Anyone had a free upgrade?

gteach

Oh dear!

Most experienced P&O cruisers tick the 'no upgrade' box. Whilst technically the upgrade may be in a slightly higher grade than what you originally booked it might be in a worse position, such as under the buffet (noise early morning from setting up for breakfast), right at the front of the ship (more movement etc) and so on.

You won't be upgraded from an inside to a deluxe balcony. Any upgrade you do get will probably be from one inside to another inside on a different deck. And, having ticked the 'upgrade' box you cannot refuse the upgrade if it is given to you.

Edited by FangedRose
  • Like 1

Yes, last December booked a forward inside, upgraded to a balcony with sofa deck G on Britannia.  Also booked another occasion a forward inside on Azura to be given a balcony and again on Azura booked last minute Caribbean inside and given a Deck C balcony.

On Cunard booked an inside as a single given a deck 1 outside with large window.  

Only downside ever experienced was a de luxe balcony last minute booking as a saver on Britannia when allocated a deck 15 mid forward. Dreadfully noisy from music parties on deck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, last December booked a forward inside, upgraded to a balcony with sofa deck G on Britannia.  Also booked another occasion a forward inside on Azura to be given a balcony and again on Azura booked last minute Caribbean inside and given a Deck C balcony.

On Cunard booked an inside as a single given a deck 1 outside with large window.  

Only downside ever experienced was a de luxe balcony last minute booking as a saver on Britannia when allocated a deck 15 mid forward. Dreadfully noisy from music parties on deck.

Megabear2  I would say you have been extremely lucky with your upgrades ,as have one or two others , when we naively started cruising we always ticked the upgrade box and never got anything, however with a bit of experience we soon learned of the possible pitfalls and now pick our cabin beforehand and stick with it , we have no problem been at the front and on the upper decks and as such we usually get the cabin of choice, only ever been offered an upgrade and that came at a cost of £600!!   

• Like 3

We do an awful lot of research in picking our cabin, never looked at inside cabins not our thing, apart from one short trip on Arcadia always had a balcony, so the chance of being upgraded will always pass us by.

First time P&O cruiser here (in a few weeks) and we left it ticked. If I’d read the threads on here beforehand I probably wouldn’t have!

We have booked a saver Deluxe Balcony cabin though so I’m thinking that there’s not really a risk, as we obviously won’t get upgraded to a suite and haven’t picked a cabin so can’t get moved to a different deck anyway. 

Am I right?!

1 hour ago, Malibustacey79 said:

First time P&O cruiser here (in a few weeks) and we left it ticked. If I’d read the threads on here beforehand I probably wouldn’t have!

We have booked a saver Deluxe Balcony cabin though so I’m thinking that there’s not really a risk, as we obviously won’t get upgraded to a suite and haven’t picked a cabin so can’t get moved to a different deck anyway. 

Am I right?!

Which ship are you on, and what grade of Deluxe cabin did you book ?

Albeit just over ten years ago, on our first cruise,  on Oriana, we had a brilliant upgrade to a midship balcony but these days we look at the deck plans, book a cabin, and tick no upgrades.

I think it's the luck of the draw, some upgrades are great, some are not.

We booked an inside cabin for T/A cruise on Aurora 2019. Chose one near the stern and was gutted to find at port that it had been changed by one digit. On investigation we found that we had been upgraded to a balcony nearby. We couldn't have afforded a month long cruise at balcony grade so will be ever grateful to the upgrade fairy that arranged that!😄

• Like 6

I've also done my fair share of research before choosing a cabin.   My one and only reason for ensuring I've not consented to it with any cruise line, not just P&O, is that when it comes to location, my idea of an upgrade will definitely not be the same as theirs.

2 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Azura, and the booking says Superior Deluxe Guarantee DE. No cabin allocated yet (and still can’t log into flights either!). We travel Oct 13th. 

Unlikely you would be upgraded to a suite, so really not much likelihood you would know whether it was an upgrade or just a.normal cabin allocation. About the only potential problem you have is being allocated a cabin on E deck, where you are above the Manhatten night club, and some suffer more noise intrusion than others.

3 hours ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Azura, and the booking says Superior Deluxe Guarantee DE. No cabin allocated yet (and still can’t log into flights either!). We travel Oct 13th. 

Those cabins are only on decks D and E, so whatever cabin you are assigned, even if upgraded to the highest grade, you will still be in a pretty good location.

eta - Good point from John about the nightclub.  

Edited by wowzz

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Unlikely you would be upgraded to a suite, so really not much likelihood you would know whether it was an upgrade or just a.normal cabin allocation. About the only potential problem you have is being allocated a cabin on E deck, where you are above the Manhatten night club, and some suffer more noise intrusion than others.

Thank you, that’s what I thought so glad to he reassured! We’re pretty easy pleased so hopefully will be fine.

If we sail with P&O again though (and on Select) I do think I’d untick the upgrade box after reading the forum posts about it…

1 minute ago, david63 said:

About the only time I would possibly consider a "free" upgrade would be if I was in the top grade of a category i.e. if I was in the top grade of outside then any upgrade would be to a balcony.

But you could be upgraded to a balcony under the lido deck ! Not a great location at all.

1 minute ago, Malibustacey79 said:

Thank you, that’s what I thought so glad to he reassured! We’re pretty easy pleased so hopefully will be fine.

If we sail with P&O again though (and on Select) I do think I’d untick the upgrade box after reading the forum posts about it…

That's a sensible position since once ships are running fairly full, then the cabins left available are generally less desirable ones.

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's a sensible position since once ships are running fairly full, then the cabins left available are generally less desirable ones.

Used to be but I wonder now with the ridiculous difference in saver and select fares.  I think less and less people will book select.

• Like 1