendingly to them and refused to refund their pre-paid meals. They then complained about her to the front desk and rather than a refund they were admitted dressed as is. It's wishy-washy on Carnival when it comes to enforcement with most things. 

• Like 2

We just got off the Breeze, we noticed the elegant night dress code was not enforced in the anytime dining room- cannot speak to the set-time. There were ball caps, cowboy hats, jeans, and shorts.  But with that said most people followed the dress code.

11 hours ago, matymil said:

Im not trying to be a smart a** i honestly dont remember the general conscientious on shorts in the MDR & steakhouse. Its been awhile since Ive gone on a cruise in the middle of the summer and my buddy has already told me that he does not want to wear long pants. This is his first cruise ever...i told him and i think it may be frowned upon. Of course im talking dress shorts not basketball shorts. We are doing the steakhouse on the first night as well.

The steak house the first evening does not have a dress code. A nice shirt and dress shorts will be acceptable. Reason being. Many have not had there luggage delivered yet.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

To many men today have no sense of class or style.  You would think that wearing long pants in an elegant dining setting is as painful and having wisdom teeth pulled.  Come to think of it, that may be the problem, no wisdom.  I mean, come on, how difficult is it to change into long pants before dining?  Surely you wash up before you go to dinner, so changing pants shouldn’t be an issue.

My pet peeve though is wearing a hat while dining.  Class and style have lost to lazy and uncouth.

Can't change into pants if your luggage has not been delivered.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen shorts in the MDR at dinner, except on women & children. On the first night, they're more lenient so I wouldn't be surprised if some men were in shorts. On a few cruises I've had to wear what I travelled in (gym clothes & sneakers) because the suitcases hadn't arrived. Lots of other cruisers are dressed down too so I didn't feel out of place.

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

To many men today have no sense of class or style.  You would think that wearing long pants in an elegant dining setting is as painful and having wisdom teeth pulled.  Come to think of it, that may be the problem, no wisdom.  I mean, come on, how difficult is it to change into long pants before dining?  Surely you wash up before you go to dinner, so changing pants shouldn’t be an issue.

My pet peeve though is wearing a hat while dining.  Class and style have lost to lazy and uncouth.

Some people really push it, especially on the short cruises. I was on Liberty recently & witnessed the hostesses turn away multiple people in swimwear on the first night. One family had Mom & the 2 little girls in coverups that were passable because they weren't sheer, but Dad & the teen son had no shirts on! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

We just got off the Breeze, we noticed the elegant night dress code was not enforced in the anytime dining room- cannot speak to the set-time. There were ball caps, cowboy hats, jeans, and shorts.  But with that said most people followed the dress code.

That was our experience on the Breeze.  The worst offender was a guy with cargo shorts and a log tee shirt on elegant night.  It did not bother me in the least.

7 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

On board Panorama in April a friend reports they were refused entry wearing pressed linen dress shorts. A hostess with an attitude spoke condescendingly to them and refused to refund their pre-paid meals. They then complained about her to the front desk and rather than a refund they were admitted dressed as is. It's wishy-washy on Carnival when it comes to enforcement with most things. 

Yeah we were on Panorama when it happened, the hostess genuinely apologized and sat me while husband changed. Saw a few others turned away another day so decided going forward will just dress according to the so called rule🙄

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

To many men today also throw their options around like people care to hear them. 

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:56 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's NOT accurate.  Dress shorts in the MDR on Elegant Night are a dress code violation.  Whether it's enforced is another thing. As others have repeatedly said on these threads, standard fare for Elegant for men is khakis and a button down (think business causal) as a minimum threshold.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

That's NOT accurate.  Dress shorts in the MDR on Elegant Night are a dress code violation.  Whether it's enforced is another thing. As others have repeatedly said on these threads, standard fare for Elegant for men is khakis and a button down (think business causal) as a minimum threshold.

Bingo !! That's exactly what happened to me when we (my wife and I and my sister) were on the Dream on a 7 day cruise back in 2019. As we were dressing, my wife literally begged me to wear my dress shorts and collared dress shirt (we knew it was elegant night, but didn't know IF it was being enforced) I told my wife, 'well, knowing my luck it will be,so I'll just come back and slip on my khakis and come back' As we approached the lady at the outside counter of the YTD resturant she was VERY sorry but NO shorts were being allowed in because it was 'elegant' night. Ismiled at my wife, told her to go ahead and get a table and I'd be back shortly. Took me about 20 minuets but we learned that while some are lucky enough to get in the MDR on that night ya never know.  We've even seen shorts in the steakhouse, and I know they COULD refuse them service due to a dress code, but it wasn't being enforced. As the old saying goes, " Ya pays your money, ya takes ya chances'. You never know.

MAC

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 12:37 AM, matymil said:

Thats kinda what i thought to thx. Yeah we are skipping elegant.  Thanks!

Go to elegant night if you want the food! You paid your cruisefare and if someone is offended, they weren’t raised right. There’s a lot of stuff on the scale of being inconsiderate to others and this doesn’t even register. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jsglow said:

Have sailed on over 20 cruises on Carnival on every class of ship currently available and some that are in ship heaven.  I speak from experience with my own two eyes that men can wear dress shorts on elegant night in the MDR.  Shorts in the steakhouse is usually only allowed on night one because of the luggage factor.  Rules on Carnival's website mean nothing, it's whether they are enforced or not.  I've seen substantially worse violations in the MDR on elegant night besides men in a pair of Izod shorts and a collared golf shirt.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lilchuckie said:

Go to elegant night if you want the food! You paid your cruisefare and if someone is offended, they weren’t raised right. There’s a lot of stuff on the scale of being inconsiderate to others and this doesn’t even register. 

It's cool, thanks though. I'm not really a big fan of elegant night to begin with. I'll go to the MDR the other nights 

7 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Have sailed on over 20 cruises on Carnival on every class of ship currently available and some that are in ship heaven.  I speak from experience with my own two eyes that men can wear dress shorts on elegant night in the MDR.  Shorts in the steakhouse is usually only allowed on night one because of the luggage factor.  Rules on Carnival's website mean nothing, it's whether they are enforced or not.  I've seen substantially worse violations in the MDR on elegant night besides men in a pair of Izod shorts and a collared golf shirt.

Susan, we've ALL seen it.  I'm simply saying it's NOT policy and a diner could very certainly be turned away thereby giving the OP accurate info.  Nothing more, nothing less. Have a nice day.

• Like 1