Change in crew ratings from end-of-cruise survey. Important. If you're not careful, the crew get dinged. Of course they do.

CruiseMrB

It used to be that in the end-of-cruise survey, the crew would get judged on how you raved or dinged them individually or by certain crew-related questions. This has changed. Now the crew are getting rated on the ENTIRE cruise experience rating, rather than just the crew questions. That means if you had a bad experience AND YOU MENTION IT IN THE SURVEY and it that had nothing to do with the crew, such as noisy neighbors, the crew is still going to get dinged for it.

We all love our cruise staff, so what that means for me is that when the survey comes around, everything was absolutely delightful and wonderful and great. If I really did have a problem, I'll just have to choose another cruise line because they have made it impossible for me to communicate with X without screwing someone.

Here is a clip from a good youtube video from Gary Bembridge on the issue. Interesting video on X in general, but up to you if it applies to you.

Edited by CruiseMrB

9 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

It used to be that in the end-of-cruise survey, the crew would get judged on how you raved or dinged them individually or by certain crew-related questions. This has changed. Now the crew are getting rated on the ENTIRE cruise experience rating, rather than just the crew questions. That means if you had a bad experience AND YOU MENTION IT IN THE SURVEY and it that had nothing to do with the crew, such as noisy neighbors, the crew is still going to get dinged for it.

We all love our cruise staff, so what that means for me is that when the survey comes around, everything was absolutely delightful and wonderful and great. If I really did have a problem, I'll just have to choose another cruise line because they have made it impossible for me to communicate with X without screwing someone.

Here is a clip from a good youtube video from Gary Bembridge on the issue. Interesting video on X in general, but up to you if it applies to you.

Don't mean to be rude so I will ask how you determined this information.  Why would X "ding" the entire crew for something that could be totally out of their control?   I'm mystified.   I look forward to your comment(s).  Thanks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Welland said:

Don't mean to be rude so I will ask how you determined this information.  Why would X "ding" the entire crew for something that could be totally out of their control?   I'm mystified.   I look forward to your comment(s).  Thanks.

Gary explains it better in the video. He does his homework.

• Haha 2

Given the history of these surveys across the hospitality industry, I would still err on the side of NOT mentioning things in the survey. For instance, in restaurants that have surveys on the little kiosk device on the tabletop, it's pretty well documented that the server gets dinged for ANY response on that survey that is less than 5 stars or whatever the highest rating is. And that's regardless of what the question is. Could be price, could be they ran out of the fish-of-the-day, could be cleanliness. Doesn't matter, server gets dinged.

I'm assuming that cruise lines are similar in this regard. Before, it did seem that the questions were segregated somewhat properly. Now that they are including anything with total experience, everything gets the highest ratings.

Edited by CruiseMrB

I love the QR code they provide to make comments directly to the Hotel Manager.  I used it quite often on our cruises since the re-start to point out specific issues and to give praise, by name, for specific staff.  

• Like 5

I have chosen to no longer do the end of cruise surveys.  That way I do not hurt my hardworking waiter because the "system" was stupid enough to assign a party of six a table(s) along a bench where hot plates had to be passed across the table.  I know we should have complained but others in our party didn't want to ask to change tables and make a fuss.  This made for a somewhat unsatisfactory dining experience for my DH and me but if I put that on the survey without any details I felt the waiter would be dinged.  We should have been assigned a a round table for six from the start instead of pushing three tables for two together with not waiter access.  Yes they did know months in advance we were a linked reservation. 

I stopped doing surveys when they were so long, biased, and wasted my time with no compensation.  Now we address any problems immediately and try to get problems resolved while on board so that the rest of the cruise goes better for us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

I have chosen to no longer do the end of cruise surveys.  That way I do not hurt my hardworking waiter because the "system" was stupid enough to assign a party of six a table(s) along a bench where hot plates had to be passed across the table.  I know we should have complained but others in our party didn't want to ask to change tables and make a fuss.  This made for a somewhat unsatisfactory dining experience for my DH and me but if I put that on the survey without any details I felt the waiter would be dinged.  We should have been assigned a a round table for six from the start instead of pushing three tables for two together with not waiter access.  Yes they did know months in advance we were a linked reservation. 

I stopped doing surveys when they were so long, biased, and wasted my time with no compensation.  Now we address any problems immediately and try to get problems resolved while on board so that the rest of the cruise goes better for us.

I absolutely understand your sentiment on filling out the survey. One problem is that the crew also gets judged upon survey response level. That's why they are always mentioning it. So, they get dinged by you NOT answering the survey. The crazy "reasoning" being that the crew should have been so great that everyone should want to fill out the survey, or something like that. 

Edited by CruiseMrB

33 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

Given the history of these surveys across the hospitality industry, I would still err on the side of NOT mentioning things in the survey. For instance, in restaurants that have surveys on the little kiosk device on the tabletop, it's pretty well documented that the server gets dinged for ANY response on that survey that is less than 5 stars or whatever the highest rating is. And that's regardless of what the question is. Could be price, could be they ran out of the fish-of-the-day, could be cleanliness. Doesn't matter, server gets dinged.

I'm assuming that cruise lines are similar in this regard. Before, it did seem that the questions were segregated somewhat properly. Now that they are including anything with total experience, everything gets the highest ratings.

You are assuming a lot in your interpretation of what happens with the ratings.  If we were to follow your advice the information provided to management would be meaningless.   I like to call it as it is.  If service is poor I say so (within reason). If service is good to exceptional I say so and reward it accordingly.   I try to stay away from woke way of thinking

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, retird said:

...  If we were to follow your advice the information provided to management would be meaningless.  

When they stop dinging people who have the least control over the situation, I'll tell them. But management set up the circumstance, so they get to deal with meaningless information.

28 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Now we address any problems immediately and try to get problems resolved while on board so that the rest of the cruise goes better for us.

I agree.

Speaking to the crew member's Supervisor is the best way to handle a problem, IMHO.

We have done this and it works well. You remain anonymous, the staff member is advised how to improve their service and guests reap the benefits. It's a win-win situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I love the QR code they provide to make comments directly to the Hotel Manager.  I used it quite often on our cruises since the re-start to point out specific issues and to give praise, by name, for specific staff.  

How have I missed this? We have been on a few cruises since the end of 2021 and I never seen it 

22 minutes ago, CruiseMrB said:

When they stop dinging people who have the least control over the situation

Please translate.

What does ding mean- sacked/ not given the gratuities that I have paid ?
Obviously a US slang word.

Edited by upwarduk

I am honest, but very positive on surveys.   I will rate something a 10 even if it is an 8 or 9.   On my recent cruise survey,  I did not share the sommelier spilled an entire glass of water on my husband  (He had to go change his pants.  It looked like he peed himself.  LOL) because accidents happen and the sommelier was otherwise excellent in his service.   I did share that the guest service rep was rude, unhelpful, and embarrassed me over a credit that was not applied.    She refused to apply it even though I provided proof.   I had to politely insist based on her attitude and the principle of it.

Pick and choose what you share based on the overall experience.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Please translate.

What does ding mean- sacked/ not given the gratuities that I have paid ?
Obviously a US slang word.

Nothing quite so formal.   It means a negative mark.   Like a shopping cart running into a car can ding it.   In the employment context, it means a negative mark on someone's employment record.  Enough dings could mean sacking.  

• Like 2

So if I say to our waiter "My wife and me would like to see the wine list" while wearing shorts and a baseball hat, your head will explode??

Note to self: run post thru Proper English checker...people are watching (well, reading...)