Alaska

babs135

Looking at an Alaska cruise for next year and I note that on some trips I have a choice of 3 ships, Grand, Majestic and Sapphire!!!  As we've not sailed on any of these before what, if any, is the difference between them and would you recommend one above the rest?  Not sure if it makes any difference but we are senior citizens who enjoy the company of people of all ages, wouldn't want a ship overrun with children (don't mind some) and don't mind the big ships (although my rock climbing days are long gone 😅).

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Looking at an Alaska cruise for next year and I note that on some trips I have a choice of 3 ships, Grand, Majestic and Sapphire!!!  As we've not sailed on any of these before what, if any, is the difference between them and would you recommend one above the rest?  Not sure if it makes any difference but we are senior citizens who enjoy the company of people of all ages, wouldn't want a ship overrun with children (don't mind some) and don't mind the big ships (although my rock climbing days are long gone 😅).

Thanks in advance

I have my first Alaskan cruise set for August. I can only say right now, my favorite ships are the royal class (Majestic) though I never been on that one. But one also must look at what itinerary you want. A smaller class ship might be able to go places a larger ship can't. 🙂

I would choose one of the older ships. Sapphire would be my choice. More venues, better viewing areas. While the Majestic is a nice ship it has the potential for 1,000 more passengers than the Sapphire with not very much additional public space. The Majestic was built for the Asian market and is somewhat different in design and venues than other Princess ships. All three ships have an indoor pool.

The Alaska itinerary attracts families. There will be youth on board when sailing during school summer school vacation period, June through August. No rock walls, bumper cars, surfing, ice rinks or anything like that on any Princess ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, skynight said:

I would choose one of the older ships. Sapphire would be my choice. More venues, better viewing areas. While the Majestic is a nice ship it has the potential for 1,000 more passengers than the Sapphire with not very much additional public space. The Majestic was built for the Asian market and is somewhat different in design and venues than other Princess ships. All three ships have an indoor pool.

The Alaska itinerary attracts families. There will be youth on board when sailing during school summer school vacation period, June through August. No rock walls, bumper cars, surfing, ice rinks or anything like that on any Princess ship.

One of my favorite things about the Sapphire is the wide promenade with the padded loungers.

• Like 5

The Grand is the oldest built in 1998, the Sapphire was built in 2004 and the Majestic in 2017. 

The Grand is also the smallest (1301 cabins with 17 decks), with the Sapphire only a little bigger (1339 cabins, 17 decks) and the Majestic has over 400 more cabins than either and 19 decks. 

I am also a senior and I'm not sure that matters, but I like the smaller ships. They seem more classic to me.  But, obviously they're not as pretty anymore.  Like me. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Royal class  ships sail outside the Inner Passage due to their size and turning capacity. Make sure what ever itinerary you chose includes Glacier Bay. This was our 4th trip to Alaska, the first 3 out of SFO, this one a great 14day rt from Vancouver. Awesome trip, we really enjoyed Whittier.

• Like 1

I have been on both the Royal and Grand on Alaskan cruises.  While I loved the Royal, the Grand was a better ship (IMO) due to its size.  Cruising the inside passage to/from Vancouver is spectacular!  The Grand has a covered swimming pool which is nice for an Alaskan cruise.

I would also look into a northbound/southbound trip rather than a RT cruise.  You get the opportunity to have more glacier viewing days (Glacier Bay, Hubbard, College Fjord) than a round trip.  Definitely pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay.

There will be children on an Alaskan cruise—very popular family/multigenerational cruises—but on Princess you will not feel overwhelmed by kids.

• Like 1

I should have also mentioned the smaller, older ships have full wrap-around promenades.  Wide, teak decking and old-style lounges.  This is, to me, one of the best places on a ship.  The newer, bigger ones have done away with most of this outside deck in favor of more interior "hot spots", places to meet and have drinks. 

The only fully open decks are on the top decks and is generally set up for a jogging track and similar activities.  It is also on these decks you will find the adults only areas.  These areas are very nice but but are restricted to those who pay extra for them.

• Like 2

We have an 11 day northbound cruise tour scheduled for the end of June next year on the Sapphire. I really didnt want one of the really big ships and this one looks like a good size. I booked a balcony room and was going to upgrade to a  mini but then discovered they were all on the 9th deck and the balconies are open with no overhang in case of rain, and people on decks 10 and 11 ( which we are on 11 ) can look right down on you while you're out on the balcony. I wasnt a fan of that so kept my regular balcony room. So excited and already starting to book excursions. 

2 hours ago, partybarbie said:

Having sailed on all three, I would choose the Majestic. Loved the Hollywood Conservatory pool area. It's completely covered and would be perfect for Alaska.  

The Hollywood Conservatory makes Majestic our favorite Princess ship, and we have sailed on a dozen in the fleet.

• Like 1

@babs135,  your opening post does not seem to have very many requirements.  It seems that you are an experienced cruiser and, while I'm sure you have preferences, it appears that you are able to adapt to most situations.

I have cruised on the Grand Princess (twice) to Alaska, the Royal Princess (sister ship to the Majestic Princess) also to Alaska and the Sapphire Princess to Hawaii.  I would not discourage you from cruising on any of them.  I would suggest that you make your decision first on the itinerary to try to visit the ports or view the glaciers that you most want to see.  Then, look at the cost--passage fare and transportation from/to your home.

As previous posters have stated the Grand Princess and the Sapphire Princess are very similar ships.   If in your decision-making process it comes down to those two ships, there is little to differentiate them other than the Sapphire Princess has a lounge called Skywalkers which the Grand Princess does not have.  I am looking forward to cruising on the Majestic Princess some day because it has some interesting sounding dining venues that are not available on the other two ships or, even, what I enjoyed on the Royal Princess  So, again, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

As has also been mentioned, Alaska cruises tend to attract families, and, so, you will see more children than on other itineraries.  Also, your targeted timeframe, late June/early July, will be while school summer vacations in the U.S. are in full swing,  That being said, the number of children on board would probably not be excessive,  If you can find a longer cruise--i.e., more than seven days--that might reduce the number of families on the ship.  Our last few Alaska cruises have been in April/May or September when U.S. schools are in session, and, so, we haven't seen many children.

16 hours ago, babs135 said:

Looking at an Alaska cruise for next year and I note that on some trips I have a choice of 3 ships, Grand, Majestic and Sapphire!!!

We were just on the Royal in June.  It's a nice ship, but not the best for Alaska.  The Sapphire and Grand have much better outside viewing areas.  We would prefer either of them, as they take the true Inside Passage. (In fact, we had booked Sapphire to Alaska this year.  Princess changed it to Royal.  We were also booked on Coral for June 2021 that was canceled.) But, if neither of them went to Glacier Bay, and Royal did, we would take the Royal.

Edited by KreinKrunker
  • Like 1

Alaska is so much more about what’s off ship rather than onboard. Any ship departing from Vancouver is going to have decent port times. The consideration and priority should be best viewing from the ship. The royal class ships have no unobstructed forward viewing. The best viewing is from the sanctuary although through glass and closed during glacier days unless you pay a fee. They are really poor ships due to lack of good viewing.

The older ships as Blondilu noted have wrap-around promenade decks which are perfect for Alaska.

We did a 14 night on the Royal Princess in May and of 12 Alaska trips, it was one of the worst ships for good viewing.  

• Like 3

I agree with the posters who would avoid the larger ships, like the Majestic,  that can’t sail the inside passage. After that, I would look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay if the itineraries you are considering are not identical 

A77CAC15-8F76-424E-8F33-E44D2C1C9530.jpeg

• Like 1

While I do not disagree with all of the posts above that say "Pick Glacier Bay!" our first Alaska cruise was on the Celebrity Solstice and it did the Endicott Arm route.  Since we had nothing to compare to we were sufficiently in awe of the surroundings.  Our second cruise we did Glacier Bay.  In some ways I really liked the Endicott Arm experience better in that you traverse a very narrow passage and can really get close to the shore and any wildlife that may happen along.  I'm certainly NOT saying that you should NOT do Glacier Bay...just that you may be very pleasantly surprised if you do the other itinerary.  That way you can justify your NEXT Alaska cruise by saying "But we *have* to do Glacier Bay now"!  Or vice versa.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While I do not disagree with all of the posts above that say "Pick Glacier Bay!" our first Alaska cruise was on the Celebrity Solstice and it did the Endicott Arm route.  Since we had nothing to compare to we were sufficiently in awe of the surroundings.  Our second cruise we did Glacier Bay.  In some ways I really liked the Endicott Arm experience better in that you traverse a very narrow passage and can really get close to the shore and any wildlife that may happen along.  I'm certainly NOT saying that you should NOT do Glacier Bay...just that you may be very pleasantly surprised if you do the other itinerary.  That way you can justify your NEXT Alaska cruise by saying "But we *have* to do Glacier Bay now"!  Or vice versa.

This is my philosophy.  I did a route that did not visit Glacier Bay, and I was still satisfied with Tracy Arm.  Alaska is beautiful and you can’t go wrong just getting to Alaska.  

003FA526-B3CB-484F-A3B6-BA041EBE6103.jpeg

6E2B1D06-AE6B-4331-A6AE-230BE3DAA038.jpeg

AA5C521E-40C9-4CF5-8265-0698DF88781D.jpeg

0DE95F6E-586C-45DF-8318-DB22765EC2D7.jpeg

• Like 2

Agree with the above.  Our favorite Alaska trip was 14 days, Northbound/Southbound Vancouver / Whittier (on Coral - the best Princess ship for Alaska).  Glacier Bay twice, plus a 31 glacier tour boat in Whittier that was only offered to b2b / round trips into Whittier.

But one to watch for is a round trip Seattle itinerary that goes to Endicott/Tracy Arm and has the excursion where you get off ship right onto the tour boat and go up close and personal with a lot of glaciers then return to the ship in Juneau.  One of a kind - we loved it.

Check out youtube videos of Majestic, particularly the Hollywood Conservatory and Pool. It's the only Princess ship I know of with that sort of forward covered viewing areas with lots of windows, cabanas, and loungers. To my mind, that's what makes it better than other Princess ships. I'd choose on itinerary, though, since on cruises to Endicott or Tracy Arm outside of Juneau, ships rarely get close enough to view an actual glacier. So I'd put priority on seeing Hubbard Glacier, which is an immense glacier, the only one actually increasing in size, so you have a good chance of good views and calving. My second choice would be Glacier Bay. The virtue of smaller ships is an outside promenade going around the ship, which is good for viewing wildlife and spotting whales close up. Smaller ships also make it feel less congested--I was on Discovery, the same size as Majestic, and 3400 people meant too many crowds and full theaters. I find I also prefer sailing out of Vancouver, not only because you get to sail under the Lion's Gate Bridge, but also because you get the calmer, more scenic inside passage going up to Alaska. Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Celebrity have r/t cruises out of Vancouver on smaller ships. 

• Like 2