New Soda Cup Design

16 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I have a cupboard full of them.  I'll sell them to you.  🙂

Unfortunately, urs wont work on my upcoming cruise or I would take you up on it.  The new cheapo cups are so thin and sweat where the old ones were at least double walled and nice to use afterwards.  Seen them as low as $1 per on ebay BUT again won't work cause chip is from previous cruise.

31 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Unfortunately, urs wont work on my upcoming cruise or I would take you up on it.  The new cheapo cups are so thin and sweat where the old ones were at least double walled and nice to use afterwards.  Seen them as low as $1 per on ebay BUT again won't work cause chip is from previous cruise.

I have two of the original ones that were good for hot beverages too.  Those were nice - but again, small volume.   16 oz, so with full ice, maybe 8 ounces of liquid.  

Personally I don’t see the big deal and the old cups seemed to be a wasted expense. We never even open them and just leave them in the room or throw away. They gave us large stainless cups a couple weeks ago with the packages but still easier just to get a can or glass of whatever you want then don’t have to deal with carrying a cup around. Same with a yeti, why carry one around all day? Get a drink then just get another drink when you want another one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Project-College said:

They will work on a different cruise if they were never used on the cruise you received the cup on.  We have many cups at home in their original wrappers.  The RFID ship is not activated until it is used for the first time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

Personally I don’t see the big deal and the old cups seemed to be a wasted expense. We never even open them and just leave them in the room or throw away. They gave us large stainless cups a couple weeks ago with the packages but still easier just to get a can or glass of whatever you want then don’t have to deal with carrying a cup around. Same with a yeti, why carry one around all day? Get a drink then just get another drink when you want another one. 

You need the cups if you want to use the Freestyle machine because the only way to activate the machine is to use the RFID chip in/on the bottom of the cup.  If you only want the types of sodas/drinks you can get at the bar, you wouldn't need the cup, but at least in my family, we get the soda package mainly due to the Freestyle machine to get the flavored waters and seltzers that you can't get from the bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

If rcl are not issuing out the freestyle cups then they should say at the time of booking. I know my dau will be extremely disappointed if she dosnt get a cup in Aug when we cruise.

Did you even read the thread?

They ARE giving out cups to use with the Freestyle Coke machines, however they are no longer a double-walled cup, but rather a single-wall version.  

Reading comprehension is a lost skill, evidently.  

On the Mariner now. For the beverage package, it’s the “classic” soda cups that RC has used for many years. Availability probably depends on the ship. 

Have a good cruise, no matter the cup! Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 12:05 PM, chale63 said:

We’re carrying the cups they give you with the sticker and using them to get whatever we want but them dumping whatever we get into the Yetis. Drinks are staying a lot cooler that way. 

so you carry around 2 cups? Not me. I will just keep refilling the RFID cup. 

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

They ARE giving out cups to use with the Freestyle Coke machines, however they are no longer a double-walled cup, but rather a single-wall version.  S

We were just on the Quantum and got the "regular" double walled cups

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We were just on the Quantum and got the "regular" double walled cups

My comment was regarding the OP's post and the person's post I was quoting..... the quoted person has reading comprehension issues.

I've gotten both kinds of cups on different ships. 

1 hour ago, slyster said:

Does enchantment have freestyle?  If not, do they still give you a tumbler or a cup?  

Yes, Enchantment has Freestyle. Windjammer and Centrum Deck 6. If it’s working. It was hit or miss last week. Usually out of ice (which for me is not a big deal since I hate ice) but also frequently out of many syrups. I got a Cherry Coke that was neither cherry nor Coke. 

here are both cups for anyone who hasn’t cruised recently… left is from Brilliance in January, right is from last week on Enchantment 

Not a fan of wasted plastics but the sticker on the new cheaper cups falls off frequently, requiring finding another open /not busy bar for replacement 

D2B65843-BA5A-4970-9A7F-6091D4BE521C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steppy08 said:

Yes, Enchantment has Freestyle. Windjammer and Centrum Deck 6. If it’s working. It was hit or miss last week. Usually out of ice (which for me is not a big deal since I hate ice) but also frequently out of many syrups. I got a Cherry Coke that was neither cherry nor Coke. 

here are both cups for anyone who hasn’t cruised recently… left is from Brilliance in January, right is from last week on Enchantment 

Not a fan of wasted plastics but the sticker on the new cheaper cups falls off frequently, requiring finding another open /not busy bar for replacement 

D2B65843-BA5A-4970-9A7F-6091D4BE521C.jpeg

Thank you.  I’ll keep both locations in mind.  I hope they are working!

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

They will work on a different cruise if they were never used on the cruise you received the cup on.  We have many cups at home in their original wrappers.  The RFID ship is not activated until it is used for the first time.

I wonder if that is part of the reason that they stopped putting them in your cabin if you have a drink package.  You have to get one from a bar, and they would activate it the first time they fill it for you.  

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

Did you even read the thread?

They ARE giving out cups to use with the Freestyle Coke machines, however they are no longer a double-walled cup, but rather a single-wall version.  

Reading comprehension is a lost skill, evidently.  

I am sure people (esp children) expect the colourful, two walled design orginal free style cups not some average blue or orange cup. Yes you can use them on the machines however as stated in the thread the stickers fall off. 

It seems rudeness is still alive and well with you. Such an embarrassment.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, flamingos said:

I wonder if that is part of the reason that they stopped putting them in your cabin if you have a drink package. 

Doubt it - them not being in your cabin started a while ago.

5 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I am sure people (esp children) expect the colourful, two walled design orginal free style cups not some average blue or orange cup. Yes you can use them on the machines however as stated in the thread the stickers fall off. 

It seems rudeness is still alive and well with you. Such an embarrassment.

They were giving out the double walled cups with the screw on lids on the Mariner Cruise I took this past May..we never used them, I could see why a younger person would think they are pretty cool.