QE II (NOT the Ship)

Steelers36

I realize this forum is about cruising, but Princess Cruise Lines has had a long history with the UK and of course we see many Brit's travel on Princess, as well as Aussies, Kiwis, and Canucks. 

Queen Elizabeth was Queen before I was born and has been a constant all of my life.  Her legacy is unmatched and I doubt future generations will ever see this happen for a long long time.  I do hope that young children are taught about the Queen and her life for a long time to come.  No matter what anyone thinks of the Monarchy, how can you have anything but admiration and respect for this woman? 

My condolences to all of our UK friends that belong to Cruise Critic.  I am sure you feel the loss most of all.  Hope you have a great remembrance of her life in the days to come.  You certainly gave her a grand celebration of 70 years on the throne earlier this year.  No one does it up quite like England.  We'll be watching.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I realize this forum is about cruising, but Princess Cruise Lines has had a long history with the UK and of course we see many Brit's travel on Princess, as well as Aussies, Kiwis, and Canucks. 

Queen Elizabeth was Queen before I was born and has been a constant all of my life.  Her legacy is unmatched and I doubt future generations will ever see this happen for a long long time.  I do hope that young children are taught about the Queen and her life for a long time to come.  No matter what anyone thinks of the Monarchy, how can you have anything but admiration and respect for this woman? 

My condolences to all of our UK friends that belong to Cruise Critic.  I am sure you feel the loss most of all.  Hope you have a great remembrance of her life in the days to come.  You certainly gave her a grand celebration of 70 years on the throne earlier this year.  No one does it up quite like England.  We'll be watching.

She was also Queen of Canada.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

HRM Elizabeth II has been the monarch of the British Commonwealth for most of my life as well.
Today, the world mourns with the British Commonwealth, as her passing is a loss to the entire world.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thank you for your message

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

British Commonwealth.  Which does indeed include Canada.

15 of the Commonwealth Countries she was actually Queen of, of which Canada was one, also includes Australia and New Zealand. Other Commonwealth Countries she was not Head of State . 

A very sad loss for the Country and the whole world. RIP Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11.

God Save the King

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Amen.  Our condolences also. We have grown up knowing this beautiful Queen with such a big heart and grace.  She’s loved and admired all over the world.

Our hearts go out to all of you and may she rest in peace.  We’ll be with you in spirit over the next days of mourning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dog said:

Are you sure?

you might like to look up the correct information 

The original poster is correct.  There are several Commonwealth countries where the Queen was not head of state.  India and South Africa are republics, as are several Caribbean nations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amajaa said:

15 of the Commonwealth Countries she was actually Queen of, of which Canada was one, also includes Australia and New Zealand. Other Commonwealth Countries she was not Head of State . 

A very sad loss for the Country and the whole world. RIP Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11.

God Save the King

1 hour ago, dog said:

Are you sure?

you might like to look up the correct information 

1 hour ago, ElmaLee said:

The original poster is correct.  There are several Commonwealth countries where the Queen was not head of state.  India and South Africa are republics, as are several Caribbean nations.

There was no purpose to exclude countries, nor to be inclusive of all Commonwealth.  I decided to include the larger countries where I see CC Members participate from on the Princess forum. 

Although about 54 countries are members of the Commonwealth, the Monarch is not the Head of State for all of them as pointed out above.  That said, the Queen/King is the head of state for more countries than Canada, Australia and New Zealand  in terms of the Commonwealth.

Note that the Head of the Commonwealth is not the same as Head of State. 

ETA:  Not going to look them up to get a list, but some of the Caribbean island do have the Monarch as Head of State, but others do not any longer.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

.That said, the Queen/King is the head of state for more countries than Canada, Australia and New Zealand  in terms of the Commonwealth.

That is correct as I said in my post above she was Monach/Head of State in 15 Countries, sorry I just didn't list them all only the ones I thought Princess cruisers might be from.   As it King Charles III now. God save the King 

P.S. I have just looked it up and I was correct, from Wikipedia

There are 15 Commonwealth realms: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, and the United Kingdom. All are members of the Commonwealth, an intergovernmental organisation of 56 independent member states, 52 of which were formerly territories held as part of the British Empire. All Commonwealth members are independent sovereign states, whether they are Commonwealth realms or not. King Charles III serves as the Head of the Commonwealth, an office which is recognised by the member states of the Commonwealth as the "symbol of their free association".

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Charles has some mighty big shoes to fill...

He does, but I believe he’ll do a wonderful job. 

I’ve been glued to the news and moved to tears more than once since the announcement yesterday. My deepest condolences to all those who have enjoyed her leadership. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’ve been glued to the news and moved to tears more than once since the announcement yesterday. My deepest condolences to all those who have enjoyed her leadership. 

Woke up this morning for the first time without our Queen and felt a little adrift. Everyone I spoke to in my work calls today was affected by the sad news. My other half and I have sobbed a few times, when they showed the Paddington Bear sketch with the Queen; when King Charles III delivered his first speech tonight. But also laughed listening to memories of people's encounters with her. We will never see her kind again.

Edited by dides
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s crazy!  I wonder which planet they came from?  😆

I can see it happening if she was dressed in "everyday" clothing and her typical kerchief.  Not sure if she wore sunglasses when out quietly.  I have heard she would sometimes show up in the nearby village.  That said, it does require a bit of suspension of belief when the tourists did not twig onto it after hearing she lived in London and had been coming up for 80 some years.  It has to be August as well and the tourist had some knowledge as they must have known about Balmoral in the area.  Anyway, a well-told funny story.

• Like 3

A story for the Brits on the board (apologies to everyone else who might not know about the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme) That reminds me of when my parents went to Balmoral a few years ago and did a tour of the grounds with one of the estate staff. He told a story about being out on a carriage ride with Prince Philip in the pouring rain when they came across a group of teenagers with backpacks etc.They stopped the carriage and asked what the youngsters were doing… the reply was “we’re doing the bl**dy Duke of Edinburgh’s Award” not knowing that they were talking to the Duke of Edinburgh! 

• Haha 6