no knives multi tool.

miyanc

So I have had problems before.  Even when I wasn't flying.  I usually carry a multi tool.  The rule was, at 1 point as long as the blade was less then 2 or 3 inches.  Then it was not clearly defined and I got 1 taken away before boarding.  Being leo saved me because the security agent kept it for me and gave it back when we got back.  I then stopped taking them. 

I carry a few kinds, but I am down to just 1 i still carry.  It's the Leatherman micra.  It's a tiny thing and I mainly use the scissors.  It has a small blade on it but that can be removed. 

I am not sure if I am checking a bag, so it seems TSA is ok with it (there is agent disgression).  But what about the port?

I know the easy answer is not to take it.  I can put it in 1 of my family bags, which will get checked.  But I don't want to loose it at the port.  I know the risk is even if you all say it's fine and I travel with x, but I would still like to hear from others. 

Biker19 thanks for pointing out how stupid I am and much better at life you are. 

9 minutes ago, miyanc said:

I can put it in 1 of my family bags, which will get checked.  But I don't want to loose it at the port. 

We have been called down to security because of an old fashioned can opener, so there is a possibility that they will call you down over that tool. The upside is if you do get called down for that, and it is  confiscated, it will be returned to you at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 2

If you really, truly think you'll need a multi-tool on board, and are checking bags, pack it in the checked luggage.  Worst that can happen is what Orville 99 said.

If it's just kinda nice to have and/or if you're going all carry-on, leave it at home.

I much prefer HAL's rules regarding this:

Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or sharp blades over two and half inches long and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception. For safety reasons drones and any other remote controlled aerial devices/ toys are not allowed on board our ship. Extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark

Edited by five.
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, five. said:

I much prefer HAL's rules regarding this:

Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or sharp blades over two and half inches long and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception. For safety reasons drones and any other remote controlled aerial devices/ toys are not allowed on board our ship. Extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark

RCs are clear to understand.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miyanc said:

So I have had problems before.  Even when I wasn't flying.  I usually carry a multi tool.  The rule was, at 1 point as long as the blade was less then 2 or 3 inches.  Then it was not clearly defined and I got 1 taken away before boarding.  Being leo saved me because the security agent kept it for me and gave it back when we got back.  I then stopped taking them. 

I carry a few kinds, but I am down to just 1 i still carry.  It's the Leatherman micra.  It's a tiny thing and I mainly use the scissors.  It has a small blade on it but that can be removed. 

I am not sure if I am checking a bag, so it seems TSA is ok with it (there is agent disgression).  But what about the port?

I know the easy answer is not to take it.  I can put it in 1 of my family bags, which will get checked.  But I don't want to loose it at the port.  I know the risk is even if you all say it's fine and I travel with x, but I would still like to hear from others. 

Biker19 thanks for pointing out how stupid I am and much better at life you are. 

I would take it thru Security as a carry on and tell them before...Show them your Creds

I carry a knock off multitool in my suitcase and have never had it questioned. Funny thing is, there’s a knife with a 5” blade in every silverware wrap in Windjammer. I guess they’re only concerned with a small but sharp blade as opposed to a stabbing instrument.  Because crazy people just want to inflict small cuts.  

• Haha 6

Anthem, Jan 22 - Checked bag was delivered to my room.  Made 5 shore excursions over the following 11 days carrying the bag.  Not even a question.  4 1/2" blade, 9 1/2" overall length.  Either I don't fit the criminal image, or SCUBA divers can get away with anything..... image.png.2b48aeeae3927cb1b66a64437e4bab4f.png

I have a small one I always take by packing it in an outside pocket. We zip tie our luggage and I use it in the cabin to cut the zip ties. It comes in handy along with the little swiss army knife I have with scissors. So just pack it and you'll be fine. (Former leo.)

7 hours ago, davekathy said:

RCs are clear to understand.

Sure. The rule is "none are allowed." Though later it says you can check a scuba knife with security. I wasn't saying that it wasn't clear. I was saying I prefer that HAL specifically allows small blades. Plenty of people in this thread say they carry small ones, but according to the rules it's not allowed. I don't like that discrepancy. If you're going to allow it, then put it in the rules.

10 minutes ago, five. said:

Sure. The rule is "none are allowed." Though later it says you can check a scuba knife with security. I wasn't saying that it wasn't clear. I was saying I prefer that HAL specifically allows small blades. Plenty of people in this thread say they carry small ones, but according to the rules it's not allowed. I don't like that discrepancy. If you're going to allow it, then put it in the rules.

Wrong.

So does RC. Clearly says that. 

I guess I don't read it like that. To me according to the rules all knives are among the prohibited items. They have the scissors exclusion, but nothing about knives.

Prohibited Items:

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

11 minutes ago, five. said:

I guess I don't read it like that. To me according to the rules all knives are among the prohibited items. They have the scissors exclusion, but nothing about knives.

Prohibited Items:

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

I do. Blade being the keyword. Like "HAL specifically allows small blades". My mustache scissor (high quality) blades are as sharp as most knife blades. The blade (foil cutter) on my cork screw is very sharp. 

Edited by davekathy

My friend brought a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew on an NCL cruise we took 6 or 7 years ago, in her checked bag.  Got called to the naughty room and she had to leave it with them - had a small blade - she always took it on vacation for opening wine bottles.  They did give it back to her at the end of the cruise and we have an ongoing joke about smuggling pointy weapons on board.