Coastal Kitchen Questions

slyster

I am super excited.  We have booked a GS on Allure next year and this is our second cruise in a suite (Radiance 5 years ago).  I have some questions about Coastal Kitchen:

1. Do they require reservations?

2.  Do you find your own seat or do they seat you themselves?

3.  Can you explain the breakfast set up?  Is it a buffet or do you order from a menu?  I would love to have made to order omelette.

4.  Is there a suggested dress code throughout the day? Especially dinner?  On par with the MDR?

5.  Anything else that makes CK unique to other dining venues on the ship?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Yes, concierge will email you for preferences about a week out,

2. They seat you,

3. Menu, no buffet,

4.  Par with main dining room. Def no shorts at night,

5. Food is more on par with specialty restaurants, service is excellent.  Filet night, usually first one, isn’t to be missed.  View is great. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

4.  Par with main dining room. Def no shorts at night,

5. Food is more on par with specialty restaurants, service is excellent.  Filet night, usually first one, isn’t to be missed.  View is great. 

4. I saw shorts at night on Harmony a few months ago, just like I see in the MDR.

5. Agree about the night one filet, it was excellent, but the rest of the dinners were only slightly better than the MDR (if that) IMO, not specialty restaurant quality.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Food is more on par with specialty restaurants, service is excellent.  Filet night, usually first one, isn’t to be missed.  View is great. 

Ask for extra of the truffle mashed potatoes.  Yum!!! :classic_love:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

4. I saw shorts at night on Harmony a few months ago, just like I see in the MDR.

We have, on two separate cruises, seen a man asked to change into slacks. 🤷🏻‍♀️ YMMV. 

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We sailed last week on Oasis and saw many men with nice shorts in CK.

1st night, filet, is the best.  Dinner is same or slightly better than MDR.   

I thought you only went to CK on first night and skipped it the rest of the week because of bad service?  

Just now, slyster said:

Are reservations only needed for dinner?

Yes, you can make reservations before you sail once the concierge contacts you about a week before your sailing.  Breakfast and lunch have no reservations.  We enjoy breakfast in CK a lot.  It is so much better than either the MDR or WJ.  Lunch is okay.  We don't tend to go there for every lunch as the menu is repetitive.  

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, you can make reservations before you sail once the concierge contacts you about a week before your sailing.  Breakfast and lunch have no reservations.  We enjoy breakfast in CK a lot.  It is so much better than either the MDR or WJ.  Lunch is okay.  We don't tend to go there for every lunch as the menu is repetitive.  

Do they have made-to-order omelets in CK?  I was going to check out wipe out cafe if WJ was crowded.

24 minutes ago, slyster said:

Do they have made-to-order omelets in CK?  I was going to check out wipe out cafe if WJ was crowded.

You can view the menus in the app. Choose the current sailing if yours doesn't have the menus loaded.

Hubby & son wore nice shorts each night we ate at CK.  No one batted an eye.  And filet night on our cruise was not good.  Filet was overcooked and had a very off putting taste. I did not finish mine.  We were not all that impressed with CK.  Food was on par with MDR and the waiter was kinda snooty.  

Edited by poocher
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, poocher said:

Hubby & son wore nice shorts each night we ate at CK.  No one batted an eye.  And filet night on our cruise was not good.  Filet was overcooked and had a very off putting taste. I did not finish mine.  We were not all that impressed with CK.  Food was on par with MDR and the waiter was kinda snooty.  

I had the same problem with my filet...but I did ask for another one...and it was perfect. Did you ask for another filet?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slyster said:

I am super excited.  We have booked a GS on Allure next year and this is our second cruise in a suite (Radiance 5 years ago).  I have some questions about Coastal Kitchen:

3.  Can you explain the breakfast set up?  Is it a buffet or do you order from a menu?  I would love to have made to order omelette.

4.  Is there a suggested dress code throughout the day? Especially dinner?  On par with the MDR?

Dress the same as you would mdr.   

I get an omelette every morning of our cruises.  Order it with whatever you want.   

The CK on  Allure is great.  Ask for a window seat if possible.  The views are

the best of any restaurant on the ship.  That is the best part.  Also, you can always walk to the other side of the space (the suite lounge side) and grab quick service items (it is a continental spread).  We usually have a sit down meal but grab a few items (like fruit cup) for the kids while waiting for our food to come out.  

Also, the bar is open 11-11.  Free beer and wine as well as bottled water and soda.   You can grab and go.   Happy hour it is free full bar (3 hours long but can’t remember exact hours).  

8 hours ago, slyster said:

Yes, they will make it anyway you want. They also will cook eggs to order too. If there is anything you want that isn’t listed, just ask. I always get eggs over easy with sliced avocado and wheat toast so I can make avocado toast. Never an issue on any of the ships we have eaten in CK. 

Breakfast does have a area that you can get pastries, waiter can also bring them . I liked breakfast and lunch in CK dinner was just ok , after two meals we had dinner in specialty restaurants. Celebrity has a far superior suite dining room.

• Like 4

Seldom made a RSVP except when we had a show we wanted to go see.  Most nights we just went up for a cocktail in SL and would ask the server what times were open for dinner.  Most times after 7:30 was wide open as most people came early for free cocktails, ate early, and left.  We much prefer to eat later and take our time.  Don't think I ever wore shorts for dinner usually slacks and collared shirt.  Don't recall a buffet breakfast, but then again we aren't much for breakfast people; usually order room service.    

21 minutes ago, George C said:

Breakfast does have a area that you can get pastries, waiter can also bring them . I liked breakfast and lunch in CK dinner was just ok , after two meals we had dinner in specialty restaurants. Celebrity has a far superior suite dining room.

I need to put you in touch with my DH and convince him to try Celebrity. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd put CK dinner half-way between the MDR and a specialty restaurant.  It's nice having the Suite Lounge right there.  You can get a drink in the SL before dinner and then wander over to CK at your reservation time.  Drinks are free during dinner, likely because of the SL proximity (at least in my experience...never been charged or used a voucher).

• Like 4

22 hours ago, slyster said:

Reservations are required for dinner.  The concierge will email you about 5 days before the cruise.  Just email them back with your preferred dinner times.

You check in with the maitre d for all meals.  They will seat you.

There is no buffet.  You order off the menu.  They have a made to order omelette with many additions.  Ask for what you want.

Shorts and polos for men during the day.  Suggested long pants for men at night.  Women should (and do) dress smart casual.  My husband wore shorts and polo shirt for dinner a couple of nights with no problem.  First night, late port nights, and last night trend a bit more casual.

It is an intimate and relaxing venue where you get to know your waitstaff.  We love it.  The first night filet is a must.  We also like the lobster/rack of lamb night.  Sometimes lost in the shuffle is the veal chop night.  Amazing.  Shush 😉, don't tell anyone.  It is usually on the last night.     

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

It is an intimate and relaxing venue where you get to know your waitstaff.  We love it.  The first night filet is a must.  We also like the lobster/rack of lamb night.  Sometimes lost in the shuffle is the veal chop night.  Amazing.  Shush 😉, don't tell anyone.  It is usually on the last night.     

Great answers, thank you! Question - would you know if the lobster is the same quality as the MDR lobster? Last time in the MDR my lobster was mushy. 😞

9 minutes ago, Bushdog said:

Great answers, thank you! Question - would you know if the lobster is the same quality as the MDR lobster? Last time in the MDR my lobster was mushy. 😞

I have had the MDR grilled version in CK, but actually prefer their poached version.  It was tender and tasty.  Truth be told, I order a lot on that night.  It has many of my favorites.  I get the scallop entree as a starter.  Yum!  I order rack of lamb with lobster as a side.  They will bring you as much lobster as you want.  For me, it just happens that a lot of what I want is on that particular night.  I have asked for what I want and they always oblige!

12 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I have had the MDR grilled version in CK, but actually prefer their poached version.  It was tender and tasty.  Truth be told, I order a lot on that night.  It has many of my favorites.  I get the scallop entree as a starter.  Yum!  I order rack of lamb with lobster as a side.  They will bring you as much lobster as you want.  For me, it just happens that a lot of what I want is on that particular night.  I have asked for what I want and they always oblige!

Sounds great! I'm not a huge lamb fan (but my Wife is) and I'm fairly certain she's going to replicate your order. So - thank you! 🙂

• Like 1