Milestone recognition being eliminated

CruzinNoony

@caribill Yes, the glass paper weight is now a tote bag, which is actually more useful. The champagne that we received was Nicholas Feuillatte and Chandon Brut (sparkling wine). It's not Dom, but it's certainly drinkable. 

I'm actually finding that when I cruise with no expectations of receiving anything, that I enjoy myself more. 

• Like 10

Just my opinion, but Business 101...it is easier to keep existing customers than to find new ones.   Especially those that do B2B2Bs.  It is easier on the room steward too.  Maybe what they need to do is like RCCL and give a $100 pp for B2Bs, giving incentive to book again and have a full ship, rather than having to give deep discounts at the end. That way they are showing appreciation for repeat business.  A happy customer means free positive advertising.  A dissatisfied customer will talk more and tell more people about their unhappy experience.  Personally, I  think Princess made a huge mistake giving kids cruising with parents points toward elite without having to pay full price.  Again, this is just my opinion.  

• Like 5

On 9/27/2022 at 5:05 PM, cruzsnooze said:

But we seniors have more money and time to travel and do so in higher end cabins then young families. Working people take one vacation a year usually - but as a senior I take as many as I want and usually cruise 4-

YES.  You are right.  Whoever is making these on Princess is wrong.  They need those dedicated cruisers, they are the ones they can count on.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

YES.  You are right.  Whoever is making these on Princess is wrong.  They need those dedicated cruisers, they are the ones they can count on.  

Princess doesn't think so, apparently.  They have a new business plan, and there's no changing it.  I feel foolish for being sucked in in the first place, believing I was valuable to them because they gave me some perks.  The loyalty thing is a trap.  I have money to cruise, and I'm going to spend it elsewhere (right after I use up all the FCC and cruise on Princess' dime.)  Chasing loyalty for the sake of a few perks is now a thing of the past for me.  🙂

1 minute ago, Kay S said:

Princess doesn't think so, apparently.  They have a new business plan, and there's no changing it.  I feel foolish for being sucked in in the first place, believing I was valuable to them because they gave me some perks.  The loyalty thing is a trap.  I have money to cruise, and I'm going to spend it elsewhere (right after I use up all the FCC and cruise on Princess' dime.)  Chasing loyalty for the sake of a few perks is now a thing of the past for me.  🙂

With CCL stock where it is, personally, I think they need to reach out to their dedicated cruisers and offer deals to fill the ship.  Everyone makes mistakes.  I think they doing way too much all at once and it came back to bite them.  

We like the Grand class ships and the staff on Princess is great.  Got to know many through the years.  Those ships feel like home to us; however, now they have the new ships and the suites have narrow balconies and smaller rooms.  We like the fact there are not many kids on the ships.  We are at the highest level with RCCL and cruised with them for years; however, we no longer are in that category I guess.  We think CCL has covered everything, HAL for the most seasoned cruisers, Carnaval for the young partiers, Seaborn for the people who want elite and Princess for that medium.  Personally, I think they need to focus on advertising the niche in each of these ships and what they offer.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

The new cruisers they are seeking will mainly be younger ones with families.

That will help fill up the ship during summer and school vacation times, but they still need the older repeat passengers to fill up the ships the other times of the year and on longer cruises.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

The new cruisers they are seeking will mainly be younger ones with families.

That will help fill up the ship during summer and school vacation times, but they still need the older repeat passengers to fill up the ships the other times of the year and on longer cruises.

Yes I agree.  You know that old saying in business...DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU and DON'T BURN BRIDGES,, especially in this climate the cruise lines are dealing with now.  Maybe the people making these decisions at Princess are so young they have not heard of that saying.  

People are already stressed from covid and all that has been going on, time to tread lightly instead of trying to make people upset.  I realize the prices of everything has gone up, including food and gas which are two of the main things which cruise lines rely on.  Personally, we always felt they gave too much food.  I think smaller portions is good and allows for less waste.  You can always ask for extra if needed.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Thanks for the information. Your first sentence seems to be more of your interpretation of the third sentence rather than an overt statement by Carnival Corp.

To grow they need to increase the attraction of new customers and then make sure they are retained.

Personally I don't see increasing marketing to new customers is a statement that existing customers don't count anymore, rather that existing customers keep dying and have to be replaced! Preferably with the rate of replacement being higher that the rate of loss.

I listened to the analyst call this morning.  There was a definite strategic emphasis on the "new to cruising" market.  The CEO and CFO emphasized 1)all-inclusive options such as the Plus and Premier packages bought pre-sail, 2) a richer mix of cabins, and 3) opening the "second wallet" (onboard purchases).  While all this doesn't mean that existing "loyal" passengers will not be appreciated, future changes in the Princess product will be geared to attracting the "new to cruising" passenger.  The new Princess may or may not appeal to the loyal base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert Cruisers said:

The new Princess may or may not appeal to the loyal base.

As the prices go up and get closer to all inclusives such as Azamara, new Princess might appeal less and less to the "loyal" base.  Might as well open the "second wallet" at booking and go for a smaller ship with a potentially more unique itinerary.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

As the prices go up and get closer to all inclusives such as Azamara, new Princess might appeal less and less to the "loyal" base.  Might as well open the "second wallet" at booking and go for a smaller ship with a potentially more unique itinerary.  

If we sail for relaxation, it is Princess. Generally if we sail for itinerary it is not. We like the small ships.

Getting back to the original topic, we're embarking the Island Princess TODAY! Downloaded a fresh copy of the Travel summary and saw this was recently added to the list of Special Services:

image.thumb.png.db7d0c414b831be342096e1374b9896d.png

If they're going away, they're not gone yet ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Getting back to the original topic, we're embarking the Island Princess TODAY! Downloaded a fresh copy of the Travel summary and saw this was recently added to the list of Special Services:

Very interesting, very cool, and congratulations!

Please come back, and let us know how it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

At what point was Princess 100% sure that the 500th day would be on this cruise?

In other words, when did you complete (not book) the cruise that would make this the one with your 500th?

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

At what point was Princess 100% sure that the 500th day would be on this cruise?

In other words, when did you complete (not book) the cruise that would make this the one with your 500th?

Not OP but on our March cruise, husband would be at the 1000 days during this cruise (about 5 days into the cruise). When  we boarded, had a letter of recognition of reaching the milestone, flowers and wine and invite for CC Party recognition and for breakfast at Sabatini. So for him, it was the cruise that he would be on when he reached the milestone number ( same as for when he reached 750 days). This cruise was booked during the pause and it was our 6th cruise after the restart. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Not OP but on our March cruise, husband would be at the 1000 days during this cruise (about 5 days into the cruise). When  we boarded, had a letter of recognition of reaching the milestone, flowers and wine and invite for CC Party recognition and for breakfast at Sabatini. So for him, it was the cruise that he would be on when he reached the milestone number ( same as for when he reached 750 days). This cruise was booked during the pause and it was our 6th cruise after the restart. 

Obviously by the time Ken boarded they knew he had the required number of days.

But the poster indicated that there was notice before the cruise. So I was curious, for example, if this notice was for a cruise after some cruises that had yet to be taken and Princess was assuming they would occur or had the person already completed the cruises to make the next for sure the one with the 500.

(By the way, somehow it has been a long time since the two of you and the two of us have been on the same cruise.)

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Congrats and hope your celebration is great

on my Travel Summary for my 15 Aug cruise (reached 1000 days), it showed Milestone Celebration and approximately $250. Can’t remember exact amount and didn’t keep a copy.  But L&E Manager said I would receive nothing since my husband had already been recognized for reaching his 1000 days.   I asked her about what was on my Travel Summary. She said my TA put that in my record but didn’t really know how recognitions worked.  What was strange is on my portfolio statement it shows - 20 Aug Milestone Celebration Redeemed.  Wish I knew what I had received 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribill said:

Obviously by the time he boarded they knew he had the required number of days.

But the poster indicated that there was notice before the cruise. So I was curious, for example, if this notice was for a cruise after some cruises that had yet to be taken and Princess was assuming they would occur or had the person already completed the cruises to make the next for sure the one with the 500.

(By the way, somehow it has been a long time since the two of you and the two of us have been on the same cruise.)

I have never noticed that statement on the Travel Summary for any of our earlier  milestones cruises. First time to see it was for my 15 Aug cruise and it turned out to mean nothing. 

Yes it it has been a long time but i’ve read most of your postings over those years. You must have a binder full of every potential question that could or has been asked on CC.   Hope all has been well for y’all. 

10 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Please let us know what you receive for your milestone.  Congratulations!!!  I am so bummed about finally reaching 1000 days and the possibility of no recognition.  Currently, I have 950 days and if Princess didn't cancel our B2B2B on the Diamond, we would have reached our big milestone while on our Hawaii cruise.  All those sea days eating breakfast in Sabatini's would have been such a treat.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, CruzinNoony said:

Please let us know what you receive for your milestone.  Congratulations!!!  I am so bummed about finally reaching 1000 days and the possibility of no recognition.  Currently, I have 950 days and if Princess didn't cancel our B2B2B on the Diamond, we would have reached our big milestone while on our Hawaii cruise.  All those sea days eating breakfast in Sabatini's would have been such a treat.

The CC party was last night. All that was recognized was a shout-out towards the end of the festivities. They do still recognize the three most traveled couples.

In our cabin we received a certificate, some VERY NICE flowers (they've smelled nice for over a week now) and a bottle of nice sparkling wine. There was no mention of a breakfast in Sabatini's albeit we were upgraded to a full-suite some time ago so we got that perk anyway. The Loyalty and Events manager has repeatedly told us the suite upgrade was not because of the 500 day milestone.

This is the first leg of a B2B2B. My actual day 500 is on disembarkation for leg 1. DW for some reason has one more day than I so her's is the last full day. I keep asking her who she went with and she's not sayin'.

The free suite upgrade was only for the first leg, we have to change cabins to the one originally booked this coming Friday - we are quite sad - our first time in a full suite and boy are we spoiled. Club Class dining is often downplayed by folks here on the forum but getting it for free was pretty nice. Just walking in and having the staff recognize you and then seat you immediately was fun. The extra course isn't a cut-above but does present another option over menus that have become repetitive over the years. And of course the wait-staff are extra attentive as I don't think they're assigned as many tables as they would have in the regular dining areas.

So, we plead our case to the front desk as we know there are still suites available for the next sailings (only six days away). We were told that yes, they do have a process to upgrade passengers AFTER sailing. We should move to the next cabin and we'd be considered for available upgrades at that time. Fingers are crossed and now we're wondering where to get some chocolates for Guest Services ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, currently on Majestic and we had a ‘new’ Loyalty Ambassador join the ship as our last one left when we arrived HNL as her home was in the direct path of IAN and wanted to get back to see if anything is left of her home.

When I boarded , I asked the Loyalty Ambassador about the milestone program and she relayed she was told it IS being fazed out. Later in the cruise I spoke to the Director of Restaurant Operations, Neville S. who I know many know. He said he thought the program was just being ‘revised’.

Janelle from So. Africa who has been with Princess as Captain Circle host and now as Loyalty Ambassador for over 6 years who boarded today confirmed to me ‘YES’, the milestone program is going bye bye, and official communication regarding this is coming out soon. She also confirmed there is a ‘date’ which has not been share that if booked before this date, Princess will honor the milestone, otherwise no recognition, so @CruzinNoony, you may be out of luck. 

I do find it interesting to hear in one of the previous posts, passenger reported they reached 1000 days and was told, since partner reached and celebrated 1000 on an earlier sailing, they would not recognize her 1000 milestone.

@beg3yrs, 500 days is the first milestone marker and ‘suite breakfast’ is not a milestone ‘perk’ till the ‘750’ and higher level. When the milestone program was first introduce, it was based on ‘cruise credits’ starting with your ‘50th’ and then every 25 and it was not till your ‘75th’, suite breakfast was included.

I believe Princess introduced milestones when they were celebrating 50 years and then eventually switched to number of days.

As I posted earlier, I am sad and disappointed this program is being dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wallyj said:

Janelle from So. Africa who has been with Princess as Captain Circle host and now as Loyalty Ambassador for over 6 years who boarded today confirmed to me ‘YES’, the milestone program is going bye bye, and official communication regarding this is coming out soon. She also confirmed there is a ‘date’ which has not been share that if booked before this date, Princess will honor the milestone, otherwise no recognition, so @CruzinNoony, you may be out of luck. 

I do find it interesting to hear in one of the previous posts, passenger reported they reached 1000 days and was told, since partner reached and celebrated 1000 on an earlier sailing, they would not recognize her 1000 milestone.

I am that passenger and was surprised when the L&E Manager said that only one recognition per couple when reaching milestones on different cruises.  I too was sad and disappointed after waiting for such a long time to achieve the 1000 days.  Know that changes are happening and will probably continue but no plans to stop cruising with Princess as long as they have itineraries that we want to try.  We have had very  nice milestone cruises - especially the 500th day.  That cruise we were number 1 MTP, cruised when Princess was celebrating their 50th year (wine on each cruise (8) booked that year) and that cruise was on both our anniversary month and the exact month for Princess anniversary (Jan)  and we received extra OBC and other nice things during that cruise.

For me, it doesn't appear to have mattered about the "book by date" as we booked "my milestone" cruise back in Dec 2020 for the Aug 2022.  Hope that the book by  dates work out for others achieving their milestone cruises. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from my recent cruise on the Ruby Princess with an update regarding the Milestone program. Per the Loyalty and Events Manager, this program has been discontinued. For those passengers that booked their Milestone cruises before the discontinuation, they will still receive their awards. The program though is being phased out. 

• Thanks 1