Covid diagnosis after recent cruises

NW Pacific

27 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Curious how many passengers coming home with Covid after cruising in last 30 days or there abouts?  We did along with many others on Alaska Cruise, Bliss, departing Sept. 10th.  thankfully very mild.  Fully vaxed and boosted.

We were on the cruise with you and probably have posted together in "the other group". I tested positive the night before we disembarked. So that was Sept 16 and even though the symptoms were mild, I'm still REALLY TIRED. Since we all had to test negative to cruise in Canadian waters, it really was amazing how many of us tested positive!

Denise

• Like 1

30 days is not a realistic timeframe for the cruise or flights to be the cause.

We have been on 5 cruises since the restart and 3 so far this year and neither of us have caught covid and nor have our friends who have also done many.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

A very tiny bit interesting that I haven't read anyone in this thread say they caught Covid on a warm weather cruise.  Or a European cruise for that matter.   Small sample this thread is, I know.  

Good point.  Maybe, because on warm weather cruises, more time is spent on the outer decks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

A very tiny bit interesting that I haven't read anyone in this thread say they caught Covid on a warm weather cruise.  Or a European cruise for that matter.   Small sample this thread is, I know.  

I didn’t cruise in the last 30 days but cruised in May from Miami. 3 of the 4 of us that shared a cabin tested positive when we returned. That was a warm weather cruise and on our group page a lot of other people also tested positive. I don’t think it makes a difference.

Just now, RRSeeker said:

I didn’t cruise in the last 30 days but cruised in May from Miami. 3 of the 4 of us that shared a cabin tested positive when we returned. That was a warm weather cruise and on our group page a lot of other people also tested positive. I don’t think it makes a difference.

It probably doesn't.  Like I said, it was just a tiny bit interesting. 

• Like 1

I came down with covid on the last day of our 12 day Northern European cruise on the star in September.  My husband came down with it 3 days later.  We each had 3 days of being miserable and then a lingering cough.  We are vaccinated and boosted.  Age 70 and 71.  We would still have cruised even if we knew we’d get it.

We both came down with covid after our Joy cruise to Canada.  I had very little symptoms but my husband was really sick for 2 weeks.  He's negative now but still feels like  crap.  We are on another cruise in 4 weeks and hope he feels better for that. 

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

good because i am going on European cruise in 25 days, transatlantic to be exact, so all i can hope is to have a good time, and come back home healthy. Is my first cruise since 2019. I plan using my mask on the Plane towards Rome and plan on using my mask on the cruise if need be, I've read that some people have a problem with cruisers wearing their masks to that i say, their problem :-).

• Like 1

My take-away from this thread is that some people are catching COVID around the time they go on a cruise. But that is not surprising - people all over the world are still catching COVID all the time (though, thankfully, much less than 1-2 years ago).

The responses here simply confirm that COVID is still out there, but we already know that. This isn't a statistically meaningful sample to say whether you are more (or less) likely to catch COVID on a cruise than at work, at the grocery store, or in your own home.

I do recognize that some people have particular conditions that would make catching COVID especially dangerous, and they are keenly interested in the risks associated with activities including cruising. But a discussion board isn't a credible place to make a good assessment of that risk.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'll get to your quote, but first! 

My husband and I have gone on two cruises this year. One in April, on a more than fully occupied cruise as it was spring break in the tri-state region (NY/CT/NJ). We went to Bermuda and were pretty much stuck inside every day, but one, as the weather was cloudy, cold, and spit rain at us. In September we ventured to the Bahamas, Orlando, and Miami (Ms. Fiona, our friend, kept us from Bermuda). The ship was somewhere between 30 and 40% capacity. No COVID. The weather was amazing, minus our final day heading back toward NY. 

Now, I do have two friends we met on the boat. These gentlemen did, unfortunately, get COVID on our trip in September. I understand your point and am just adding an anecdote to your statement which I'd guess is probably more right than wrong. Of course we don't know, but it's a well-taken point. 

Anywhere a few people are gathering is a potential place for COVID to spread. It's pretty much endemic now. I can't wait until we're about ten years out from 2020 and folks are just getting their annual COVID shot, like we do for the Flu. COVID isn't going to scare me, and really shouldn't scare anyone else more than other sicknesses that can be passed by human air bubbles.

Happy cruising to everyone and no COVID to anyone!

• Like 3

You can catch COVID anywhere, any time. And, with flu seasons starting, you can get that too! 

I just got back from Vegas. I was with 13 friends. One now has COVID and the flu! She is a flight attendant who is with the public for a living and this is her first time with COVID. Her number was up. At some point EVERYONE will get it unless you fully isolate all the time. 

Fun fact: you can get your COVID booster and your flu shot at the same time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AviationInScale said:

I would be interested in knowing how many of the people that contracted COVID after their cruise were "vaccinated" vs. un"vaccinated".

I'm one of the ones who "caught Covid". Fully vax'd and boosted. But I don't blame the cruise AT ALL. We're leaving Oct 25 for Rome to board a transatlantic. And I'm really tired of people at home asking me "where do you think you caught it"??? Hell I don't know and why does it matter? What amazes me is that I haven't caught it before now. I'm around a lot of people. Bring on the cruising! It's good to be back 🙂

Denise

• Like 6