Boarding Day Strategy for Speciality Dining Bookings

Li_Ras

Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller 🙂

We have a transpacific cruise (with the 5 night speciality dining package) on Quantum coming up and plan to be one of the first onboard the ship. Although we’re D+ this is our first time with a speciality dining package, we’ve typically just booked onboard individually. 

I’m to hear what everybody’s strategy is for ensuring you get the most ideal bookings (Restaurants & Times)? What speciality dining venues are open and have no queues to book?

Once onboard the ship is it possible to use the app to book (As part of the dining package), or are we required to book in person?

Keen to hear all your experiences and tips…Thanks in advance all!

• Like 1

As others have said, any specialty restaurant can make you reservations for the week.  If there is much of a line at the nearest restaurants (likely Wonderland or Jamie's) head forward to Chops - farthest from boarding location and thus less likely to have a line.  Reservations can also be made in the app but I've found it easier to deal with a person at a restaurant, but nothing to stop you from making the reservations you can in the app while waiting in line.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WI-Cruiser said:

As others have said, any specialty restaurant can make you reservations for the week.  If there is much of a line at the nearest restaurants (likely Wonderland or Jamie's) head forward to Chops - farthest from boarding location and thus less likely to have a line.  Reservations can also be made in the app but I've found it easier to deal with a person at a restaurant, but nothing to stop you from making the reservations you can in the app while waiting in line.

Thanks Master Chief!!!

• Like 1

On Harmony last month, with UDP, went to Chops to make all reservations. I was one of the first 100 on board. They were able to do all Restaurants except for Izumi. They told us we could only make Izumi reservations AT Izumi. By the time we got there, maybe 10 minutes, all Izumi was booked for the whole week.

49 minutes ago, Newbieflorida said:

On Harmony last month, with UDP, went to Chops to make all reservations. I was one of the first 100 on board. They were able to do all Restaurants except for Izumi. They told us we could only make Izumi reservations AT Izumi. By the time we got there, maybe 10 minutes, all Izumi was booked for the whole week.

Izumi sushi side was booked, or Izumi hibachi was booked? Or both?

I take a calendar spreadsheet with me that has each day and what restaurant and time that I would like with me. It's so much easier and time saving to have everything you want written down. I also have a pen with me to make any changes on the sheet if I don't get exactly what I want.

• Like 2

As others have said, just go to any specialty restaurant and make all of your reservations there.

Worth remembering, transatlantic & transpacific cruises tend to have increased numbers of back to back passengers, who will be the first to board. So I'd go as soon as you get on.

Be flexible, and willing to change the nights you eat in particular restaurants.  We had wanted Chops on a particular night, but it wasn’t available until really late. We swapped it with the night we wanted for 150 CP, and our list worked out fine with that swap.

If you sitting in the terminal waiting to board, you may want to check your app.  They may have opened the reservation function. If so, might be able to make some (or all) of your reservations while you are waiting to board.  For example, I snagged our Izumi Hibachi reservation plus a couple other reservations while waiting to board Harmony in June, but then I started having trouble with the app as did others nearby.  Once on board, I also find it more pleasant to deal with a person than the app.  

• Like 2

Hi 

can I just ask , we are thinking of booking the UDP. When we booked we got $550 on board spends but I can't see it on " my cruise planner " to use against  the dining package. Anyone know how to use the credit? 

thanks 

1 hour ago, Emb77 said:

Hi 

can I just ask , we are thinking of booking the UDP. When we booked we got $550 on board spends but I can't see it on " my cruise planner " to use against  the dining package. Anyone know how to use the credit? 

thanks 

If this on board credit is from the Royal Caribbean Credit Card, then the OBC usually doesn't show up until about 2 weeks out from the cruise, maybe even closer.  If from something else I'd give them a call as you should be able to see it in the cruise planner.

I am wondering if I am a suite guest, can the concierge take care of all this pre-boarding?  I would assume that gives me an advantage, but I'm not sure when they make the reservations.  I don't know if I am better off getting the reservations myself when I board or letting them do it.  

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Dont want to hijack this thread but what about booking show reservations after boarding. We are doing our first Oasis class cruise next month and never had to make show reservations in the past. Can they be booked in the entertainment section oft he app?

Yes, you can book it all in the app once on board.  You go to each event and click to make the reservation, and you have to click through a few screens before you "finalize" the reservation by making a $0.00 purchase.

If you don't feel like you "made a purchase" (for no money) then you didn't complete the reservation process.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, slyster said:

I am wondering if I am a suite guest, can the concierge take care of all this pre-boarding?  I would assume that gives me an advantage, but I'm not sure when they make the reservations.  I don't know if I am better off getting the reservations myself when I board or letting them do it.  

Yes, if you are in a "full" suite (i.e. Grand Suite or above, not Junior Suite), you will get an introductory email from the concierge sometime the week before your sailing.  Reply asking for the reservations you want.  

• Like 1