Just read about “anarchy” in Haiti due to gas prices ..

Markmom18

Hi,

Haiti has been listed by U.S. Govt Level 4 advisory in 2022 for quite awhile. Today I read about this current crisis & unrest.   Has RCCL issued a statement on upcoming Labadee port stops?  

We’re on the Harmony at the end of the month. Personally, me & hubby will be staying onboard. Yeah that term “out of an abundance of caution”. Actually though to me at least, it’s common sense. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

Haiti has been listed by U.S. Govt Level 4 advisory in 2022 for quite awhile. Today I read about this current crisis & unrest.   Has RCCL issued a statement on upcoming Labadee port stops?  

We’re on the Harmony at the end of the month. Personally, me & hubby will be staying onboard. Yeah that term “out of an abundance of caution”. Actually though to me at least, it’s common sense. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Labadee is a bit sheltered from the rest of Haiti -- nothing to do with the "real" Haiti but RCI will certainly not port there if it is unsafe for its passengers. 

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Royal Caribbean will not stop there if there was any danger. Labadee is on an isolated rural peninsula. It is gated. Staying onboard is not common sense. It is senseless. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean will not stop there if there was any danger. Labadee is on an isolated rural peninsula. It is gated. Staying onboard is not common sense. It is senseless. 

Ok, it’s senseless to stay onboard. I’ll do what you say Charles. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

To the board monitors:

Could you please remove my post now. I’ve gotten the info I requested.

🛳🛳

Thank you,

Bobbi

There's a link at the bottom of the page to contact the mods directly. Anyway they won't delete a thread once a question has been answered. That's kind of the point of the whole thing. 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing new going on in Haiti.  As the other posters have said, if there could be a problem the ship won't stop there.  We expect to be back there in a few weeks, assuming Fiona doesn't do much damage.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

There's a link at the bottom of the page to contact the mods directly. Anyway they won't delete a thread once a question has been answered. That's kind of the point of the whole thing. 

Ok. Then people can continue to give me the same advice as the people before them. I just thought rather than let the thread go on with the same advice as the people before them …. 🤷🏻‍♀️😉🤷🏻‍♀️😉

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were in Labadee in August.  We used to enjoy it.  Found it full of sand fleas- bring bug spray.  The (suite) lunch also had many insects flying about.  We really enjoyed coco Cay and will try to pick cruises that stop their instead of labadee.  Or no longer get off the ship in labadee.  Too bad as the beach is nice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

When I went there on oasis the only way to see any of haiti was a excursion in a boat that took us down the coast a bit. Labadee isnt a way to see haiti. It's a private area.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Ok. Then people can continue to give me the same advice as the people before them. I just thought rather than let the thread go on with the same advice as the people before them …. 🤷🏻‍♀️😉🤷🏻‍♀️😉

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

For someone who has been around since 2008, you sure don't know the CC folks 😉🤣🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Just as senseless as the new honor system for covid tests and wearing a mask onboard. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Or for those of us who don't particularly enjoy Labadee anyway, staying on the ship that day is very pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Or for those of us who don't particularly enjoy Labadee anyway, staying on the ship that day is very pleasant.

If I did not like Labadee I would stay onboard. I like it so I go out and enjoy the beach day.That is not the question. If there was anarchy at Labadee then Royal would not stop there. In the past at certain times of turmoil in Haiti they have suspended stopping at Labadee. If the ship stops there and you stay on the ship you are still in Haiti. If there were anarchy at Labadee the ship would be in the anarchy whether passengers stayed on or not. Royal is going to avoid endangering their ship. So I was making a pun out of OP's statement about common sense. 

2 minutes ago, robmtx said:

Care to share your sources? Haiti is in a constant state of instability.

If you search for "unrest in Haiti" you we'll see numerous articles that have been written in the past couple of days.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

If you search for "unrest in Haiti" you we'll see numerous articles that have been written in the past couple of days.

Yea heh was actually just reading Reuters. Nothing stands out as new or different for the poor island nation. They have it rough enough as it is.

14 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We were in Labadee in August.  We used to enjoy it.  Found it full of sand fleas- bring bug spray.  The (suite) lunch also had many insects flying about.  We really enjoyed coco Cay and will try to pick cruises that stop their instead of labadee.  Or no longer get off the ship in labadee.  Too bad as the beach is nice.

The flies don’t care that the food is for suite guests.  

FYI.  There were flies around the food in coco cay last time I was there.  Maybe they knew I was in a suite?   

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

For someone who has been around since 2008, you sure don't know the CC folks 😉🤣🤷‍♂️

Oh 🤣🤣   Others will keep repeating the same advice as the first 2 folks gave.

I just thought if the moderator could delete post we didn’t have to go down that path. Oh well … I tried … 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Care to share your sources? Haiti is in a constant state of instability.

Associated Press (AP). Yesterday.

Google and post if you could. I have no idea how to post links myself.

But, if you use the word anarchy and AP and yesterdays date …. 

Edited by Markmom18

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Yea heh was actually just reading Reuters. Nothing stands out as new or different for the poor island nation. They have it rough enough as it is.

I also went to Reuters tonight. Now, because of the violence due to the Protestors (gasoline hike) there isn’t fresh water delivery.  Yes, the families, the women, the children … every person has it rough enough. 😔😔

Edited by Markmom18

On 9/17/2022 at 10:09 PM, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

🛳🛳

Bobbi

At the top tier event today the captain said we were still going there. This only came up because we were supposed to go there tomorrow, but the itinerary was changed due to Fiona. We will be going there on Friday instead.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Markmom18 said:

I also went to Reuters tonight. Now, because of the violence due to the Protestors (gasoline hike) there isn’t fresh water delivery.  Yes, the families, the women, the children … every person has it rough enough. 😔😔

I say do whatever precautionary measures you think you need to do and are comfortable with AND don't worry about what others say.

• Like 3