Hop on/off bus excursion: Only people from the ship?

fstuff1

If there's a Hop on/off bus excursion, is it exclusively for people on the ship?

or are we just given a ticket and told the nearest location where to board it?

(in which case buying directly from their website should be cheaper?)

We've done HO/HO bus where we bought the tickets through Celebrity and we're picked up at the ship and brought back to the ship. We did the HO/HO (trolley) in Key West but I believe we got on with riders not on our ship. Not 100% sure. We only bought through the cruise line because it was cheaper. I would definitely check out the website. We were just in KW and although we weren't interested in doing the trolley, just for kicks, I checked the rates for both the trolley and a Fury catamaran excursion and both were cheaper on their respective websites. 

The description gives you a clue,,it’s a Hop on/Hop off.

There could be 20 stops on the route,,the cruise terminal being one,people get on and off every stop.

The HoHo bus stop outside the terminal will be pay on the bus or a company rep will be selling tickets,,,,same at all the other stops.

Example…one of the best HoHo buses in my opinion is Barcelona,,there is probable 20 stops on 3 routes.people from all over the world getting off and on.

• Like 1

If it was only for the ship passengers it wouldn't be a hop on hop off, it would just be a bus trip with numerous stops.

HOHOs employ several buses spread out over their routes which have numerous stops. You get off at a stop you want, then catch the next bus that comes along when you are ready to continue. Depending on the city, there may be a HOHO at the terminal, or there may be a shuttle to take you to and from a specific stop.

2 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

We've done HO/HO bus where we bought the tickets through Celebrity and we're picked up at the ship and brought back to the ship. We did the HO/HO (trolley) in Key West but I believe we got on with riders not on our ship. Not 100% sure.

We only bought through the cruise line because it was cheaper.

HO/HO is cheaper from Celebrity than HOHO's website?!

i would have never imagined Celebrity being cheaper than buying directly from the vendor 😮

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

On my upcoming Celebrity Cruise, the Hop Off Hop On “so-called excursion” is sale priced with a 30% reduction so it is cheaper than the price on the HoHo bus website. I have OBC so would like to purchase through Celebrity.  However, it says the “excursion” starts at 10am while the HoHo website says the bus starts at 8:30am on that date.  Anyone have any experience booking the HoHo through Celebrity and being made to wait until later in the day to start using the pass? thanks…

32 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

On my upcoming Celebrity Cruise, the Hop Off Hop On “so-called excursion” is sale priced with a 30% reduction so it is cheaper than the price on the HoHo bus website. I have OBC so would like to purchase through Celebrity.  However, it says the “excursion” starts at 10am while the HoHo website says the bus starts at 8:30am on that date.  Anyone have any experience booking the HoHo through Celebrity and being made to wait until later in the day to start using the pass? thanks…

Again, it would help to know what port you are asking about. 

Just now, cruisestitch said:

Again, it would help to know what port you are asking about. 

Halifax, but was figuring this was a general question about how celebrity handles these HoHo passes anywhere.  But any help appreciated.  Ty

One problem I have seen with HOP ON HOP OFF buses is that when the bus hits its stop by the cruise terminal just after passengers are allowed to disembark the bus is over whelmed.  The bus may hold 50 and already be half full while another 50 just off the ship are at the pick up point. I have seen this happen in Palma.  If you already have your HOHO ticket either purchased on line direct or through X excursions you are invested and do not have the option of other transportation.  This said we have purchased the HOHO ticket for San Francisco on an up coming cruise because it is the cheapest way to get around this hilly city.  It is a steep climb from Fisherman's Wharf to Lombard street. I just wanted people to be ready for the bus pick up points to have a crowd so that they will not expect an empty bus to be waiting for their arrival.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:44 PM, Islander500 said:

Halifax, but was figuring this was a general question about how celebrity handles these HoHo passes anywhere.  But any help appreciated.  Ty

Depending on the port, the HoHo bus may have both a standard route and an extension of that route to the port - with the extension at different times than the main route.

38 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

MUNI is far cheaper.

Might be cheaper. But do they have open air upper deck. Does the bus have guide to tell us what we are seeing. Do they have multiple languages to choose from for ear buds.

On 8/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, mom says said:

If it was only for the ship passengers it wouldn't be a hop on hop off, it would just be a bus trip with numerous stops.

HOHOs employ several buses spread out over their routes which have numerous stops. You get off at a stop you want, then catch the next bus that comes along when you are ready to continue. Depending on the city, there may be a HOHO at the terminal, or there may be a shuttle to take you to and from a specific stop.

Not always true.  We did an American Queen Mississippi trip last summer.  The steamship company offers HO/HO trips for no charge at all stops.  The buses actually follow the boat -- but on land.  So they are only for passengers.  

We booked on Ho Ho bus in Marseille last August and it was empty when it came to the port to pick us up.

I suppose it wasn’t a true Ho Ho, as no one got off and there certainly weren’t stops where they picked passengers up.637172A9-5384-4397-97BA-4D3E00711E6E.thumb.jpeg.76546a249aaa34650c2e89090f95f470.jpeg

IMG_1428.thumb.jpeg.e60b8c0b239e895919740376e430dd71.jpeg

7B03B8F0-3E9E-4EDF-AB09-0AB3E4B65697.thumb.jpeg.6cb528da8790e74386de3436a42df7db.jpeg

B9FB2E04-546A-45BF-B1FB-906B84036F8A.thumb.jpeg.229ff7100b0343c601c03b76873c5037.jpeg
This was the only stop En route.

3FDBEA57-6D04-4C7B-B5C3-127ACA1384B0.thumb.jpeg.98894231775a011f5a8e92855804bf9b.jpeg

On 6/14/2023 at 7:09 PM, Islander500 said:

If Celebrity is only selling you a HoHo ticket - they may not hand it out until 10.  Also - not sure where you are referring to.  If it is in a port somewhere that the HoHo does not stop near the port itself, or you cannot walk from the port to the stop - maybe Celebrity is including a ride to the town or the nearest stop and that is at 10.  So this is difficult for people to answer.  If you are provided a ticket in advance (day prior or at 8:30 AM) - there is probably no reason you would be made to wait until 10 unless some other logistics are involved.