Just now. NCL opens up to almost everyone

2 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

This really makes no sense.  Non vaccinated needs a test.  Vaccinated does not need a test.  I really need someone to explain this to me.

NCL does not want to deal with a passenger with full-blown symptoms, up to and including death, so:

If the non-vaccinated gets Covid during the trip, they''ll take their symptoms home and deal it off ship.  If they are already at the point of failing a test, they may turn into a medical emergency onboard.

If the vaccinated gets Covid during the trip, they''ll take their lesser symptoms home and deal it off ship.  If they are already at the point of failing a test, they may show lesser symptoms, but probably not turn into a medical emergency onboard.

Likely less to do with virus transmission and more to do with impact on NCL while the passenger is NCL's responsibility.

NCL wants to use incubation time to their advantage so the folks who can get really, really sick, do so after they disembark.  Those who have taken the initiative to be vaccinated are a risk NCL is willing to accept since most of the vaccinated are not getting really, really sick.  It is now accepted that anyone can get it at anytime, so the focus has shifted to risk tolerance and mitigating the effects.

Edited by n4w
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, n4w said:

NCL does not want to deal with a passenger with full-blown symptoms, up to and including death, so:

If the non-vaccinated gets Covid during the trip, they''ll take their symptoms home and deal it off ship.  If they are already at the point of failing a test, they may turn into a medical emergency onboard.

If the vaccinated gets Covid during the trip, they''ll take their lesser symptoms home and deal it off ship.  If they are already at the point of failing a test, they may show lesser symptoms, but probably not turn into a medical emergency onboard.

Likely less to do with virus transmission and more to do with impact on NCL while the passenger is NCL's responsibility.

NCL wants to use incubation time to their advantage so the folks who can get really, really sick, do so after they disembark.  Those who have taken the initiative to be vaccinated are a risk NCL is willing to accept since most of the vaccinated are not getting really, really sick.  It is now accepted that anyone can get it at anytime, so the focus has shifted to risk tolerance and mitigating the effects.

It’s EXACTLY this. 

• Like 1

By the time I sail this December it will have been over a year since my last booster shot and I'm undecided as to whether I will get another one going forward. 

I guess that part that confuses me is that the vaccines wane overt time. I would think that they would want a current date stamp on these cards to show that people are up to date on their shots. 

Personally, I think the safest thing to do is to have everyone r show a negative test before boarding regardless of vaccination.  Vaccines don't prevent Covid. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

Vaccinated or non vaccinated can get the virus and pass it on.  Actually if the unvaccinated has Covid you may see symptoms.  Vaccinated may not shows symptoms but can still pass it on.  No symptoms walk on to the ship ready to pass it on. 

So you can still try to answer my question rather than ask me a question if you can offer any logic to this situation.  Even if it is "their rules" please give me a logical explanation. 

Attaboy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

I think this is only partially correct.

BOTH Vaccinated and unvaccinated can get COVID and pass it on. 

BOTH Vaccinated and unvaccinated can show no symptoms at any time.  It's called Asymptomatic.  

BOTH Vaccinated and unvaccinated people can die from COVID infection.  Currently, you have a much better chance of mild symptoms and not dying having been vaccinated and boosted.

Anyone can correct me on that as needed.

If NCL believes it is in their best interest to remove most protocols, that is up to them.  If you disagree, just don't sail on NCL.

Tons of studies have shown both vaccinated and unvaccinated do not catch covid, and transmit covid, at equal rates. Vaccinated is much less.

"both can BLANK" is a false logic. Michael Phelps and I are both Swimmers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bortman23 said:

Tons of studies have shown both vaccinated and unvaccinated do not catch covid, and transmit covid, at equal rates. Vaccinated is much less.

"both can BLANK" is a false logic. Michael Phelps and I are both Swimmers.

Problem is that the poster you quoted never said anything about the BOTH being at the same rate. You introduced (and argued against) that part...the false logic is all yours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, logan25 said:

Just as with vaccination and testing rules to date, if you don’t like or feel safe, stay off cruise ships which do not meet your requirements.

Of course.  I do not have an opinion one way or another.  I have cruised 2x in the past year and will continue to cruise.  I will cruise whether there is a test requirement or not.  I do not care one way or the other although no testing makes it a lot easier.

I just do not understand the logic.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, psac said:

Now this is an explanation that makes some sense.  I thank the poster for their opinion on NCL's thinking. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

Vaccinated or non vaccinated can get the virus and pass it on.  Actually if the unvaccinated has Covid you may see symptoms.  Vaccinated may not shows symptoms but can still pass it on.  No symptoms walk on to the ship ready to pass it on. 

So you can still try to answer my question rather than ask me a question if you can offer any logic to this situation.  Even if it is "their rules" please give me a logical explanation. 

The logic being time to move on in life. The Virus has also moved on to be just another flu like illness that people have been sailing with for eons. So economics is in play. Fill the ships or go out of business. No line can sail at 50 - 60% for very long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

The logic being time to move on in life. The Virus has also moved on to be just another flu like illness that people have been sailing with for eons. So economics is in play. Fill the ships or go out of business. No line can sail at 50 - 60% for very long.

I agree that you need to move on. If it starts to not work well, the rules will adjust to that. Just like on land. Everyone has a choice here and that includes the cruise lines. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Agreed. Just yesterday, even the CDC relaxed its recommendations further. Time to get back to normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 of my friends just returned from Alaska and they came home sick and tested positive. They were vaccinated and boosted and tested negative prior to their cruise. One of them said halfway through the cruise everyone was coughing. We sail September 4th which is after the new rules. We sail from Seattle which testing is not required but we stop in Victoria so we are going through with our testing date and will have results in hand just in case we need it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tooncamp said:

We sail September 4th which is after the new rules. We sail from Seattle which testing is not required but we stop in Victoria so we are going through with our testing date and will have results in hand just in case we need it. 

Time to reread those rules.

18 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

This really makes no sense.  Non vaccinated needs a test.  Vaccinated does not need a test.  I really need someone to explain this to me.

I believe that they have it all wrong but as someone has said, it’s their rules.

The unvaccinated will be amongst a majority of vaccinated passengers, some of whom may be positive for covid and not know it because they got the vaccine and are without symptoms.

So testing the unvaccinated, who would have symptoms if they were positive  m-doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tooncamp said:

2 of my friends just returned from Alaska and they came home sick and tested positive. They were vaccinated and boosted and tested negative prior to their cruise. One of them said halfway through the cruise everyone was coughing. We sail September 4th which is after the new rules. We sail from Seattle which testing is not required but we stop in Victoria so we are going through with our testing date and will have results in hand just in case we need it. 

Not only do you need to be tested, you have to file an ArriveCAN application and receive approval of it in order to board the ship.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, lyannea said:

I believe that they have it all wrong but as someone has said, it’s their rules.

The unvaccinated will be amongst a majority of vaccinated passengers, some of whom may be positive for covid and not know it because they got the vaccine and are without symptoms.

So testing the unvaccinated, who would have symptoms if they were positive  m-doesn’t make sense. 

There's ample evidence of huge numbers of people who have had asymptomatic COVID infections, so much so that the reported number of infections is not close to the actual number of infections. This isn't a new discovery. It's been known since the early stages of the pandemic, long before vaccines were available.

So...no...the unvaccinated don't necessarily have symptoms if they are infected. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's ample evidence of huge numbers of people who have had asymptomatic COVID infections, so much so that the reported number of infections is not close to the actual number of infections. This isn't a new discovery. It's been known since the early stages of the pandemic, long before vaccines were available.

So...no...the unvaccinated don't necessarily have symptoms if they are infected. 

This is correct- some of the early findings were taken by testing in Boston, of which I won’t go over the details because it won’t be within CC guidelines in discussing cruising.

I’m very excited that the unvaxed will be able to cruise. 
Having been around my share of positive Covid patients in the last 2 years & remaining unvaccinated, I and many other unvaccinated colleagues have remained unscathed.

Taking  personal responsibility for the likelihood of catching any type of virus while cruising is paramount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rob-Bob said:

It is about getting the ships filled. Many like me are not cruising with the testing requirement. I am vaccinated but have chosen not to book when testing is required. I basically am not concerned with COVID any longer. I have had 5 trips where testing was required, and I am just not doing it anymore. Plus, by allowing unvaccinated to book and travel with a test, they are attempting to mitigate risks and allow another portion of the population to book. I caught COVID on my last cruise when everyone was tested and vaccinated, so all the restrictions really haven't made a difference. There really isn't a reason for the restrictions when the ships are not in a bubble. Cruisers fly to the ship unmasked, check into hotels unmasked and are generally exposed before ever reaching the ship. So, in the end testing really never did any good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roboref said:

It is about getting the ships filled. Many like me are not cruising with the testing requirement. I am vaccinated but have chosen not to book when testing is required. I basically am not concerned with COVID any longer. I have had 5 trips where testing was required, and I am just not doing it anymore. Plus, by allowing unvaccinated to book and travel with a test, they are attempting to mitigate risks and allow another portion of the population to book. I caught COVID on my last cruise when everyone was tested and vaccinated, so all the restrictions really haven't made a difference. There really isn't a reason for the restrictions when the ships are not in a bubble. Cruisers fly to the ship unmasked, check into hotels unmasked and are generally exposed before ever reaching the ship. So, in the end testing really never did any good. 

Great explanation.

My guess is that Testing upon boarding would catch a small percentage of people who may have caught covid a few days before embarking the ship. 
That number must be small enough where it doesn’t matter ?

I have to be tested for work every day- since testing began .

can you tell me what it is about the testing that you don’t like.

I’ve read that the ‘stress’ people have about having to test & maybe being (+) and not being able to cruise.

For me, I would want to know.

thanks

Lyannea

1 hour ago, v3cruiser said:

Annnnnddddd the CDC just changed their suggestions again today.

no quarantine if infected. just wear a mask

unvaxxed people same guidance as vaxxed

no longer necessary to screen those without symptoms.

Link to something that changed today?  All I see is what they changed yesterday, and it still includes isolation for those infected. What they eliminated is quarantine for those exposed to COVID .

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/p0811-covid-guidance.html

• Recommending that instead of quarantining if you were exposed to COVID-19, you wear a high-quality mask for 10 days and get tested on day 5.

• Recommending that if you test positive for COVID-19, you stay home for at least 5 days and isolate from others in your home.  You are likely most infectious during these first 5 days. Wear a high-quality mask when you must be around others at home and in public.
    • If after 5 days you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of medication, and your symptoms are improving, or you never had symptoms, you may end isolation after day 5.
    • Regardless of when you end isolation, avoid being around people who are more likely to get very sick from COVID-19 until at least day 11.
    • You should wear a high-quality mask through day 10.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

NCL will become the New Covid Line.  
sorry, but I will not book on NCL. 

3 more lines are lifting mandates to some embarkation ports - Princess, RCCL & Celebrity 

Now, please put on your thinking cap and 

hear me out.

There are 22 countries that still require vaccinations.

Canada is one of them, so anyone unvaccinated cannot get on a cruise to Canada, going to Alaska, no matter what cruise line.

do you see where I’m going ? 
FAD4726B-8C1A-4682-88B7-BC5F883A5318.thumb.jpeg.65ee9aeb0d13512a2f425270f537da36.jpeg