Alaska cruise this Saturday - excursions mostly sold out?!? advice please - self-planned/third party adventures in Alaska?

I'm a first time cruise goer and yes I waited until today Sunday to start looking at excursions for the cruise that is departing in 6 days.  I know I'm very last minute and please don't make me feel worse reminding me as such.

That said - I am very eager to maximize the shore days and I am also looking to be as physically active as possible - rigorous hikes, etc, for a nature lover who is in pretty good shape.  Sadly, the only things left on the NCL excursion list are whale watching boats (endless varieties of the same boring thing) and mediocre low-energy walks etc.  For the Sitka stop, there is literally nothing, zero items listed, not even the lame ones.  I called and she told me everything was sold out and tough luck I should have planned ahead.  Not a great feeling ahead of a vacation that is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime.

SO....I'm thinking it will be best for me to just plan my own excursions.  I really don't need the company of others, anyway.  🙂.   Does anyone have experience hiring non-NCL tour operators, or just planning hikes and outings yourself, during any of the Alaska shore days?   All advice welcome, and thank you!!!!

At all the ports in Alaska, there will be booths for 3rd party excursions of all kinds. If you prefer ship excursions, check on board. There are cancellations, and I think they hold some reservations for on board purchases.

• Like 4

Go to the Alaska forum and read past trip reports to get an idea of what people did at each port. There will be DIY options.   

Most towns have a web site to promote local tourism.  Google the town's name with ' Visitor Information' and youll find lots of useful info, even Visitor Guides and maps to download.

ie for Sitka     https://visitsitka.org/things-to-do

Ketchikan   https://www.experienceketchikan.com/

Borrow an Alaska travel book from the library to read up on each port.

Also, tripadvisor is a far better site for land activities for people who want active things to do in port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newbiecruiser2022 said:

I'm a first time cruise goer and yes I waited until today Sunday to start looking at excursions for the cruise that is departing in 6 days.  I know I'm very last minute and please don't make me feel worse reminding me as such.

That said - I am very eager to maximize the shore days and I am also looking to be as physically active as possible - rigorous hikes, etc, for a nature lover who is in pretty good shape.  Sadly, the only things left on the NCL excursion list are whale watching boats (endless varieties of the same boring thing) and mediocre low-energy walks etc.  For the Sitka stop, there is literally nothing, zero items listed, not even the lame ones.  I called and she told me everything was sold out and tough luck I should have planned ahead.  Not a great feeling ahead of a vacation that is supposed to be a trip of a lifetime.

SO....I'm thinking it will be best for me to just plan my own excursions.  I really don't need the company of others, anyway.  🙂.   Does anyone have experience hiring non-NCL tour operators, or just planning hikes and outings yourself, during any of the Alaska shore days?   All advice welcome, and thank you!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic

The some of the ports that the Bliss calls at have a few independent operators. Most are booking sightseeing tours (not hikes), so you should try and find something and book in advance. You are in mostly rural ports so there are really not any taxis or ubers if you think you're going to venture out on your own. Public buses, yeah, in some ports. 

If you saw a shore excursion on the NCL site that you wanted, google and see if there is an independent operator doing the same in your port on the day of your visit. 

The scarcity of tours (and selling out) is basically because the operators have not been able to get seasonal workers to operate the tours. So even stuff in port is very limited.

There is very little at Icy Strait Point. You can take the gondola up to the top of the mountain ($49), and there is a trail that you can walk at the summit. Also a trail from the dock over to the main area. 

Remember, all aboard is 30 minutes before the ship's departure. If you are late, the ship will leave you behind. Like in Juneau and Ketchikan, you have to be back on the ship by 1:00 pm/12:45 pm. And that it is forecast to rain on your port days.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Sitka is very easy to do on your own. Here is a link to all the info. Follow the links for more info and skip the parts that cover ship info. Watch time for all aboard because that is on you. After the totems watch the river water for eagles and salmon. What other stops? 

Sitka Self Walking Tour... - Alaska - Cruise Critic Community

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR
  • Like 2

If Ketchikan is one of the stops try to get on the crab boat tour. Check book your own then figure out how to get there from Ward Cove. It is pricey but you will never see bald eagles like it again. 

Trip Report w/Pics HAL Alaska June 19-26, 2022 Seattle Roundtrip Westerdam - Page 4 - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

Start with post #67. Be advised they were not at Ward Cove. 

sightcrr. 

• Like 2

If you want to be physically active- I recommend booking tour(s) with Ketchikan kayak company. I took a kayaking tour with them last year and it was fantastic. I know they also have a bike excursion and depending on timing you may be able to do both.

For Juneau I would probably go to the Mendenhall glacier and go hiking there. If you look on independent websites you may be able to find guided hikes or canoe/kayak trips. I had a hard time with availability last year, and wasn’t booking a week out.

ISP doesn’t have a ton of outside tours at it, it is a port specifically developed for the cruise lines and not a town, so their isn’t a ton there. I did whale watching there and then took a walk. You can look for excursions in Hoonah, Alaska. That is the nearest town and some companies would pick you up to take you on excursions. 

• Like 2

There are not as many independent sellers waiting on the docks or in towns selling tours this year.  It’s not the same as pre-Covid.

You can put your name on shore excursion waiting lists at the shore excursion desk on board.  We have had success with this more often than not when needed.

in Skagway, check out Dyea Dave. In Juneau check out Jayleen’s.

On our last Alaskan cruise with NCL B2B in May we did half NCL excursions and half on our own.  Shore excursions aren’t the key to having a fabulous cruise.

Best wishes for a wonderful experience in Alaska!

• Like 1

I enjoy the whale watching and wildlife quests, but that’s lame me. 😉

One of the first things you’ll see in ports are companies selling private tours. I’m sure you’ll find ones that interest you.

For Juneau, check out the Mt Roberts Skytram and hike a trail. Look up trails that might interest you.

For Ketchikan checkout private kayaking companies and maybe get a reservation in advance. 

If you’re in Skagway, the national park offices will be able to recommend day hikes of varying intensity. 

As others have noted be back on board at the “all onboard” time. Or people will be watching you take a vigorous sprint to the ship. All aboard is absolutely no more than 30 minutes prior to departure time.

hope you enjoy your cruise. It’ll be lovely either way. 

Edited by Jason82
  • Like 1

Frequently NCL will hold back some space on their tours to accommodate those who prefer to book once they are on board.  They also sometimes add more buses when tours prove to be more popular than first planned.  Stop by the shore excursions desk as soon as they open on your first day on board to see if there is any available room on the tours that interest you.  As others have suggested, though, there are many independent tours available in most ports.  In some ports it can be a lot of fun just to stroll around town on your own, without booking a tour.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, lepidoptera said:

If you want to be physically active- I recommend booking tour(s) with Ketchikan kayak company. I took a kayaking tour with them last year and it was fantastic. I know they also have a bike excursion and depending on timing you may be able to do both.

We are just back from Alaska and did both the Bike and Hike and Kayak tours with Ketchikan Kayak Company and cannot recommend them highly enough. They picked us up right at Ward Cove, took us to a marina where we saw at least a dozen bald eagles (one flew about five feet over my head). From there we took the bike ride to Tongas National Forest where a guide took my husband and I (a few other couples rescheduled so we had a private tour!), through the forest and discussed a  lot of the history of the area, the foliage, etc., then for a walk along the shore at low tide where we saw at least a hundred sea stars. Rode the bike back to the marina where we then got on the kayaks. Rode out into the inlet and were supposed to do a tour along the shoreline but when we saw our first humpback we were done, everyone just wanted to watch them. Nothing like seeing them from a kayak - right there!! We spent a few hours paddling around, following the whales. After both tours they served up a snack of various beverages and some smoked salmon, dip, crackers, other munchies. The tours were excellent, guides were well informed and engaging.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

We are just back from Alaska and did both the Bike and Hike and Kayak tours with Ketchikan Kayak Company and cannot recommend them highly enough. They picked us up right at Ward Cove, took us to a marina where we saw at least a dozen bald eagles (one flew about five feet over my head). From there we took the bike ride to Tongas National Forest where a guide took my husband and I (a few other couples rescheduled so we had a private tour!), through the forest and discussed a  lot of the history of the area, the foliage, etc., then for a walk along the shore at low tide where we saw at least a hundred sea stars. Rode the bike back to the marina where we then got on the kayaks. Rode out into the inlet and were supposed to do a tour along the shoreline but when we saw our first humpback we were done, everyone just wanted to watch them. Nothing like seeing them from a kayak - right there!! We spent a few hours paddling around, following the whales. After both tours they served up a snack of various beverages and some smoked salmon, dip, crackers, other munchies. The tours were excellent, guides were well informed and engaging.

this info was particularly helpful thank you!   i just signed up for the kayaking with them.  very well reviewed on tripadvisor, i'm psyched!

• Like 1

We hiked the Deer mountain Trail in ketchikan   . It was awesome coming down and being able to see the town and cruise ship after hiking through the woods for a couple hours.   We walked to the trail head from the ship.     Very do able .  this time we are going to rent bikes and head north of town.  

We used Viator for several excursions in Alaska last month. They have a website and app. Offer pretty much the same as the cruise lines. There is another ShoreExcusionsgroup.com   we have used as well. 

That said there is more than 1 way to do things but it depends upon what you are looking for.

IN Ketchikan there was several places selling excursions right at the Pier. We booked a trolly tours for $45 per person that we really liked. My brother and sister took a cab to a trail they had read about and hiked up a mountain. 

In Juno there is a whole row of stands selling whale watch excursions. Glaciers tours etc. right next to the sky lift station at the main pier. If you are on the far pier the shuttle buses drop you off at the same place.  We used Alaskan Tales for our Whale watch. It was pretty good.

In Stika they had excursion stands at the building where the shuttle bus drops you off from the ship. 

Id you get off early you can probably find plenty of options at every port. The key is get off early.

Edited by volk904

We did a great hike in Skagway on our own that the NPS recommended called the Lower Dewey Trail to this beautiful glacier lake. Highly recommend that. And if you want, you could keep going to upper Dewey Lake, which was too much for me!

For Sitka, I second the walk out to the totems and then you can keep going all the way to the brewery. They have local taxis that can bring you back, unlike some of the other ports.  The Raptor Center is on the way to the brewery if you want to add a stop. Not super strenuous but beautiful. It was one of our favorite ports.  

I don't know what your itinerary is, but I saw 3rd party vendors outside all my stops last month (not on Norwegian).  In Juneau, our friends kayaked to see the glaciers while we took a shuttle bus and hiked.  Our original salmon hatchery/glacier viewing tour was canceled prior to boarding w/no notification, so we had to scramble (found out when we printed our travel summary).  You can also take the Mount Roberts tram on your own (right off the pier) and hike.  In Skagway, we took the train.  Ketchikan we just walked around on our own.  Have lots of fun!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 2:31 PM, newbiecruiser2022 said:

Alaska is pretty easy to do by yourself depending on the ports. In Juneau we rented a car and drove the the Mendenhall Glacier (where you can hike) and then drove over to Douglas Island for a pizza and then after dropping off the car went on the tramway.  The walk to and from the rental place gave us a bit of exercise and let us see the city. Depending on the port stops you don't really need the ship excursions. If it is the same as pre-covid even the Skagway railway ride can be booked online by yourself. Enjoy your trip.

If whale watching is of interest, we did one in Juneau with Steve Olmstead at Alaska Humpback Adventures.  Great person, and even better experience with him.  Reach out and see if he has space on your date.  If he doesn't he might suggest someone who does (I know his niece runs a similar boat).     

He was great, met us right at the pier, gave us a quick little tour of Juneau and then off to the whales.  We saw Orcas and humpbacks and much to Steve's dismay we had a humpback surface close enough that we got wet from its spray (I say to his dismay because the boats are supposed to stay some distance away from the whales.  Nothing Steve could d it about it as we were not even moving at the time)

Strongly recommend Steve. 

https://www.alaskahumpbackadventures.com/

• Like 1

In Juneau we took a cab up to Mendenhall glacier. We hiked the easy trail to the waterfall, it was beautiful. Took a cab back and wandered around town a bit.

In Skagway we took a 3rd party tour up the Klondike to Emerald Lake, made a few stops and saw some bear cubs with mama. 

It's probably too short notice, but in Juneau, we rented a car and visited Mendenhall Glacier.  I think a cab would work as well. It was amazing as was all of Alaska.  Have a great trip whatever you end up doing!