Live from Navigator—Montreal to NYC—September 20 to October 1,2022

RachelG

September 30,2022–Newport, Rhode Island

We awoke to another bright sunny day with temperatures in the low 60s.  Newport is a tender port, and fortunately there was no fog.  Our tour wasn’t until 12:15, so we had a leisurely morning waiting for open tenders to be announced.  

The Newport harbor is huge, filled with mostly sailboats from super fancy and expensive to the little one person ones.   It was a long tender ride to the pier.  Once off, we grabbed an Uber and set off the explore Fort Adams, an old Army and Navy fort built in the early 1800’s and in use until 1950.  It is huge, could garrison 2400 men, and provided defense to the harbor entrance.  Interestingly, in 1917 before the US entered WWI, the Germans sailed a submarine here to show it off.  The city officials and military officers at the fort were shown around, apparently to impress them with the German technology.  The next day, the submarine sailed out into international waters and sank a bunch of cargo ships bound for Europe.

We went back to our meeting point on the pier for our tour.  There was a stand selling seafood chowder, so we decided that was a perfect quick lunch.  It was so good—with big chunks of crab, clams, shrimp.  We sat and ate it at the little park beside the pier.

Our walking tour was about colonial Newport.  We had been here before and had done the Breakers walk and tours of the old mansions, so we wanted something different.  Our guide was a native Newporter and is retired but works at a vintage book store on the main square.  He walked us all over and showed is a bunch of old very well preserved or restored buildings, some with a lot of history.

Back to the ship, it was the most unfortunate time of the cruise—packing.  We always have an issue as we seem to accumulate more stuff than we can fit in, even though we really aren’t big souvenir shoppers.  But we made it work.

A final win at trivia.  I had enough points to get 2 nice shirts for George and a purse hook which I will probably never use.

We had a great final dinner in Compass Rose.  I had escargot, salad and Dover sole.  George had his favorite foie Gras, a delicious leek soup, and a thai chicken curry which really surprised me as that is not a typical dish for him. It all was a great finish for the cruise.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, RachelG said:

September 30,2022–Newport, Rhode Island

We awoke to another bright sunny day with temperatures in the low 60s.  Newport is a tender port, and fortunately there was no fog.  Our tour wasn’t until 12:15, so we had a leisurely morning waiting for open tenders to be announced.  

The Newport harbor is huge, filled with mostly sailboats from super fancy and expensive to the little one person ones.   It was a long tender ride to the pier.  Once off, we grabbed an Uber and set off the explore Fort Adams, an old Army and Navy fort built in the early 1800’s and in use until 1950.  It is huge, could garrison 2400 men, and provided defense to the harbor entrance.  Interestingly, in 1917 before the US entered WWI, the Germans sailed a submarine here to show it off.  The city officials and military officers at the fort were shown around, apparently to impress them with the German technology.  The next day, the submarine sailed out into international waters and sank a bunch of cargo ships bound for Europe.

We went back to our meeting point on the pier for our tour.  There was a stand selling seafood chowder, so we decided that was a perfect quick lunch.  It was so good—with big chunks of crab, clams, shrimp.  We sat and ate it at the little park beside the pier.

Our walking tour was about colonial Newport.  We had been here before and had done the Breakers walk and tours of the old mansions, so we wanted something different.  Our guide was a native Newporter and is retired but works at a vintage book store on the main square.  He walked us all over and showed is a bunch of old very well preserved or restored buildings, some with a lot of history.

Back to the ship, it was the most unfortunate time of the cruise—packing.  We always have an issue as we seem to accumulate more stuff than we can fit in, even though we really aren’t big souvenir shoppers.  But we made it work.

A final win at trivia.  I had enough points to get 2 nice shirts for George and a purse hook which I will probably never use.

We had a great final dinner in Compass Rose.  I had escargot, salad and Dover sole.  George had his favorite foie Gras, a delicious leek soup, and a thai chicken curry which really surprised me as that is not a typical dish for him. It all was a great finish for the cruise.

Smooth travels home after great cruise. 

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to post! We will, hopefully, be headed to the Amazon on the Navigator in March. It was nice to know some of Navigator's "ups" and "downs" ! After reading your posts, I think we can survive....haha!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Ok. We are in NYC waiting at our hotel to board the Navigator and were just told that the Navigator is not in NYC the morning and they don’t know when she’ll be here.

What happened?

According to cruise mapper she is on her way.  ETA 1600 hours.  Rough seas and gale force winds.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9064126

Untitled.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates. Sorry to hear they’ve had bad weather.

The latest at the hotel is we are to be out of our rooms by 12, a general meeting space on the second floor will be available to all until 7 pm, then they will begin the buses to the pier. I’m sure this has been a huge job to figure out. The ground operations team at the hotel has done a great job of keeping us informed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Ok. We are in NYC waiting at our hotel to board the Navigator and were just told that the Navigator is not in NYC the morning and they don’t know when she’ll be here.

What happened?

October 1, 2022–disembarkation in New York City, New York

Another things don’t go as planned day.  We were supposed to be in port with disembarkation to begin at 8 am.  I set my alarm to get up at 7 am as we were in the last (9am) group.  And when The alarm went off, I immediately noticed—the ship was still moving, and not just a little.  We were in open ocean.  A look outside showed dense fog, pouring rain, and no land in sight.  The tv monitor said we were 120 miles from New York.

At 8 am, the captain came on the speakers in the suites and announced that we had not been able to leave Newport until 4 am due to an issue with securing one of the tenders followed by an issue with getting a pilot in Newport.  So we would not arrive in New York City until late afternoon.  That was a problem as, though we are not scheduled to fly home until tomorrow afternoon, we had tickets to the Music Man on Broadway for 2 pm today.  Nothing we could do about it though. 

Now, at 11:30 am, we are trudging along in pretty rough seas and pouring rain.  Ray just came on overhead, and said they were working on rebooking flights and getting hotels for those who booked their travel through Regent.  He also asked any guests who had made independent arrangements to go to the front desk as they would work on securing hotel rooms for them.  I already have a hotel for tonight and flights tomorrow, but am pretty upset about those Music Man tickets.  They were expensive, for one thing, and I really wanted to see the show too.

So sorry you missed your play. Fortunately you are not too stressed about a hotel room and a missed flight. The weather has really done a number on Florida and the Eastern sea board and your cruise.
Thanks for your reports from one of.my favorite ships. You can’t do anything about the weather, but seems as you made the most of it, adjusting as need be. Have a safe trip home.

• Like 1

Thanks Rachel for letting us know.  We too are sorry you can’t make it to The Music Man. We hope you and your fellow passengers have a safe trip home.
Most of the next segment passengers have convened in a ballroom of the Lotte Palace and they have provided beverages, cookies, power bars, fruit, etc. We’re fine and dry (it’s pouring out), and for the most part, everyone has made lemonade out of lemons!

Sue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brownie54 said:

Thanks Rachel for letting us know.  We too are sorry you can’t make it to The Music Man. We hope you and your fellow passengers have a safe trip home.
Most of the next segment passengers have convened in a ballroom of the Lotte Palace and they have provided beverages, cookies, power bars, fruit, etc. We’re fine and dry (it’s pouring out), and for the most part, everyone has made lemonade out of lemons!

Sue

Hi Sue. Are you here in the ballroom?  Would love to meet you.  I am wearing a blue and white Penn State plaid shirt, sitting by the wall near the largest painting 

Laurie 

3 hours ago, RachelG said:I already have a hotel for tonight and flights tomorrow, but am pretty upset about those Music Man tickets.  They were expensive, for one thing, and I really wanted to see the show too.

If the credit card you used for this cruise has Travel Insurance / Travel Delay coverage, you might be able to make a claim for the show tickets.  Not sure if it would be a reimbursable expense though.  

Sorry to you and all onboard for this last ‘challenge’ on this cruise… 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

If the credit card you used for this cruise has Travel Insurance / Travel Delay coverage, you might be able to make a claim for the show tickets.  Not sure if it would be a reimbursable expense though.  

Sorry to you and all onboard for this last ‘challenge’ on this cruise… 

I didn’t actually purchase the tickets.  My friend we are traveling with bought them for all of us, and I paid in cash.  But I don’t think that would be reimbursable anyway.

We’ll hope you travels home work out better.  Booking a cruise we always come in early and depart a day later.  You never know and these days it’s even more important. Enjoyed reading your post, you really give the details in a fair entertaining way.  Sorry about the show.

• Like 1