Dress code

Ja21

I think I'm being to sound like an old f**t on the Cunard board. 

In my opinion there are venues such as the pubs , the canteen oops sorry the buffet, even the new American diner, which should be anything goes . Pubs and diners ņ in UK have no dress code.

However when it comes to nice restaurants in elegant rooms with smart waiters serving you food at well set out tables with table cloths , nice wine glasses etc etc. Then why not look smart. Why the competition to be as casual as possible. What's difficult about packing a nice shirt and some smart trousers. 

If the future of P&O cruising is the can't be bothered crowd then after next cruise , it will be the S's for me , Saga , Silversea and Seabourn 

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

...If the future of P&O cruising is the can't be bothered crowd then after next cruise , it will be the S's for me , Saga , Silversea and Seabourn 

Same here - if I win big on my Premium Bonds...😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think I'm being to sound like an old f**t on the Cunard board. 

In my opinion there are venues such as the pubs , the canteen oops sorry the buffet, even the new American diner, which should be anything goes . Pubs and diners ņ in UK have no dress code.

However when it comes to nice restaurants in elegant rooms with smart waiters serving you food at well set out tables with table cloths , nice wine glasses etc etc. Then why not look smart. Why the competition to be as casual as possible. What's difficult about packing a nice shirt and some smart trousers. 

If the future of P&O cruising is the can't be bothered crowd then after next cruise , it will be the S's for me , Saga , Silversea and Seabourn 

Very well said. Excellent post.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

What's difficult about packing a nice shirt and some smart trousers. 

Nothing difficult except it does take up valuable space for some non-formal gear I'd want to take, or some electronic device to play with on board.  Probably the latter in my case to be honest.  One less thing to iron before and probably on board too when it comes out all creased.  Why also pack something I don't need and won't use?  

Plus "nice" to me is different to everyone else's definition of "nice".  Personally I prefer "exceptional" to "nice"!  "Nice" in itself isn't a helpful word in my opinion.

As I have mentioned before on this thread go back 60 years and full out black tie and dinner jackets would be required, people on here have already said "though I take a suit rather than DJ".  So some standard slippage there already.  Now smart casual is coming in more and more so more slippage there.  In 30 years times I'll be moaning that ripped jeans and shorts were observed on "<insert name of choice> night" so standards and expectations will have changed again.  Except it won't bother me really.

Though based on reading posters here the revolution may be quicker than expected if people jump ship to other lines.  It will be interesting to see what Saga etc will be like in 20 years time.  That said there will always be a market for the formal traveller I suspect.  P&O are adapting to their new markets and customers and need that repeat business from the next generation I'm afraid.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Nothing difficult except it does take up valuable space for some non-formal gear I'd want to take, or some electronic device to play with on board.  Probably the latter in my case to be honest.  One less thing to iron before and probably on board too when it comes out all creased.  Why also pack something I don't need and won't use?  

Plus "nice" to me is different to everyone else's definition of "nice".  Personally I prefer "exceptional" to "nice"!  "Nice" in itself isn't a helpful word in my opinion.

As I have mentioned before on this thread go back 60 years and full out black tie and dinner jackets would be required, people on here have already said "though I take a suit rather than DJ".  So some standard slippage there already.  Now smart casual is coming in more and more so more slippage there.  In 30 years times I'll be moaning that ripped jeans and shorts were observed on "<insert name of choice> night" so standards and expectations will have changed again.  Except it won't bother me really.

Though based on reading posters here the revolution may be quicker than expected if people jump ship to other lines.  It will be interesting to see what Saga etc will be like in 20 years time.  That said there will always be a market for the formal traveller I suspect.  P&O are adapting to their new markets and customers and need that repeat business from the next generation I'm afraid.  

Times and trends are changing less suits and formal wear are being purchased by men, a number of Saville Row tailors are close to or have gone out of business, M&S have stopped selling suits in over 100 of its stores, as less formal wear sales rise. Earlier this year the Office of National Statistics took suits out of its basket of goods, they had been there for 47 years, but the low numbers of purchased no longer justified them being there.

I own one suit, which I purchased for a wedding in 2006, it’s probably been one 4 or 5 times since then, my dinner suit was £30 from George at ASDA, only ever worn on cruises, it no longer fits and I have no intention of replacing it. I have a jacket and trousers that almost match, if needed I would wear them on any so called formal evening with one of my 30 year old ties, I don’t buy those pieces of pointless attire anymore. I have a wardrobe full of smart attire suitable for all occasions, except it seems many, but not all cruise companies. 

I went to a business networking meeting a couple of months back none of the attendees wore a suit or were formally attired, not a single tie was in evidence. P&O and others are following the trend and reducing the numbers of formal evenings and eventually will probably eventually phase them out in favour of smart dress, this doesn’t stop people dressing up if they wish, but it removes the enforced dressing up if you wish to visit parts of the ship that would be off limits currently on a gala or whatever the latest name for a formal evening is.

• Like 3

Maybe it will end up like this. Tickets for formal nights are available from reception. The formal venue will be XXX dining room and YYY bar, an enhanced menu including wine will apply. Formal dress is required, the code is blah blah blah. You will be refused entry without formal wear.

Formal events are meant to be special so make them so 😉

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

No need to be afraid, from my observations in the MDRs on formal nights, the younger generation are very willing to embrace the dress codes, and their children seem to love the dressing up experience as well.

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

No need to be afraid, from my observations in the MDRs on formal nights, the younger generation are very willing to embrace the dress codes, and their children seem to love the dressing up experience as well.

Not afraid at all.  If I have to wear a suit and tie I will.  But it's not mandated therefore my choice is not to.  I accept I can't go into the Crows Nest on those nights.

Good on the younger generation.  It probably doesn't have the same impact on them given it's a rare thing to do.  I say this given there are 20-somethings in my team who have never had to wear a tie let alone a suit.  Having spent half my working life in suit and tie I'd rather not have that reminder on a holiday.

Spinning it round a little... what's the actual problem with smart casual in some areas on a formal night if it is not mandated?  I don't take offence at something sitting suited and booted next to me in the Beach House on formal night.  Albeit the group of four that did wore loud waistcoats, were already heavily under the influence and very lairy, but hey it was formal night so...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Not afraid at all.  If I have to wear a suit and tie I will.  But it's not mandated therefore my choice is not to.  I accept I can't go into the Crows Nest on those nights.

Good on the younger generation.  It probably doesn't have the same impact on them given it's a rare thing to do.  I say this given there are 20-somethings in my team who have never had to wear a tie let alone a suit.  Having spent half my working life in suit and tie I'd rather not have that reminder on a holiday.

Spinning it round a little... what's the actual problem with smart casual in some areas on a formal night if it is not mandated?  I don't take offence at something sitting suited and booted next to me in the Beach House on formal night.  Albeit the group of four that did wore loud waistcoats, were already heavily under the influence and very lairy, but hey it was formal night so...

Exactly my sentiments.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Red Leicester said:

Saga already have what is effectively optional formal. Whilst they have formal nights, formal dress is only required in the main MDR, the (Grand) Dining Room. The other MDR, the Grill, which offers the same menu and waiter service accepts smart casual as does the rest of the ship.

• Like 1

One thing I did notice on my recent Iona cruise was that most of those wearing black tie were wearing standard black tie and almost nobody was wearing dinner jackets of ‘unusual’ colours and incredibly few wearing ‘amusing’ bow ties.

On 11/13/2022 at 4:26 PM, 9265359 said:

One thing I did notice on my recent Iona cruise was that most of those wearing black tie were wearing standard black tie and almost nobody was wearing dinner jackets of ‘unusual’ colours and incredibly few wearing ‘amusing’ bow ties.

Probably reflects the high proportion of first time cruisers who are not sure what is and what is not acceptable so opt to play it safe.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:15 PM, wowzz said:

I think the reason is, that women have so many more options. Dresses, skirts, trousers, assorted tops etc. 

Us poor men don't have the same flexibikity. The killer is the "tie" requirement.  So, you need a shirt with a collar,  and then it all goes down hill. Dinner jacket, or lounge suit, or sports jacket etc.

My wife can throw on (hopefully she won't read this!) a sparkly tee shirt, a jacket and black tousers and she is perfectly fine for formal night.  If  I put on a pristine white tee shirt, jacket and black chinos, I will not get past the podium . Pure discrimination 😁

Don't get me wrong - I do like getting dressed up, but male options are severely limited.

Go on I dare you!  Put on that sparkly dress and see if they let you in the MDR. Apparently you can choose what sex you want to be nowadays.

• Haha 4

Not long back from my first Cruise on P&O Aurora, while my biggest trepidation regarding the cruise was the dress code things turned out fine other than one small but significant bugbear...

We opted out of the formal nights specifically as neither of us is massively keen on the whole dressing up thing, and I barely own a suit, let alone a tux... However, it rather annoyed me to see people frequenting the Horizon buffet restaurant in their formal attire- there are specific signs up asking people to maintain a casual dress in the Horizon... I get it that they may not be going to the restaurants, and just to one of the bars with the dress code in place, but seriously? I am expected to adhere to the dress code and avoid the restaurants on formal nights. Surely the same should be expected in the specifically designated casual areas...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Open_G said:

Not long back from my first Cruise on P&O Aurora, while my biggest trepidation regarding the cruise was the dress code things turned out fine other than one small but significant bugbear...

We opted out of the formal nights specifically as neither of us is massively keen on the whole dressing up thing, and I barely own a suit, let alone a tux... However, it rather annoyed me to see people frequenting the Horizon buffet restaurant in their formal attire- there are specific signs up asking people to maintain a casual dress in the Horizon... I get it that they may not be going to the restaurants, and just to one of the bars with the dress code in place, but seriously? I am expected to adhere to the dress code and avoid the restaurants on formal nights. Surely the same should be expected in the specifically designated casual areas...

That’s a very interesting viewpoint, which I don’t think I’ve seen seriously expressed in these forums before.

I can’t fault your logic, so I have to agree with you. I have a suspicion it might not generally be agreed though! 

3 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

I've hinted at it before but not explicitly.   I imagine uproar if formal wear was turned away from a non-formal venue.  A case of pick your battles maybes.

That said what harm did some in formal attire do to your meal in Horizon?  Did it make it taste different? 

You can of course reverse that argument for informal in the MDR……

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cheshire said:

If Arvia has two formal nights on a carribean cruise it’s a faff packing one outfit for that alone.  Jackets, shoes, formal shirts. Weight is tight enough as it is 

Although I do follow the dress code, and prefer the MDRs to the buffet for dinner, I do sympathise with the weight issue for fly cruises.  However we always took formal wear when we did fly cruises, so it can be done without compromising any casual outfits.

• Like 1