Permanent Cutbacks on Carnival

JT1962

3 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

…or you just happen to live in/near a cruise port!

I’ve been on twelve cruises.  I’ve flown to four of them and the other eight were from my home port.  I’m MUCH more likely to take a cruise if it’s from my home port.  Here are a few of the reasons why:

• I HATE everything about flying

•  If I fly, I have to either take more time off work (and away from my pets) or else book shorter itineraries 

• Added stress of issues stemming from air travel (lost luggage, delayed or canceled flights, etc.) ruining the trip

• Saves money

Of those, saving money is definitely the LEAST important one for me… 

You live near a port, great, you don't have to fly.  That's why Carnival makes their money on the secondary drivable ports with 3-6 day cruises.  Happy cruising

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I too blame the ones that are too meek to try another line for the cutbacks.  Why give them MORE when they will always smile at getting less.  It's easy to fool a newbie.  They simply don't know.  How they keep fooling 10 year, 20 year, 30+ year guests is beyond me.  Loyalty to a single cruise line makes no sense. 

You confuse loyalty and personal preference. I cruise other lines, but mostly Carnival by choice. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You confuse loyalty and personal preference. I cruise other lines, but mostly Carnival by choice. 

I totally agree with you.  We are (luckilyI) in a financial position to be able to afford ANY cruise line we want.  We prefer Carnival just because we do.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

No, I am not confused.  My comment did not apply to you in that case. If you're choosing multiple lines, then you're not covered by the comment. 

There are certainly many people who are creatures of habit and too timid to try something else.  They aren't exercising preference, they are terrified of any change. You see posts here where people need the Day 3 menu to make SURE it hasn't changed over their 27 trips and they know exactly what they will order, they know they will be in a seat at 6:15pm, they know they will see the same show at the same day and time as they did their last 27 trips.  They will sit at the same spot on the pool deck; no onboard cutback or amenity removal has a negative impact on them because they do everything by strict routine, won't deviate, and won't change.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Who knew that no filet would be the downfall of civilization as we knew it.....🤨

Totally off topic but beef and seafood (i.e. shrimp, lobster) are eventually going to be out of reach as regular (daily) entrees just at the life in general level.  There will be changes to cruises as a result. It may even impact those fine cruise lines that currently have the common decency to provide them to all, for all meals, on every sailing, fully included. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I just gotta smile at this entire thread.....

Wasn't it just 2 or so years ago that people said they would be willing to cruise "under any condition" as long as the ship was sailing........

I'm sure many said that.  I never have and never will.  I realize and respect that many of my fellow cruisers are of the "Just get me on a ship" / ""A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work" mindset.  I and many others are not.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 8:05 AM, LMaxwell said:

New CEO is off to a running start and they don't even have to spin this; the hardcore devotees will do it for them.  No one here seems to have heard of death by a thousand cuts.  You never can identify which was the fatal one. 

I always ate way more than I should have on Carnival cruises. Rarely had problems finding enough food. I am currently trying to plan a trip on my first Excel class cruise. I was wondering when I'm going to fit in Cucina, Chibang, Shaqs, and Street Eats on top of everything else I already enjoy. Dare I also say I may also be interested in trying Rudy's or Emeril's...

Meanwhile, I am supposed to be mad that I can't get pizza at 5 am or that I can't hang a paper for a bagel in the morning. Like, imagine trying to explain this to a neutral party, unaware of cruising. To get the most sympathy, you'd probably say something like "they just keep removing everything" and the other person would nod in agreement. Then try to give these reasons and be taken seriously. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cutbacks: A Short Play

Passenger 1: I went on a cruise last week and brunch ended at noon!!!!

Passenger 2: Oh wow, good to know, thank you. 

Passenger 1: Promise me you will never sail that cruise line again!!

Passenger 2: (Backing slowly out of room) Gotta go! Thanks for the advice! Have a nice day!

Passenger 1: WAIT!!! I’M NOT DONE WITH THIS CONVERSATION!

(Room doorknob snaps shut)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, KmomChicago said:

Cutbacks: A Short Play

Passenger 1: I went on a cruise last week and brunch ended at noon!!!!

Passenger 2: Oh wow, good to know, thank you. 

Passenger 1: Promise me you will never sail that cruise line again!!

Passenger 2: (Backing slowly out of room) Gotta go! Thanks for the advice! Have a nice day!

Passenger 1: WAIT!!! I’M NOT DONE WITH THIS CONVERSATION!

(Room doorknob snaps shut)

Fade to black...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The classic "It doesn't impact me yet, so I don't care" response.  

You didn't use a single one of the services being removed? Okay, that's fine. Many others do use some or all of them.  You do things differently than me. I respect your choices. Can you respect mine as well?  You're not supposed to be "mad" about anything, you're just supposed to vote with your wallet, which you are.  Enjoy the long lines at those venues, as a consequence of other venues and services being halted.  How will they reduce lines? With more "nominal fees".  IJS. 

Why should I be attacked or shamed for liking a plate of fruit and coffee on my balcony instead of going to the buffet lines for breakfast and calling a spade a spade?

Unfortunately some people celebrate cutbacks and are allergic to trying new things; not saying you, but they are prevalent here. They are quick to mock, slow to understand, and steadfast in their approach. 

100% correct.  None on their own are a deal ender but at some point they all cumulatively add up.  For us we also enjoyed the previous process for room service breakfast.  It was our early morning wake up call and we enjoyed something light with coffee in the cabin, 'breakfast' was always a few hours later mid-morning.

It has been many years since I have been up at 4am partying so the pizza shop closing won't impact me but that wasn't the big story in this release.  It was the change in 'late night' offerings which is really anything past 9-9:30pm, not really that late..  The lines for pizza are always long as it was even with other offerings on the Lido.  Now pretty much moving everything to that single station will likely create a negative experience for the customer because of the waits and lack of choices. 

This is just another step where Carnival is pushing people to the paid room service in my opinion.  It you make it undesirable knowing people tend to avoid long lines for food then they are more likely to order it for delivery.  They are creating revenue for what was once an expense.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

The classic "It doesn't impact me yet, so I don't care" response.  

You didn't use a single one of the services being removed? Okay, that's fine. Many others do use some or all of them.  You do things differently than me. I respect your choices. Can you respect mine as well?  You're not supposed to be "mad" about anything, you're just supposed to vote with your wallet, which you are.  Enjoy the long lines at those venues, as a consequence of other venues and services being halted.  How will they reduce lines? With more "nominal fees".  IJS. 

Why should I be attacked or shamed for liking a plate of fruit and coffee on my balcony instead of going to the buffet lines for breakfast and calling a spade a spade?

Unfortunately some people celebrate cutbacks and are allergic to trying new things; not saying you, but they are prevalent here. They are quick to mock, slow to understand, and steadfast in their approach. 

I liked the late night lido buffet every once in a while. So I guess it could say it "impacts me". Ever since I've started cruising, all I've heard is the increasing doom and gloom around food options. Yet, somehow, I've continued to find new options I enjoy. How about this, if I go on my next cruise, and my entire experience is ruined because of these changes, I will personally create a 10 page cutback thread.

My favorite restaurant nearby still has a limited menu from pandemic. I don't prefer it. I don't cheerlead for it. However, I still like the restaurant. None of it is the end of the world. 

You can still get your fruit and coffee on the balcony too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm fine with these cutbacks apart from the loss of afternoon tea.

I am British.....this is to be expected.

I'll just grab a general sandwich and go off to cry and eat it somewhere on deck 13.

Edited by Velvetwater
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

18 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thank you for answering.  This did give me some clarity on your point of view.  Maybe I can help clarify some things for you...

I drive to port because:

• I pack a lot (because I dress well and like to have choices in my wardrobe and shoes as well as because I like to have certain comforts and "luxury items", and I have to DIY so much (meaning packing more) to make up for so many of the Carnival cutbacks, ei: memory foam mattress topper, teabox with assortment of real teas, drinking straws, etc.
  • I hate all the hassles of post-9/11 flying (and now its even worse with all the recent flight cancellations / delays).
  • My drive-to port of Baltimore offers me the size and class of ship (Spirit on Carnival, Vision on RCI) that I prefer above all others.
  • I can get up in the morning and drive to a very efficiently-run cruiseport in less than 2.5 hours. And I am onboard and enjoying my vacation within an hour of arriving at port.
  • I only fly when necessary and it has nothing to do with cost.

You lumping those of us who drive to port with some of these other "types"(your word) was making inaccurate, offensive assumptions.

Cost is not a big concern for me in a cruise. Quality of product and experience is.

And for the record, just to further dispel your inaccurate assumptions about "the type that drives to the port" being cheap:

• I book Suites and high-end excursions.
  • I spend freely onboard.
  • I will not take a cruise less than 7 days long. I prefer over 10 days.
  • I never break any cruiseIine rules (and HATE smuggling).
  • I almost always increase my auto-grats as well as leave additional cash tips. And would NEVER cancel or decrease my auto-grats.
  • I give additional cash tips with each drink order.
  • I and every member of my family has had a passport since we started traveling internationally in the earl 2000's (my youngest at 10 months, with my hands visible in her passport picture, holding her up🤣).
  • I carry on my one (and DH, his) bottle of wine because I am allowed to and for the convenience of having the brand of my choice in my Suite as well as a little cost savings.
  • I loathe dishonesty and cheating (this includes smuggling).

And I, too, am a CCL shareholder.  Many more shares than necessary for the OBC, BTW.😉

So maybe you should refrain from judging other cruise passengers based on faulty assumptions.

So well said - thank you!!! Saved me from having to type the same thing!  👍😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, dyoung1550 said:

We take zip lock bags and get a deli sandwich to keep in the Refrigerator for late night snacks.  A bag of cookies from the Buffet works also....

This is creative but should be completely unnecessary on a cruise vacation, it's quite sad that folks have to stuff food in bags to hoard for later in order to eat when they're hungry. Cruising is supposed to be a luxury type vacation. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This is creative but should be completely unnecessary on a cruise vacation, it's quite sad that folks have to stuff food in bags to hoard for later in order to eat when they're hungry. Cruising is supposed to be a luxury type vacation. 

I agree, but at least the mass market lines it seems the days of feeling pampered are over.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I agree, but at least the mass market lines it seems the days of feeling pampered are over.

Cruise on Princess or Celebrity, a notch above NCL, MSC, RCI & Carnival with feeling pampered.  Unless of course you stay in the Haven on NCL, the Yacht Club on MSC or the Star Class on RCI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Not sure of that - at least in my case.  Not having to cook for a week, clean my house, do my laundry - that makes me feel pretty pampered!

• Like 6