Designer jeans - restaurants and chic nights

socktaco

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

The Happy Hour was at any bar long before shut down.

You can still go for drinks in the Sky Lounge, difference is there are no nibbles.

I know that as we just returned from our 21 September Summit cruise. We prefer the CC HH in the SL as it was pre shutdown. I did voice my opinion to the CC concierge and another officer during the evening Senior Officers party for elite and above and on the PCS. Now back the topic of the thread. Kudos to Celebrity on the current suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening. 

3 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

To your point, we are going on the cruise as a holiday and/or celebrate special occasion, where people more dressed up. Also, is it OK to wear jeans to a wedding? I understand that is Celebrity decision, but I don't have to like it.

My god....entire wedding themes include jeans.  Not everyone has to do things your way.

If you don't like the rules, buh-bye.

A few years back I would always wear my work clothes on formal night before the chic.  I was never denied entrance or turned away for not wearing the proper attire.

I worked for a automotive company in a stamping plant but my position required me to wear a suit and tie.  I bought the cheapest outfits I could find.  Little did anyone know on board that my attire had a lot of sweat, grease, and oil spots, that were  removed by the dry cleaners.   Or maybe none of it was removed and it just blended in with color of  my black suit.     There were also very small holes burned in from the welding sparks.  If they were looking that close to see the holes I am flattered.   If they knew I was wearing my work clothes would it have ruined their dining experience?  

It shouldn’t have because I was “dressed up” according to their rules at the time.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

A few years back I would always wear my work clothes on formal night before the chic.  I was never denied entrance or turned away for not wearing the proper attire.

If they knew I was wearing my work clothes would it have ruined their dining experience?  

It shouldn’t have because I was “dressed up” according to their rules at the time.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

OMG, love it.  I also worked in an occupation where a suit and tie were the uniform of the day.

I always packed "work clothes" for dinner......

4 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

OMG, love it.  I also worked in an occupation where a suit and tie were the uniform of the day.

I always packed "work clothes" for dinner......

My husband still has to wear a suit and tie to work.  Which is exactly why it's not appealing in vacation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

To your point, we are going on the cruise as a holiday and/or celebrate special occasion, where people more dressed up. Also, is it OK to wear jeans to a wedding? I understand that is Celebrity decision, but I don't have to like it.

It's OK to wear jeans to a wedding if the bride and groom say it is okay.

In this case, it is Celebrity Cruise Line, and they say it is okay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 6:34 AM, ISABELLA said:

People who follow "Celebrities trend" don't have their own sense of style. That is why fashion industry is a Billions$$$  business. BTW, some of the most famous designers do not wear their own brand.

Im ok with you wearing whatever you want as long as it follows the directions/wishes of the property owner. If i see you dressed up in something very fancy and elegant, I will be impressed! I am sorry if your experience is negatively affected by other people making their own choices within the established rules. I mean that genuinely and not to be snarky. I want you to enjoy your trip as much as i want to enjoy my own. And everyone else too!

1 hour ago, sun bum said:

Post outside of MDR on Equinox just this pass August. Stated in black and white and pretty easy to understand what is required1235674139_dresscode.thumb.jpg.730c027dbfb13f8af36664d98717e904.jpg

Yep for the evening in the MDR. Long pants equals jeans or slacks for both women and men.  Which also is IAW Celebrity's published dress guidelines for the evening in the MDR. 

• Like 1

Wear whatever you want.  Forget the dress code.  While it would be nice if people dressed as requested. Sadly that isn't happening.  For those guests who haven't sailed since the pandemic, the old dress codes are ignored by many.  On my recent cruise I saw pajamas and bathing suits at breakfast in MDR.  Dinner is a come as you like party.  You name it, it was there. Chic night is a joke....rubber flipflops, souvenir tees, shorts, torn jeans, hats, etc. There were people who dressed well. unfortunately that wasn't the majority.  It was a constant parade unlike anything that I had seen before the pandemic..  Nobody was excluded from MDR .   Forget the dress code. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Wear whatever you want.  Forget the dress code.  While it would be nice if people dressed as requested. Sadly that isn't happening.  For those guests who haven't sailed since the pandemic, the old dress codes are ignored by many.  On my recent cruise I saw pajamas and bathing suits at breakfast in MDR.  Dinner is a come as you like party.  You name it, it was there. Chic night is a joke....rubber flipflops, souvenir tees, shorts, torn jeans, hats, etc. There were people who dressed well. unfortunately that wasn't the majority.  It was a constant parade unlike anything that I had seen before the pandemic..  Nobody was excluded from MDR .   Forget the dress code. 

Is your concern that these people broke the rules or they dressed in a way you don’t appreciate? In other words if they change the rules on celebrity to allow passengers  to dress this way would you still sail with them?

Just now, C4HCG said:

Is your concern that these people broke the rules or they dressed in a way you don’t appreciate? In other words if they change the rules on celebrity to allow passengers  to dress this way would you still sail with them?

I was amazed at the time.  However, once I thought about how the pandemic has changed life,  it makes sense that people are dressing more casually.  During lockdown people didn’t need to dress up. Many worked at home.  Few people shopped for new clothing.  If they shopped, it was mostly online. Fast forward to taking a cruise. People are used to being comfortable.  Why not continue to be comfortable on vacation.  
while I was surprised at what I saw, it wouldn’t stop me from cruising.  
I also took a cruise on a more deluxe line.  While I didn’t see any flagrant opposition to dress code, people were more casual.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

I was amazed at the time.  However, once I thought about how the pandemic has changed life,  it makes sense that people are dressing more casually.  During lockdown people didn’t need to dress up. Many worked at home.  Few people shopped for new clothing.  If they shopped, it was mostly online. Fast forward to taking a cruise. People are used to being comfortable.  Why not continue to be comfortable on vacation.  
while I was surprised at what I saw, it wouldn’t stop me from cruising.  
I also took a cruise on a more deluxe line.  While I didn’t see any flagrant opposition to dress code, people were more casual.  

Thanks for the response. We never cruised in the days of formal being the norm, first cruise 2019, and have done 4 celebrity cruises only since. Would hate to see the MDR become a place where you can turn up scruffy but to us, maintain the current rules but allow tailored shorts as they are often smarter than jeans. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

Celebrity, in support of it's claim to be a luxury cruise line, and thus charge premium prices, advertises elegantly dressed passengers.

I’ve never seen that advertised so take your word for it but importantly, why would having elegantly dressed passengers attract people? We chose Equinox on recommendations of friends due to the ship, not other passengers and how they dressed. And how can Celebrity possibly justify that claim guaranteeing the 1000s of people who cruise them will dress elegantly. Crazy.

To be honest this whole dress debate has been flogged to death and I am to blame as much as anyone for it and will now pledge to do my best to post no more on it. 🤪

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 7:41 PM, socktaco said:

The celebrity website says designer jeans and elegant top are ok for evening chic, and i presume that means in specialty restauants too. How often are ladies showing up in nice jeans and elegant tops? Really what i want to know is whether i will feel out of place if i do, and i know that's a really vague and subjective question. But im travelling solo and have reserved a specialty restaurant by myself which is a bit of a personal challenge and im interested in everyones thoughts and experiences.

Our friends who sailed with us last summer often wore dark jeans to dinner. 

I personally find jeans too hot on most cruises so don't bother.

I have said FOR YEARS that I would look more fashionable in a silk cami & dark designer jeans than the guy that shows up in his powder blue tux with ruffles--yet for years HE met dress code...🤔

I personally appreciate the relaxed dress code.

What someone else wears in NO WAY affects my dinner.

Where what you want--dress up or not.

You will look lovely in designer jeans & an elegant top.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

I often peruse the pages of Cruise Critic before our cruises but almost never chime in, leaving the shared information to the expert cruisers and those that want to express their opinion.  I know that dress code is a hot topic and people feel very strongly about it. I feel compelled, this time, to share mine...

We have had the experience of sailing when the dress code for the formal nights (back then) were enforced. our first cruise was with Celebrity when my husband and I were 29 and 30.  I personally LOVED the experience!!  Every cruise since we have always dressed up, my husband in suits and me in gowns at least half of the time. The other half is still dressy, maybe a sundress or cocktail or at the very least dressy pants and shirt.   That being said we haven't cruised for about 7 years so I was sad to see that the idea of dressing up is actually extremely unpopular and worried my experience would be effected when we sail next month.

Why would it be effected you ask? Well I love to see people gussied up and looking elegant. If everyone just dresses like they are going to a pizza place for dinner then to me then your experience will be such.  

I have decided though that it is what it is and there is no point making a big deal about it since it seems the majority have spoken and Celebrity has listened.  It is clear most do not want to dress up for various reasons, none of which make sense to me personally because I love it!  I don't mind over packing and asking for 20 extra hangers and bringing 6 pairs of heels and loads of jewelry, it has always been one of my favorite parts of cruising and despite the dress code being quite casual I will continue to wear gowns to dinner.  You do you; what makes you feel the most elevated. Just as I'm sure heads will shake at my extravagance mine will shake at the lack of effort but in the end everyone will be happy doing their own thing. 😉 

• Like 1

I can never understand why others care what type of pants someone else wears to dinner on a cruise ship.  It's mind-boggling to me.  Respect the venue enough to not be a total slob, but other than that, focus on yourself and your table-mates.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:48 AM, Cebse said:

Now i could not care less what anyone wears to go to the restaurants and I do not understand why it bothers anyone at all. Everyone is on holiday let people just enjoy themselfs. Behaviour is more important that what someone wears. 

Well said!

Lovey and I always get dressed on Chic night, regardless, makes no difference to us what everyone wears.

Our last Celebrity cruise, (on Infinity) one of the couples (older, perhaps in their 60's) came dressed in jogging suits for dinner.

I think they only did it to see if they could, as they were dressed nice (?) the rest of the cruise.

We all enjoyed ourselves, and no one else at the table was upset.

The table did get some looks from others as I was in a Tux, Lovey was in a long dress, one couple in resort clothes and our joggers.

Who really cares.

• Like 2

just got off of the explorer last week and as we were having a drink in the promenade and listening to some great music, we approached a  table with two couples seated there.  I politely told that that i did not mean to interrupt their conversations but we wanted to compliment them on their attire. They were showing out and looked amazing and they so appreciated us telling them that..They said that they were proud to dress up and that it was a matter of self pride and not for any one else's benefit.....kinda made our night....we grew up taking pride in our appearance and it was always about that and not the narcissistic approach that most of our society now adheres to....just sayin'

• Like 1