The return of the Butler

Stu UK

3 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Currently on Beyond. The Personal Retreat Hosts are no longer. The Butlers have returned 👏

After I have spent so much effort trying to refer to PRH rather than saying butler in posts!

Makes sense.

Hope you are enjoying a great cruise!

I don’t care what they called them I still referred to them as the butler.   I think Butlers like being referred to as Butler.   It is a profession with a lot of pride and tradition.

It would be the same as renaming the Captain  to be the Ship Manager.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There have been a lot of job title changes in the land based hospitality industry over the past 40 years

Maid is now Room attendant 

The Houseman is now a Houseperson

Waiter and Waitress are now Servers. 

The maintenance dept is now the engineering department. 

Front desk clerk is now Front desk agent 

Bellhop to Bellman to Bellperson 

Hostesses are now Hosts

Security guard is now Security Agent

there are other changes too 

I always thought someone with a job title “Butler” has gone through rigorous butler training and they’ve earned the title with respect. Maybe I’m influenced by watching Batman as a kid in the 60’s and my first exposure to a butler was Alfred. That’s who I picture when I hear the term. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

"The maintenance dept is now the engineering department"  This one took me awhile to get through my skull.

We are at a hotel and asked to have maintenance come change our AC filters, the response “we will send engineering right up”

And, happy for the PRH title being gone, to me when someone “hosts” you, they pay 😂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Maybe I’m influenced by watching Batman as a kid in the 60’s and my first exposure to a butler was Alfred. That’s who I picture when I hear the term. 

Don't knock Alfred. Not only was he a loyal and discreet aide to Batman and Robin but he also was responsible for the day to day needs of stately Wayne Manor. And his experience as a trained thespian allowed him to get out of the cave and help out the Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder on more than one occasion. And he sure knew how to keep a secret-Batgirl's identity was safe with him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

Don't knock Alfred. Not only was he a loyal and discreet aide to Batman and Robin but he also was responsible for the day to day needs of stately Wayne Manor. And his experience as a trained thespian allowed him to get out of the cave and help out the Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder on more than one occasion. And he sure knew how to keep a secret-Batgirl's identity was safe with him.

Hey!  I didn't knock Alfred!  I love Alfred! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mfs2k said:

There have been a lot of job title changes in the land based hospitality industry over the past 40 years

Maid is now Room attendant 

The Houseman is now a Houseperson

Waiter and Waitress are now Servers. 

The maintenance dept is now the engineering department. 

Front desk clerk is now Front desk agent 

Bellhop to Bellman to Bellperson 

Hostesses are now Hosts

Security guard is now Security Agent

there are other changes too 

I always thought someone with a job title “Butler” has gone through rigorous butler training and they’ve earned the title with respect. Maybe I’m influenced by watching Batman as a kid in the 60’s and my first exposure to a butler was Alfred. That’s who I picture when I hear the term. 

Front desk clerks are actually now referred to as "Guest Service Representatives"  but Security Guards are still called Guards not agents......  at least at the hotel I manage.....

I'm glad for the return of the Butler..... I thought the title of "Retreat Host"  sounded ridiculous.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Front desk clerks are actually now referred to as "Guest Service Representatives"  but Security Guards are still called Guards not agents......  at least at the hotel I manage.....

I'm glad for the return of the Butler..... I thought the title of "Retreat Host"  sounded ridiculous.

I agree. The butler has always been the butler to me no matter what the marketing dudes decide to call him/her. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree. The butler has always been the butler to me no matter what the marketing dudes decide to call him/her. 

Happy Cruiser (Linda to her friends) and I had a fantastic butler (Alex) on Summit's repositioning last spring.  He never called himself a host.  He was the butler, and a great one.   BTW we weren't roomies, just down the hall from each other.  Hope all is well, Linda.

Edited by marieps