Dropping off luggage in room when embarking???

tweak89

We head out on the Breeze on the 29th and this will be our first cruise without FTTF, so we've never had to wait for our room to be ready before.  I've read several posts (here and elsewhere) about people (not platinum/diamond) heading straight to their room when embarking and dropping off their carry-ons and then heading to the open decks to wait for their room to be ready.

Is this common/allowed on all ships?  Will they block access or not allow you to do this for any reason?

Thanks!  

The only rooms that are ready are suites until 1:30. plat/diamond not in suites can drop off luggage and leave.

If you're not in a suite or not plat/diamond you're not allowed while they're cleaning.

Not hard to understand to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

We head out on the Breeze on the 29th and this will be our first cruise without FTTF, so we've never had to wait for our room to be ready before.  I've read several posts (here and elsewhere) about people (not platinum/diamond) heading straight to their room when embarking and dropping off their carry-ons and then heading to the open decks to wait for their room to be ready.

Is this common/allowed on all ships?  Will they block access or not allow you to do this for any reason?

Thanks!  

So, do people do it, YES.  Should they do it and is it an acceptable policy, NO.  There is always a few here or there, but it is certainly not common practice.  Some room stewards will call you out and try to stop you and tell you the rooms aren't ready yet, others will not.

The room stewards have a hard enough time trying to get rooms ready without having to deal with passengers running in and out of them.  

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

The only rooms that are ready are suites until 1:30. plat/diamond not in suites can drop off luggage and leave.

If you're not in a suite or not plat/diamond you're not allowed while they're cleaning.

Not hard to understand to me.

Lol,  maybe YOU didn't understand my question.  I'm aware of the ready time for rooms, but I have also read posts about NON-PLATINUM AND DIAMOND passengers dropping of their luggage.  

Thus, my question.  

• Like 2

We were on the Paradise earlier this summer.  We are both platinum and on all the other cruises, we were allowed to drop off luggage.  This time the doors to the hallways that have that no enter message" were locked and we couldn't get to the cabin until 1:30.  I heard several other people comment on this, so not sure what happened.  

8 minutes ago, wemjam said:

So, do people do it, YES.  Should they do it and is it an acceptable policy, NO.  There is always a few here or there, but it is certainly not common practice.  Some room stewards will call you out and try to stop you and tell you the rooms aren't ready yet, others will not.

The room stewards have a hard enough time trying to get rooms ready without having to deal with passengers running in and out of them.  

Ok,  like I had mentioned earlier we had always booked with FTTF so access was never an issue.  But, after reading so many posts about people doing it I just wanted to know if it was just one of those things that just happen, or if it was one of those unwritten things that happens.  Luckily we'll only have our rolling bag/cart with our soft drinks and wine to cart around while we wait,

Yeah I agree, the more I think about it I think the "plat and diamond can drop things off" thing may be another one of those things JH says just to placate his audience, because as others have said there is absolutely no signage onboard that says that is true.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

Ok,  like I had mentioned earlier we had always booked with FTTF so access was never an issue.  But, after reading so many posts about people doing it I just wanted to know if it was just one of those things that just happen, or if it was one of those unwritten things that happens.  Luckily we'll only have our rolling bag/cart with our soft drinks and wine to cart around while we wait,

Trust me there is a LOT of things people do because they think they are entitled and rules don't apply to them - and they are happy to post about it.

It sounds like you follow the rules and just needed clarification.  I would find a nice spot in one of the main areas and just people watch and maybe have a drink for a while until they make the announcement the room is ready.  This is what we always did before we made Platinum/Diamond (which was before FTTF even existed) because I always carry on all my luggage. 

• Like 2

mz-s is correct, passengers staying in Suites and Platinum/Diamond passengers are allowed to drop off their luggage in their stateroom upon boarding.  The Room Stewards are busy trying to get the rooms tuned around and all the stateroom doors are open to the hallway.  

I have been Diamond for many years and still get stopped by a Room Steward going to my stateroom.  I identify myself as a Diamond member and explain that I am just dropping off my luggage.  Also, because the doors are open, I don't think the Room Stewards want to accept responsibility for any items or luggage that is dropped off.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tattoos said:

mz-s is correct, passengers staying in Suites and Platinum/Diamond passengers are allowed to drop off their luggage in their stateroom upon boarding.  The Room Stewards are busy trying to get the rooms tuned around and all the stateroom doors are open to the hallway.  

I have been Diamond for many years and still get stopped by a Room Steward going to my stateroom.  I identify myself as a Diamond member and explain that I am just dropping off my luggage.  Also, because the doors are open, I don't think the Room Stewards want to accept responsibility for any items or luggage that is dropped off.  

THIS, except I don't think they are stopping people because they don't want responsibility for the luggage - I think it is just to try to keep people out of their way 🙂

I mean when the deliver luggage all they do is drop it in the hallway outside the door, anyone that wanted to take something it would be a lot easier to just grab one as you walked by versus trying to walk in and out of open rooms at embarkation and "look" for luggage to take.

Now, I will say this, I always put it IN the closet and only drop my suitcases with clothes.  All my valuable stuff is in the shoulder bag I keep with me until my room is ready.  I also make a point if I see a Steward as I am walking down the hall to not even wait for him to say something... I immediately say "I am Diamond and I am just dropping my luggage in room # XXXX then I am out of here" and if I don't see them while walking to my room, I make a point to drop it off and then walk around and find them specifically (they are always in a room somewhere in my hall), and tell them "I am Diamond room # XXXX, just threw my suitcase in the closet just so you know"

Edited by wemjam

31 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Yeah I agree, the more I think about it I think the "plat and diamond can drop things off" thing may be another one of those things JH says just to placate his audience, because as others have said there is absolutely no signage onboard that says that is true.

Yea, I could maybe kind of see that.  But I expect the beards would give him a good throttling if it weren't somewhat true.

I think it is more a case of them changing the signage because of guests.  Used to be doors were closed and it said Diamond/Platinum welcome to come in others have to wait until 1:30.  Now it just says YOU have to wait until 1:30.  Problem is there are too many people that would see the sign and think "Oh, if they can do it so can I," or "How's anyone going to know if I am not Diamond/Platinum, I'm doing it anyhow."  Again, the whole entitled thing. 🙄

Edited by wemjam

3 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Yea, I could maybe kind of see that.  But I expect the beards would give him a good throttling if it weren't somewhat true.

I think it is more a case of them changing the signage because of guests.  Used to be doors were closed and it said Diamond/Platinum welcome to come in others have to wait until 1:30.  Now it just says YOU have to wait until 1:30.  Problem is there are too many people that would see the sign and think "Oh, if they can do it so can I," or "How's anyone going to know if I am not Diamond/Platinum, I'm doing it anyhow."  Again, the whole entitled thing. 🙄

The point is the only way a plat/diamond would know they can go through since COVID is if they read JH's facebook page or if they read this forum. It isn't documented anywhere.

• Like 1

I know when we used FTTF we were never questioned when heading to our room early.  Our last cruise (also on the Breeze) we only saw one sign about who was allowed, and it didn't mention FTTF.   We didn't want to go wandering to our room to drop off our things if it wasn't expressly allowed (we knew we couldn't/shouldn't stay in the room).  

We'll be fine getting an early start on building up our winter fat stores on the lido deck, even with our carry ons,  haha. 

Edited by tweak89

1 hour ago, sc4125 said:

We were on the Paradise earlier this summer.  We are both platinum and on all the other cruises, we were allowed to drop off luggage.  This time the doors to the hallways that have that no enter message" were locked and we couldn't get to the cabin until 1:30.  I heard several other people comment on this, so not sure what happened.  

The context of this thread happened. Probably too many people just claiming they are D/P, following the lead of D/P folks thinking they are allowed or just not giving a shyt and doing it anyway. Allowing D/P drop off will ensure others will do the same, regardless of their status. No one gets their sign and sail cards until after 1:30 so everyone is D/P until then. They probably figured it's just easier to lock the doors and keep folks out, can't say I blame them and it's probably a good policy to be honest. I'm sure it's at the top of the complaint board for room stewards during turnaround day. Having interruption after interruption while trying to service an impossible amount of cabins in an impossibly short time frame has to be irritating as heck.     

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The point is the only way a plat/diamond would know they can go through since COVID is if they read JH's facebook page or if they read this forum. It isn't documented anywhere.

We got an email for platinum guests that said this….

STATEROOM ACCESS – Due to enhanced cleaning and sanitation, staterooms may not be ready at the time of boarding for the early Arrival Appointments.   If you have not checked your bags, feel free to quickly drop off your luggage while our crew puts the finishing touches on your stateroom.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

STATEROOM ACCESS – Due to enhanced cleaning and sanitation, staterooms may not be ready at the time of boarding for the early Arrival Appointments.   If you have not checked your bags, feel free to quickly drop off your luggage while our crew puts the finishing touches on your stateroom.  

Something is weird with my wife's Carnival account - she never gets these emails. And I still have a few more days until I get Platinum anyway.

Edited by mz-s

3 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Lol,  maybe YOU didn't understand my question.  I'm aware of the ready time for rooms, but I have also read posts about NON-PLATINUM AND DIAMOND passengers dropping of their luggage.  

Thus, my question.  

No, you're asking if people disregard and violate the correct procedure. The answer to your question is yes, there are violators. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

No, you're asking if people disregard and violate the correct procedure. The answer to your question is yes, there are violators. 

Lol, you must be a hit at parties!  But thanks for your input!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tweak89 said:

Thus, my question.  

49 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

12 minutes ago, tweak89 said:

Lol, you must be a hit at parties!  But thanks for your input!

The two of you are arguing past each other, I think.

The current "rules" are that only Suites and D&Ps can drop off luggage prior to 1:30pm.  Suites should also be able to just enjoy their cabins.  Everyone else should not go to their cabins prior to 1:30pm (or whenever it is announced).

The existence of such rules does not preclude people from flouting them, often using the excuse that "the stewards don't say anything".

So yes, people do it.  Many of those people shouldn't do it.  But some are allowed.  The former take advantage of the existence of the latter.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The two of you are arguing past each other, I think.

The current "rules" are that only Suites and D&Ps can drop off luggage prior to 1:30pm.  Suites should also be able to just enjoy their cabins.  Everyone else should not go to their cabins prior to 1:30pm (or whenever it is announced).

The existence of such rules does not preclude people from flouting them, often using the excuse that "the stewards don't say anything".

So yes, people do it.  Many of those people shouldn't do it.  But some are allowed.  The former take advantage of the existence of the latter.

With the the cruise industry still in such a "fluid" state the rules are constantly being updated/changed.  

If had only seen it mentioned here and there I wouldn't have even bothered seeking clarification.  But when you see something mentioned on several cruise forums, Reddit and even Facebook I need some clarification!   

Based on your username, what's your favorite prog band?  For me, there can be only one!!  Rush!!  Honorable mention to Yes and early Genesis.

Edited by tweak89

3 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I was going to say the exact same thing. I'm not on faceboook/don't see  JHs posts.  I received the platinum email that said the same thing early on (when cruising first resumed).  I kept a copy of it with me for about the first 4 cruises in case anyone wanted documentation, but nobody ever did.

Edited by csm5986142

I'm Platinum and I accessed my stateroom around 11:15am.  I quickly changed into my swimsuit and sandals and put my clothes that I wore at embarkation into a drawer.  Not smart.  I had informed a room attendant of my stateroom number and that I left my backpack in the closet.  My actual stateroom attendant took my embarkation clothes out of the drawer and put it in a bag to be taken to lost and found.  Fortunately I came back to the room around 1:30 and the clothes were returned.  So lesson learned, if you change clothes put them in your backpack/luggage so the attendant doesn't think they were left by the previous cruiser.  😜

• Like 5