Cheers package

cruisinmeme

8 minutes ago, icft said:

I recall reading a post quite a while back where someone said they tipped their steward $20 or $30 the first day of each cruise and got great service as a result. My thought was "you paid them to think you thought so little of them that they could be bribed and they gave you good service anyhow."

I agree, over-tipping up front when you have no experience with their level of service is crass. Save the expressions of gratitude to near then end when you know who deserves special appreciation. Though when I get free drinks I do tip a couple of bucks like I would have been automatically charged if I paid for the drink. I could be misinformed but I was told years back that the waiter gets only a token amount on free drinks.

exactly!!

Call it what you want but the employees are there to earn money. If they can earn extra money by showing a little more attention to a particular passenger that’s what they’re going to do. For that matter, who wouldn’t do a little extra for higher pay? Isn’t that why we work? For the money 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

I know this is not the popular opinion, but I hate it when people on these boards repeatedly claim they get "preferential" treatment from bar staff because they drop $5 when ordering there first drink.

I think it just arrogant on their part, and they're really only tooting their own horn!!  Bar staff do not (and as a matter of fact are not allowed) to ignore guests in favor of others.  It just doesn't happen, at least not regularly!!  Staff would be in serious trouble if they were reported doing so, it's just not worth it to them.

I find I get great service by smiling, being nice and interacting with the staff.   And before we all go off the deep end on how cheap I am, I handed out over $300 in extra tips on the last day of my cruise last month.   I never got the impression that they were unhappy with me for not leaving that $1 every drink.  But you should have seen how appreciative they were when I searched them out on that last day and handed them that little envelope!!!

I’ve never seen anyone ignore another customer but for sure when they know my usual order I’ve had bar tenders make mine at the same time as others and even slide mine over before finishing the others.  Preferential, not really.  I’m just respectful to the bartenders and yes, I always tip $2 extra on every drink.  And like you, I seek out the best ones later in the week and give them more. 

• Like 2

I tip extra when I encounter something special.  The included gratuity for cracking open a beer is normally sufficient in my opinion.  Now if you make me a great mixed drink at a busy bar, watch out for me if camp out on a barstool for a while or if a server is bringing me drinks to my table then I will always tip extra.  

18 hours ago, Madermh said:

Hello,  just curious for those who get the Cheers package if you add addition gratuity on top of what is paid when you buy the package, no judgement either way?  I typically add a dollar or two but, I think it’s more because I’ve always done so when out at a bar.

Also, A deeper question is, if you do add an extra tip, does that money go directly to the server, or does it end up in a large bucket that’s split after the cruise amongst all the staff?

Thanks!

You pay the gratuity when you purchase Cheers, so tips above and beyond that are not expected. It's entirely up to you.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:53 AM, IslandHppy said:

We had a strange thing happen. I wanted to upgrade a cheap paid close in booking from inside to ocean view.  The only rate they could find/book for OV was including free Cheers.  (Trying to book the plain inside to OV upgrade gave an "error" to two different agents.  The cheapest OV cabin was like $514 and the rate with Cheers was $549.  We don't drink much/at all.   So at the end of the cruise, assuming we get a bottle of water or two all week, what will be on our onboard folio?  Do we pay 18% on the whole retail value of Cheers?   Or 18% per drink/order?  Or is the 18% included as part of the fare?  

When you have Cheers included as part of your fare, the gratuities are also included.  As a result, there will be no additional gratuity automatically added in total or per drink, unless you choose to include one.

• Like 1

For us, the Alchemy Bar staff are the ones we ALWAYS tip extra.  (That is the main bar we use on Carnival.) And, yes, there are favorites.  Those are the bartenders that listen to what you want or offer you an off-menu drink that they think you will really appreciate.  

If we were "regulars" at a different bar on a Carnival ship, we would tip extra there, too.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, cruizergal70 said:

Common sense, business knowledge, and reading these posts for years. A bunch of people indicate that they get the drink package so that they don't have to look at their running tab. They don't care if they hit the actual dollar amount. They are willing to pay for the "convenience. "

A "bunch" of people posting on CC is far from making it a truth. 

On 8/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, cruizergal70 said:

Are you willing to pay $600 just for beverages? For me, $600 is half way to another short vacation.

Absolutely....I will save money any chance I get.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, d12j28 said:

A "bunch" of people posting on CC is far from making it a truth. 

You obviously have not been reading the plethora of threads over the years discussing Cheers.  You have the obvious "is it worth it?", with those on either side of the line in the sand making their pitch as to why or why not you should get Cheers.  On the pro Cheers side are a group that gets it for the convenience factor and if they happen to possibly just fall short of breaking even it's OK because of the piece of mind that Cheers provides and they don't have to worry what their tab is going to be at the end of the cruise.

46 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

You obviously have not been reading the plethora of threads over the years discussing Cheers.  You have the obvious "is it worth it?", with those on either side of the line in the sand making their pitch as to why or why not you should get Cheers.  On the pro Cheers side are a group that gets it for the convenience factor and if they happen to possibly just fall short of breaking even it's OK because of the piece of mind that Cheers provides and they don't have to worry what their tab is going to be at the end of the cruise.

I guarantee I have read plenty...been here since 2007.  It is pretty rare someone has that take-away.  The biggest hangup is people get fixated on the 15 drinks and think they have to come close to that to make it 'worth it'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I guarantee I have read plenty...been here since 2007.  It is pretty rare someone has that take-away.  The biggest hangup is people get fixated on the 15 drinks and think they have to come close to that to make it 'worth it'.

My response was to d12j28, not you.

20 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

My response was to d12j28, not you.

And mine was in response to someone claiming it was the truth a bunch of people won't come close to spending what they paid for Cheers. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of those who buy Cheers don't get off the ship saying they didn't get their money's worth. 

I've read plenty on here over the years on the debate of is Cheers worth it or not. Only the person buying Cheers can answer that. People need to remember that the those who post on here are only a small fraction of those who cruise. 

On 8/14/2022 at 3:48 PM, Daddyfto said:

Also I'm paying 7.00$ plus 18% for a beer that costs Carnival less than a dollar which is good as I'm a stock holder 

There is not a single beer on their list under $1.00. A 12oz bud light is $.96 they server 16OZ, over $1.00 (I want to say about $1.10/can, maybe more since its one of those twist of cans) AT COST - then add in the expense of ordering/storing/serving. 

Not sure if they have to pay a deposit on top of that too, which inevitably they don't 100% get back since most people just toss into regular trash. 

17 hours ago, heyyvictorr said:

There is not a single beer on their list under $1.00. A 12oz bud light is $.96 they server 16OZ, over $1.00 (I want to say about $1.10/can, maybe more since its one of those twist of cans) AT COST - then add in the expense of ordering/storing/serving. 

Not sure if they have to pay a deposit on top of that too, which inevitably they don't 100% get back since most people just toss into regular trash. 

How can you know what prices Carnival pays for wholesale beer (or other alcohol), potentially purchased outside the US duty and tax free, after negotiations with the distributors or manufacturers?

Your price at the grocery store is marked up from what the store is paying the distributor, and the distributor is marking up whatever they are paying the brewery, and incudes whatever built-in taxes.

I would be shocked if Carnival was paying more than 50 cents for their tall boys of Bud.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

How can you know what prices Carnival pays for wholesale beer (or other alcohol), potentially purchased outside the US duty and tax free, after negotiations with the distributors or manufacturers?

Your price at the grocery store is marked up from what the store is paying the distributor, and the distributor is marking up whatever they are paying the brewery, and incudes whatever built-in taxes.

I would be shocked if Carnival was paying more than 50 cents for their tall boys of Bud.

Because I know what it costs wholesale. Beyond having my own liquor license, I used to work in purchasing for a large company. Beers are only brewed in certain places so the idea of 'buying outside the country' is invalid. 

2 minutes ago, heyyvictorr said:

Because I know what it costs wholesale. Beyond having my own liquor license, I used to work in purchasing for a large company. Beers are only brewed in certain places so the idea of 'buying outside the country' is invalid. 

Your costing still doesn't make sense.  I can buy 24 packs of Bud Light, 12oz cans, for $22 at Total Wine.  That right there is less than your $0.96 per can rate.

(And a 20-pack of 16 oz aluminum bottles is $21.)

Assuming the store is using a ~10% markup, they are getting those 24-packs for $20.

The distributor is getting them for some amount less, otherwise why be in business.

And finally, buying them "outside the country" or maybe "for export" should remove any local state and federal excise taxes (which in FL for beer are remarkably small, less than a dollar total per 24 pack, I would assume).  That's why Cheers has those weird exclusions for Day 1 in TX and NY - they clamp down on the drinks meant for export but served within state lines.

I don't know if Carnival Corp does the negotiating for all the lines, and can leverage their buying power to get much better prices than maybe even Total Wine.  But I would think it would be comparable.

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Your costing still doesn't make sense.  I can buy 24 packs of Bud Light, 12oz cans, for $22 at Total Wine.  That right there is less than your $0.96 per can rate.

(And a 20-pack of 16 oz aluminum bottles is $21.)

Assuming the store is using a ~10% markup, they are getting those 24-packs for $20.

The distributor is getting them for some amount less, otherwise why be in business.

And finally, buying them "outside the country" or maybe "for export" should remove any local state and federal excise taxes (which in FL for beer are remarkably small, less than a dollar total per 24 pack, I would assume).  That's why Cheers has those weird exclusions for Day 1 in TX and NY - they clamp down on the drinks meant for export but served within state lines.

I don't know if Carnival Corp does the negotiating for all the lines, and can leverage their buying power to get much better prices than maybe even Total Wine.  But I would think it would be comparable.

Valid, but Total Wine is also notorious for selling just at/slightly above cost. In CT they've got in trouble for selling below MAP. Beer is not a money maker unless they are selling for huge markups retail (like on a boat or in a bar), you make money on liquor and wine much faster. 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:37 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

I agree. Especially if you counter in the fact that Carnival operates multiple cruise lines with multiple ships on each line, so have the bargaining leverage far beyond someone with a liquor license operating a bar, or warehouse even.

On 8/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, Schoifmom said:

The $59.95 price is with the 10% off.  It is $64.95 when purchased on board.  See my previous post (#10 from yesterday).

I knew the price is higher but reading the verbage it sounds like it is 10% of of the 59.95. 

On 8/14/2022 at 1:43 PM, Madermh said:

Hello,  just curious for those who get the Cheers package if you add addition gratuity on top of what is paid when you buy the package, no judgement either way?  I typically add a dollar or two but, I think it’s more because I’ve always done so when out at a bar.

Also, A deeper question is, if you do add an extra tip, does that money go directly to the server, or does it end up in a large bucket that’s split after the cruise amongst all the staff?

Thanks!

The included gratuities on a CHEERS package is per drink significantly lower than purchasing individual drinks so I always add $1 per drink.  The extra gratuities go to the servers. 

On 8/14/2022 at 8:17 PM, icft said:

I recall reading a post quite a while back where someone said they tipped their steward $20 or $30 the first day of each cruise and got great service as a result. My thought was "you paid them to think you thought so little of them that they could be bribed and they gave you good service anyhow."

I agree, over-tipping up front when you have no experience with their level of service is crass. Save the expressions of gratitude to near then end when you know who deserves special appreciation. Though when I get free drinks I do tip a couple of bucks like I would have been automatically charged if I paid for the drink. I could be misinformed but I was told years back that the waiter gets only a token amount on free drinks.

You were misinformed.  Waiters and bartenders get the tips made.  Also service industry professionals understand very well (and welcome) upfront tips.