UNSUPERVISED Testing Embarkation Process Experience

mickeychicky

Now that we've reached the date where unsupervised testing is accepted to board, it would be nice to get actual feedback on how the process is going so that others don't make the same mistakes, if there were any. 

Did the employees at check in know what they were doing? 

Anyone use the name, date and negative test result on a piece of paper option with a photo?

Please add your experience with your embarkation port.

Edited by mickeychicky
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Ok, I feel like I'm totally out of the loop. I was under the firm impression that NO testing was required to board the ship....only show your vax card, and other usual boarding docs. Am I mistaken? 

Unvaccinated guests still have to test.

• Like 2

So we have a little situation with our group and I THOUGHT about doing it this way, and then decided against it.  I still have some Emed proctored test left we don't need now, and we are going to use one of those instead just to be safe.  We sail this weekend, and didn't want to deal with the hassle at the port if they didn't know what the new rules are.  Not that much harder to do proctored test so better safe than sorry - will have "official" report of negative.

Worst part is we are testing a fully (double boosted and everything) person just as a Back Up to our back up lol!

Brothers new girlfriends vaxx card is in her married name (she just got divorced), hospital told her it could take 6-8 weeks to get a new corrected card.  She already changed her ID's back to her maiden name so now her vax card doesn't match her ID.  So, I told her to bring her marriage license that shows her maiden name prior to marrying and the name of the guy she married (last name on her vax card).  BUT just to be extra, extra safe we would test her too!  That way if they refuse to accept the documents and that the vax card is really her she can still board with the negative covid test like an unvaxxed person can.

Nothing worse then being told NOPE can't board, so we will throw everything at them if we have to.  LOL.

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, wemjam said:

So we have a little situation with our group and I THOUGHT about doing it this way, and then decided against it.  I still have some Emed proctored test left we don't need now, and we are going to use one of those instead just to be safe.  We sail this weekend, and didn't want to deal with the hassle at the port if they didn't know what the new rules are.  Not that much harder to do proctored test so better safe than sorry - will have "official" report of negative.

Worst part is we are testing a fully (double boosted and everything) person just as a Back Up to our back up lol!

Brothers new girlfriends vaxx card is in her married name (she just got divorced), hospital told her it could take 6-8 weeks to get a new corrected card.  She already changed her ID's back to her maiden name so now her vax card doesn't match her ID.  So, I told her to bring her marriage license that shows her maiden name prior to marrying and the name of the guy she married (last name on her vax card).  BUT just to be extra, extra safe we would test her too!  That way if they refuse to accept the documents and that the vax card is really her she can still board with the negative covid test like an unvaxxed person can.

Nothing worse then being told NOPE can't board, so we will throw everything at them if we have to.  LOL.

The proctored test is the exact same as the self test

47 minutes ago, notplatinum said:

NO not exactly.  There is a big difference between me writing my name on a piece of paper and taking a picture of a test  - and having a lab report that says it was done and supervised.  The latter being what Carnival employees are used to seeing all the time up until right now.  I would NOT be at all surprised if someone shows up in the next few days with a picture of a test on their phone and are told that won't work and it turns in to a big to-do. 

Dissemination of information to employees is not always Carnival's strong suit.  Agents have actually told me two different times now on two different cruises I did NOT have to do the Health Assertation 3-days prior to boarding when I called to say I needed help because it wasn't showing up in my booking to do it.  Wasn't until I pushed back that they contacted web support and low and behold it showed up.  Pretty bad when the guests know more than the employees do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Why are you calling when the information is on the website and you apparently already knew the answer? Just a waste of everyone's time and keeps the phone line waits long for people who actually need to call.

As I stated if you read my post...because it wasn't in my booking.  I can't do what isn't there, even though I knew I needed to.

I was told by the agent, you don't have to do that, that is why it isn't there.  Then when I said, NO, I know I have to do it she got technical on the phone.  They had to do something to my booking so it would show up - so I COULD do it!  

That is why I called, they had to fix a computer problem on their end!

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, wemjam said:

As I stated if you read the post.... because it wasn't in my booking.  I can't do what isn't there, even though I knew I needed to.

I was told by the agent, you don't have to do that, that is why it isn't there.  Then when I said, NO, I know I have to do it she got technical on the phone.  They had to do something to my booking so it would show up - so I COULD do it!  

That is why I called, they had to fix a computer problem on their end!

That's what I get for jumping to conclusions...open mouth, insert foot. Apologies.

• Like 4

This is the first week with no testing required if fully vaxxed. We are cruising on Saturday and hope the staff is now aware of the recent change. I printed up the page from Carnival's website stating no test required for fully vaxxed.Ours will be the first 7 day cruise that doesn't require the test.

• Like 2

Well, a family showed up to our cruise last Thursday with no vaccine cards and no testing, I guess mistakenly believing it already started and they were allowed to board anyway. I think there was a language barrier but after a few min of frustration by the agent asking over and over, they just let them through lol. It happened right in front of me at the next check-in station over. It was a unique situation and I was glad they were able to board, I saw them a short time later at final check-in.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

Brothers new girlfriends vaxx card is in her married name (she just got divorced), hospital told her it could take 6-8 weeks to get a new corrected card.  She already changed her ID's back to her maiden name so now her vax card doesn't match her ID.  So, I told her to bring her marriage license that shows her maiden name prior to marrying and the name of the guy she married (last name on her vax card). 

What she needs is linking documentation: Marriage license, divorce decree and the document that shows the legal change of name back to her birth name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

What she needs is linking documentation: Marriage license, divorce decree and the document that shows the legal change of name back to her birth name.

I don't know why she would need a "document" showing her name change.  Her driver's license she will be using matches her birth certificate (they don't have passport and will be using this as their docs).  That is all the documents as far as what her name is now, she should need.

She didn't want to carry 15 different docs and her entire divorce agreement, so we figured if the marriage license doesn't work  -  which shows her name on her license and birth certificate and is only one extra sheet to carry... the Covid Test Document will!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notplatinum said:

The test might be the same but the process is different because it is supervised.  Same steps, just the fact that someone is watching YOU take the test, not your dog.

Edited by mickeychicky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

The test might be the same but the process is different because it is supervised.  Same steps, just the fact that someone is watching YOU take the test, not your dog.

The process is the same. The test is the same. Many of these test are giving false positives. Just because someone watches you does not change anything.

17 hours ago, wemjam said:

NO not exactly.  There is a big difference between me writing my name on a piece of paper and taking a picture of a test  - and having a lab report that says it was done and supervised.  The latter being what Carnival employees are used to seeing all the time up until right now.  I would NOT be at all surprised if someone shows up in the next few days with a picture of a test on their phone and are told that won't work and it turns in to a big to-do. 

Dissemination of information to employees is not always Carnival's strong suit.  Agents have actually told me two different times now on two different cruises I did NOT have to do the Health Assertation 3-days prior to boarding when I called to say I needed help because it wasn't showing up in my booking to do it.  Wasn't until I pushed back that they contacted web support and low and behold it showed up.  Pretty bad when the guests know more than the employees do.

You can call them 5 different times and get 5 different answers.

• Like 2

Yes, I have been waiting for this also. This week a person should be able to just show up with a picture of a self test and board, but staff at the terminal have been a mess when it comes to actually following the rules over the years. But it says right here on your website. We don't care what it says. 

50 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Yes, I have been waiting for this also. This week a person should be able to just show up with a picture of a self test and board, but staff at the terminal have been a mess when it comes to actually following the rules over the years. But it says right here on your website. We don't care what it says. 

I've not had that experience yet thankfully, power-hungry pier employees I mean.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wemjam said:

I would treat this with bridging documents. My wife's birth certificate has maiden name, license has married, vax card has married. so we bring our marriage license ( not the certificate, the actual license) Now, we have never been questioned at all, but always good to bring more supporting documentation then needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asalligo said:

I don't even know why they bother with unproctored tests.  You could be positive and just get a friend to take the test for you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolft927 said:

I would treat this with bridging documents. My wife's birth certificate has maiden name, license has married, vax card has married. so we bring our marriage license ( not the certificate, the actual license) Now, we have never been questioned at all, but always good to bring more supporting documentation then needed. 

In your case though your wifes name on her license does not match her birth certificate.  In our case it does... it is the vax card that is different, it is in her married name when her ID and birth certificate are both in her maiden name.  Since the marriage license we are bringing has her maiden name (which the divorce agreement won't),  we are hoping that is enough of a bridge document.  Either way if not, we will have the negative proctored Covid test which would allow her on even if she wasn't vaxxed and they won't accept her proof she is.  Better safe than sorry.