Formal Nights

32 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

We haven't cruised RC in a long time. Have been doing Princess. Curious as to dress on RC for Formal Nights? How dressy is it?

Thanks

It's basically only a suggestion anymore.  

41 minutes ago, Turk1 said:

We haven't cruised RC in a long time. Have been doing Princess. Curious as to dress on RC for Formal Nights? How dressy is it?

Thanks

Dress as if you are on a cruise vacation, not a formal dinner party. Hardly any gowns and tuxes any more. Mostly resort causal (Hawaiian shirts and polo shirts). Some shorts. 

Formal night on the new Wonder of the Seas 

675F04C6-C0B1-4474-B244-7132319B1F5A.thumb.jpeg.a7d38bb36cc2b436b221fc77d86a5fdf.jpeg

On short Caribbean cruises they call it "Dress Your Best" or "Wear Your Best" or "Casual Chic" instead of Formal Night. That means a step up from your typical tropical dinner wear. They mean collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. You will see jackets, tuxedos/formal wear, sports coats, blazers and long evening gowns on longer cruises and more so on longer European and Asian cruises.

However, as some have posted, you'll see everything including jeans (without holes and tears) and flip flops and unless more than 75% of your body is not covered where it should be, you will not be turned away (i.e. thong bikinis, tank tops, hot pants, etc).  Happy Cruising!

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

You will see tuxes and evening gowns, and people still in shorts and t-shirts.  Dress however you're comfortable.

^^^^THIS^^^^

It's YOUR vacation, so dress how YOU want to (within reason, as in keep your private parts private!!!)!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

On short Caribbean cruises they call it "Dress Your Best" or "Wear Your Best" or "Casual Chic" instead of Formal Night. That means a step up from your typical tropical dinner wear. They mean collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. You will see jackets, tuxedos/formal wear, sports coats, blazers and long evening gowns on longer cruises and more so on longer European and Asian cruises.

However, as some have posted, you'll see everything including jeans (without holes and tears) and flip flops and unless more than 75% of your body is not covered where it should be, you will not be turned away (i.e. thong bikinis, tank tops, hot pants, etc).  Happy Cruising!

Agree, I've only seen higher number Dressed up Formal Nites on Repo, Holiday, or longer Sailings. Been about 4+ yrs when Table was near Main Dining Entrance watched multiple Passengers turned away for wearing Tank Top, short-shorts, and this on a Formal Nite. About 6 years since a Sign outside MD saying no Shorts(Formal Nite), and that was only on that 13nite/Repo leg of a B4B. Turned away now, not likely

• Like 1

My wife and I like to go all out on formal nights. On a 7 night cruise she will bring 2 separate evening gowns. I will bring 1 suit with an extra sports coat, and 2 different dress shirts, 1 tie for one night. Sports coat night I won't wear a tie. I think it's a lot of fun to dress up. No different than say, dressing up for a Broadway show or an Opera or something.

However, it is VERY laid back on RCI. Every cruise there's people in shorts. Doesn't bother me at all. We are mainly doing it for fun for ourselves. I would say "smart casual" is the vibe of Royal Caribbean on formal nights than anything. This typically just means nice pants with a nice shirt, often a sports coat... no suit, definitely no tux.

Having done a Cunard cruises, 1 Viking cruise,  let me just say that the formal nights are taken far more seriously on those Cruise ships where you will literally be turned away for wearing shorts. You won't on RC. It's just more a fun, laid back, family resort vibe, than a "5 star ultra rich" vibe. Tuxes are almost non-existent on RC.

I will say this, it seems "tacky" when people show up to formal nights in shorts, however. Just my opinion. Embrace the opportunity to have a good time, and "Smart Casual" seems to be what maybe 80% of people dress for on these cruises. I feel like smart casual is completely appropriate.

• Like 4

I am, personally,  ( my opinion only) saddened to see formal nights being diluted to "smart casual " and further to "wear what you want ". On our first cruise, 14 years ago , there were, at a guesstimate,  95% of MDR diners formally dressed.

I found that cruises out of the US tended to be far less formal (and it was out of Port Canaveral that I first heard " it's my vacation,  nobody's gonna tell me what to wear").

I'll still take and wear my tuxes in September. 

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I am, personally,  ( my opinion only) saddened to see formal nights being diluted to "smart casual " and further to "wear what you want ". On our first cruise, 14 years ago , there were, at a guesstimate,  95% of MDR diners formally dressed.

I found that cruises out of the US tended to be far less formal (and it was out of Port Canaveral that I first heard " it's my vacation,  nobody's gonna tell me what to wear").

I'll still take and wear my tuxes in September. 

curious that someone from the UK that embraced traditionality would select the only cruise line that doesn't offer an afternoon tea service.  That's entirely your choice, but I would think one tradition would go together with the other, in a sense. Not strictly, mind you. But related. Not saying there is anything wrong with your preference, rather am highlighting it's okay to HAVE a preference to deviate from "how its been done". Traditional, non-traditional; mix and match to your content. enjoy 

19 hours ago, Travel R said:

There is a dress code [see: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code]. It is up to you as to how much you want to follow or ignore it.

There is no dress code. Even the Royal Caribbean link says that they have "suggestions". True Formal Nights have now gone the way of the dinosaurs and are extinct. We're platinum members on Cunard and don't carry gowns and tuxes any longer, even in grill class. 

• Like 1

My family and I have just come off Anthem of the Seas and formal night was a bit disappointing for us.

There was no champagne reception in promenade ... we had drinks package so it wasnt for free champagne but I just like the wee bit special aspect of it but none of this 

Also there was hardly anyone really dressed up -  there were a few but definitely not as many as usual. there was nothing different on this formal night to any other night on this cruise in my opninon

On 7/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, geneticsguy said:

My wife and I like to go all out on formal nights. On a 7 night cruise she will bring 2 separate evening gowns. I will bring 1 suit with an extra sports coat, and 2 different dress shirts, 1 tie for one night. Sports coat night I won't wear a tie. I think it's a lot of fun to dress up. No different than say, dressing up for a Broadway show or an Opera or something.

However, it is VERY laid back on RCI. Every cruise there's people in shorts. Doesn't bother me at all. We are mainly doing it for fun for ourselves. I would say "smart casual" is the vibe of Royal Caribbean on formal nights than anything. This typically just means nice pants with a nice shirt, often a sports coat... no suit, definitely no tux.

Having done a Cunard cruises, 1 Viking cruise,  let me just say that the formal nights are taken far more seriously on those Cruise ships where you will literally be turned away for wearing shorts. You won't on RC. It's just more a fun, laid back, family resort vibe, than a "5 star ultra rich" vibe. Tuxes are almost non-existent on RC.

I will say this, it seems "tacky" when people show up to formal nights in shorts, however. Just my opinion. Embrace the opportunity to have a good time, and "Smart Casual" seems to be what maybe 80% of people dress for on these cruises. I feel like smart casual is completely appropriate.

Cunard is relaxing their true formal standards

• Like 1

Also just got off from Anthem and thought formal nights were ok to be formal. Ship seemed to be quite casual and we are the family like to dress up in formal night, so I was thinking maybe we would be over dressed but didn't feel that way. Many tuxes and gowns were seen, and not embarrassed to be either formal or casual. If you go down to deck 4 or 5, it is more formal, coming up to pool deck it is casual. 3 years ago we were in Independence for 2 weeks round trip from Southampton, ship's ambiance was more formal and crowd was more formal even though it was same departure port.

I took my first cruise twenty something years ago with my parents in Alaska, and still vividly remember how formal it was. Captain's champagne reception, it was like movie scene. I think it is becoming more more casual in general. Took same NCL hawaiian cruise ship 13 years ago and 4 years ago again, I found the ambiance has become much more casual. I am planning to take my children to Alaska cruise in a few years time, but expect I won't have the same formal nights!