We are cruising again, hopefully, 10 July - 14 August

frantic36

Well our journey has started. 

And I am waiting in the airport lounge in Perth waiting to board our flight to Rome via Singapore. We have a 13.5 hour transit in Singapore because of changed flight times. I have booked the transit hotel in Terminal 1 so we can rest and freshen up before boarding our Rome flight.

We had a slight problem on arrival due to having to ticket our two flights separately due to our WA borders being closed for so long. I had spoken to Singapore yesterday and they assured me "no problem". It took over an hour to sort but I was very grateful the supervisor sorting it was so efficient and she was very grateful we had got there early to check in.

Looking forward to Rome and boarding Sojourn.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

Well our journey has started. 

And I am waiting in the airport lounge in Perth waiting to board our flight to Rome via Singapore. We have a 13.5 hour transit in Singapore because of changed flight times. I have booked the transit hotel in Terminal 1 so we can rest and freshen up before boarding our Rome flight.

We had a slight problem on arrival due to having to ticket our two flights separately due to our WA borders being closed for so long. I had spoken to Singapore yesterday and they assured me "no problem". It took over an hour to sort but I was very grateful the supervisor sorting it was so efficient and she was very grateful we had got there early to check in.

Looking forward to Rome and boarding Sojourn.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the kind thoughts. We made it to Singapore. The have redone the Business class KrisFlyer Lounge during Covid. It has a lot more light and you can actually see across to the tarmac to see the planes. It feels smaller in size though. I will take photos and post later.

I had to edit. My husband found a whole other section on the other side from when you come in. This section is where all the food stations are. You can get  noodle dishes a la minute as well as Western and other Asian food. It has a glimpse of the tarmac but not as expansive.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 2

This sounds like an epic trip - I imagine you are spending some time on shore  before or after the cruise?

It is quite a few years since I was in the Singapore 'Airlines Business Class Lounge, and at that time it was large and very full, so a bit of a disappointment compared with the flights.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, and we will look forward to reading about it if you have time to post now and again.

16 hours ago, lincslady said:

the Singapore 'Airlines Business Class Lounge, and at that time it was large

It was a very spacious area divided into sections so that it didn't seem to be so overwhelming.  It's a lovely space.

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

My husband found a whole other section on the other side from when you come in. This section is where all the food stations are. You can get  noodle dishes a la minute as well as Western and other Asian food. 

One does need to search for the food stations, but, it's worth the hunt!  I was very impressed with the choice of dishes offered and the attention that was given to keep the stations properly stocked.

• Like 1

So we arrived in Rome yesterday at 9am after travelling from home for ~31 hours. Thankfully we had booked a car service as we found they had an impromptu taxi strike for 48 hours. I'm so glad we didn't have to deal with that after travelling so long.

Villa Spalletti is delightful and thank you @Sunviking for recommending it. We have the non-alcoholic mini bar included and we were given 1 bottle of wine complimentary. The owners have their own vineyard but unfortunately we won't have time to visit. Evening drinks are also included and we enjoyed our Prosecco in the garden. IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.0e484e83c9d7b1f588a97c2b61c63b18.jpeg

As we arrived early and our room wasn't ready they held our bags while we went to explore Trajan's Market. An amazing place built in the BC era and the engineering was astounding as it was built into the side of the hill and had to support the weight against earth movement. It was the equivalent of our modern day shopping mall for merchants.

IMG_6019.thumb.jpeg.86a957d8d288aef809263135f0ce1d07.jpegIMG_6015.thumb.jpeg.1fd09615660bb29bc3d4a752bfd0d910.jpeg

Today we did a cooking class at Mazzano a town 40 minutes outside of Rome. It was great but it was over 38C today so very hot. I needed an afternoon nap when we returned. It was good food but pasta heavy, which we made,  so dinner was salad to start and fish for main.

IMG_6079.thumb.jpeg.6ca3addfd0b3a9ee90e1a5ba18c1db4f.jpegIMG_6080.thumb.jpeg.5a645fc08f5549ea868e21f8e122843f.jpeg

• Like 12

I’m glad to hear that you like the Villa Spalletti. I was hoping that it hadn’t changed since our visit there pre-Covid. I hope you have a marvelous trip and look forward to reading whatever you find time to post. Bon voyage!

Have a great trip. Got back from Italy last night and it’s been low 40s for over a week of the two we had there and 35 ish the rest (Amalfi Coast).  Think it’s cooling down slightly now you’ll be glad to hear!  Look forward to hearing of your travels.  

On 7/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, galeforce9 said:

Have a great trip. Got back from Italy last night and it’s been low 40s for over a week of the two we had there and 35 ish the rest (Amalfi Coast).  Think it’s cooling down slightly now you’ll be glad to hear!  Look forward to hearing of your travels.  

I think the weather gods missed the memo about the temperatures cooling, though I suppose 38-39C is better than low 40s 😊. Thankfully our hotel air-conditioning works very well. The only minor niggle is there is no way to make coffee in the room and my husband just asked for some from room service at 6am and was told No as too early...sigh.😔

The last couple of days we have filled with a food walking tour in the Testaccio neighbourhood. A visit to Dorai Pamphilj which is a Palace with a massive private collection of famous artists both framed and frescoes on the ceiling. It was like visiting the Vatican museum but without the crowds.IMG_6183.thumb.jpeg.b814e6b09afbba2ddb3039d6655bc433.jpegIMG_6187.thumb.jpeg.6550f9bd839ec3b7a9793fd6fc2f63da.jpegIMG_6191.thumb.jpeg.51cb13229bf8a10294bb9edb43716d42.jpegIMG_6192.thumb.jpeg.e259be01e38e5452ec57d69365ae45b7.jpeg

On a side note we went to a pharmacy our hotel had recommended and got our test done to board the ship. They emailed the result via a government website which was tricky to navigate so reception here sorted it out and printed out our negative certificates. We also completed our Seabourn health forms so we are good to board the ship tomorrow.

IMG_6185.jpeg

Just a small tip if you do visit. You can hire audio but not with the ticket purchase. It is from a small podium in the first room after you go through the turnstile. I didn't realise till halfway through and used some information from the website via my phone. I think the audio would have been useful as there is so much to see.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I think the weather gods missed the memo about the temperatures cooling, though I suppose 38-39C is better than low 40s 😊. Thankfully our hotel air-conditioning works very well. The only minor niggle is there is no way to make coffee in the room and my husband just asked for some from room service at 6am and was told No as too early...sigh.😔

The last couple of days we have filled with a food walking tour in the Testaccio neighbourhood. A visit to Dorai Pamphilj which is a Palace with a massive private collection of famous artists both framed and frescoes on the ceiling. It was like visiting the Vatican museum but without the crowds.IMG_6183.thumb.jpeg.b814e6b09afbba2ddb3039d6655bc433.jpegIMG_6187.thumb.jpeg.6550f9bd839ec3b7a9793fd6fc2f63da.jpegIMG_6191.thumb.jpeg.51cb13229bf8a10294bb9edb43716d42.jpegIMG_6192.thumb.jpeg.e259be01e38e5452ec57d69365ae45b7.jpeg

On a side note we went to a pharmacy our hotel had recommended and got our test done to board the ship. They emailed the result via a government website which was tricky to navigate so reception here sorted it out and printed out our negative certificates. We also completed our Seabourn health forms so we are good to board the ship tomorrow.

IMG_6185.jpeg

Just a small tip if you do visit. You can hire audio but not with the ticket purchase. It is from a small podium in the first room after you go through the turnstile. I didn't realise till halfway through and used some information from the website via my phone. I think the audio would have been useful as there is so much to see.

Unable to get coffee at 6AM in a 5 star hotel, neither with room service nor with an in-room machine??? Lame. At the prices they charge, you should be able to get it at 3 AM, if you would like it, even if it were instant coffee from a jar.  Or perhaps their guests are such gentlemen and ladies of leisure that none rise at 6AM.

It reminds me a bit of last year when DH wanted a "sandwich -- with lunchmeat,  any kind" , delivered to the suite at 10:30 AM on the 6 star Crystal Endeavor, and there was no sandwich of any kind on the 24 hour room service menu  (he was going to be leaving on a long hike and would be missing lunch).  It was our first and only "special request" the entire cruise. No way was it going to happen.  Or when I was at a Four Seasons and wanted a bath mat because the tub was very slippery on the surface and there was no grab bar,  and had already fallen twice.  You would think I requested a skinned cat.

Being unable to get coffee at 6AM is just another example of the modern trend toward rigidity in so many faux-luxury faux-5-star establishments.  You pay a lot  for nice lobby decor and artwork, rather than for truly customized service.  

If rising at 6AM, us addicts want COFFEE! 🙂

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Isklaar said:

Have a fabulous cruise Julie! After the past couple of years I'm sure embarkation day is rather more exciting even than before.

Have a wonderful time. 

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

The Sojourn awaits you at Civitavecchia -

https://myearthcam.com/darsenaromanacv

Thanks Isklaar and Fletcher. We are onboard and it feels good to be here. We boarded at 2.15 as we stopped to explore Sacro Busco (Monster Park) and have lunch in a small town where we both enjoyed the Pappardelle with wild boar. I'm not sure I can post photos as the internet is glacial at the moment.

Check-in and embarkation was very easy and quick, under 10 minutes.We met Nick the Hotel Manager and Hamish is Captain this cruise. It was nice to see them both again. Our room was clean and our luggage arrived quickly. Our stewardess brought us our welcome champagne about half an hour after we arrived in the room. There will be a sail away on deck soon. 

Still getting used to using Seabourn Source for information like menus but my husband took to it like a duck to water.

Julie

• Like 7

Pleased to hear that you are safely onboard and ready to enjoy all the good things Seabourn has to offer (hopefully!) 

Looking forward to your comments and to meeting you in the Club sometime after Aug.7. 
Dee and Bob

• Thanks 1