Famous celebrities you have met on cruises?

George C

Ran into Shirley Jones on a ncl ship she was very pleasant some almost 4 decades ago, Ralph Waite spent most of his time at the bar about the same time ago. Hockey great Phil Espistito super friendly on a cruise in the late 1970’s , football great Doug Flutie seemed to be a great guy a little over a decade ago. On my music charters we talked to both members of America,  Rita Coolidge and Maria Molder both very friendly among many others . I sure I left out a few. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Ran into Shirley Jones on a ncl ship she was very pleasant some almost 4 decades ago, Ralph Waite spent most of his time at the bar about the same time ago. Hockey great Phil Espistito super friendly on a cruise in the late 1970’s , football great Doug Flutie seemed to be a great guy a little over a decade ago. On my music charters we talked to both members of America,  Rita Coolidge and Maria Molder both very friendly among many others . I sure I left out a few. 

Maria Muldaur?

Jim Nabors a very long time ago is my only claim, at least on a cruise, that is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Maria Muldaur?

Jim Nabors a very long time ago is my only claim, at least on a cruise, that is.

Sorry you are correct , we saw her earlier this year on a cruise , always loved the song “midnight at the Oasis “ , she hung around a talked to everyone, got a picture of us together. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George C said:

This is a fun topic, George.  Thanks for starting it and sharing your stories.  And thanks also to @CruiserBrucefor sharing.  My post, by comparison, is going to be longer and offer less content.  But it might be interesting anyway.  Here goes:

• I don't, in general, have the inclination to get close to celebrities, which is why these stories are going to seem so lame.  
  • I haven't done any inaugural sailings or anything like that, and I tend to choose cruises that celebrities wouldn't flock to.  The most famous person I know I've sailed with is probably that rock star Captain Kate McCue.  I'm sure I could have met her at the regular meet & greet, but I didn't.  See the first bullet point above.  I never saw her around the ship, but I did hear her announcements.
  • I did a couple of music charter cruises (not the same ones as @George C, alas ☹️) earlier this year.  Some of the performers were bigger names than others.  I had impressively close seats to the stage at some of the shows - like 6th row center.  Ticketmaster would charge an arm and a leg for those.  Anyway, the shows were as close as I got to the vast majority of them.
  • I thought I saw the lead singer for the band Cameo around the ship on one of my music charters, but I could have been mistaken
  • Belinda Carlisle did a Q&A and she did some autograph signing after the session.  I didn't partake, but maybe I should have, because I found out later that my coworker is one of her biggest fans.
  • Interactions were limited on this year's music charter cruises because of you-know-what.  I'm doing two more music charters next year, and we'll see how close I can get (if I choose to at all).
  • Leaving the cruise ships... I once saw Ed "Too Tall" Jones playing craps at the Reno Peppermill.  That was a while ago.
  • Even longer ago, back when I was in college, I was at a rally where the wife of a fringe presidential candidate was speaking.  I was pretty close to her, but there was no personal interaction that I can recall.  Anyway, both she and he became a lot more famous now than they were then.
  • I got an autograph of (redacted, nobody cares), a baseball player that I admired at the time.  I think I paid a few bucks for it at a card show.
  • Probably the celebrity meeting that left the biggest impression on me was the time I met local reporter/newsreader (redacted, nobody cares) on location.  I remember talking to her while controlling my emotions.  Neither she nor I said anything I can recall today, but it was a long time ago.  
  • Like 1

My only close encounter with a semi-famous person was Paul Burrell (Princess Diana’s former butler) on a Celebrity cruise. He was on a book promotion tour and having a honeymoon.  He mostly kept his head down, but did appear one night with the new husband in the Martini Bar, and bought a huge flight of 36 martinis to share around. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

This is a fun topic, George.  Thanks for starting it and sharing your stories.  And thanks also to @CruiserBrucefor sharing.  My post, by comparison, is going to be longer and offer less content.  But it might be interesting anyway.  Here goes:

• I don't, in general, have the inclination to get close to celebrities, which is why these stories are going to seem so lame.  
  • I haven't done any inaugural sailings or anything like that, and I tend to choose cruises that celebrities wouldn't flock to.  The most famous person I know I've sailed with is probably that rock star Captain Kate McCue.  I'm sure I could have met her at the regular meet & greet, but I didn't.  See the first bullet point above.  I never saw her around the ship, but I did hear her announcements.
  • I did a couple of music charter cruises (not the same ones as @George C, alas ☹️) earlier this year.  Some of the performers were bigger names than others.  I had impressively close seats to the stage at some of the shows - like 6th row center.  Ticketmaster would charge an arm and a leg for those.  Anyway, the shows were as close as I got to the vast majority of them.
  • I thought I saw the lead singer for the band Cameo around the ship on one of my music charters, but I could have been mistaken
  • Belinda Carlisle did a Q&A and she did some autograph signing after the session.  I didn't partake, but maybe I should have, because I found out later that my coworker is one of her biggest fans.
  • Interactions were limited on this year's music charter cruises because of you-know-what.  I'm doing two more music charters next year, and we'll see how close I can get (if I choose to at all).
  • Leaving the cruise ships... I once saw Ed "Too Tall" Jones playing craps at the Reno Peppermill.  That was a while ago.
  • Even longer ago, back when I was in college, I was at a rally where the wife of a fringe presidential candidate was speaking.  I was pretty close to her, but there was no personal interaction that I can recall.  Anyway, both she and he became a lot more famous now than they were then.
  • I got an autograph of (redacted, nobody cares), a baseball player that I admired at the time.  I think I paid a few bucks for it at a card show.
  • Probably the celebrity meeting that left the biggest impression on me was the time I met local reporter/newsreader (redacted, nobody cares) on location.  I remember talking to her while controlling my emotions.  Neither she nor I said anything I can recall today, but it was a long time ago.  

I have a picture of me with Too Tall Jones , I have seen him a few times in local bars in the Dallas area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

Kenneth Wolstenholme the football commentator, and Tony Alcock the bowler.  Both friendly people to get along with.

I suspect 99.9% of posters on here will have no idea who you are talking about !  😁

Heck, I'm a "elderly " Brit, and I had to Google Tony Alcock ! I assumed he was a cricketer. To say he is famous or a celebrity is pushing the envelope !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

No one on a cruise,  but since i've worked the Front Desk at multiple hotels where celebs vacation and politicos hold fundraisers and Sundance holds their festival, I've met plenty.  i'll drop a few names:  Sen. Mark Kelly and his wife Gabby Giffords, Sen. Ted Cruz and Tom Carpenter,  Justices Thomas and Scalia, "Bennifer", matthew mcconahey,  Snoop Dogg, Ryan Reynolds & Blake lively, Lady Gaga, Lyle Lovett.

It does get hard at times to remain calm and professional.  These people get fawned over all time and I want to try my best to treat them like "normal" people.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Nobody famous on cruises but I have met the following :LaToya Jackson,William Shatner,Tony Sirico,Barbra Streisand,Elliot Gould,Boog

Powell,Tom Seaver,Frank Tepedino,Barbara Boxer,Chuck Schumer,Donald Trump,Holly Lipton ,Rudy Giuliani and Jackie Mason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a picture of me with a former POTUS

No POTUS but I did meet the Canadian Prime Minister once. Not the current one, but his dad way back when dad was the PM. Also met Jr's mother a couple of years ago. Impressive lady. 

Also met Shatner years ago when I was a kid. He was filming some Cop show near our house and I got his autograph. 

I've met lots of other sports celebs but they were mostly from from hockey and Canadian football so most are not international celebrities. The most famous would have to be Wayne Gretzky his dad Walter. I did get to meet my childhood idol, Jonny Bower (Maple Leafs goalie great!) before his passing a few years ago. He didn't disappoint!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

Only one, but it was great fun.  An RCCL Holiday Cruise through the Panama Canal.  The cruise director was one of those 'hysterical types' who would get overly excited when the sun came up.  One night we're in the theatre and he takes the stage and he goes on about our NYE celebrity tomorrow, he is so excited he can hardly get the words out.  He goes on and on and on.  Finally he yells "Charo, Charo will be here for NYE"!  I don't think anyone was uncivilized enough to groan, but nobody cheered either. 

WELL, let me tell you ... the next night Charo rolled down the aisle in a pink sequined full-length sheath and dyed-to-match stilleto heels, singing something or other ... she was 74.  She's a classically-trained guitarist and incredibly talented.  Everyone just enjoyed her whole show immensely. 

Next day, I'm walking along with a friend, we're both about 6' tall.  Charo is 'over there' signing autographs, there's a huge line of people waiting.  Donna and I were just kinda standing there bemused, when Charo gets up and says she needs a little break.  She's about 4'll" maybe WITH her heels.  She turns toward us, and I just lean in a little to tell her how very much we enjoyed her show and she grabs me, chattering away, "we must take the picture, yes, yes, we must check our hair to be sure it's good ... because we don't want to look like sheeeet in the photo."  She stands between us, someone takes a photo and we're just overwhelmed with laughter.  Donna and I were both completely sincere in our praise of her talent, so it was a sweet moment ... I'll always remember Charo with great fondness AND admiration. 

Edited by jsn55
add an adjective
  • Like 8

In 2019 my friend and I accidentally found ourselves on a San Francisco 49ers cruise on Ruby Princess. I don’t watch team sports. I have brothers and a father who passionately follow team sports but I never pay it any attention. So we ignored all that was happening around us and kind of chuckled at finding ourselves surrounded by all these fans and some players. We were sitting in Crooners bar having a pre-dinner martini. You know how on TV shows or a movie  when the foxy lady or gentleman walks in like they’re on the catwalk and the show plays music that they strut to? Well I swear I heard (imaginary) strutting music as 2 GORGEOUS couples, dressed BEAUTIFULLY glided in and sat at the bar. My girlfriend says “that’s Jerry Rice”. They were dressed stunningly and the women wore very sparkly jewelry. I asked her how she knew, as I didn’t think she followed sports either. “He’s on Dancing With the Stars” she said! I don’t watch that either. I still had some clarifying to do…. SF 49ers… that’s football, right? We had a good chuckle. I felt a bit sad as they were interrupted several times for autographs. When we got back to the room I had fun looking him up on Wikipedia. Oh! He looked mighty preserved considering he was 57! And, now I know who he is!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have a picture taken with a likeness of Michael Jordan in a wax museum.

My other is a pic with a lifelike cut-out of  Shaq in a department store (he was the taller of the two of us).  

I have bumped into a few actual "alive" celebrities.  I suppose if they are famous then they are also celebrities!  😀

Another encounter I recall that wasn't on a cruise ship... I had a pre-show meet & greet with comedian Rita Rudner.  She was a sweetheart and I got some really spectacular photos with her.  Of course, I paid for them. 🤑  I'm tempted to scan and upload them, but I'll save them for George for conversation fodder when we meet up.