Hoping Chief is still around....

I won't bore with all the details, but 2022 has been rough medically for me. 

My title about the Chief is because I know he would know the answer. 😀

After the latest surgery/procedure, a few hours after I got home from the hospital I passed out in the bathroom and broke my ankle in five places. Cast is off, I started PT, and the PT has done something to the nerves in my foot and ankle. When I am in bed, horizontal, my foot feels like a blow torch is on it, and the burning doesn't stop until I get up. I have tried several types of creams, salves etc. and the only one that has helped even a little bit is a hemp/turmeric cream. I'm going to get a CBD cream and try that next. I am exhausted.

My question to anyone who would actually know the answer is, if I use a CBD cream at night, and it is absorbed in my skin,  would a drug dog stop at my feet?

I still have to do PT while we are gone. We fly to Baltimore August 4 ,and are on Enchantment August 11, I really need this cruise.

Thank you.

If you know Chief’s name on here try using the search function. Put in his name and then under the option “more options” you can select “members”. That part of the search function has always worked for me. Other than that I don’t know anything about CBD. Btw, that is a funny, but interesting question. Sorry about your pain.

Edited by ReneeFLL

13 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

I won't bore with all the details, but 2022 has been rough medically for me. 

My title about the Chief is because I know he would know the answer. 😀

After the latest surgery/procedure, a few hours after I got home from the hospital I passed out in the bathroom and broke my ankle in five places. Cast is off, I started PT, and the PT has done something to the nerves in my foot and ankle. When I am in bed, horizontal, my foot feels like a blow torch is on it, and the burning doesn't stop until I get up. I have tried several types of creams, salves etc. and the only one that has helped even a little bit is a hemp/turmeric cream. I'm going to get a CBD cream and try that next. I am exhausted.

My question to anyone who would actually know the answer is, if I use a CBD cream at night, and it is absorbed in my skin,  would a drug dog stop at my feet?

I still have to do PT while we are gone. We fly to Baltimore August 4 ,and are on Enchantment August 11, I really need this cruise.

Thank you.

CBD products are prohibited on the ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

If you google your question, drug dogs can smell CBD products.

PT probably didn't damage your nerves in your foot.  The injury and surgery probably did, but it could be temporary.  I dislocated my kneecap and broke my fibula (close to the ankle so it's considered an ankle break) and dislocated my ankle.   I had surgery to put a plate on the fibula.  I still have some numbness.  When the surgery is performed, nerves are moved aside and it takes a while for them to recover.  It'll be three years in Aug since my accident and I still have occasional nerve issues (tingling, electrical itchy feeling, hard to describe lol). It was near my knee where I stretched nerves and muscles ( no tears).  Now, it's occasionally in  my heel.  I could barely stand covers on my foot for a while, but now it doesn't bother me at all.  The "burning" is probably your nerves healing.  I never used anything, including pain killers for my injury.  I did PT for most of two years.  PT doesn't injure nerves.  People underestimate how long it takes to recover from breaks.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry, that sounds awful.  I assume you have tried elevation, or different sleeping positions.  Is it being horizontal that is the issue, or the position that the foot is in? After my ankle injury healed enough that I could leave it out of the night brace, I found that hanging my foot over the bottom of the mattress took stress off of it.   I hope you, your doctor, and your physical therapist can find some way to relieve this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If the CBD cream helps, take it and don’t worry one bit. 

So, you're telling the OP to risk being caught and kicked off the ship?  Nice.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Thank you for your response. I'm 81 years old so they they probably won't slap the hand cuffs on or anything.

They won’t even know (or care) about your cream. As far as the dogs go, dogs must be trained to detect a particular scent. THC (which is almost non existent in an analgesic cream) is a scent that almost no drug canines are trained to detect; it isn’t a substance that is worth the time or money to train a dog for. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SPacificbound said:

Thank you for your response. I'm 81 years old so they they probably won't slap the hand cuffs on or anything.

You are allowed to fly with Cbd cream in checked bag or carry on domestic flights as long as it has less than 0.3% THC.  If in your carry on cannot be more than 3 ounces.

• Like 1

There's always one or two who encourage others to break RCI's rules because it doesn't impact them one way or another.

OP,  be aware of the rules and don't assume anything.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You are allowed to fly with Cbd cream in checked bag or carry on domestic flights as long as it has less than 0.3% THC.  If in your carry on cannot be more than 3 ounces.

Yes I did check out TSA and what I would be carrying is fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

My title about the Chief is because I know he would know the answer.

If it’s who I think it is, he was posting on the Princess board last month. I can lookup his Id if needed. 

4 minutes ago, jk04 said:

If it’s who I think it is, he was posting on the Princess board last month. I can lookup his Id if needed. 

I am pretty sure who you are thinking of is who I was referring to.  

It's okay, I found my answer.  😀

• Like 1

Are cruise lines really still that ignorant about CBD vs actual marijuana, even after the airlines have already figured it out? Maybe someone should try baking it into a brownie and see what happens… or doesn’t happen lol. 

To the OP. While I doubt your cream will be detected (I wouldn't leave out in your cabin), just know that carrying it on a cruise ship is against the rules, and could cause legal issues in a different country if caught.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SPacificbound said:

That's why it's taking so long for you to heal.  You're 81.  Gonna take 5-8 months.  vs 3-4 for a 20 something.  Ice. Compression boot. Elevation.  CBD might help in combination with other things.  Try Spruce.  Good reviews from seniors like yourself. 300 mg so not overpowering.

And yes, drug dogs can detect CBD, but they must be highly trained for that specific scent. Unless the Coast Guard is specifically search for marijuana in large quantities, doubtful they'd supply a dog so trained.  Mostly looking for the bad stuff, cocaine, heroin, fentanyl, etc.

Adding,  there are no sniffer dogs on board ship.  No human is going to single you out because they smell CBD cream.  Some ports, not all, may have dogs but they're sniffing for other things and not everybody.

Edited by crewsweeper

31 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

That's why it's taking so long for you to heal.  You're 81.  Gonna take 5-8 months.  vs 3-4 for a 20 something.  Ice. Compression boot. Elevation.  CBD might help in combination with other things.  Try Spruce.  Good reviews from seniors like yourself. 300 mg so not overpowering.

And yes, drug dogs can detect CBD, but they must be highly trained for that specific scent. Unless the Coast Guard is specifically search for marijuana in large quantities, doubtful they'd supply a dog so trained.  Mostly looking for the bad stuff, cocaine, heroin, fentanyl, etc.

Adding,  there are no sniffer dogs on board ship.  No human is going to single you out because they smell CBD cream.  Some ports, not all, may have dogs but they're sniffing for other things and not everybody.

I have no idea what they are sniffing for in any one situation.  Could be explosives, could be drugs.  Also, no idea what drugs they are trained for.  But I have been sniffed by a dog either checking or getting off a Royal ship.   I can’t remember exactly which now, but I’m thinking it was disembarkation day.  Just an officer going around having the dog sniff seeming everyone around.  

I’ve also witnessed customs arrest passengers for weed.  It was a teenager. We knew because we heard the Dad yelling at her like his head was going to explode as they were taking them off to a different area.   No idea how they caught it, but I always assumed it was

drug sniffing dogs.  Surprised to hear none of them sniff for weed.  Maybe they used to and don’t anymore?

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

The ship does allow police and drug sniffing dogs on in Bermuda 

• Like 1