Activities on multiple days at sea on ocean crossings

cruisr

I am considering an ocean crossing on SS in the next year or so.  I am just concerned that there will not be enough to do on sea days.  Can someone with ocean crossings (Atlantic or Pacific) if there were enough lectures, classes, lessons etc to keep you busy during the multiple days at sea.

Any past daily programs would be much appreciated.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

I am considering an ocean crossing on SS in the next year or so.  I am just concerned that there will not be enough to do on sea days.  Can someone with ocean crossings (Atlantic or Pacific) if there were enough lectures, classes, lessons etc to keep you busy during the multiple days at sea.

There will be morning and afternoon lectures, cooking demonstrations, bingo, trivia, golf putting, bridge lectures in the morning, duplicate in the afternoon and of course the highlights of an ocean crossing, eating, drinking, relaxing and making new friends.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 3

I LOVE CROSSINGS.   After a very few days, enter into another world.  No pressure -- do or don't participate in many and varied opportunities for entertainment - or not.  Nothing like having a lazy, wonderful lunch and then retiring for a little nap before getting dressed for cocktails and dinner.  Life at its best !!

• Like 7

Did an Atlantic crossing in summer of 2019 (not on SS, but on the Queen Mary 2).  What I found is that we quickly fell into a daily routine:  early morning exercise, late breakfast, lunch, nap, tea, trivia, get dressed for dinner, predinner cocktails, dinner, show, bed, repeat.  The days melded together, in this sort of fantasy world where you just do whatever you like, and there's no pressure.  Anything you want, you just ask.

It was almost sad when we finally saw the shore.  Back to reality.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm considering a cruise with 9 sea days, not a crossing, and am also concerned about sea day activities. I'm used to Crystal and have always heard that none of the other luxury lines could ever compare with what Crystal offered.

If you embark on the cruise with expectations of anything like Crystal, you will be disappointed. But if your needs/wants are more modest and if you can amuse yourself with a good book or a movie in addition to lectures, competitions, in conversation with new friends, you will have a fine time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I'm considering a cruise with 9 sea days, not a crossing, and am also concerned about sea day activities. I'm used to Crystal and have always heard that none of the other luxury lines could ever compare with what Crystal offered.

Patty, lol, that is exactly why I was asking.  Crystal had me busy all day if I wanted to be.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Did an Atlantic crossing in summer of 2019 (not on SS, but on the Queen Mary 2).  What I found is that we quickly fell into a daily routine:  early morning exercise, late breakfast, lunch, nap, tea, trivia, get dressed for dinner, predinner cocktails, dinner, show, bed, repeat.  The days melded together, in this sort of fantasy world where you just do whatever you like, and there's no pressure.  Anything you want, you just ask.

It was almost sad when we finally saw the shore.  Back to reality.

You make me feel quite exhausted, so much to do (not), perfect!!!    

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cruisr said:

On the 2022 WC, we left South Georgia Island and were supposed to stop in Tristan da Cunha. We were not permitted to get off, so essentially another sea day, then onto Cape Town - in total 9 sea days.  Attached are the Chronicles for those days.2022-02-13 (Sea).pdf

2022-02-14 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-15 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-16 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-17 (Tristan da Cunha).pdf 2022-02-18 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-19 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-20 (Sea).pdf 2022-02-21 (Sea).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCCruiser57 said:

It may just be me, but aside from the enrichment lectures, I don't see a lot of activities of interest.   I would enjoy cooking demonstrations, bridge tours by the officers, wine tastings (with included wines and comments), and that sort of thing.  I'm not sure nine sea days in a row would be that enjoyable.  Please convince me that I am wrong.  

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

It may just be me, but aside from the enrichment lectures, I don't see a lot of activities of interest.   I would enjoy cooking demonstrations, bridge tours by the officers, wine tastings (with included wines and comments), and that sort of thing.  I'm not sure nine sea days in a row would be that enjoyable.  Please convince me that I am wrong.  

A few years back, we did a crossing and it was broken up by stopping in Bermuda. I think we had 5 sea days and then 3 sea days. I enjoyed it some what but just too slow for us. I would never do it again but this is coming from an active person most of the time. Different strokes for different folks!!

We did Cape to  Cape this year on Explorer and as above were not able to disembark on Tristan, nor in fact in Falklands so we had lots and lots of sea days.  We had much less entertainment than was offered on the world cruise because we were an expedition ship but I have to say the time did not pall, it was all so relaxing, notwithstanding really quite rough seas most of the way.   Lot of time to chat with people, lots of lectures, no bridge and even my husband didnt complain about that which surprised me.   We read a lot, chatted with lots of people, went in the hot tub, but only once, where did all that time go?    I dont know.   There was a lot of staring out at the sea which we both enjoy.   No gym (I am allergic to unforced exercise).   Lots of food and drink.   A wonderful three week break.   Go with the flow!

Edited by labrasett
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 3:22 PM, dusababy said:

I LOVE CROSSINGS.   After a very few days, enter into another world.  No pressure -- do or don't participate in many and varied opportunities for entertainment - or not.  Nothing like having a lazy, wonderful lunch and then retiring for a little nap before getting dressed for cocktails and dinner.  Life at its best !!

Well those of us who are Crystal refugees, on sea days we had 3 lectures a day, computer and photography classes, knitting and art classes, gym classes, golf lessons, bridge classes, dance lessons, trivia of course, afternoon tea and I could go on. 

The idea being that one could do as much or as little as they wanted. Many of us actually enjoy all the activities. If there were no activities on a crossing, I personally would eventually be bored.

• Like 4

In addition to what has already been listed, my Spirit crossing last March also included: 

* beginner language lessons in 3 different languages -- Spanish, German, and a 3rd I've since forgotten

* daily dance lessons, each day a different style and encouragement to practice with the G'Hosts at night

* multiple levels of bridge, multiple times a day

• 3 weeks later...

Miss Lynn and I have done many Atlantic crossings and have enjoyed every one. I am going on the Dawn by myself in March 2023 from Barbados-Lisbon and Col Wes is doing the same. Our wives don't want to go for one reason or another. There will be 8 total sea days. I love it! The social environment, food prep and service are always better( exceptional ) on sea days because the entire crew is onboard as opposed to port days when 1/3rd of the crew is always ashore. Introduce yourselves to others from around the world and enjoy their company. You'll enjoy your trip much more that way. Don't be bashful! Just relax and have fun!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

We did a repositioning cruise from Caribbean to South America which had six sea days in a row (well we did have four hours at Devils Island which was brutally hot).

We love sea days between ports but not sure we would opt for six days in a row again.

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, Observer said:

If you embark on the cruise with expectations of anything like Crystal, you will be disappointed. But if your needs/wants are more modest and if you can amuse yourself with a good book or a movie in addition to lectures, competitions, in conversation with new friends, you will have a fine time.

I did a Crystal cruise and the Sea Days were the most Boring I have ever experienced on a cruise ship.

The New owners have the Past Guest list and want me back but they would have to make some Big activity improvements before I would even think about it.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:36 AM, irvington said:

thanks, this was a really helpful thread for deciding if I want to travel solo.

I love sea days on ocean crossings.  There is usually progressive trivia for a start, as well as extra guest speakers and various other games, activities and demonstrations.  It is also a time to get to know other passengers better as you linger over breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I had a lovely time on my recent Dec/Jan 14 night cruise.  This is for small ships though, 650 or so, or less.  

• Like 4