Do not underestimate how awful it is to be in quarantine on board for 10 days....

busymumofthree

My wife tested positive on day 8 of our recent 10 day cruise on Celebrity Constellation. I chose to isolate with her and we went into the same isolation cabin (I tested positive the next day). Strange as it sounds, I think we were relatively lucky in the way that it worked out. We were in quarantine for 7 days, which was no fun but we made the best of it. Obviously the quarantine period overlapped with the ship's next cruise so we stayed on. We exited quarantine with 3 days remaining of the second cruise, so were able to enjoy those normally, which compensated for the days missed on the original cruise. 

Celebrity treated us very well throughout and after the quarantine period, making the whole experience as tolerable as it could have been.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

People keep mentioning the CDC. This sailing was in Europe though. I thought once cruises were in European waters they were under the jurisdiction of whatever countries they are starting or ending the cruise in so CDC rules would not apply? I assume though that the European Union had similar rules to the CDC.

• Like 3

Thank you for posting your experience. We leave in two days for Europe and board on August 1 for a 19 day b2b. We’re aware of the risks and feel positive about it, but your experience is very helpful to know. We appreciate the grace and honesty in your post. 

Edited by sunpsyche
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, canderson said:

What flavor of cabin / deck is Constellation currently using for quarantine?

It was deck 7. We were given a cabin with veranda, same as our original one.

A nice touch is that we were upgraded to Concierge for the remaining three days after emerging from quarantine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

People keep mentioning the CDC. This sailing was in Europe though. I thought once cruises were in European waters they were under the jurisdiction of whatever countries they are starting or ending the cruise in so CDC rules would not apply? I assume though that the European Union had similar rules to the CDC.

I mentioned the CDC originally because that's what the Captain referred to.  On the change over day (when we should have been disembarking at Rome) before new passengers got on, he came over the tannoy and said 'Good news - the CDC rules have changed and you now only need one negative test from day 7 to be released from quarantine' - I'm paraphrasing of course, but it was him who referred to the CDC rules.  And we were certainly operating under the CDC testing guidelines at that point (ie the day 5 and day 6 test approach....) - the Celebrity printed sheet of what would happen matched exactly what was on the CDC website. 

As the ship was sailing in and out of Italy, then for immigration purposes their rules would apply - we could have gone into state quarantine for example on day 5 but we could not freely disembark under our own steam.  Had we have been in and out of Greece, as an example, I'm pretty sure we could have done whatever we wanted!  The EU does not have consistent rules....  

I'm glad my story seems to have been helpful to so many of you and I appreciate all of the good wishes. 

• Like 4

Let’s be honest, most people are more fearful of quarantine than they are of actually catching the virus.

I sail in a couple of weeks and had COVID last week, yeah i would prefer not to have had it but then having it just before a cruise was probably the best outcome.

• Like 5

We just got off the Apex last Wednesday, a 10th anniversary celebration .  We were super careful the entire12 days.  We Received our second booster 3 weeks before our trip, Had room attendant come in only once a day and we cleaned down the room with wipes after she was finished.  We didn’t go to any shows, didn’t hang out in bars, always masked, walked stairs rather than taking elevators, canceled celebrity excursions and took shuttles when in ports.   Even though it was noted that masks were required on celebrity excursions and shuttles, 90% were unmasked on the shuttles into towns. 
This was our fifth cruise (4 Caribbean) since restart and we always felt safe until this one.  We arrived at our assigned boarding time and were seated in a packed large hall for over an hour with most people unmasked.  It was clear this cruise would be different than our other 4.  We enjoyed the cruise and thought we did everything we could to stay well.  We were particularly careful as we were traveling to Paris for a few days after the cruise and wanted to enjoy that part of the trip.  
The night we got off the ship my husband complained of cold symptoms and he took one of the Covid tests we brought with us.  He tested positive, I didn't.  2 days later I started feeling like a cold was coming on but still tested negative.  This morning I tested positive.   I’ve had colds worse than this but still don’t feel like going out and walking around the city.  
People have moved on from Covid and unless a more severe variant emerges, there’s no going back.  We all have to assess our own risk tolerance and make decisions accordingly.  
In retrospect, if we knew that most actions we experienced on our earlier cruises had been removed (e.g., self serve buffet, not enforced masking on excursions), we probably would have passed on this cruise.

Unfortunately, Covid is going to be with us for a long time so if one wants to cruise, s/he need to accept the inherent risks that go along with it.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, busymumofthree said:

I mentioned the CDC originally because that's what the Captain referred to.  On the change over day (when we should have been disembarking at Rome) before new passengers got on, he came over the tannoy and said 'Good news - the CDC rules have changed and you now only need one negative test from day 7 to be released from quarantine' - I'm paraphrasing of course, but it was him who referred to the CDC rules.  And we were certainly operating under the CDC testing guidelines at that point (ie the day 5 and day 6 test approach....) - the Celebrity printed sheet of what would happen matched exactly what was on the CDC website. 

As the ship was sailing in and out of Italy, then for immigration purposes their rules would apply - we could have gone into state quarantine for example on day 5 but we could not freely disembark under our own steam.  Had we have been in and out of Greece, as an example, I'm pretty sure we could have done whatever we wanted!  The EU does not have consistent rules....  

I'm glad my story seems to have been helpful to so many of you and I appreciate all of the good wishes. 

First, I join those in thanking you for sharing your story.

A statement, then a question- it really does seem odd to separate spouses, when the second one tests positive, perhaps if the second person insisted? I could understand if one person was notably more ill, or if the traveling partners were just friends or not closely related?

Question, do you have a feeling for how many partners eventually tested positive- you said a group of the survivors took to dining together?

42 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

First, I join those in thanking you for sharing your story.

A statement, then a question- it really does seem odd to separate spouses, when the second one tests positive, perhaps if the second person insisted? I could understand if one person was notably more ill, or if the traveling partners were just friends or not closely related?

Question, do you have a feeling for how many partners eventually tested positive- you said a group of the survivors took to dining together?

Thanks for the comments and questions - I don't know how common it was to be separated from partners - my sources were someone who came 'out' whilst their partner was still 'in', and one of our regular group of partners being tested who one day shouted down to me from the balcony of his isolation cabin (as I wandered up to wave at my husband) 'hello there! I'm in here now!' - his wife was about 6 or 8 cabins along (we had previously chatted together on the promenade as we were both 'visiting' and waving to  our partners).  However, there was one couple at least along that row of isolation cabins who were in together - so circumstances seemed to vary.

As for how many of the partners tested positive?  I can only say what I saw and of those I knew....  on my first day of testing (6pm, deck 15) I met only a couple of people 'ahead of me' - ie on their day 2 or 3.  All through, neither of those wives tested positive.  One chose to go home on disembarkation day, leaving her partner behind in isolation, the other stayed on to be with her husband until the same day as us (ie day 20 of the extended cruise)....  

On my second day of testing there were about 5 of us at the same time and that day no one I saw tested positive (others may have been tested later - the door was open until around 6.30 for testing).  The 3rd day, there were more new people and I reckon there were about 10 of us (plus some crew).  We were told that we could go straight after testing and that we would be called if we were positive - no call if negative.  Most of the group had decided that was not what we wanted so all hung around (by the open doors or very well spaced out from each other) to have the definite feedback of 'you're negative today'.  On that 3rd day, the tester came out and told 3 of our group that they were positive - 2 new people and one on the same day as me.  That pulled me up short - that is quite a high positive rate.  But of those I got chatty with, only 2 tested positive - both were men, if that is relevant? -  and the other 4 of us remained negative throughout.  And it is those 4 'covid wives' who formed our 'dinner club'.  None of us could account for why we were negative and our partners were positive but that's the $60m question I guess?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Question, do you have a feeling for how many partners eventually tested positive

I just got off the 7 day Summit yesterday. Because of my symptoms, I did a rapid in my cabin. I did not want to go to chic dinner, any dinner if it was Covid. Well, the darn thing was positive. We both went to medical cause I did not have a 2nd test for husband. We were both positive and isolated in our suite. We could have stayed on to the next cruise to isolate in our suite- but we disembarked yesterday. Celebrity got us a complimentary car service home. 

To the person who minimized the symptoms as being simply a cold. The ship Dr said most people are being affected with severe cold symptoms.not worsening.......Yes, I thought my allergies were kicking up at first..like a cold .I'm in pretty darn good health, exercised on the ship,  have avoided covid working as a nurse for all this time- thankfully had 3 full doses and a booster and it is not a simple cold for me. Pretty sure I'll recover in time fine, and stay out of the hospital-but the first 24 hours were pretty intense w high fevers- now as the ship Dr. said will happen- it is ebbing and flowing. I'm very grateful it happened towards the end of our cruise....husband is still feeling it too....

Bernadette

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was a very interesting read and lots of info to note. 

We self reported symptoms last September in the middle of a B2B on the Apex and did so as we both felt a bit funny at the beginning of switch over day… we were a little hesitant as we do generally feel a few effects of cold symptoms towards the middle/end of a cruise maybe from too much a/c and just general bugs around the ship but due to the current climate at the time we just felt obligated to do so as we wanted to be sure, we actually tested negative for 3 days running so was actually released from isolation from the doctor so it wasn’t as bad for sure and we were able to stay in our cabin which was nice as we had gotten upgraded to a suite for the second cruise so at least we had a bit more space etc. 

would we self report again for the same symptoms I’m not sure… I know we should but also knowing what we normally go through I think our plan of attack would be to take along some self tests do do ourselves and take it easy for a couple of days if tests are negative and just stay away from the crowds etc, we are pretty quiet people anyways and still use our masks everywhere there’s a crowd anyways. 

hopefully we get to enjoy our cruise without any issues but for sure it will be in the back of our minds the potential issues with travel at these times… We will continue to do what we can to stay safe and keep our fingers & toes crossed. 🤞🏻🍸😎

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, canderson said:

The upside was that he was at least placed in a veranda cabin.  That has not been the case on some Celebrity ships.  Access to the outside is certainly better for morale than a lousy porthole.

Thanks for your report.

I found that when I had Covid, I always felt better after getting some fresh air.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cangelmd said:

<snip> A statement, then a question- it really does seem odd to separate spouses, when the second one tests positive, perhaps if the second person insisted? I could understand if one person was notably more ill, or if the traveling partners were just friends or not closely related?<snip>

Faced with being quarantined in an Oceanview stateroom, I believe some couples were choosing separate staterooms. Thought process being, if both were in an Oceanview and one person was sleeping, the other was left sitting in a dark room. Even with a balcony, the non-sleeper would be limited in their possible activities while spouse/partner slept.

Also - potentially 10 days - locked in a room together - even the best of relationships might begin to show strain. 💕  💔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Faced with being quarantined in an Oceanview stateroom, I believe some couples were choosing separate staterooms. Thought process being, if both were in an Oceanview and one person was sleeping, the other was left sitting in a dark room. Even with a balcony, the non-sleeper would be limited in their possible activities while spouse/partner slept.

Also - potentially 10 days - locked in a room together - even the best of relationships might begin to show strain. 💕  💔

very interesting points

10 hours ago, Ronin23 said:

Let’s be honest, most people are more fearful of quarantine than they are of actually catching the virus.

I sail in a couple of weeks and had COVID last week, yeah i would prefer not to have had it but then having it just before a cruise was probably the best outcome.

I don't want to burst your bubble,  but the truth is that a history of a recent COVID infection doesn't mean  you can't catch the virus again.  A friend of mine just tested positive only six weeks after her first COVID infection, and she is double boosted.   Looks like is the new variant;  BA-5 evades immunity from previous infections, including Omicron, and vaccination. Hope you have a wonderful trip.  I believe that those of us that already had the virus, need to be more careful.  I caught it on the Edge and my husband didn't,  we were together all the time, I used a mask all the time, he didn't. Unlike those that say that everyone is going to get it, I believe that some people are never going to get it, do they have an innate immunity against the corona virus? We have tested our antibodies level (quantitative) and he always had better results.  But the truth is that  I have no idea...  I do know that we don't want to get this many times, is still too soon to know all the permanent damage that this virus could do on your body.

To the OP @busymumofthree Thanks for doing the  right thing. IMHO  some of the CDC's guidelines right now don't make too much sense. Still, I understand why many don't want to report their symptoms because they fear being sent to isolation.  What I don't get is why if they are sneezing and coughing is better to think that is allergies. If someone is planning not to inform the cruise line if they get sick, at least, have a plan based on science.  Bring many and I mean, many home tests, bring medicines (including Paxlovid ( if a friendly doctor is willing to give you a prescription), bring medical grade masks (N95, KN95) to use when you move from your room to other areas of the ship.  Get your food at the Oceanview Café and take the food to an outside area, where you can eat with your partner. Etc. Etc....Shouldn't be that hard

• Like 9

1 hour ago, MarKay525 said:

My husband tested negative, was offered his own cabin but opted to quarantine with me in an Infinite Veranda cabin on deck 6 quarantine floor on APEX. After 10 days we both then moved to another Infinite Veranda cabin for the last 2 days of the cruise.....and FREEDOM. While definitely a challenge we were still speaking to each other after so many days of togetherness. One thing that really helped was keeping active. I know it's not easy in a small space but I turned up the music on my phone and danced. My DH walked and walked and walked. During the 10 days he walked 48 miles according to his Fitbit and, surprisingly, the carpet showed no fuzz or ill effects. LOL....

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, drarill said:

I don't want to burst your bubble,  but the truth is that a history of a recent COVID infection doesn't mean  you can't catch the virus again.  A friend of mine just tested positive only six weeks after her first COVID infection, and she is double boosted.   Looks like is the new variant;  BA-5 evades immunity from previous infections, including Omicron, and vaccination. Hope you have a wonderful trip.  I believe that those of us that already had the virus, need to be more careful.  I caught it on the Edge and my husband didn't,  we were together all the time, I used a mask all the time, he didn't. Unlike those that say that everyone is going to get it, I believe that some people are never going to get it, do they have an innate immunity against the corona virus? We have tested our antibodies level (quantitative) and he always had better results.  But the truth is that  I have no idea...  I do know that we don't want to get this many times, is still too soon to know all the permanent damage that this virus could do on your body.

To the OP @busymumofthree Thanks for doing the  right thing. IMHO  some of the CDC's guidelines right now don't make too much sense. Still, I understand why many don't want to report their symptoms because they fear being sent to isolation.  What I don't get is why if they are sneezing and coughing is better to think that is allergies. If someone is planning not to inform the cruise line if they get sick, at least, have a plan based on science.  Bring many and I mean, many home tests, bring medicines (including Paxlovid ( if a friendly doctor is willing to give you a prescription), bring medical grade masks (N95, KN95) to use when you move from your room to other areas of the ship.  Get your food at the Oceanview Café and take the food to an outside area, where you can eat with your partner. Etc. Etc....Shouldn't be that hard

I totally agree, but understand that not all coughing represents the spread of Covid; however, one has to react as if it does.  Interestingly enough, there are also some studies using gut bacteria and Covid.  Maybe, it will become clear why some catch it and others don't, even though many couples are together for just about everything.  I was unmasked and in high school for two years, not to mention in the gym regularly.  Neither my DH, nor I have knowingly had Covid.  Is there a common denominator?  If so, I would love to know what it is...

15 hours ago, sunpsyche said:

Thank you for posting your experience. We leave in two days for Europe and board on August 1 for a 19 day b2b. We’re aware of the risks and feel positive about it, but your experience is very helpful to know. We appreciate the grace and honesty in your post. 

I can confirm that the Apex is still using Deck 3 ocean view cabins for quarantine. We are scheduled to join some friends on the Apex next week (Aug 1). They are on a B2B2B but one of them just tested positive and was sent packing to deck 3. The other person will be tested for the next 3 days. She has to mask around the ship during this time but no other restrictions. We are seriously considering canceling the cruise. Getting Covid and missing your vacation is bad enough, but being sent to a 250 sq foot room with no fresh air for up to 10 days would be unimaginable. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BratDet said:

I just got off the 7 day Summit yesterday. Because of my symptoms, I did a rapid in my cabin. I did not want to go to chic dinner, any dinner if it was Covid. Well, the darn thing was positive. We both went to medical cause I did not have a 2nd test for husband. We were both positive and isolated in our suite. We could have stayed on to the next cruise to isolate in our suite- but we disembarked yesterday. Celebrity got us a complimentary car service home. 

To the person who minimized the symptoms as being simply a cold. The ship Dr said most people are being affected with severe cold symptoms.not worsening.......Yes, I thought my allergies were kicking up at first..like a cold .I'm in pretty darn good health, exercised on the ship,  have avoided covid working as a nurse for all this time- thankfully had 3 full doses and a booster and it is not a simple cold for me. Pretty sure I'll recover in time fine, and stay out of the hospital-but the first 24 hours were pretty intense w high fevers- now as the ship Dr. said will happen- it is ebbing and flowing. I'm very grateful it happened towards the end of our cruise....husband is still feeling it too....

Bernadette

@BratDet Many of the prior postings state that they were moved to a different “isolation” cabin in a separate area of the ship, but you indicated that you were allowed to stay in your suite.  Did they give you that option or did you have to insist?

I wonder about taking the ship's game of "Let's Make a Deal" to a new level for those ships that are using OV cabins for quarantine.  For some, it might be worth doing - they may prefer to take the cash and be prepared to put it down on an even more expensive cabin for some future cruise.  Then again, others might be willing to pay to remain in better accommodations ... RS or OV.  Hmmm ...

Passenger tests positive.  Current cabin is far superior to whatever cabins are being used for isolation on the ship in question.  Creates the following potential scenario:

Passenger provides Celebrity with 2 options:

1) Let me stay in my nice cabin for my quarantine period and I won't accept the pro-rated refund for the number of days I'm in isolation

2) You put me in a cabin with no more than a porthole and I'll be sure to get every penny of the pro-rated fare for the number of days I'm in isolation.

At the moment, this business of being reimbursed for quarantine days is due to expire on 30 November anyway, leaving the passenger no leverage at all if protocols don't change.

• Like 2

I know the full covid policy expires the end of November but Celebrity has historically provided compensation for any days where you were forced to isolate.   When presenting to medical with noro they will also put you in isolation, pre-covid it was always in your own stateroom.  I believe the compensation was always FCC.

I would hope they would at least this part of the policy for any forced isolation for whatever reason.

I do think people should really examine their travel insurance strategy as these protection policies expire.  (No) Self insurance might sting in some of these situations.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

1) Let me stay in my nice cabin for my quarantine period and I won't accept the pro-rated refund for the number of days I'm in isolation

2) You put me in a cabin with no more than a porthole and I'll be sure to get every penny of the pro-rated fare for the number of days I'm in isolation.

These options exist currently. You don't need to involve Celebrity for Option 1.

• Like 1